Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Short video I did about iron unmasking ---8/28/18 added another VIDEO

Posted by Keith Southern 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: Short video I did about iron unmasking
August 27, 2018 03:51AM
I guess I better swing slower, even in sparse iron. Thanks Keith. Also I'm going to opt for the 7" concentric on my Kruzer instead of the smaller DD.
August 27, 2018 05:02PM
Hey Carl thanks for the the Video analysis!!

Very much welcome!

Yes VLF machines are Bound to the laws of physics..The small iron and non ferrous can be averaged to produce a signal in snapshot...That's one reason Visual I.D. is out the door in heavy nail's..... T.he ID will be maybe just one point higher than a nail and can be silver range item too

Its the recovery gap that is a real in field nuisance. Especially going form iron to non ferrous..and we know real world sites can have both and more happening in the jambalaya all at once.

A reason I check with simple test for what i want in a unit and then but it in the field to see how well it does..If I have something I can work with intelligently for me to understand and gain a Knowledge of the site through audio reports I can at least Work on a site in my ind anyways more effectively..

And Yes like Tom says.Less than 5 percent(( I wouldn't never know the exact numbers like He does)) is heard in iron...Sad but true is it not...So much stuff we just cant get to..

That's why its so important to have Field/Learning time..You cant read or watch a video,,, you can get a seed planted but you have to go do it and see it happening and pay attention and learn how to combat it somehow....You can have a great unmasker but if you dont know where to use what and how to combat and push it doesn't do much good on beat on sites..These newer units do alot of work for you its true in terms of audio reports..But they can be pushed further with Skill levels and techniques when using the machine as a tool..

Coils are a must have also for site working....one coil may do one thing well but not another on a site...and never gauge your machines ability on one or two sites..you need to build a composite of many sites for that unit.

What I have found to be a step up over SOME older machines in thick nails in some ways is the exact tone break ability better disc tools like hearing iron etc on higher freqs and tighter coils and more bleedy filtering and blending tones helps too.But the old school ideas are still in play like Wayne pointed out..Learn how to use what you have and know its limitations..Sweeps speeds and knowing detector limitations are very important for site work..Anyone can swing a coil and dig a beep but knowing how to get more beeps in a dead site is the key to advanced hunting..

Think It was Steve H. who said 10 percent of the dectorist dig 90 Percent of the finds...And that's a very good analogy...Knowledge is the key to that 10 percent..Luckily Tom D. has shared some of the unmasking knowledge with the detecting community though this site...It can be a jump start of sorts ..Can take years or decades off a individual in opening a door to more finds.

I remember when I was a youngster like maybe about 16 or so ..You know how that age is..LOL...think you know it all....I was with a older guy probably then in his 50s we hunted alot together on civil war sites,,, he had hunted since coming back from Korea with mine machines and worked his way up into then the 1260...We would have talks at lunch time under the trees about relics and detectors and ways to hunt etc..He used to say while we were setting there ,,,Keith if we could see all the stuff in this site right now suspended in the air above the dirt in same layout it is under the soil it would blow our minds what we are walking over..I would say man we about cleaned this site out already come on...That was my 16 year old Know it all attitude..He would just say yeah guess your right and smile at me and say you got it figured out..other times he would talk about if we could get rid of the first 2 inches of top soil on this site we could dig another year in here....He wouldn't never tell me why he was saying this stuff as back then those guys didnt share alot of techniques and info as they didnt need the competition..Everything was top secret..If you learned you learned form watching and doing..He knew masking was going on but wouldnt come out and say it to me.. It was about six years later I was hunting one day and discovered masking in a house site all alone and by myself...It was like I got hit right between the eyes..took me 15 years to figure out there was more than meets the eye...and I thought I had found the Rosetta stone..Next time I saw my buddy I talked to him for along time about my SECRET to SUCCESS ...He listened patiently like he always did.and finally said well your getting there.....What a humbling experience it was to me for him to know what I was talking about and add to what I was saying and figure out Yep I'm getting there..coming up on 30 years later from that moment..and Yep I'm still getting there...So much to learn and not enough time to ever figure it all out...

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
August 27, 2018 07:00PM
When doing these tests with a DD coil it's interesting how items react based on direction of sweep.
It would be interesting to test the same sized coils with the transmit and receive coils reversed.
Maybe some coil manufacturers will offer a choice of left or right Tx/Rx orientation!
August 27, 2018 11:16PM
Agree with TabZilla. With all the new models of metal detectors. Wonder if a coil manufacturer will come out with something drastically new (configuration, ect....) to help in unmasking. We all know what a big difference just changing a coil can make.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/28/2018 11:56PM by Arkansas.
8/28/18 added another VIDEO
August 28, 2018 08:11PM
Some more THOUGHTS to show how hard it is to unmask

Part 2

[www.youtube.com]

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/2018 01:21AM by Keith Southern.
Re: Short video I did about iron unmasking ---8/28/18 added another VIDEO
August 29, 2018 01:52AM
Thanks for the great videos Keith. Sharing your thoughts and experiences about hunting in iron. I’m thinking maybe you could charge for some of this stuff that you share for free. lol Thanks again for your help,and I love this forum!
August 29, 2018 02:35AM
Big thanks Keith. My King Cobra is silent search (no threshold)......Tesoro type disc. Its notch is very selective. Anyways, after hearing a target that only made a clicking sound, decided to dig and found a rusty horseshoe with an Indian Head penny. Since then it has payed for me to dig a repeatable click sound. Iffy targets that break-up or go silent (when swept faster) have always been trash. It's easy to always jump for the newest toy, but in the long run it pays to learn the machine you already have. I'm still learning.
August 30, 2018 01:20AM
Blackflag Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks for the great videos Keith. Sharing your th
> oughts and experiences about hunting in iron. I’m
> thinking maybe you could charge for some of this s
> tuff that you share for free. lol Thanks again fo
> r your help,and I love this forum!

Hey Blackflag long time no see!!
Hmmm.... Pick up some battery money HMMMM!!!!LOL

Arkansas congrats on the hidden Injun!!!

Keith

-Nikola Tesla
August 30, 2018 02:27AM
Good stuff Keith----but----we STILL want some more rap vids!!!!!!!!!cool smiley