Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Small ladies rings

Posted by flgliderpilot 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Small ladies rings
August 03, 2018 07:34PM
I'd always wondered why I find plenty of rings... lots of small silver rings, but never any small gold or platinum rings. I watched Tom's DVD and he mentioned something interesting.. he mentioned that platinum and stainless steel where actually very close, and close to wet sand and difficult for machines to pick up.

So, I pulled out a 5/16" stainless steel washer, which would be my test for a small platinum ring.

I buried it in the sand and went over it with my CZ-21. NOTHING! WHAT!?

I dug it up and laid it on the sand. Max depth (air test) was about 1" - 2". Above that nothing, not even a faint signal even in Autotune with sensitivity maxed out.

I pulled out my Equinox, and it gets the same washer at 8", or 10" depending on sensitivity setting.

All these years my trusty CZ was just not getting the depth I needed to find these rings. Interestingly enough, I found this washer on a wet sand hunt with my Equinox and it was fairly deep.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2018 07:36PM by flgliderpilot.
Re: Small ladies rings
August 03, 2018 10:33PM
The pitfalls of using a 'fancy' 5kHz detector to find a 50kHz target.
The Equinox stands a better chance because one of its frequencies is 39kHz, so even if it doesn't register at the lower frequencies, it should be smart enough to 'hit' it.
August 04, 2018 02:13PM
Small womans gold rings are the highest percentage of gold rings lost while platinum rings are looking for a needle in a haystack while the same white gold rings come in even lower...so platinum or white gold are tough to find in a saltwater environment with any unit...Might want to try the same tests using the above not a stainless steel washer and would love to hear the results...
August 04, 2018 02:29PM
Would love to see more tests like this. In my air tests with the nox I could not detect my wifes wedding band with any iron bias so my setting is zero, which gave me several inches. I am not sure I would see it in the wet sand at all.

Nox600, CTX, CZ21, Excal II and White's DF with 920i stealthscoop...I live and hunt at the beach in Wilm NCsmiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2018 02:31PM by adamBomb.
August 04, 2018 07:38PM
Its difficult to say ...... that womens small rings are the most lost....... why, because we arent finding a lot of them. THIS is exactly why we need a bit more tweak in the beach programs. Perhaps ...... lighter smaller rings stay on better? Kind of like chains..... we have it in our minds a lot of them are lost out there...... are they? A lot of its just SWAG when it comes to whats being lost..... you dont know what you dont know. Not nearly as many people got the pricey PLTs...... they are heavy... but i dont think they are as slick inside as some other rings. IB..... will surprise you if you are using any in beach mode........ stuff just disappears out there.
August 04, 2018 09:26PM
dewcon4414 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Its difficult to say ...... that womens small ring
> s are the most lost....... why, because we arent f
> inding a lot of them. THIS is exactly why we nee
> d a bit more tweak in the beach programs. Perhaps
> ...... lighter smaller rings stay on better? Kind
> of like chains..... we have it in our minds a lot
> of them are lost out there...... are they? A lot
> of its just SWAG when it comes to whats being lost
> ..... you dont know what you dont know. Not near
> ly as many people got the pricey PLTs...... they a
> re heavy... but i dont think they are as slick ins
> ide as some other rings. IB..... will surprise yo
> u if you are using any in beach mode........ stuff
> just disappears out there.

My theory is this: Light rings move with pull tabs and pennies. So while we are avoiding sanded in areas and looking for heavy targets, the womens rings with more surface area and less metal are in the "sanded in" areas we hate hunting. Add to it that most machines have a hard time picking these up, and you have a recipe for them being overlooked.

Someone on another forum mentioned digging 800 pulltabs... and in that he found a $4,000.00 diamond ring.

So it just comes down to having the right tool, and the right determination.

I have found quite a few small silver rings, always with the light targets...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2018 09:29PM by flgliderpilot.
August 04, 2018 10:18PM
Pilot hit the nail on the head "Tom mentioned that platinum and stainless steel where actually very close, and close to wet sand and difficult for machines to pick up"

Now in a park in a non wet salt sand environment...one would pick them up but battling foil, tabs and the like.... which most parks are loaded with....
August 04, 2018 10:52PM
(((( I think we're starting to get somewhere...now! ))))
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes.... the high-filigree rings can travel a bit.

