Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Minelab Nox vs Makro Multi-Kruzer

Posted by tabman 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Minelab Nox vs Makro Multi-Kruzer
August 16, 2018 05:58PM
Here's the scenario, I accidently drop my digging tool on the detector screen and break it and the warranty doesn't cover me breaking my own detector. This could happen to me or anyone else tomorrow, so how much is Minelab and Makro going to charge to replace the screen?

tabman
Re: Minelab Nox vs Makro Multi-Kruzer
August 16, 2018 06:21PM
tabman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Here's the scenario, I accidently drop my digging
> tool on the detector screen and break it and the w
> arranty doesn't cover me breaking my own detector.
> This could happen to me or anyone else tomorrow, s
> o how much is Minelab and Makro going to charge to
> replace the screen?
>
> tabman

We don't know how much Minelab is going to charge for ANYTHING in regards service/repair on the Equinox.----So how can we answer that question?----For the Multi Kruzer---send Dilek Gonulay (msp?) an email asking that question.---She will get back to you with an answer & a dollar figure I'm sure.----She is real good about answering emails about our concerns.------You could do the same thing with Jamie at Minelab---but---she probably wouldn't know the answer to that question herself.----------Del
August 16, 2018 07:22PM
I was mistaken when I mentioned fortbedfordmetaldetectors.com as being a Minelab repair center. Technically.
It is the

Detector Center
Pennsylvania, USA (located in Allum Bank, PA)
T: 1-888-949-6522
E: service@minelabamericas.com

They are next door to fbmd.com but Keith Leppert informed me that they are not presently handling Equinox repairs. Keith says those are being handled "internally" at the present time and he has no information on parts or repair costs for the Equinox.

And I agree with others here. That does not seem completely aboveboard and is less than confidence inspiring. Minelab certainly needs to step up and do the right thing here in honest and fair support of its customers.

Wayne

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2018 12:52PM by ncwayne.
August 16, 2018 07:28PM
Don't waste your time with Jamie , she is a mere peon in the Minelab corporate structure. Try Debbie instead debbie.smikoski@minelab.com , she will be able to give you a much better professional denial and run around. I think she is North American Business Development Director and still will refuse to give you a price for repair on the Equinox ,, neither replacement of the control pod nor cost of a replacement battery with their service charge. In essence , Minelab has adopted a corporate service policy of refusing to price their service or parts on Equinox detectors that are not under warranty.

Don't believe me ,,,,prove me wrong , I dare you.
Maybe if enough people will get in their hair they might acknowledge the issue.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2018 07:30PM by shoveler.
August 16, 2018 08:31PM
... so if you accidently break a screen on a Nox you're up chit creek without a paddle.

tabman
August 16, 2018 09:22PM
#HowTheHeckWouldWeKnow?
August 16, 2018 10:30PM
tabman Wrote:
> ... so if you accidently break a screen on a Nox y
> ou're up chit creek without a paddle.
>
> tabman

Uh, YEEESSS!------or-------how would we know??winking smiley------It's not all bad----you could buy ANOTHER Equinox!thumbs down (if they ever get 'em out)
August 16, 2018 10:45PM
It may have been 'fake news' that I read, but it's my understanding that the control box on the Nox is disposable and can't be repaired. If ANYTHING goes wrong with it you could be out a lot of money when the warranty runs out or it's not covered by the warranty such as accidently busting your control screen. If that's the case, Minelab isn't going to be in a big hurry to say what the repair cost are going to be.

tabman
August 16, 2018 10:57PM
tabman Wrote:
> It may have been 'fake news' that I read, but it's
> my understanding that the control box on the Nox i
> s disposable and can't be repaired. If ANYTHING go
> es wrong with it you could be out a lot of money w
> hen the warranty runs out or it's not covered by t
> he warranty such as accidently busting your contro
> l screen. If that's the case, Minelab isn't going
> to be in a big hurry to say what the repair cost a
> re going to be.
>
> tabman

That's possible Gerald.-----It's also possible that's the case with the Makro Multi Kruzer as well.-----The difference is: two yr. transferable warranty on Multi Kruzer---three yr. transferable warranty on Equinox 800.
August 16, 2018 11:36PM
I just took a close look at the MMK and it has a total of 12 screws holding the two halves of the control housing together and another 6 screws holding the speaker cover in place. It sure looks like it's made to be taken apart and repaired if need be. I don't have a Nox to compare. How's it held together? Where are all the Nox experts when you need one?

