Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Question about the MXT variations

Posted by Mike Hillis 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Question about the MXT variations
August 09, 2018 02:52PM
I've looked at the MXT for a number of years but never tried one. I'm thinking about giving one a go but have a question about the variants.

Do any of these variants of the MXT loose the David Johnson special sauce?

HH
Mike
Re: Question about the MXT variations
August 09, 2018 05:11PM
Mike they all run the same..

Just the pro got some added tones and much need ground grab option on faceplate..

I think as they progressed the circuit boards may have become more and more revamped..I cant remember but I think the first MXT had more pots (VR's) inside and the latest one may not have any?? but they all run the same in my opinion..Yet I've always liked the MXT 300 the best for some reason I've had three of those and they all ran super smooth wide open

but from first one to last one they all are about equal Id probably go pro model for Newer and can be got for same price as old used originals..

Great Hall of fame units....True legendary status machine in a 3 filter design winking smiley

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
August 09, 2018 07:15PM
Thanks for the reply, Keith.

I think I'll give one a go in a month or three. I wonder how a MXT stacks up against the Goldbug Pro/F19/G2 series?

HH
Mike
August 09, 2018 07:36PM
As always Whites produces quality products and backs them up, however as far as stacking up its a heavier bulkier unit to use...
August 09, 2018 09:39PM
Dan-Pa. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> As always Whites produces quality products and bac
> ks them up, however as far as stacking up its a he
> avier bulkier unit to use...

Yep that's true, but with the 5 x 8 SEF and 5.3 concentric search coils attached it's perfectly balanced and can be swung all day long with pain. Even using the larger search coils it's not all that bad.

tabman
August 09, 2018 10:01PM
Mike Hillis Wrote:
> I've looked at the MXT for a number of years but n
> ever tried one. I'm thinking about giving one a
> go but have a question about the variants.
>
> Do any of these variants of the MXT loose the Davi
> d Johnson special sauce?
>
> HH
> Mike

They are about as good as it gets and they are built Tough and fully weather proof, In skilled hands they will hang with anything else on the market and in a lot of Arena's surpass many high dollar machines, The Relic Guy's love em because with the right coils they can go extremely deep when you use Mixed Mode Audio. way beyond the depth of almost any other machine out there. people don't know how to use that mixed mode audio so they never get to see just how good they are. Using the Mixed mode you can match the depth of a PI machines in ground with fairly high mineralization but I would not recommend trying to hear the third tone of the mixed mode in junk filled sites.

Hope that helps.
August 09, 2018 10:26PM
Mike...I sent you a PM.
August 10, 2018 12:05AM
One of my favorite detectors in my arsenal. I would recommend the MXT to anyone thinking about trying one. Make sure to get yourself a 6 x 8 sef coil for it, you won't regret it.
August 10, 2018 02:11PM
I started out in Dec 2003 with a Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, then worked my way through several BH models. When I was ready to make my first major upgrade I was trying to decided between a Fisher CZ-70Pro, a Whites MXT and a Tesoro Cortes, and ended up picking the Cortes. It just looks so cool. So....instrument-ish. Since that time I think I have bought and tried most all of them except the MXT and now that I'm into retirement planning I figured I should look at it again.

Thanks for all the help.
HH
Mike
August 12, 2018 03:04AM
No volume knob.... every person in the city park will know when you find a target.

The mxt speaker is very loud ........ even with electrical tape over the speaker it's blasting loud..... I hate wearing Headphones on hot days and its always hot in southern ca, .....other than that the mxt is a great detector.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2018 03:11AM by Rob in (ca).
August 12, 2018 05:31AM
Two main variations MXT and MXT Pro. The MXT 300 and MXT All Pro had larger coils and diffrent decals on control box. The MXT and DFX 300s came in a flat black paint job. The third and rare variation is the proto-type MXT Pro which had seperate controls for SAT and Disc. (not combined dual-control). The waterproof MX Sport is loosely a waterproof MXT......correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks
August 12, 2018 09:08AM
Arkansas Wrote:
>
> The waterproof MX Sport is loosely a waterproof MX
> T......correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks

Yeah very very loosely, it's not in the same league.