Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Minelab Equinox and Xp Deus repair data (latest from horse’s mouth) some cost info too

Posted by tnsharpshooter 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Minelab Equinox

Alright
I spoke with Jamie at Minelab.
I asked questions.
She was very courteous.

Damage caused by accidents or abuse as far as repairs during warranty period are considered/weighed on a case by case basis. I think this would apply to any manufacturer actually.
Minelab is currently looking at the issue of repair costs, etc.
And hopefully will have info available in the future.
The Equinox series, all units are under warranty still. If a person has a problem, Minelab will help.

Here’s Minelab link with contact info (World wide info)
[www.minelab.com]

Xp Deus

I spoke with Michael at Detector Electronics in Ma.
He was very courteous with me.
I ask a lot of questions.
And just may have learned something folks may find helpful.

Coils.
Battery service cost $50 (if outside timeframe for battery warranty).
If coil is defective other than battery, the only recourse an owner has is to ship to France to Xp plant for repair.
Michael did not have repair cost associated with the (non battery change) coil repairs.

Remote.
Keypad will cost you $60
LCD screen will cost you $60
Main board defective $364.
Battery change for remote I did not ask about.

Nor did I ask about headphone module repairs.

The prices stated above include labor costs.

As far as defective Deus coils non battery related (out of warranty), Detector Electronics does not ship individual’s coils or receive them from or to France. This is solely the individual owner’s responsibility.

Here’s Xp Americas link with contact info (USA and Canada).
[www.xpmetaldetectorsamericas.com]

Edited 13 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2018 04:37PM by tnsharpshooter.
Interesting data - thanks for digging into this.

Of course, the reasonable repair of components in the control unit are partly made possible because it ISN’T waterproof. Sealing against water intrusion (especially due to full submergence to any depth) makes repair more difficult and therefore expensive.

Minelab’s equinox’s control box seems to be welded together - no plan to ever repair them apparently. this had been discussed several times on various forums and there are sound arguments as to why this is a reasonable approach to the problem.

What would be really great is if we could ever get a detector which is both waterproof and easily repairable. I wonder if that will ever happen.

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold
Some good info there. Basically if you get an Equinox and you keep it for 2 to 3 years it's going to be very hard to sell it without just letting it go for nothing practically. Maybe minelab should offer a way to pay to extend the warranty beyond the 3 years so one buying a used one that is out of warranty a way to buy one with some security that if a keypad or screen goes out a couple months after you buy it it can be replaced etc. I can see though with all the good condition used machines floating around the sales of new ones would drop drastically etc. Out of the 13 machines I currently own, only 3 of them I bought brand new. My CTX, Deus and Vaquero. The rest are all extremely well taken care of used ones. I did buy the Nox 800 new but sold it after 50 hours use for a 100 dollar loss.
Kudos on the leg work and confirming the issuethumbs down

"Damage caused by accidents or abuse as far as repairs during warranty period are considered/weighed on a case by case basis. I think this would apply to any manufacturer actually."
I would think it only applies to manufacturers you are trying to give a pass to. What does "weighed on a case by case basis" mean? We are going to charge you depending on how stupid or inattentive you were by damaging the control handle? $200 if you drive over it? $300 if you drop a rock on it? $400 if you leave it on top of your car while driving? The repair part is the same regardless

"Minelab is currently looking at the issue of repair costs, etc."
Nearly a year after introduction they are still looking at the issue of repair costs?

And hopefully will have info available in the future.
Where have we heard that before?Operative word is "hooooooopefully

The only info XP failed to give you was the cost of the analogous full remote control ,,, oh wait , that's available on every dealer's website.
Forgive me if the intended sarcasm is over the tophot smiley
Thanks for doing that, TNSS!

Dean
My Minelab CTX 3030 can be repaired but I know that I'm not going to chance taking my CTX into the water because it works too well for me on dry land. I love that detector too much! That's why I bought a MMK and now thinking about purchasing a Nox. Also from this VIDEO it looks like the MMK is easily repairable and its removable screwed on back cover looks the same as the CTX's . I've seen several videos of it being used in the water? What about the Tesoro water detectors? Do you really need a ID detector at the beach?

tabman
lytle78 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Interesting data - thanks for digging into this.
>
> Of course, the reasonable repair of components in
> the control unit are partly made possible because
> it ISN’T waterproof. Sealing against water intrusi
> on (especially due to full submergence to any dept
> h) makes repair more difficult and therefore expen
> sive.
>
> Minelab’s equinox’s control box seems to be welded
> together - no plan to ever repair them apparently.
> this had been discussed several times on various f
> orums and there are sound arguments as to why this
> is a reasonable approach to the problem.
>
> What would be really great is if we could ever get
> a detector which is both waterproof and easily rep
> airable. I wonder if that will ever happen.

go tesoro! what he said!

