Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Minelab Equinox 6”coil commentary with pics 31 hours testing / 31 hours field time (updated 9-14-2018)

Posted by tnsharpshooter 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Between yesterday and today I spent 6 hours afield with Equinox and small coil and Xp Deus and Hf elliptical coil.

The site used very iron ridden and old.

I compared located suspect nonferous targets while alternating which detector was used to locate a suspect target.
The freq band of 28.8khz used on Deus.
Field 2 and park 2 used on Equinox.

Both of these detectors with small coils do well in iron.
I do think Deus is easier to get one’s arms around faster though.

Modern trash sites the Equinox has a leg up though.

Both these detectors with coils mentioned above have one thing in common. Both will alert on suspended vertically positioned nails especially square nails.
Deus and LF coil even run at 18khz doesn’t seem to do near as often.

Is this behavior freq driven or algorithm driven?
I can’t say.

The Equinox will indeed find some nonferrous (usually smaller) that Deus and Hf coil while in the mid band freq range CAN’T alert on,
I witnessed this many times. Sometimes using higher freq band would solve the problem, sometimes not, but remember the 2 coils above not the same size and shape.

Bigger iron I think Equinox has advantage for quicker recognition based on tonal behavior.
But Equinox falls short when compared to Deus and elliptical coil for Nox alerting on nail head with a short portion of shank attached.

Both detectors seem very stable Emi wise in all of the sites I have had them in.

Some targets today field 2 notta, yet park 2 was a hitting. Even with disc in field 2 set to 0.
Some targets though raising disc to factory default using field 2 would take them out tonally.

The Deus here I think is easier on the ears (from ferrous falsing) even if Deus is set up hotter to run.

I experimented a bit with iron bias setting on Equinox. But didn’t get enough quantifiable data to post.

Yesterday I compared also to a single freq VLF wearing smaller coil. It was QUITE evident the Equinox was punching down in the soil better with GOOD I.D to boot vs the single freqs detector.

I love the fuller tonal presentation the Equniox offers on nonferous targets.

Disc setting using Deus were altered while comsring targets from -3 to 7.0 using full tones and or pitch program.

Neither one of these detectors with the smaller coils are going anywhere. I love both.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/15/2018 01:33AM by tnsharpshooter.
All I can say is WOW...That is some great information. I just purchased a NOX800 and am thinking seriously about a 6" coil vs. the std. This indepth information will be invaluable once I have a chance to really digest what is here.
Thank You TNSHARPSHOOTER for your committment to the testing and then sharing your hard work with the rest of us.
Kerry
mntnflyr4fun Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> All I can say is WOW...That is some great informat
> ion. I just purchased a NOX800 and am thinking ser
> iously about a 6" coil vs. the std. This indepth i
> nformation will be invaluable once I have a chance
> to really digest what is here.
> Thank You TNSHARPSHOOTER for your committment to t
> he testing and then sharing your hard work with th
> e rest of us.
> Kerry

You are welcome.
The small coil works. Person needs some patience. Used mine yesterday in a site where Etrac and stock coil had been and Eqx with stock coil had been (real small patch by corner of burned down home like 6’x6’’ section) . In litersllly a few minutes it popped out a few older coins using 6” coil.
Imo stronger suit is modern trash vs nails.
Deep on lower and mid conductors for size with right settings,
Makes Eqx featherweight and super enjoyable detector to use.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2019 03:52AM by tnsharpshooter.
Man, this is a incredible amount of data/information, trying to get caught up.

Is there a Cliff Notes version available? ; )

The 6” sounds like a killer coil, reminds of my CTX 6”, that reaped good results for me in the iron.

So far I gather the 5khz especially in gold does awesome especially for lower conductors in iron, (iron bias 2/ speed 6-8)....

Thanks a lot!

Aaron

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2019 08:27PM by Aaron.