Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Equinox and TID “cramping”

Posted by Gannon 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Equinox and TID “cramping”
September 09, 2018 01:40AM
Is it me or is there a problem with the copper penny/clad dime/silver dime all sound the same and read out the same?

Today at a park dating 1922 I found a soft area (50x75) that had rich, dark and loose soil.

Working slow I got a deep clear high tone reading 26-27..I was really hoping for a merc.. but a dang 59 memorial was 6 inches down.

No more than 5 feet away I got another 26-27 high tone.. ticked off about digging another memorial a Silver Rosie popped out!

So the heat got to me and I left.

Is it me or does the Equinox feel like the deus with ID Norm on? Why are these 3 coins so cramped together?

I may be complaining a bit but I come from the deus and Etrac and the TID is usually vastly different with these 3 targets. Anyone else been experienceing this?

G

XP Deus
Minelab Etrac
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett Carrot
22 silvers, 2 silver rings, 1 Gold Ring -YTD 2018

Some of my random digs: [www.youtube.com]
Re: Equinox and TID “cramping”
September 09, 2018 02:42AM
I am checking 11 different coins. More of an airtest comparing the 2 versions.

Settings
Park 2
0 GB
Noise cancel channel 1
Speed 6
Iron bias 0
50 tones
Sensitivty 22

Alright these coins swept real close, ID of these is what I am curious about.

These results below are with NEW version update installed.

Clad Quarter.............29
Clad dime.................25
Copper penny 1964...25
Zincoln.....................20/21
Clad nickle.................13

Standing Liberty Quarter....31
Half dime.........................21
Seated dime.....................25
Merc dime........................26
Barber dime......................25
Buffalo nickel....................12

Next data below same settings using OLDER version software.

Old version results sweeping exact same coins above.

Clad Quarter.............29/30
Clad dime.................25
Copper penny 1964...25
Zincoln.....................20/21
Clad nickle.................13

Standing Liberty Quarter....31
Half dime.........................21
Seated dime.....................25
Merc dime........................26
Barber dime......................25
Buffalo nickel....................12

Clad Quarter showed a little difference. Keep in mind, this doesn’t mean maybe newer version is doing something in the ground or at greater distances depthnwise the older version isn’t.
September 09, 2018 03:24AM
Nice test!!

Looks like they are sorta stuffed in the mid twenties for some reason. Very odd

XP Deus
Minelab Etrac
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett Carrot

September 09, 2018 03:42AM
Gannon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nice test!!
>
> Looks like they are sorta stuffed in the mid twent
> ies for some reason. Very odd

Well,
Remember Etrac works on a 50 point scale.
Clad dime reads 43 conductive and silver dime 45. Assuming no wear.

Deus works on 90 point scale but allows for unnormalized selection for VDI.
Nox works on a 35 point scale.

Next, wonder how many silver dimes have been passed by unknowingly by Etrac cherry pickers that read 42 or 43 conductive especially in sites with both more modern and older history?
And low and behold a Nox runner comes behind and cashes in.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2018 03:44AM by tnsharpshooter.
September 09, 2018 09:34AM
Interesting post. The age old question of copper pennies (pre-zinc) vs silver dimes. They are SSssseeeoooo close in TID . Then you add the ground question, depth, etc... And ... is it still possible to tell the difference ?

A buddy of mine dug 25 silver coins from a park in a single day. And 100+ wheaties from the same park in that day. Using the time-honored Exp. II . That's a ~ 1 to 4 ratio, right ? And I asked him if .... when it came to silver dimes vs wheaties, if he could tell any difference (whether via audio or TID on the 3D screen). He initially said "yes" . Ie.: Yes, that he always has a suspicion as to whether he was about to dig a silver coin. So I asked him "then why didn't you just skip the boring '40s/50s's wheaties, and just dig silver ?"

He said that nagging doubts always had him checking "just to make sure".

Here's where the psychology of "memory bias" comes into play: Anytime we think : "This one sounds like silver", we tend to remember those premonitions. And the moment it turns out to be a wheatie or junk, we say to ourselves: "Gee, it *did* sound a little junky". But if it turns out to be silver, we say "AHA, I knew it ". Thus these tests of copper pennies vs silver dimes can be skewed . eye rolling smiley
September 09, 2018 09:36AM
You have to know the history of the site and the depth becomes very important. Still a 35 point scale is just squeezing numbers. I doubt any update will address that. The Makro/Nokta team took a lot of heat on the Racer with it squeezing numbers. Personally I hope any update doesn't mess with the Nox and small rings. I'll leave coins in the sand. No big deal to me. But that is the dilemma for Minelab. Everyone wants something different. Many on this Forum especially Keith have called for expanded scales on detectors. The relic hunters want that expanded iron scale. The coin hunters want that coin separation. I had the Whites Eagle Spectrum back in the late 80s. A 100 point scale. Spectrum ID. It had some flaws, but I remember the basics quite well. 30 years later and what? If I still dirt hunted in nice yards and did some door knocking...I don't think I would use the Nox. Too many unwanted holes. The beach. Just keep beeping on the gold! That first Deus I had with the 9 inch coil? Now that was my favorite yard hunter.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2018 09:46AM by goodmore.
September 09, 2018 11:33AM
I wonder if the guys writing the Nox programs could create a program that could push all the iron to the bottom number on the VDI and give more spread to the positive side of the scale.
September 09, 2018 12:07PM
Yes I know that if a company listened to everyone than.... nothing would ever get made because no one would be happy. But I do wish they would have stuck with and carried over the 50 scale from CTX and ETRAC.

I agree on the low conductor topic.. its deadly on Nickels.... I'll take the cramped numbers, since this area works so well.

XP Deus
Minelab Etrac
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett Carrot

September 09, 2018 02:31PM
The copper penny/ dime ID on the Nox is frustrating for sure. I have noticed a " tell". Certainly not fool proof and like Tom's friend, I can't pass digging a copper penny because there is that chance that it may be a silver dime co located with another target. Anyway, it seems that (prior to the update- may still be the same) a copper penny will come in at those higher 20s just like a dime but as you circle it the VDI will bounce down in to the low 20s. Where as, a dime, tends to stay high unless it's deep or co located. I've been working a lot and haven't had a chance to compare since the update.

Dean
September 09, 2018 02:57PM
Nobody using an Etrac is going to pass on anything reading in the 40's...LOL
September 10, 2018 01:10PM
All that changes in ground and position. I would bet that his silver rosie was at an angle. Like I stated previously, a silver dime will dip into the 30's in ground.