Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Sand scoop recommendation anyone??

Posted by Dan(NM) 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Sand scoop recommendation anyone??
September 11, 2018 09:03PM
I'm in the process of moving to Texas and will be very close to Lake Travis. I need to add to my gear, a decent sand scoop for fresh water hunting. Can someone recommend one that won't break the bank. I'm not sure what type of soil/sand/dirt I'm going to encounter, so, I may have to wait until I get over there later this month, thanks.
Re: Sand scoop recommendation anyone??
September 11, 2018 09:10PM
X-treme Scoop I think they are out of Texas.
September 11, 2018 09:52PM
I went on the cheap side with a scoop this year. Wasn’t sure how much I was going to use it and all the name brand scoops were pricy.

I went with a Quest Scoopal, and bought a cheap post digger handle at a tractor supply. I paid $95 from a dealer. I’ve used it a lot this year and it’s been holding up well.
September 11, 2018 10:13PM
I started off thinking that all a man would ever need is one scoop. I now own 4. And the nearest saltwater beach for me is 8 hours away. I have started doing a lot of freshwater hunting and that's where the trouble begins for me. I run into several different soils on the bottom. From red slimy clay, to rock, to shoal, to fine sand and gravel. One beach is split in half as to the bottom. One side is clay and the other is easy to scoop sand and shell. One scoop just wont do it all. Not even close. I try to use the X-Treme due to the one I have has a wide mouth and makes it easier to scoop blind....but the truth is, it sucks in most all my freshwater sites. Awesome for sugar sand and medium shell bottoms though. The Nuttall gets the most use for me for freshwater. It is a lot heavier and the lip design helps it bite into almost everything but the hardest of rock and clay. But it is only about 6 inches wide....which means I spend a little more time scooping per target. I started out with one of those orange handled ones you see all over the internet. I hate that one. It never gets used. And I bought another one back earlier in the year with smaller drain holes to help keep smaller things in the basket. It rarely gets used either.
September 12, 2018 02:47PM
Scoop is one aspect and many to choose from...make sure it has a sturdy handle as lots of pressure on same when scooping the wet sand...

Dry sand a floral shovel works well....
Cheap scoops cost more in the long run
September 12, 2018 07:02PM
I lived in SE TX back in the 80s and fished Lake Travis more than once. Get one with a nice point, SS, personal preference as to angle ( I rec 20 degrees), and 7" or 9" opening.
Several good ones out there, but you will never go wrong with a Sunspot Stealth. Read their warranty- thatll clinch it for you. + they have absolutely the best customer service of anyone I have dealt with ever. And I mean Ever.