Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Equinox first impression

Posted by Shelton 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Equinox first impression
July 30, 2018 10:44AM
I will be honest... perfect build quality, but not well balanced. Very good audio, but narrow ID scale. Fast. Deep? I'm not sure. I tested it only one day, so... I was comparing it to Fortuna PRO. Russian VLF. My opinion? Overpriced but good.
Re: Equinox first impression
July 30, 2018 01:02PM
Give yourself more time on it Shelton, it's worth it.
July 30, 2018 01:06PM
I know it, but this is not the huge step forward as Minelab advertising... just good machine but nothing less or more I think...
July 30, 2018 02:12PM
Try tracking on. You can increase sensitivity and it then goes very deep.

Rick
July 30, 2018 06:42PM
First impressions can be wrong.

This is a machine that runs very well at factory settings but is tremendously adjustable. I think this may be the first time I saw over priced as an issue. Get a 600?

Past(or)Tom
Using a Legend, a Deus 2, an Equinox 800, a Tarsacci MDT 8000, & a few others...
with my beloved, fading Corgi, Sadie
July 30, 2018 06:44PM
July 30, 2018 09:16PM
You must not own a CTX ... talking about over priced. Ive very happy with the price of this thing for what its found me. Ive got several Xcal..... ive had to modify and a CTX.... so price wise and include the warranty for BEACH hunting its pretty well untouchable. I think ML underestimated it as a beach machine..... as a dirt machine i really cant say, ive only used it a few times off the beach. It a really raw machine compared to some others thats for sure. Im not certain which other machine has this kind of freqs ... and mullti water proof?
July 30, 2018 09:55PM
I too have several Excals and a CTX that has not seen action since the 800 arrived so... I just don't know what to make about it being over priced- that is why I suggested a $650 600. I think the 600 may well be the best bang for the buck going today. My Makro Racer 2 and Gold were about the same price as the 800 and while they came with extra coils, the 800 did include a very nice wireless set up (plus waterproof to 3 meters!). But all that is for naught it's the performance, baby!

No detector suits everyone. I don't mind that there are people who just won't like it.

Past(or)Tom
Using a Legend, a Deus 2, an Equinox 800, a Tarsacci MDT 8000, & a few others...
with my beloved, fading Corgi, Sadie
July 31, 2018 11:23AM
I think we are finally seeing more honest discussions ...... both good and bad about the machine now. But... like most give it some time. It seems we always start off with nothing but praise on a new offering.......then comes all the negative posts..... now for those considering this machine i think we are getting a better picture of what it might or might not do for you..... and is it worth the money?
July 31, 2018 11:25AM
Time will tell.
July 31, 2018 12:41PM
dewcon4414 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think we are finally seeing more honest discussi
> ons ...... both good and bad about the machine now
> . But... like most give it some time. It seems
> we always start off with nothing but praise on a n
> ew offering.......then comes all the negative post
> s..... now for those considering this machine i th
> ink we are getting a better picture of what it mig
> ht or might not do for you..... and is it worth th
> e money?

Exactly! When I first used the Nox, I thought, "This is nothing special." I had to give it time for me to learn it's language. Now it's my go to machine. I just ordered the 6 inch coil. We will see what that brings.
July 31, 2018 12:55PM
Let’s see.
Woukd it be so bad if the Nox was a tie (in categories) actually when compaeing to some other models.

Yes folks head to previously hunted out sites and have a look see with their Noxs.

Weight, ergonomics, ease of use, tone quality, headphone connectivity options, actual manufacturer support —all these things should be considered too.

I get the idea some folks just bought their Noxs to just try to prove Minelab wrong or find fault with the new tech.
I sure didn’t.

I always keep an open mind when assessing a new to me detector.

And I really didn’t have anyone else to base any of my initial thoughts off of either.
As I was one of the first to get Nox 800 in USA.(actual purchaser, not tester).
So my actual findings, thoughts about Nox wouldn’t based off another person’s thoughts.
So no cheating for me. I wasn’t swayed by another detectorist using or with anything they posted about Nox,

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/31/2018 12:57PM by tnsharpshooter.
July 31, 2018 01:00PM
My first feeling was... nothing special. Just well-made metal detector. But I need more time to think about it.
July 31, 2018 01:08PM
Shelton Wrote:
> My first feeling was... nothing special. Just well
> -made metal detector. But I need more time to thin
> k about it.

