Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Multi Kruzer freshwater hunting UPDATE..headphone video comparison

Posted by Daniel Tn 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Multi Kruzer freshwater hunting UPDATE..headphone video comparison
August 04, 2018 04:33AM
This is the same Multi Kruzer that I had a while back and sold to a buddy of mine locally. He decided he was getting out of detecting as a whole, and had bought the 7 inch concentric coil and waterproof headphones for the machine since I had sold it to him. I had neither of those when I had the unit, just the stock coil is all I had. I initially just tested this machine in my test garden and on land, and did not favor it at all. But at the price he offered it to me for I couldn't pass it up...$400 for the machine with new waterproof headphones and 7" coil? Yeah I will take that.

Since I could get in the water and that is all the hunting I am doing right now...that's where this thread comes into play. Freshwater hunting. I thought I would do a play analysis for it, since there seems to NOT be a lot to read on the forums about this particular machine.

-------------

I will start with the bad...or the little nit picky things I don't like.

1. Again...what is up with the waterproof headphones made by detector manufacturers? The cable on the factory waterproof phones is very short. I am one of those people that when in the water, I tend to let go of the detector and let it float while scooping. I would be afraid to do that with this headphone setup. Where the cable enters the headphone is really thin wire and will be REALLY easy to get a short in it due to putting stress on it. Just my opinion. I was a little concerned with the volume of them; I had read several comments on low volume with the waterproof headphones and those comments are correct. With the detector volume at 10, these headphones peak at 40 Db on my Db detector, and that is with the mic right up inside the ear cup. By comparison, the factory wireless headphones on 10, peak in the mid 60s on the same Db detector. So for those of you that have the wireless phones and do not have the waterproof ones...that might give you some idea of the volume. I read somewhere...maybe even here...where someone had said the waterproof headphone volume at 10 (max setting) was the equiv to the wireless volume setting at 1 or 2. That is probably very close and accurate. The fit of them is better than the yellow Koss headphones that Minelab uses, or the blue ones that Garrett uses. They fit very similar to an average pair of Gray Ghost phones. If you like that style headphone, you'd probably like the fit of these. I don't particularly like the Gray Ghosts but that's just me...again...being nit picky. My favorite phone style are the Killer Bs or Sunray Pro Golds.

2. The detector is built very well over all EXCEPT for the arm cuff. It is very flimsy but may be made that way so that people can conform it to their forearm. There is no wobble in the machine at all, and the carbon fiber lower rod is a nice touch. Coils seem built well too.

3. The menu font is a little too small. I'm in my mid 30s and don't wear reading glasses, but even for me, I have to bring the control box closer to my face to be able to see what settings I am adjusting. The overall target ID numbers are fine; it's the settings and options fonts that are crammed in there and small. BUT they are all on there. Again...nit picking.

4. In the water...it swings weird. Different...it ain't a boat anchor but it is different. The only other machine I have to test it against is the Nox, and I had originally thought there was a lot of torque and drag in the water with that machine but when I go back and forth between these two machines, I think the Nox glides better in the water. Possibly due to the heavier coil. If it were all you had, you wouldn't notice it as much and just get use to it.

What I do like:

1. BUILT GREAT! The overall build of the control housing, the location and simplicity of the coil and headphone jacks...GREAT.

2. Already several coil options to choose from right out of the gate.

3. A decent pair of wireless headphones; can't use them for anything other than the detector, but they are good for that.

4. The ability to adjust a lot of settings. You don't HAVE to adjust them all...but they are there if you ever decide to WANT to do it. The tone breaks, bin volume, and tones...nice things to have.

-----------------------

Water hunting itself.

For freshwater people there is probably going to be two camps that we fall under. There are the swimming area hunters that are looking for jewelry. And there are the relic hunters, that are hunting the creeks and rivers. IMO these are two vastly different hunting methods and require different tactics and machines. The relic guys are looking for quite a variety of stuff...mostly in the way of bigger iron relics like artillery shells, swords, guns....while trying to stay away from the crap ton of other iron and steel junk, and aluminum cans, etc that litter the creeks and rivers. They almost always require a smaller coil and an extended iron range on their detector, as to knock out smaller iron while being able to dig the artillery shells, guns, etc. A favorite of the water relic hunters is the AT Gold with 5x8 coil. The beach/jewelry guys on the other hand, are mostly looking for recent drops, but also have to contend with the usual beach junk. Iron is the last thing we wanna dig. And for the MOST part, beach areas aren't AS trashy as the creeks/rivers.

