Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Seems California is where the gold coins are - Clad too and silver rings.

Posted by Sod-buster 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Seems California is where the gold coins are - Clad too and silver rings.
January 11, 2018 04:50AM
Re: Seems California is where the gold coins are - Clad too and silver rings.
January 11, 2018 05:35AM
Now that is unbelievable!!!!

Steve
January 11, 2018 10:44AM
Those quarters don't look dug to me. Perhaps his area is littered with recent drops laying on the surface or he has a super secret technique for cleaning clad.
January 11, 2018 01:19PM
Not at all beyond the scope of attainability to a devoted clad hunter,,,,,actually the ring count is rather low. If you do the math , and his posts are accurate , it only works out to about a ring every other hunt and less than $3/hour for his reported hunt time and frequency. He mentions "Mud" somewhere and I'm assuming he is referring to the guy who goes by "mudpuppy" that was banned from Finds a ways back. He is a dedicated park pirate who "accumulates" whatever is not tied down at any public venue he visits , right down to peoples sandals and ice chests at the beach , and thinks its enviable behavior. If this guy is emulating him and specializing in rapid ground cover cherry picking and recovery , those numbers are not out of line. I don't read other forums so I'm not familiar with any other posts of his.

What amazes me is that he would need to soothe his ego to the extent that he would waste so much time with his presenting it to the members of that forum in the fashion he did.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2018 05:19PM by shoveler.
January 11, 2018 01:29PM
Bayard Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Those quarters don't look dug to me. Perhaps his
> area is littered with recent drops laying on the s
> urface or he has a super secret technique for clea
> ning clad.

That's what I was thinking too. The left side 4.5 rows are definitely dug. The rest? I dunno about that. I've dug a lot of clad quarters and most of mine are some shade of brown or green, or tarnished to some degree, not shiny.
January 11, 2018 01:44PM
As a side note here. I have been thinking. Could the recent forest fires in the state have allowed for some areas to be hunted seeking the gold coins? And could the rain with mudslides as of late moved and or buried some gold coins so they never get found period?? Unless another event reexposes them as being "possibly" depth detectable.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2018 01:45PM by Sod-buster.
January 11, 2018 01:56PM
I guess he got those quarters coin roll hunting, because he sure didn't dig them.
January 11, 2018 02:41PM
steveg Wrote:
> Now that is unbelievable!!!!
>
> Steve

Yah got that right! "Unbelievable" is the word!
January 11, 2018 04:24PM
Hey Shoveler,

You’re a bit hard on old “Mud-puppy”. He has an “all-in” approach to detecting which I have to admire. He strips away all of the kind little fictions that we wrap our detecting with and lays bare the “bones” our of our “Hunter-gatherer” natures.

He also does it with some of the clearest and funniest writing on the entire internet. Among his admirers is Dave Johnson (yes, THAT Dave Johnson) - who is himself no slouch when it comes to English prose (or designing metal detectors).

Here’s mud’s signature line motto - I think it’s great.

‘Detecting is the study of Mankinds interaction with topography, the untrustworthiness of pockets, and metals desire to return to the Earth from whence it came.”

And here’s a whole dose of raw “Mud-puppy” for those brave enough to stomach it. It’s a little essay on “metaldetecting bycatch”

Right! Golf balls are big money Bycatch!! Fast Easy mover at the yearly garage sale..a whole dman 5gal bucket full, with the bucket also being found in a ditch...yep theres $25! Easy!

Really frosts the Wifes biscuit though..I'm selling steady metal detecting bycatch finds, skateboards, softballs, dog toys, hotwheels, coats, hats, shoes, and jackets, and She's sitting there grumpy unnoticed and ignored behind a table full of Polish Pottery and BeanieBabies...! Its freaking hilarious! "All My Fault" for some reason!

I'm like Hey..it aint my fault nobody wants your dman plates or beanie babies, now excuse me, I gotta Lady over there sifting through my flipflops and beach towels..........”