tabman

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2018 11:37PM by tabman.
August 17, 2018 12:17AM
tabman Wrote:
> I just took a close look at the MMK and it has a t
> otal of 12 screws holding the two halves of the co
> ntrol housing together and another 6 screws holdin
> g the speaker cover in place. It sure looks like i
> t's made to be taken apart and repaired if need be
> . I don't have a Nox to compare. How's it held tog
> ether? Where are all the Nox experts when you need
> one?
>
> tabman

The Kruzer can be taken apart, pm sent with info.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2018 12:20AM by SkiWhiz.
August 17, 2018 12:50AM
I read the same thing. Minelab replaces the entire head unit. They do not take them apart. Buy a detector bag. But then again Minelab is not located in a country where there could be a problem with doing business. Especially electronics. As in today's news of Turkey boycotting anything Apple. Who knows where this will end?
August 17, 2018 01:32AM
Here's the link that was sent to me. LINK

It's super interesting and shows how well the MMK is built! It's feels rugged like a tank. Does anyone have a link showing the Nox taken apart?

tabman
August 17, 2018 02:13AM
August 17, 2018 02:18AM
I don't play the scenario game. A man can worry himself to ulcers by thinking on what COULD or CAN happen in the worse cases of life.

Here is what I know for fact though. I began my water hunting season in June, hunting one day a week every other week. Since then, I have found 12 rings with my Nox and a few other jewelry items. I've not even counted my clad found in the water but it fills a quart jar about 1/4 full so there's quite a few dollars worth in it. In the spring when I was relic hunting, I found approx half of a coffee can full of 3 ring Civil War bullets and approx 50-60 buttons...mostly flat buttons. I've had fun with it...that's why I bought it. So while you guys are worrying yourself about warranties and part availability for a detector you don't own...I've been well on the way to having mine paid for in finds.

I've seen more than one company that offered lifetime warranties on their products and that gave the buyers a sense of "security" and "peace of mind" only to see said company go out of business and left those warranties useless with zero part availability. Since you guys are playing scenarios...did you think of the possibility that with things the way they are in Turkey right now...there is a possibility of there being no more Makro/Nokta detectors...no warranties...no parts...no customer service at all? Hey it can happen. That means no resale value too, which isn't the greatest even now, with the company alive and growing. The Multi Kruzer I have now, came with stock coil, a brand new 7" concentric coil, a new pair of waterproof headphones, and the waterproof power pack. I bought it for 4 bills. A 15 year old MXT with just a stock coil will go for that. A red Racer is how old now? I think they came out in 2015...meaning most of the units have just came out of warranty at 3 yrs old, and a person can't give them away without offering something else with it. I'm not trying to be mean...that's just realistic.