So with that said, here are my thoughts thus far. My opinion is, the Multi Kruzer is going to be a strong unit for the relic hunters in water. A lot of my friends that do that style hunting have been begging for a better water proof machine that doesn't leak. They've all gone thru multiple AT series machines and dealt with leaks. Multi Kruzer may be what they've been seeking.

In hunting with the Kruzer, I do have to play with settings quite a bit to reduce falsing and ground noise. Despite it being ground balanced, I still get a fair share of falses. I can reduce the gain to 50 and under and take care of some of it but it does still false quite a bit. Playing with the iSat setting helps some. At one of my beaches, it was to the point that I just put it back in the truck...this is a beach that the CTX wanted to run in the single digits in auto sens, and the Excal just continuously nulled the threshold. It is a harder beach to hunt due to ground conditions. This is using the stock DD coil btw in case you were wondering.

I put the 7 inch concentric coil on it the other day for the first time. Very impressive coil for air testing and deck testing, and all that. It will be interesting to see a battle between the Nox with 6 inch coil and it. I thought I had found a really good combo for it til I ran it thru my test garden and despite it air testing REALLY well, it fails to report most all the targets I have buried. But that's just a concentric coil here vs the DD coil. The DD gets them all, although I have to work for the 10 inch dime. Still yet, I may give it a spin this week in the water and see how it does for recent drops. Pinpointing with the 7 inch is dead on...will be very easy to scoop targets with it.

That's it for now. Right now my biggest problem is getting rid of those false signals and ground noise.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/2018 11:11AM by Daniel Tn.
Re: Multi Kruzer freshwater hunting data
August 04, 2018 02:12PM
Great write up and I appreciate the time it took to write it. I'm the guy that posted the volume issue between the waterproof vs the wireless being 10 vs 1-2. Your overall likes and dislikes mirror my feelings as well. I haven't had a chance to use my MK in the water yet but I'm hoping it will replace my Tiger Shark for that task. I too have a Nox 800 but I wanted a detector for the fresh water with a coil somewhere between the Nox's 11" and a 6" and the the 7" concentric will fill the bill for accurate pinpointing and getting between the rocks. I absolutely love the MK for hunting iron infested land sites. I have the Nox 6" coil but I just don't see it beating out the MK at those sites and becoming my trashy iron detector. I love the sharp crisp tones on the MK much more than the broad sounding signals on the Nox. I also prefer the menu setup better on the MK, and find it much easier to navigate than the Nox. It's refreshing not to have to remember what does what. The Menu on the MK is all laid out in front of you. MK build quality is also top notch, built like a tank but still light weight.
I'm also hoping my Nox can replace my Sovereign GT for the wet saltwater beach sand. The jury's still out on that one although for me, the Nox has already proven itself on the dry sand.
August 04, 2018 04:31PM
Just a question about the false signals you experienced. Have you tried Beach Mode to see what affect that does with ground feedback? Beach Mode opens up the low range of GB adjustment....at least on my Nokta. The 5x10 DD coil might help too. My ground here isnt too hot, but I did search an old home place that had so much iron that I couldnt put my pinpointer on the ground without it going off.....Beach Mode did help discern a non-ferrous target. Also I tried the 5" DD coil....that coil is amazing. Just for fun I tried using a Pulse model metal detector and found two gallons of rusty nails...ok, not so much fun....loI

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2018 07:07PM by Arkansas.
August 04, 2018 06:21PM
Good report Daniel.

I too mentioned the correlation of the waterproof headphones having a loudness of 2 in comparison to the wireless in my last video I posted. They really stink when in a river/creek and the water is moving along/making noise and or when higher wind is present. I didn’t realize that they make a set of after market yellow diver style ones before I bought these or else I would have got those instead because that style is loud and clear AND you can actually submerge them and still hear the tones VS the factory ones only being good for up to neck deep water. You can forget hearing anything if you go under with those on.

I don’t have the falsing issue that you have unless I hunt the big lake where I showed pictures of the black sand on the beach. That stuff kills the machine and like you, I have to turn the sens way down to run 1/2 way smooth but in most of the rivers/creeks here = she runs pretty smooth with sens in the lower 80s and with the stock coil, gets top notch depth.

The rest of your report is pretty much spot on imo too. The wire on the headphones is too thin and doesn’t look like it will last too long. It’s also not long enough. The unit itself is built like a tank and blows the AT series away in that dept... I had a Pro and it leaked like a sive thumbs up They’re not anywhere near as tuff as these units either. These things can take a beating with all the rubber type reinforcement they’re sealed in. Way more options/adjustments on these units too for many more conditions/types of sites.

