Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

A Slightly Different Viewpoint

Posted by PhDtector 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
A Slightly Different Viewpoint
August 17, 2018 10:28AM
Re: A Slightly Different Viewpoint
August 17, 2018 11:39AM
Suits him just fine. Enjoyed the video, thanks PhDtector.
August 17, 2018 10:11PM
yeah! it just proves hunting for clad can be a satisfying,rewarding experience too!
it's always nice to find the better stuff,but it can also be an "event physicological" (as the french say),
in that in your mind,you are having "fun" being a clad shooter!

(h.h.!)
j.t.
August 18, 2018 01:11AM
I think his point is that, compared to when he started detecting and silver was everywhere, "it just ain't worth it no more". He may be right.
August 18, 2018 05:04AM
it can be a struggle as everyone can attest to!..we are all 'wishing" that the good stuff is still "hiding" out in the crap!
i don' want to sound like a defeatist,but what drives most of us is that we will "pop" some silver every once in a while
to grease the machinery!..(so to speak!)..to be perfectly honest,if we let go of that objective,then most of us are all done!

(h.h.!)
j.t.
August 18, 2018 12:42PM
He has the right attitude. It gets you to thinking. Looking back I unearthed more valuable targets swinging a Tesoro detector. I found at least one nice gold ring dirt fishing every 60 days, plus a lot of other neat stuff that I'd normally pass over using high dollar VDI detectors. With Tesoro's great discriminator it can discriminate out junk targets and still hit coins if you just want to coin shoot. To top it all off a Vaquero is just about as deep as any detector made and it's light as a feather. But I be damned if I'll ever hunt without using a pin-pointer.

tabman
August 18, 2018 01:14PM
We all get caught up in the craze to have the latest and greatest detector. Some we keep some we don't. I am willing to bet that anyone that started off on Tesoro detectors and really learned how to use them and started upgrading to "higher end" detectors their gold intake dropped off drastically.
When I go out with my CTX I find myself only hunting deep old coin. I pass up all other signals. My Tom tuned CZ, same thing. When I go to old trashy parks I don't even take my Vaq or Mojave anymore. It's real easy on tid detectors to pass up all the foil mid tones or zinc pennies. I'm thinking we need a beep and dig day Tab.
August 18, 2018 09:43PM
And if you hunt in mild black dirt, how many of your finds are deeper than 4" - 5"?
August 19, 2018 12:33AM
Research is the key....location, location, location. If you are in the right spot you can find coins with just about any detector. There isnt anything wrong with searching with the newest toy, but just know that some machines can be overpowering or Disc too much out. When one thinks of Masking we most often think of iron vs non-ferrous, but there is also non-ferrous Masking ......such as a pull tab next to a coin. I remember years ago one searcher who used top end machines said that most coins he found was with the Garrett Freedom III. It could have been that a metal detector that was inexpensive, lightweight, simple to set up and use, low drain battery use, ect....made it a go-to model. If you happen to be a citizen that carries a firearm everyday....which model do you carry?.....probably not a 44 Mag. Big guns are still fun to shoot tho.
August 19, 2018 02:00AM
well said!..it's also the main reason i am holding off on a "600" purchase. i NEED to be convinced that i can go into
"cooked" parks,and all other easily accessed public areas,and find enough "good" targets among the "garbage"
to justify the money!..i can hunt" private property: with a tesoro compadre, a $160.00 detector,and clean them all out!
what the f**k do i need to spend $649.00,or $899.00 for a nox to do the same thing! "private" sites are NOT easily accessible,
but public places are! .again,finding good targets in the trash on a consistent basis is where the "value" in this detector will reveal itself.
need more convincing though!..stay tuned!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/2018 02:02AM by jmaryt.