Small rings fall off of a finger in the exact same fashion...… and at the exact same rate as large rings. (One reason is...…. you are even less likely to feel a light ring fall off).
August 04, 2018 11:08PM
I dont avoid those flip up zones.... I hit them heavy because many dont. I dig the heck out of trash zones. I notice otheres get around to the rises where the small targets are.....but with the Nox Im looking for those small gold right now just to see what the machine can do..... but I believe im find out what it cant do. We all have our assumptions ....we know there are a lot of small women's rings.... we see the chains and know white gold and Plt is hard to find. So if its there why arent we finding it....? ML needs to take a look at the beach programs again...... or not much has changed for beach finds. Still looking for rings.
August 04, 2018 11:40PM
Hunting freshwater might provide a little insight into this too. If I understand the theory correctly, it is that in saltwater environments, that you aren't finding the smaller ladies rings because of the current detector tech. Well in freshwater, that part of the equation has been removed and we still don't find many, if any smaller ladies rings.

In fact, looking back on the rings I have personally found, I don't have one single ladies ring with diamonds, or any other stone. I found 16 rings last year in my fresh water swimming hole spots. All of them were mens rings, and that is running zero disc, digging everything in the water. I think I am at 8 rings out of the same areas so far this year, all of them being mens rings. Just my observation as to why, is from going to some of these same areas to swim myself. I can tell you that at least in this area, the demographic break down goes like this:

The more active females in the water are younger...ages 20ish on down. Most of these will not have any jewelry on, and if so it may just be a class ring or promise ring. Guaranteed to not be anything of value.

The younger females that are married, often have small children, and are usually on watch duty for them while they play. Or are in shallower water playing with them. That would be the only activity they do in which they have a big chance of losing a ring. Some of the ladies in their 30s will be on tubes or floats and will just hang out talking to their friends while sunning, but nothing of big activity to lose a ring...unless it is when they are paddling the float.

At least in my area, the vast majority of older women that are more likely to have nicer jewelry, don't even get in the water. Some might go out to waist deep to cool off but it's usually an in and out thing.

Now...compare that to the male counterparts. They are often throwing footballs, water frisbees, splashing their kids with their hands, or picking their kids up high out of the water so they can do big splashes or cannonballs.

I think that's why the majority of the rings I find are mens rings...they just do more stuff to increase the likely hood of losing one.
August 05, 2018 12:30AM
In over 40 years detecting I've only found one Platinum ring. Has 3 diamonds for a total of 1 carat. I was using a White's PI and it was the only target recovered that day. I was hunting the wet sand in FL and didn't hit a single target so I moved to a different beach. Walked down to the waters edge and hit the ring. Turned around and went home as I knew it only down hill from there.
August 05, 2018 12:31AM
It's not a matter of electronics , geographics or demographics , the lack of finding small ladies rings these days is a matter of DERMA-graphics , as in , they don't buy jewelry anymore , they get TATTOOS.
August 05, 2018 12:35AM
You have a lot more trash to sift thru too. We have people year round here in Fl. Both side of the island have unique beaches. Ive got a good many with stones. We have periods as well where its to cold for most to get in the water.....or they go stand and talk but arent active..... so few losses. Obviously we have a lot more folks than most lakes.... but if we assume all that stuff is lost ....and we arent finding it ..... then id say yes its a tech issue.
August 05, 2018 01:44AM
Shoveler brings up a good point too. Traditionally, when a younger couple gets engaged, they don't have a lot of $ to spend on rings as they have a lot of irons in the fire. A lot of times what happens is they will get something cheaper to get them by, and then upgrade later on if the marriage sticks...which these days, seldom does. I have a cousin that just hit 30 and is on her 4th husband. Most of my coworkers in my age group are on their 2nd or 3rd marriage too. My wife and I hit lucky #13 this Oct and she just upgraded her set last month, with better quality diamonds and different cuts. Which while we were at the jewelry store, I wandered over to the mens wedding band show case. Can you believe they didn't have a single gold wedding band in stock? All they had were the new age crap metals. I asked about it and they said they would only special order the gold ones for people. I am about 75 pounds heavier than when I got married...I think my original wedding band is a size 9 or 8.5. It wont even start to go on my finger so I have been wearing a silver replacement, size 10. I asked how much a plain 14k yellow gold wedding band in a size 10 would cost. Hold onto your seat fellas...they quoted me a price of $400 something. A 10k was still $370. I laughed in disbelief. Needless to say, I still wear the silver.