(h.h.!)
j.t.
tabman Wrote:
> My Minelab CTX 3030 can be repaired but I know tha
> t I'm not going to chance taking my CTX int
> o the water because it works too well for me on dr
> y land. I love that detector too much! That's why
> I bought a MMK and now thinking about purchasing a
> Nox. Also from this [url=https://md-hunter.com/op
> ening-the-makro-multi-kruzer-pictorial-review-to-m
> ake-repairs/]VIDEO[/url] it looks like the MMK is
> easily repairable and its removable screwed on bac
> k cover looks the same as the CTX's . I've seen se
> veral videos of it being used in the water? What a
> bout the Tesoro water detectors? Do you really nee
> d a ID detector at the beach?
>
> tabman

what he say!..go tesoro!

(h.h.!)
j.t.
Tesoro - no screen to mess with.

Screen in the water - PITA for visibility - discrimination above iron not useful for jewelry hunting.

Waterproofing case necessary because screen can’t be inherently waterproof and normal circuit boards can’t stand water contact.

Circuit boards can be conformal coated and be inherently waterproof - including tolerate immersion in seawater.

Connectors can be waterproof and battery compartments sealed and isolated from circuitry.

Controls via buttons can be inherently waterproof.

Where is our simple, waterproof beach detector with “fail safe” design? Light, low water “sweep” resistance, a design which is “immersible” rather than “watertight”.

Oh yes - and electronics on a single card which is replaceable for 1/5 the original cost of the detector or less.

Rick Kempf
what he say!..go tesoro!
learn to hunt with it!..it breaks,send it back get it returned
fixed!.."no charge" pay return postage too! .(w.t.f.)
water machine,land machine,..whatever!.what's NOT to like?

(h.h.!)
j.t.
For salt water beaches, Tesoro has only one offering. - a decades old PI with a rather long minimum pulse delay. Not terrifically deep, no iron discrimination, depends on sealed (therefore buoyant) case for corrosion/flooding protection.

We need a beach machine designed from the ground up to be the ultimate saltwater gold hunter. I’m too old and stiff to bother with clad and iron in the sand. Aluminum is unavoiadable if you want told (sadly).

Rick Kempf
tabman Wrote:
> .... Do you really nee
> d a ID detector at the beach?
>

lytle78 Wrote:
> .... - discri
> mination above iron not useful for jewelry hunting
> .
>

Gentlemen : Even when someone is intending to dig everything above iron (eg.: @ the beach or relicky sites), it is still fun to have TID. Because even though you're going to "dig all anyhow", there's still the subconscious going on, as you evaluate each beep you're getting.
I’m really only talking about saltwater beach jewelry hunting here.

Lots of ways to get target info without a screen, even with only iron ID, a nice ring sounds way different than a scrap of foil. I do agree that being able to discriminate out high conductor coins would be an advantage. The clad crap isn’t worth bending over to recover.

Rick Kempf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2018 04:41PM by lytle78.
lytle78 Wrote:
> For salt water beaches, Tesoro has only one offeri
> ng. - a decades old PI with a rather long minimum
> pulse delay. Not terrifically deep, no iron discr
> imination, depends on sealed (therefore buoyant) c
> ase for corrosion/flooding protection.
>
> We need a beach machine designed from the ground u
> p to be the ultimate saltwater gold hunter. I’m t
> oo old and stiff to bother with clad and iron in t
> he sand. Aluminum is unavoiadable if you want tol
> d (sadly).

understood rick! it's true they haven't done much with new product development
still basically depending on the analog one tone approach..still works for them
i bought a mojave,and i gotta tell ya,it's really a fun detector,but then again i don't go into the water!
if it breaks,regardless of how it's designed,it will cost me nothing to fix,and i can STILL take it into the water
to find stuff.these days,everything seems to be 'cost prohibitive" to repair,so a lifetime warranty can certainly
make a play to people when ya buy something!..i'm just saying'..it's probably what's keeping 'em afloat,but
again,i don't care.i love mine,and they still find the goods!..go tesoro!

(h.h.!)
j.t.