Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Anyone remember the Iron Eliminator used with the Eagle

Posted by Tom Slick 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Anyone remember the Iron Eliminator used with the Eagle
August 17, 2018 06:42AM
Was digging through some of my tecting stuff and found the Iron Eliminator made by International Treasure Hunter. It's an "Eddy current Tuned Circuit to Enhance the response of Metal Detectors". It's housed in a 1/2" x 5" plastic tube. I haven't used it in over 20 years, but if my memory hasn't completely taken a crap, I think you ground balanced to it and it would allow the White's Eagle or Spectrum to detect thru nails and bottle caps and still detect coins beneath them hunting in All Metal. Anyone else ever use one. Mine has serial #4222.
Re: Anyone remember the Iron Eliminator used with the Eagle
August 17, 2018 09:15AM
Hocus Pocus. It would only eliminate some cash from your pocket.
August 17, 2018 12:27PM
It did work. I met the "inventor" . I played around with it a lot. It was essentially a sample you off-tuned off-balanced your machine to. That treated everything (ie.: the "ground matrix") as iron. And ... yes... it worked. But the devil was in the details : Your depth was seriously crippled. Oh ... sure.... in an air test, it didn't seem like you'd lost depth. But the moment you stepped out into the real world, and the moment all the test objects weren't "fixed", is the moment you lost all depth. And you had to treat it like the old school TR. Ie.: that your coil had to be at a fixed distance from the ground, blah blah.

And you could throw TID out the window too. Unless, of course, the object-in-question was un-obstructed of view. (ie.: no masking). Then .... sure... you'd get a TID. But if it was masked, ... no ..... you would not get a correct TID. Oh sure, you'd hear a conductor through a nail(s). But with all the afore-mentioned downsides.

Essentially: You can achieve the same results by simply getting yourself an old Compass 77b. Or any of various Tesoro 2-filter machines. And , yes, they all have their downsides. Eg.: less ability in minerals, less depth, a bear to keep balanced, etc.... IMHO , if nail-see-through masking issues is the issue, then you're better off with a 77b or a Silver Sabre, etc....

Here's where Monte's input would be worth $1,000,000 smiling smiley
August 17, 2018 02:45PM
Tom_in_CA - You definitely remember the Iron Eliminator. It did air test good but you're right, they didn't work well in actual use. I'll bet Monte tried it, maybe he'll chime in.
August 17, 2018 06:59PM
I had no luck with it myself.....others may differ....