I have begun doing videos between the two machines...Nox 600 and Multi Kruzer. I'm waiting on a 6 inch coil for the Nox. I want to do a good head to head video with both machines in diff hunting places/situations..Civil War relics, high mineral ground, coin hunting, and freshwater water hunting. Right now there aren't any coils to match coil for coil...even with the 6 and 11 inch Nox coils...there isnt a round 6 or 11 inch Kruzer coil to match it size for size. I'm sure no matter how I do it, it will leave people squalling about "should have done this...should have done it that way". Lol
August 17, 2018 02:39AM
Daniel Tn Wrote:
> I don't play the scenario game. A man can worry hi
> mself to ulcers by thinking on what COULD or CAN h
> appen in the worse cases of life.
>
> Here is what I know for fact though. I began my w
> ater hunting season in June, hunting one day a wee
> k every other week. Since then, I have found 12 ri
> ngs with my Nox and a few other jewelry items. I'
> ve not even counted my clad found in the water but
> it fills a quart jar about 1/4 full so there's qui
> te a few dollars worth in it. In the spring when I
> was relic hunting, I found approx half of a coffee
> can full of 3 ring Civil War bullets and approx 50
> -60 buttons...mostly flat buttons. I've had fun w
> ith it...that's why I bought it. So while you guys
> are worrying yourself about warranties and part av
> ailability for a detector you don't own...I've bee
> n well on the way to having mine paid for in finds
> .
>
> I've seen more than one company that offered lifet
> ime warranties on their products and that gave the
> buyers a sense of "security" and "peace of mind" o
> nly to see said company go out of business and lef
> t those warranties useless with zero part availabi
> lity. Since you guys are playing scenarios...did
> you think of the possibility that with things the
> way they are in Turkey right now...there is a poss
> ibility of there being no more Makro/Nokta detecto
> rs...no warranties...no parts...no customer servic
> e at all? Hey it can happen. That means no resale
> value too, which isn't the greatest even now, with
> the company alive and growing. The Multi Kruzer I
> have now, came with stock coil, a brand new 7" con
> centric coil, a new pair of waterproof headphones,
> and the waterproof power pack. I bought it for 4
> bills. A 15 year old MXT with just a stock coil w
> ill go for that. A red Racer is how old now? I th
> ink they came out in 2015...meaning most of the un
> its have just came out of warranty at 3 yrs old, a
> nd a person can't give them away without offering
> something else with it. I'm not trying to be mean
> ...that's just realistic.
>
> I have begun doing videos between the two machines
> ...Nox 600 and Multi Kruzer. I'm waiting on a 6 i
> nch coil for the Nox. I want to do a good head to
> head video with both machines in diff hunting plac
> es/situations..Civil War relics, high mineral grou
> nd, coin hunting, and freshwater water hunting. R
> ight now there aren't any coils to match coil for
> coil...even with the 6 and 11 inch Nox coils...the
> re isnt a round 6 or 11 inch Kruzer coil to match
> it size for size. I'm sure no matter how I do it,
> it will leave people squalling about "should have
> done this...should have done it that way". Lol

thumbs downthumbs downthumbs down
August 17, 2018 02:55AM
Bingo Daniel on the causing ulcers.

Look at how much autos cost.
Do they tell purchasers how much it will cost if such and such breaks when auto’s warranty expires?
Equinox detector repair cost likely peanuts compared to auto.

Enjoy your detector, cross the bridge when you come to it.

Home repairs can be costly too, lot more than a new Equinox even.

Bottom line:
You gotta pay to play these days.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2018 02:57AM by tnsharpshooter.
August 17, 2018 03:57AM
TNSS -- Yep and auto dealers have been using worry warts to make a billion dollar industry out of selling extended warranties and "service plans".

I know things can and do happen though but no sense in worrying about everything. If you think a Kruzer is best for you then go out and enjoy it. Find stuff with it. Same with the Nox. Or Mojave. Or F75...whatever. I'd like to see this forum get back to people posting finds, hunt stories, and learning...nothing quite like those "ahhh ha!" moments when you read something or experience it in the field. Tom and a couple others have attempted to do so but they get lost in the mud flinging of "my detector has better warranty coverge" kinda crap.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2018 06:16AM by Daniel Tn.
August 17, 2018 04:54AM
If we chose detectors based on the company's reliability and reasonableness in repairs, we would be buying nothing but Tesoro and Whites smiling smiley
August 17, 2018 05:49AM
Daniel Tn Wrote:
> I'd like to see this forum get back to people posting finds, hunt stories, and learning...nothing quite like those "ahhh ha!" moments
> when you read something or experience it in the field. Tom and a couple others have attempted to do
> so but they get lost in the mud flinging of "my detector has better warranty coverage" kinda crap.

+1
August 17, 2018 11:55AM
Bottom line, the people who seem to know everything in the world about the Nox can't tell you what the repair cost will be because Minelab won't say and it's best not to worry about it. Got it! I wouldn't have brought it up except for the rumor that the control head is built in such a way that it can't be opened up and repaired. That makes it a disposable detector. I'm seriously thinking about getting one after the dust settles because I like trying different detectors. Right now I'm just trying to figure out what the price of a good used one is finally going to end up being. The prices seem to be still dropping on the Nox. The MXT Pro, which is an outstanding detector, used price seems to have settled in at around $425. I wonder what the used price of the 600 and 800 Nox detectors will end up being when supply and demand has been established.

tabman
August 17, 2018 12:42PM
To use tnss' non sequitur , Minelab will have to determine the eventual resale value of the disposable Equinox after three years of warranty by establishing a "core charge" for the control handle , like a dead car battery that has a value of 12 bucks. They will sell you a new control handle for $300+ shipping after you send the old one in. Without the old one , they will not sell you a control handle at all because you could build a cheaper detector by buying the individual components(handle and coil). So , after the three year warranty , the value of your Nox will be the core value Minelab establishes plus a little for the coil , that of course on the condition you did not need a new battery and chose to replace it yourself and ended up voiding your warranty in the process.
August 17, 2018 01:02PM
Shoveler.
Another conspiracy post I see.

