Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Detectors that could tell Silver by tone only?

Posted by Harold,ILL. 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Detectors that could tell Silver by tone only?
September 02, 2018 09:33PM
I saw Dan,Pa. Comment on the Sovereign and got Me to thinking. I have heard talk of different Detectors that have a certain tone on Silver like Explorers, Etc. I never bonded with the Explorer and Etrac sounds the same on Deep Silver or Copper to My ears so never had a Machine with a Silver type tone.
What Detectors have some of You used New or Old that had a certain tone on Silver?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/2018 10:17PM by Harold,ILL..
Re: Detectors that could tell Silver by tone only?
September 02, 2018 10:33PM
Explorer2 in Conductive tones with Variability maxed out. The memory can be very selective...just because you thought that super flutey high tone was silver but it’s actually just a foot deep clad quarter....we have a way of only noticing when that tone IS silver,and then say we can tell. The reality is,nothing is foolproof. But the EX2 has been REALLY good at this,coil be damned. The CTX does it in a different way. The signal,coinciding with the depth meter(because silver is more Conductive than copper,and deep coin signals generally mean older coins) if strong at 9-10”....likely silver if numbers are correct enough. Wheats and copper usually peter out at 7-8” before they get broken. That’s the 411 from around here,others have different experiences.
BTW...all are invited to hunt my spots. I’ll pay a 5$ bounty on ANY silver coin you find,and YOU keep the coins! I wanna see if you can,that’s all. Takers please PM me...
September 02, 2018 10:37PM
I agree with IDX-monster on the Exp. II for this question. But .... I'll bet you dollars to donuts, that several other people will come along on this thread, and vote for the another classic : Teknetics Mark 1. Circa 1985 or '86-ish. That had a killer tell-tale sound for silver.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/2018 10:38PM by Tom_in_CA.
September 02, 2018 11:13PM
Heck Explorers warbled but even on deep clad..not the best hearing but always thought I could pick up audio variances that my clubmembers could not and would bet the house even if other coins were in with silver such as a wheatie etc with a Sov...Tesoro told me a lot with audio variances but not with silver coins rather tabs, foil gold rings and such.
Have to admit the cursor movements and placement told me a lot rel silver with Explorers but that was video on the screen. As much as I used a CZ all it told me was extreme depth on high tone...Have two shoeboxes of crusty Wheaties that I dug because of this...Interesting post...come on guys give up your little secrets...
September 03, 2018 12:20AM
My old Tesero golden sabre II I could tell silver coins most of the time.
September 03, 2018 12:26AM
I think the Etrac.. sounds better on deep silver in parks.. than a wheat does!
That’s with variability all the way up!..gain at 19....seems to sound higher to me.. than a wheat.. when deep.
But what the heck do I know....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/03/2018 12:28AM by mascard1.
September 03, 2018 02:05PM
Lack of responses especially on this high tech forum tells me either members rely very little on audio variances or perhaps not willing to share their experiences with various units.
September 03, 2018 02:11PM
I have heard tales of the Ole' Teknetics Mark I having a Silver tone. I never owned one Myself.
September 03, 2018 02:12PM
Deus in full tones has a very high telling tone on silver all be it not as sweet as the minelab silver tone. I don't use full tones for relics anymore as it has no iron volume.
September 03, 2018 08:59PM
Harold,ILL. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have heard tales of the Ole' Teknetics Mark I ha
> ving a Silver tone. I never owned one Myself.

I don't know about a 'silver tone',but a high conductive target tonal range more broad than any other analog metal detector. Anything over '74' on the meter scale.

You can set the threshold tone pitch for a clad dime/copper penny and if you hear any higher pitched tone,chances it'll be silver or a higher denomination coin.
Reference Pitch

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/2018 03:24PM by straker.
September 03, 2018 09:04PM
Thanks, and that is a Clean Mark I LTD You have there.
September 04, 2018 03:40AM
Tom_in_CA Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I agree with IDX-monster on the Exp. II for this
> question. But .... I'll bet you dollars to donut
> s, that several other people will come along on th
> is thread, and vote for the another classic : Tek
> netics Mark 1. Circa 1985 or '86-ish. That had
> a killer tell-tale sound for silver.

Yep. My first Target ID machine.

Rich

------------------------------------------------------------------

Just one more good target before I go.
September 05, 2018 12:53AM
Silver by Tone (ID) only...implies no visual meter?? Perhaps Minelab Sovereign.
September 05, 2018 09:40AM
The Omega 8000 has a bit softer tone when over silver. I am right far more often then not when thinking silver as I dig. HH jim tn
September 05, 2018 11:50AM
My Fisher 1266 had an unmistakeable tone ID on silver. Be it a shallow or deep target.