Dew -- There's not a lot of trash on most of the swim areas where I'm hunting. The waterways get drawn down several feet in the winter time here and get hit hard by hunters that search as the water drops. I have been beating them to the punch by hunting the water in the summer on a bi-weekly schedule. I hunt it so regularly that I keep the bottom fairly signal free, at least to as far out as I can go with my head above water. The exceptions are the super small stuff that falls thru the scoop. But you bring up a good point about the yr rounders down there. Even after the tourists kinda slow down, the snow birds then come down and stay thru the winter. But they don't seem to get in the water much. I've been to Gulf Shores, Orange Beach, Pensacola, Panama, and Destin in the fall and winter and the water was warm enough I was out in it detecting. Our beaches only are active from late May thru Sept. Usually the Memorial day holiday kicks it off, and Labor Day weekend ends it. In fact, most of my areas will be empty this month as soon as schools get back in session.
August 05, 2018 04:10AM
You know I just had a thought... a small light ring is just LESS likely to come off. Its light.. and thin. So it doesnt hydroplane off the finger like a wide heavy ring. Trust me women are still wearing rings.. they just must not come off as often.
August 05, 2018 10:51AM
Well all make assumptions just because we arent finding chains and gold like ladies small rings....... are they there...... or not being lost? Thats a question that wont be answered until we have a machine capable of hiting those very low conductors at a reasonable depth. Those targets i dont believe are getting crazy deep....... they tend to move a lot more and may be shallower than we think. Everyone has done some testing ...... and has that ah ha moment when they realize some of their gold wont be found. We realize air testing is best case...... add some salt water, lower power, salt settings, and minerals.... now why arent we finding those rings? Its not that i want to dig a bunch of tiny tiny targets...... the gold im talking about is the ones you tested that maybe laying a couple of inches under the sand. Anyone follow Jersey Shore and Surf hunters on face book? If you do those guys find a ton of stuff..... more than most...... but not a lot of small gold either. We need a tweak....... ML....... get yourself in the ball park BEFORE Fisher.
August 05, 2018 01:06PM
Quote:" I am ... heavier than when I got married"

This reminded me of another likely reason less rings are lost: There's an obesity epidemic. It's been quite alarming over the past 20 years here in the U.K. I could be cynical and say it was inevitable, we just end up copying you Yanks - diet, lifestyle, culture etc. No doubt some of it is down to computer/internet/video-game use, making us more sedentary. But everywhere I go, I see very overweight ladies, and their finger rings look like they would never come off.
August 05, 2018 04:33PM
Yes Pimento , we now have two culprits , tattoos and high fructose corn syrup
High-fructose corn syrup (HFCS) (also called glucose-fructose, isoglucose and glucose-fructose syrup[1][2]) is a sweetener made from corn starch that has been processed by glucose isomerase to convert some of its glucose into fructose. HFCS was first marketed in the early 1970s by the CLINTON Corn Processing Company, together with the Japanese Agency of Industrial Science and Technology where the enzyme was discovered in 1965.[3]:5

They work together , more skin ,,more tattoos.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2018 04:34PM by shoveler.
August 05, 2018 05:20PM
And most folks pancreas can not identify high fructose corn syrup; hence/subsequently...… NOT know how much insulin to release. Result: FAT & complicated health issues.
August 05, 2018 05:24PM
Also: Small rings take less kinetic energy to make them fall off.
August 05, 2018 08:00PM
But theres inherently less kinetic energy in a smaller ring as it sits(or is waved around) on a person's finger. (not taking any side in this as all above arguments have merit)

Daniel/TN, for <$20 or so, you can get a ring sizing mandrel and tap your wedding ring into a larger size. I got a steel ring sizer off of the evil auction site and it works for enlarging as well.
August 06, 2018 03:10PM
flgliderpilot, I think there is more going on if you are only finding silver rings and not any gold. We know the CZ-21 is locked in salt mode, which will mask any gold close to the range of salt, however there are a lot of gold rings that are much higher in conductivity than salt. So if you are not even finding these I think something else is going on. I think your CZ needs a trip to the doctor.

HH
Mike