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2018 04:29PM by lytle78.
January 11, 2018 04:55PM
Lytle , Dave probably admires mudpuppy more for his prose and the advertising he gives Fisher for using a F70 than he admires him for his ethics.
I'm just from the old school that says if someone forgets to take something with them , they should at least have 10 minutes to come back and retrieve it.winking smiley
I wouldn't put my dog on a long leash in a park where mudpuppy was detecting , but that's just me.
January 11, 2018 05:25PM
Regardless of someone's "internet credibility", it is unrealistic to say that a human being is beyond bias or even corruptibility. I don't know the person, and maybe he is a straight shooter. I can only judge by what my experience and common sense tells me. Rick, I have a great deal of respect for you and I am sorry if I am insulting your friend. I just feel the need to provide an alternative explanation.
January 11, 2018 08:06PM
Beyonder. My friend is this guy “Mud-puppy” who Shoveler doesn’t care for - I don’t know anything about the guy the post is originally about - but thanks for the kind words.

Rick Kempf
January 11, 2018 09:31PM
That's a lot of digging! Maybe he has a rock tumbler(Polisher) and tumbles his coins. Just a thought. I use to catch crap on the forums when I was raking Quarters with the DFX and BigFoot Coil. It was nothing to hit a grass field at an elementary school and dig $20 to $30 worth of Quarters in 4 or 5 hours of swinging. Not believable to many as my finds were questioned all the time. LAying out the quarters like that, to take the picture was a lot of work as well. I hunted a college rental property that was made up of two old house next door to each other. I found a lot of modern clad quarters(Probably from drinking games), bunch of Wheats and some nice old silver coins and 4 silver rings in one hunt. (Pictured is the Wheat pennies) I had a picture that included the quarters but can't find it. I had people calling Bullshit right and left but it was the truth. So it's hard to tell sometimes...

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2018 09:36PM by CyberSage.
January 11, 2018 11:38PM
Yes those Bigfoot coils can rake in the clad on big athletics fields. Had one on a XL-PRO with the 4 Tone Mod. Last tone was Quarter up so perfect for raking Quarters. Also the 4 Filter nice as liked a fast sweep to cover a lot of ground fast. In a Soccer field or two could fill a apron full of Quarters fast.
January 11, 2018 11:40PM
As I said in my first post here , before lytle sidetracked the post defending the park pirate , those numbers are impressive but not unbelievable at all. After cardio pulmonary issues stopped my detecting of 45 degree slopes at 8,000 to 10,000' altitudes for gold and I was forced to the nearest venue to detect , I still managed to snag close to $1000 a year in parks and schools. In a couple of hours of detecting 3 or 4 bucks was pretty easy and on a daily basis it adds up fast. 8 hours in a tumbler with lemon juice soap , washing soda and some driveway gravel and it for the most part looked like any other pocket change. A guy would snag at least a silver ring a day and often a couple of junkers and about 10 gold every year , which is why I think this guy is a rapid mover not looking for the harder stuff. I no longer clean it that well as 4 hours in a tumbler keeps me from being sheepish when I take the clad to the bank's coin machine,,,, last year in June I dumped the coffee can from the first of the year and had in excess of $450 , and I'm dragging seven decades of bodily abuse and a CABG x5 around with me,,,just think what a young buck could do especially in Kalifornia with a population density 15 times what I see here.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2018 12:11AM by shoveler.
January 12, 2018 12:13AM
CyberSage Wrote:
> That's a lot of digging! Maybe he has a rock tumbl
> er(Polisher) and tumbles his coins. Just a thought
> . I use to catch crap on the forums when I was rak
> ing Quarters with the DFX and BigFoot Coil. It was
> nothing to hit a grass field at an elementary scho
> ol and dig $20 to $30 worth of Quarters in 4 or 5
> hours of swinging. Not believable to many as my fi
> nds were questioned all the time. LAying out the q
> uarters like that, to take the picture was a lot o
> f work as well. I hunted a college rental propert
> y that was made up of two old house next door to e
> ach other. I found a lot of modern clad quarters(P
> robably from drinking games), bunch of Wheats and
> some nice old silver coins and 4 silver rings in o
> ne hunt. (Pictured is the Wheat pennies) I had a p
> icture that included the quarters but can't find i
> t. I had people calling Bullshit right and left bu
> t it was the truth. So it's hard to tell sometimes
> ...
>
>

Hi Jack!!
January 12, 2018 12:49AM
Hey Shoveler - “Park Pirate” - I think “Mud” will like that - pretty well sums it up. In his defense, I’m pretty sure he waits till the folks leave the site before he attacks !

Always enjoy your stuff - we all have our own idea of fun.

Seriously though, the finding of lost objects and the leagal/moral twists and turns of that are a relevant and important issue for our hobby. Your concerns do you credit.

Rick Kempf