Shelton, you are not one of those folks I was referring to above.
Actually i find your feedback about detectors useful.
Lot like I find Ghound’s feedback.

Folks outside of USA. I value their feedback about detectors too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/31/2018 01:09PM by tnsharpshooter.
July 31, 2018 01:30PM
Shelton Wrote:
> I will be honest... perfect build quality, but not
> well balanced. Very good audio, but narrow ID scal
> e. Fast. Deep? I'm not sure. I tested it only one
> day, so... I was comparing it to Fortuna PRO. Russ
> ian VLF. My opinion? Overpriced but good.

Perfect build quality - would Agree with a Caveat to the 'twist lock grips - they feel as if they could use extra turns.

Well balanced - would Agree only if it is kept at a short length.

Very good audio - would Not Agree.

Narrow ID scale - Agree.

Fast - Agree.

Deep - would Not Agree at this juncture. (need to use an 800 right thru the fall and into winter as my sites come alive in winter conditions)

Overpriced - would Not Agree. (gotta be Bargain of the Year in US dollars - not such a bargain in British Pounds or Euros)
July 31, 2018 05:06PM
Rick, N. MI Wrote:
> Try tracking on. You can increase sensitivity and
> it then goes very deep.
>
> Rick

Pretty amazing huh. Field 1 Tracking on an sens 24 smooth as silk in my lakes and DEEP!
August 01, 2018 03:46PM
Lets see if they do some software updates and can make the machine even better the deus is at the top of updates and the impact I feel fell short. Updates that make changes are more sales if the machine gets better after the company listens to the user. Hope this is the case here with Minelab

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
August 01, 2018 04:04PM
Lawrenzo Wrote:
> Lets see if they do some software updates and can
> make the machine even better the deus is at the to
> p of updates and the impact I feel fell short. Upd
> ates that make changes are more sales if the machi
> ne gets better after the company listens to the us
> er. Hope this is the case here with Minelab

I have to agree on that. I had a bit higher hopes for Impact feature updates. As for Minelab updates, I am guessing there will be two or three maximum all fixes. The manufactures are not understanding that while updating may cost time and money, myself, and others out there, would be a small fee for feature updates. Not bug fixes.
August 01, 2018 08:17PM
Shelton Wrote:

Let us know what you think after a few weeks. You will probably find the Nox fast and reasonably deep. I don't know anything about the Fortuna PRO, but the Nox seems as deep as my Etrac (no scientific tests), and it most definitely is a lot faster and with a much easier to read display--night and day. As for price, all mid to high level machines (Nox being mid) are probably overpriced if you consider just the cost of electronics and manufacture. But of course, a lot of that extra price pays for development costs. And then the market probably isn't large enough to let true economies of scale come into play. The Nox is actually reasonably priced compared to what ML charges for its other multi-frequency machines.
August 02, 2018 11:19PM
My perspective is it's anther tool in your detecting tool box, now what scenarios to use it in and I think it's a great machine. Hopefully you have more then one tool in your garage to work on your car or around your house?

Perfect, nope. Over priced? Compared to? A CTX MSRP is over priced IMO.

If I have a site that has zero to mild mineralization, for relic hunting I'd likely grab my Multi Kruzer, but for a site with mineralization the EQ800 is going to bring it to life. I've been impressed with it's capabilities thus far, but next month I should be able to get to the site I dug the gold quarter eagle at last December, it's heavy alkali soil (Nokta Impact wouldn't even ground grab there, when it finally balanced it was at something like 22), I suspect the EQ800 is going to light up this site!
August 03, 2018 07:54PM
Shelton Wrote:

Warm up the cuff (SLOWLY) with a heat gun and bend it to fit your arm. It will make a huge difference.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2018 07:55PM by flgliderpilot.