Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

For Sale New Minelab Sovereign 2020 model

Posted by Des D 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
For Sale New Minelab Sovereign 2020 model
September 02, 2018 04:13PM
Q. Would you buy a New Minelab Sovereign in 2020 if Minelab introduced a new digital version?

Q. What Features should it have?

Q. What size / type coil's should it have?

Q. What Price would you pay?

Q. What weight should it be?

No, I am not soliciting information for them! It's just the 'Sov' would be my most favorite detectors of all time and I'd love to see it back again in a NEW Digital Version for 2020 (should give 'em enough time to read these posts and act on it!)
Re: For Sale New Minelab Sovereign 2020 model
September 02, 2018 04:24PM
Yes, but it will be called the Equinox 1600.

Past(or)Tom
Using a Legend, a Deus 2, an Equinox 800, a Tarsacci MDT 8000, & a few others...
with my beloved, fading Corgi, Sadie
September 02, 2018 05:13PM
Bearing in mind the standard Sovereign IS digital, what were you meaning by a "Digital Sov"? LCD display, buttons to adjust things ?

I would expect a modern Sov to be smaller, lighter, use fewer batteries, rather Equinox-like, in fact.
September 02, 2018 05:37PM
I never put the time in on one to learn it. But hunted with a Guy who had one for Years and He gave Me a Whippin'.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/2018 05:39PM by Harold,ILL..
September 02, 2018 07:52PM
Only unit I ever used that told me silver by its sweet audio...found a lot of big silver compared to other units I used ratio wise....ahhh memories sov. wiggle......a depth meter was the only thing missing.....loved my 59 chevy but just like the original sov….aint going to make any...
September 02, 2018 07:59PM
I have had a couple soveriegns over the years but never really felt I used them to their full potential, I hunt a lot of trashy parks. So tell me are they suitable for park hunting or more geared to relic hunting? I would like to give one another try.
September 02, 2018 10:09PM
Just put it in a small waterproof box with a better battery system. I'm sure Minelab would do something goofy like use a totally different headphone connection than the Equinox or CTX.
September 03, 2018 11:21AM
I think it's very likely that the Equinox could be reprogrammed to function exactly like a Sovereign. Clearly it would need a new LCD display, and there's the coil problem - Sovs run lower freq than the Equinox, so might need changing.
September 03, 2018 08:00PM
Digital display/control would be okay but not necessary to me;

my must haves

Waterproof to at least 15'
lighter
much faster recovery (but switch to toggle between slow/med/fast) so we can choose depending on site/conditions (and make slow the speed current models have)
variable tone break (knob rotates from 0 to 50)
iron vol control (knob rotates from 0 to 10)
better batt system (as someone else mentioned)
light interchangeable coils (4x6 - 5x10 - 11" round)
interchangeable HP's -- send from factory with good loud waterproof ones (we'all have 200 pairs of land HP's we can use)!
September 03, 2018 08:31PM
Pasttom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yes, but it will be called the Equinox 1600.

Twice as good as the Nox 800 ??.
September 04, 2018 09:48AM
Some good suggestions there 'MRH'

What I'd like to see in a New DIGITAL Sovereign (Sov's are Analog with BBS digital processing via a processor) are:

1. Analog audio as per existing Sov's and not awful digital screeching (think Racer's) - they had it in the original Explorer.
2. A new coil design that could switch from DD to CC by some method as per DVT on the GPX's.
3. Discrimination Roaming - the ability to range up & down thru the full disc scale to hear the 'drop-out point' of targets.
4. A new meter system inbuilt into the front of the control box.
5. An add-on speaker that's detachable.

Lots of owners swear by the Explorer's audio on deep silver - retain that and put a lot of work into creating analog audio in a digital platform.

I've used a Detech Excellerator concentric 8" coil on an Sovereign XS2a and thought it was brilliant - it was able to find thin coins where the DD's couldn't.
T'would be great to have the ability to 'bend' the coil pattern into the soil to switch on and switch off the coil's penetration footprint.

DISC ROAMING is what "Tesoro" fans do when they [ rotate the DISC knob ] with the thumb and listen out for what happens as they swing across targets.
From where the audio stops or continues they know what the targets will be.
This control could be by way of a button - think Troy Shadow X5 with the 'penny check' system or by way of a programable system that repeated 'pressing' could range thru a series of Conductive levels.
What no one has said to the best of my knowledge, this was workable on the 'Makro Racer 2' with the 'ID Level' by holding down the + button and the Discrimination ranges up thru the entire scale in milliseconds. It's difficult to control as it can be too quick but it is 100% effective as per the Tesoro method.

A small meter is all that's required to show the various targets in their specific areas - think Fisher CZ6a - I think that is brilliant.

Do we really need speakers? You could have more room on a small control box that would accommodate other things and if one needed a speaker, it could be 'stuck on' (this didn't really fly on a Fisher model many years ago but done well could be great)
This would help in keeping the box waterproof - speaking of - CTX build isn't required - just a small square 'black box' with some internal sealing abilities.

I've some Photos off various 'Sov control box designs that I had given to the engineers thru the years and if I can find them I'll put them up: there were other ideas incorporated into them but I don't believe they are 'deal-breaker's' anymore e.g. Iron Audio, Tone Break etc. Are these really necessary?"
September 04, 2018 02:27PM
Most Excal users go out of their way to mod the pinpoint mode. All metal. Myself included. The mod served two purposes. The switch or pot on the Excal that would do the switching would wear out from use and all metal is more sensitive and deeper. Not so on the Sovereigns I use. I have proved this to myself time and time again. The nulling of The threshold in discrimination mode has found me the most gold on the beach. All metal never reacts. The threshold characteristics including tone change need to be implemented in any new Sovereign or it isn't a Sovereign. No speaker is ok with me. No meter? The ability to hook up older coils with a small adapter would be nice. And balance on a straight shaft with no twist cams.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/2018 02:37PM by goodmore.
September 04, 2018 08:20PM
Can't really change much on a Sovereign or it wouldn't be a Sovereign. But I would like to see the Notka FORS series Handle display on Sovereign. Keep the box under the arm, add a trigger pinpoint and the Notka Fors handle display. Add pitch hold threshold. That would be cool. Maybe make the Iron Mask an adjustable dial instead of a switch.

Just that little bit would be way cool to me.

HH
Mike