Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Impact bags semi-key Barber smileys with beer

Posted by Cal_cobra 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Impact bags semi-key Barber smileys with beer
May 23, 2017 05:49AM
Sunday I took the Impact out for an early morning hunt to beat the heat. Went to one of my most pounded sites, it's one that's produced dozens of silver coins, IHPs, early teens wheats, tokens, etc. It went dry for a spell, no silver for several years until I introduced the Red Racer there, then repeated the feat with the Racer2, and then again Sunday with the Impact I bagged a semi-key date 1893S Barber dime and four early wheats:

I ran the 11" coil, DI3, 99 gain thumbs down I really wanted to run 5Khz, but only if I could run it in a high gain mode (97-98-99 gain). this particular site has always had a bit of EMI, so much so in one area you cannot run any 14KHz machine without it going bonkers. I was surprised that 5Khz was effectively unusable at this site, so I switched it to 20Khz. The Impact ran smoothly at 20Khz and 99 gain, I'm finding this to be my frequency of choice at most California and Nevada sites with mineralization or alkali soil to deal with.

One observation is that the Impact @ 20Khz not only ran smoother then my Racer1/2 at this site, but the audio was also cleaner and the TID more stable.

It got hot and the ground was dry and hard, so I'll revisit this site this winter after it gets a bit of rain, but I was stoked with the Barber!

hh,
Cal
Re: Impact bags semi-key Barber smileys with beer
May 23, 2017 06:20AM
Brian, How deep was the Barber ? And the greenies ? Do you think any of your prior machines could have got them ? Congratz on the barber at a pounded site !
May 23, 2017 06:51AM
Hey Tom,

The Barber was right at 7" measured with my carrot top, wheats were around the same. At this particular site, everything from 6" and above was stripped long before I started on it.
May 23, 2017 07:03AM
Nice save/s Cal thumbs down
May 23, 2017 08:32AM
Nice hit, Brian, and some nice hunting over all. HH jim tn
May 23, 2017 10:43AM
In my experience, returning to a productive site after a year will usually produce some good finds even if using the same machine as before. Perhaps only the Impact could have made these finds and perhaps not. Congratulations regardless.
May 23, 2017 01:02PM
hey Cal, congrats on the barber and early 'S' wheats.....

what's on opinion on whether or not your R2 would have snagged those?

I really don't want to sell my R2 and move to the Impact, lol
May 23, 2017 01:07PM
Nice work, Brian!
The Impact has some interesting modes. Awesome thus far and just scratching the surface.

Dean
May 23, 2017 01:32PM
Nice finds, Cal. Who doesn't love Barbers, and wheats are the ihps of tomorrow <g>. I envy you the S coins; they're too rare here on the Atlantic coast. Are Philadelphia coins harder to come by there on the left coast?
As to DI3, did you just pick one (mode)? Or was there a rationale for mode selection? There are so many interesting mode choices.

Wayne

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?
May 23, 2017 04:49PM
Nice dig on that dime. Kudos to you for handling the coin properly and not scratching the surfaces with a hasty cleaning.

You can't hurt old corroded copper and nickel dug finds...
May 23, 2017 06:29PM
This particular site is a small spot, maybe 30'x60' in size. Over the past ten years or so I've taken every machine I've ever owned there to detect it in the order noted below. At first I found nothing, but I felt given the history of the site it should have something, so I'd drag every machine I could to it and give it another try. Finally after getting something that could punch through the (mild) mineralization at this site AND punch down 6" and deeper, the site lit up with old coins. Previous hunters had sanitized the top 6" and I'm sure picked some of the deeper silver, but past 6" they left a lot of coins. Here's the chronology of detectors and success or not they had at this site:

Fisher Coin$trike - undetectable due to EMI
Fisher F4 - nothing
Minelab Sovereign XS2A - nothing
Fisher F5 - nothing (in retrospect I'm surprised on this one)
Fisher CZ70 - BINGO!! Dozens of silver coins, IHPs, wheats, a token, etc.
Fisher F75 LTSD1/2 - Dozens of silver coins, IHPs, wheats, a token, etc.
Teknetics Omega 8000 V4 - Several wheats and silver coins
Minelab Etrac - nice 1800's bakery token, but no coins.

