Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

nuggetnoggin

Posted by ghound 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: nuggetnoggin
September 08, 2018 11:36AM
I like the Hoover Boys. They hunt all day and work hard. I admire that. They dig tons of junk. They respect the hobby. And to be honest they are good at it. They swing Garretts for the most part. One of them is even on the box of the Max. The focus of the videos is not on the detectors. It is on the targets. Entertaining to me. Likable characters and to be honest I would love to spend a day with them hunting or even just listening about hunting. They are just south of me, and some day maybe. I don't care what you swing. Getting the most out of it combined with a hard work ethic impresses me. Throw in a knowledge of coins, buttons, and a true respect for the hobby along with some humor? Yeah I like watching them.
September 08, 2018 12:56PM
I hunted a few times with a gentleman who seemed very genuine about the hobby. He was making a few Youtube videos and was great at production. He asked me for a good spot, made a video, and even found old silver there.

All I asked in return was a trip to a any CW site that he had found, since he said he had quite a few. He mentioned one that he had found countless .44 Colts at.

When pressed, he said it was "hunted out" and not worth going to. Next thing I saw were videos at the site, taking Tennessee Jeff and Hornbush and they were digging bullets galore.

Goes to show how the Youtube fame bug can bite someone, where their love of the hobby is really love of fame. I wouldn't trade that love of the hobby for Youtube fame but maybe someone else can go "Digging With....."
September 08, 2018 05:03PM
Money, fame, and power.....not easily controlled. I have a friend that's an artist. He does some amazing rock carvings. He said that with all the galleries, art shows, festivals, and internet ......it made his hobby a job. His early (real) art was his personal internal expression ......then later produced carvings he thought someone would buy. He now realizes the dilemma and chose "his-art" over money. He's much happier. I'm not suggesting that we need to be "starving artists". Just a reminder to be sure you are still having fun (no matter the hobby). Thanks

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2018 08:19PM by Arkansas.
September 09, 2018 11:50AM
I agree goodmore the hoover boys are entertaining and make some great videos. They have some of the best sites I have seen hunted . What I would give though to follow them around with a Deus HF coil and a Equinox on some of those iron loaded sites they hunt witth those garrets.
September 09, 2018 12:27PM
It's interesting....the Hoover Boys are the only detecting YouTube channel I will watch these days...and it's been that way for a while now. I agree with what was said earlier in regards to Aquachigger and such. In the early going, he made some really awesome finds but I also believe he was one of the pioneers to relic water hunting and had some great sources that were untapped prior to him hunting them. Thus he was finding artillery shells, guns, belt plates, etc in seemingly every video he uploaded. I think he brought a lot of attention to what he was doing to the creeks/rivers in his area, and brought on a lot of competition in the process. It's amazing how quick people can horn in to your areas by a video or picture.

My area is full of what you could call relic hunting vultures. The odd part about them is they wont lift a finger to research a site; do map overlays, etc. But they will go full out Sherlock Holmes to figure out where other people are hunting. I mean as in driving around looking for other known relic hunter's vehicles...or the modern version of that is finding local people that do YouTube videos and carefully scanning anything and everything for clues as to where the person is hunting and finding stuff in that particular video. To them, THAT IS site research. Hornbush was brought up in this thread in another post. Before I even knew who Hornbush was, or where he lived...I happened to find his videos one day several years back. In watching the first video, I paused it just a few minutes into it and couldn't believe what I was seeing...OR what I thought I was seeing. He was hunting a spot I thought I recognized by a ridge formation in the background of his video. A few frames later confirmed it. He was a local guy that I didn't know...and he was hunting on my turf. He actually took down some of his videos due to other local hunters that found out where he was digging by the same method I had found him. I think he stopped doing videos for a while; I don't know if he still does them or not. I quit watching them even though he was local and digging in some of my old camps I used to hunt. I got tired of hearing "That's a great find...I'll see you at the next hole" after every thing he dug. I hunted with him a time or two but felt I needed to distance myself from their team. It got to be where instead of just one or two people hunting a site, he would invite the whole team of 5 or more people and I never felt comfortable with that many hunters. Two is fine...three is a crowd...4 or more is a no no.
September 09, 2018 01:15PM
Same thing going on in my area. I have to be careful about filming hunts.... The spot I found the John Adam cufflink had dig hole on it last time I was there. Its posted and I have permission no others do. I heard about someone finding a Large cent in that area from another relic hunter. I just about know who the pirate is...…..tough game.
September 09, 2018 02:42PM
Videos are they legal proof? What are our rights? Say one is hunting legally in an area you are granted permission (or public place).....and you find something extremely valuable and/or historical importance. I'd be leery to post pics or show video. Not only because of location pirates, but also some authority may claim rights to the item.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2018 06:56PM by Arkansas.
September 10, 2018 11:57AM
Calabash I have seen landmarks that I recognize in your video's but do not go there. Only hunted inland 5 times since I moved to the coast. Permission is paramount to me. No fun looking over your shoulder all the time. I have had spots hunted back when I posted on the Tube and didn't like it. I was new to the hobby and it didn't occur to me that would happen. I would run into Noggin at some spots in Charlotte that were known to everyone and he was a nice guy but hardly talked. Just out of high school and hunted with his dad. One thing several folks that I know stated is he was good at hunting with you but never invited them to go to his spots. He was using a Fisher at that time. The Hoover Boys do get the finds.
September 10, 2018 12:01PM
Thanks !
September 10, 2018 01:30PM
Arkansas Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Videos are they legal proof? What are our rights?
> Say one is hunting legally in an area you are gran
> ted permission (or public place).....and you find
> something extremely valuable and/or historical imp
> ortance. I'd be leery to post pics or show video.
> Not only because of location pirates, but also som
> e authority may claim rights to the item.