Minelab says on their site they will support their products for so long after product is discontinued.

They haven’t ever i don’t think went into detail how they will “exactly” provide support (repair actions) on any of their models.

And I don’t think a lot of other manufacturers have either.

Maybe folks here who have indeed had out of warranty or self inflicted damage corrected by Minelab on Etrac and CTX would weigh in here on actual out of pocket cost.
This info I think would indeed help.

Fifty percent cost of new Equinox for actual repair out of warranty or self inflicted damage to control head is peanuts imo.
I don’t know what the actual true will be.
And shipping costs will obviously be had by the owner of detector.

Bottom line.
I think Equinox thus far has a pretty good track record for faults and leaks.
Folks can choose to buy or not.

I don’t know what it will cost to have my either of Deus units repaired when it
they come out of warranty.
And I haven’t seen you posting about this either.

Minelab is a major detector manufacturer.
There are others too.
And we should I think lend them some respect.
I don’t think Minelab’s goal is to screw folks.
I get the idea you think it is.

Cheers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2018 01:05PM by tnsharpshooter.
August 17, 2018 01:05PM
Exactly. I just don't see the point in worrying so much over something based off of "what ifs", rumors, and conspiracy theories. Bottom line...it's an electronic toy and a relatively cheap one compared to other adult hobbies you could get into. If you think $800 is expensive, you would have a stroke if you knew how much I had in my archery tournament setup. If you broke any of that stuff, you were on your own and just had to scrap it and buy new. Get as much use and enjoyment out of it that you can til you wear it out or until it wears you out. They aren't going to last forever and neither are you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2018 01:07PM by Daniel Tn.
August 17, 2018 01:16PM
Here is Xp America site.
So, where do these folks tell us here how long or how they will support a Deus after warranty expires?? Or how much it will cost?

[www.xpmetaldetectorsamericas.com]

We should treat all manufacturers equally when criticizing. Maybe criticizing isn’t the best word to use here. Maybe better to say here is, hold all manufacturers to the same standards.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2018 01:21PM by tnsharpshooter.
August 17, 2018 01:21PM
Tabman,Never Ever tug on Superman's cape,Spit into the wind,Touch that 3rd rail OR ask ANY question that Question's the Holy Grail.
August 17, 2018 01:44PM
I think what tabman wanting to know is if a specific component breaks can they replace that individual component like a screen or chip etc for a reasonable cost. Example with other detectors if a a part goes bad you can send it in after warrantee and get them fixed for a reasonable fee. So say if something goes wrong with the control housing and the only way to fix it is for them to replace the whole thing, what would the cost of that be and would you get a new three year warrantee if they did indeed replace it. If they are just fixing parts in it though then I can see not having a new warranty but if they have to replace the whole thing outside of the warranty period and charge you say 400 bucks then a new warranty on it should be issued.
August 17, 2018 01:50PM
doc holiday Wrote:
> Tabman,Never Ever tug on Superman's cape,Spit into
> the wind,Touch that 3rd rail OR ask ANY question t
> hat Question's the Holy Grail.

I couldn't help myself. lol

tabman
August 17, 2018 02:19PM
tnss, call XP and tell them you need a specific fix , they will give you a specific price. The remote has a specific price if you want to buy one separate , the NOX is modular also but Minelab won't admit it nor sell it that way. You are/claim to have bosom buddy engineers at Minelab , why don't you simply call one of them and disprove the "conspiracy".?
Daniel , you should stop worrying so much about trying to control the content on an internet message board , for Pete's sake , it might give you ulcers. Better to hang out where you can get sycophantic pats on your back if someone says your girlfriend has some warts and it bothers you so much.
August 17, 2018 03:44PM
tnsharpshooter Wrote:
> [m.youtube.com]#

So that's how you take a Nox apart to replace a broken screen, jack, key pad, speaker etc.. Putting it all back together again and getting it watertight is going to be a even bigger challenge. Thanks for sharing.

tabman