Site goes silver dry for several years. Any machine I take to the site I work my butt off just to eek out a single IHP or wheatie, no silver for years.

Red Racer on it's maiden voyage (site checked minutes before with F75LTD2 with no diggable conductor signals) - Red Racer bags on it's first ever hunt an early Mercury dime, a silver war nickle, and two teens wheaties. Subsequent hunts continue to produce silver and other period coins, including one record hunt with most period coins found ever in a single hunt. Racer2 had similar results. Note that the audio and TID were frequently pretty skewed at this particular site for whatever reason (I think it's a combo of EMI and mineralization, but could be wrong) on the Racers, but if you had any conductor you dug it.

Now the Impact also achieved success, operating smoother with better TID and cleaner audio. Possible the Racers could've detected these coins, but they didn't when I tried them at the exact same spots previously.

hh,
Cal

canslawhero Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> hey Cal, congrats on the barber and early 'S' whea
> ts.....
>
> what's on opinion on whether or not your R2 would
> have snagged those?
>
> I really don't want to sell my R2 and move to the
> Impact, lol
May 23, 2017 06:34PM
Wayne we're certainly blessed with bountiful San Francisco minted coins, many of which are key and semi-key dates. Until around the WWI era, we don't see a ton of Philadelphia coins. Prior to the SF mint, more gold rush/emigrant rush era, we find more Spanish coins, and coins from all around the world.

I only detected in the one mode. My rationale for mode selection was that it's the same setup I used (successfully) on the Racer1 and Racer2, and I wanted an apples to apples comparison.

Still bummed that 5Khz was a no go thumbs up

hh,
Cal

ncwayne Wrote:
> Nice finds, Cal. Who doesn't love Barbers, and whe
> ats are the ihps of tomorrow <g>. I envy you the S
> coins; they're too rare here on the Atlantic coast
> . Are Philadelphia coins harder to come by there o
> n the left coast?
> As to DI3, did you just pick one (mode)? Or was th
> ere a rationale for mode selection? There are so m
> any interesting mode choices.
>
> Wayne
May 23, 2017 06:37PM
I try to handle them properly, never rub them and try to not ding them with the shovel/Lesche (not at a 100% success rate on this).

I don't carry fu-fu juice with me, so sometimes they get field cleaned....with my built in coin washer grinning smiley

go-rebels Wrote:
> Nice dig on that dime. Kudos to you for handling
> the coin properly and not scratching the surfaces
> with a hasty cleaning.
>
> You can't hurt old corroded copper and nickel dug
> finds...
May 23, 2017 06:54PM
Nice save Cal
May 24, 2017 03:48AM
Nice one Brian.
May 24, 2017 11:42AM
WTG Brian!
May 24, 2017 01:56PM
Cal, was the frequency shift of ANY help with the EMI on 5KHz? Did you have to shift the frequency at your 20 KHz setting to reduce the EMI noise?

Wayne

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?
May 24, 2017 03:34PM
Unfortunately none of the subfrequencies on 5Khz would mitigate the EMI. I didn't need to do a frequency shift on 20Khz at this site, but I have successfully leveraged it at other sites.

-Cal

ncwayne Wrote:
> Cal, was the frequency shift of ANY help with the
> EMI on 5KHz? Did you have to shift the frequency a
> t your 20 KHz setting to reduce the EMI noise?
>
> Wayne
May 24, 2017 05:59PM
Was the CZ 70 That got most the Silver that Super Hot one You sold that Tom validated?
May 24, 2017 10:00PM
I preach gentle handling all the time but I rubbed my best find ever, an 1866 Philadelphia seated dime dug in Ohio. I just couldn't help myself and probably wiped $250 from its value. Today it sits in a PCGS "details" holder. sad smiley

Check the Redbook on that one, way more rare than a 1916-d Mercury...
May 25, 2017 12:33AM
great write-up on the succession of machines over a given-known spot.
May 25, 2017 06:05AM
That Barber is exciting...congrats, Brian!
May 25, 2017 07:35PM
Nope, that was my backup, I kept the deeper of the two .

Harold,ILL. Wrote:
> Was the CZ 70 That got most the Silver that Super
> Hot one You sold that Tom validated?