Speaking just for me......I would never post a video or pic of a ring or something else I found while beach hunting that has good value to it. Now I do agree with returns. But I have no time for false claims. If it can be identified and returned I will do my best. Even a serviceman's dog tag I recently found. If it is worth some money and no ID.........well I guess I have some pirate in me. Historical? Personally....I think that is for the community. When I dirt hunted that was part of my sales pitch to get permission. Anything property related goes to the owner anything historical we will share with the community. To be honest I was hunting coins so it was really never an issue for me. But I did find old property related things. All offered and shown to the owner.

On a beach? I'll show my trash all day to anyone that wants to see my finds. The good stuff is in a different compartment. None of that "I just lost that" claims coming from depositors. Show on the internet at your own peril. I'm not in it for the glory. The wife wears one. The rest get cashed eventually. I heard the really really good stuff has laser ID. Never found one of those. I got a guy that is a son of guy that knows a guy that would probably buy it anyways. But if it can be returned so be it....maybe a reward?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2018 01:33PM by goodmore.
September 10, 2018 05:21PM
I pretty much agree with what's been said so far. I am a subscriber of the 'chigar' and 'nogin' and several others. What I haven't seen is the side of video production when it becomes your source of living/income. The pressure of getting views and 'scribers can become crushing and drive the on air personas and temptation to salt finds. I am not saying anyone mentioned is/has done this, just that it is done and I can see why. Not my thing to judge or condemn. I see it as fun and sometimes educational.

Past(or)Tom
Using a Legend, a Deus 2, an Equinox 800, a Tarsacci MDT 8000, & a few others...
with my beloved, fading Corgi, Sadie
September 10, 2018 06:06PM
ShovelNose Wrote:
> Permission
> is paramount to me. No fun looking over your shoul
> der all the time. I have had spots hunted back wh
> en I posted on the Tube and didn't like it. I was
> new to the hobby and it didn't occur to me that wo
> uld happen.

It's only a matter of time when the YouTube '2+ live crew' will meet the land owner who drew and said "Youse out of here,Long Time!"

Expect the Unexpected
September 10, 2018 11:17PM
Des --

Had no idea you spent time in Pittsburgh!

The Pittsburgh area is where I grew up, and still where I call "home." In fact, as I type this, I'm on vacation at my Mom's house in the home I grew up in -- out near the Pittsburgh Airport!

Steve

Des D Wrote:
> Ghound, a cultural difference between what we do h
> ere as beach access is so easy but some states are
> landlocked so people hang out on the river.
> When I lived in Pittsburgh, we hung out on their "
> Three Rivers" a lot: the Oakmont area is popular.
> Detected Oakmont Park too and met a fellow Garrett
> user there and we became good friends as he worked
> close to where I was working.
>
> At 8.17 in, I remember testing the waterproof inte
> grity of the CTX in a very similar waterfall!
>
> S'funny but a friend recommended an "Olympus Tough
> " waterproof camera exactly the same as the first
> camera he found!!!"