Anyway,,, don’t want to completely hi jack your thread.

Thanks for the report.
August 11, 2018 02:07AM
MRH - Are you talking about the LS Pelso brand? They are the only other ones I could find. If so, I am going to get a set of them. They also make them for the Nox...but I think the yellow Koss ones are tolerable for it for the time being. The waterproof Makro ones are the weaker ones that I would benefit the most from replacing. I think if I like them I may get a pair for the Nox as well.

I hunted with the Kruzer for about 2 hrs Thursday with the 7 inch coil in the water. Someone should make a 9 inch round coil for it for the water. The 7 inch pinpoints very easy in the water but just needs a little more coverage. The stock coil is deeper but I dont like it as much. Still dealing with the noise a little but it is tamer in 3 tone.
August 11, 2018 04:19AM
Yep, these LS Pelso ones sold at Kellyco... You can see the cord is way thicker/tougher and far longer but also coiled/recoils too. I may get a pair yet and sell the factory ones.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2018 04:23AM by MichiganRelicHunter.
August 11, 2018 01:50PM
Have someone use a phone app SOUND METER on the phones to see where they are and if they will be useful especially on the beach. Yellows on the Nox run in the 50s...... wireless ones are 80s.... and a good pair of after market.... high 90s. Daniel down load the sound meter and see what kind of dbs your getting.

Daniel .... i enjoy your honesty when you test a machine. Often people try and justify the purchase and be the first to review...... sometimes thats not the best reviews to read.
August 11, 2018 02:07PM
Dew -- Already have one downloaded. Thats what I've been using to give Db figures with in the first post of the thread. The waterproof Makro headphones peak in the 40s. I will indeed compare when the new headphones get here.
August 16, 2018 12:07PM
LS Pelso headphones came yesterday but I did not have a chance to try them out until this morning.

They are extremely beefy...the cable weighs probably a half pound and is very heavy duty.

I wish I could tell you about how they sound but they do not work. Nope. They plug into the Kruzer just fine and I have detached and reattached it several times thinking maybe I didn't hold my mouth just right. But alas, they just do not work...it doesn't even cut off the sound from the main speaker. I said in another thread not long ago about my luck with buying stuff. If there's 1 bad one out of 500,000, I will be sure to be the one to get it lol

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2018 12:28PM by Daniel Tn.
Re: Multi Kruzer freshwater hunting UPDATE...new headphones
August 30, 2018 01:07PM
OK guys....replacement pair of the LS Pelso headphones came yesterday.

I got to try them at home this morning and this pair works.

They are just what I was looking for! These suckers have VOLUME and plenty of it. As a matter of fact, with the unit Volume on 10, it will hurt your ears.

Volume at 4 - 5 is going to be about as much as I can stand with them on...anything above that is too loud for me.

With these headphones, a Volume setting of 1 is louder than the Makro waterproof headphones with volume at 10.
August 30, 2018 06:10PM
Nice. Just what I am looking for/wanting. I had a sneaking suspicion they would be like other underwater hp’s = loud and clear.

Time to sell the junk factory ones I made the mistake of buying and get some of those!

Thanks Daniel thumbs down
August 30, 2018 08:17PM
Thanks for the info and update Daniel.

Looks like a pair of these is going to head my way for Fall beach hunting.
August 30, 2018 10:41PM
Update to the update.

I received a call from Kellyco today stating that they discovered the headphones will not work with the external battery addon for the Kruzer. They are offering a mod that will allow them to work. I'm not using the external battery so I will keep what I have. They have notified the manufacturer and the future shipments will have this corrected. I also understand the same brand headphones for the Equinox have bad adapters and they have pulled them from being in stock on the website.

I think you guys will like them...the cord is heavy duty and just the right length too. Volume is more than enough. They also cancel out surrounding noise very well. I would actually feel comfortable using them as hearing protection for shooting my pistols.
August 31, 2018 12:58AM
Thanks Daniel.

I like the heavy duty cord and thick pads for noise suppression. Perfect for the NJ beaches in the Fall and Winter.

Might as well wait for the correction even though I probably won't use the external battery pack beach hunting.
Re: Multi Kruzer freshwater hunting UPDATE..headphone video comparison
August 31, 2018 11:12AM
Hope this shows up. This is just a quick run down video comparison I put together showing the differences between the two waterproof headphones currently available, and then a demo on the volume between the two. Machine volume was set at 10, the highest setting.

[youtu.be]