Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

New places for hunting silver coins, ect........

Posted by sonny(IN) 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
New places for hunting silver coins, ect........
September 13, 2018 03:28PM
I work with a guy that last year bought a garrett AT pro. Well he has had more good finds in the last year than most newby and even some vets. He seems to hunt nothing but yards. This guy has got into more yards in a year than some in a lifetime. Needless to say he has done GREAT finding tokens, silver old keys, and numerous other items. Has found 2 silver dollars in one yard. Half dimes, indian heads . walking liberty halves. actually to many to list I have been more than impressed with his way to hunt. He never goes to a park, or any other places that are most likely been hunted to death. Guess knocking on doors is the best way to make more good finds. I witnessed this guys technique and it has workd great for him. Maybe a lesson learned.. I still am golfing instead of detecting???
Re: New places for hunting silver coins, ect........
September 13, 2018 03:38PM
If yards have silver I would think so do the parks and schools

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
September 13, 2018 03:44PM
my point is most parks and schools have been hunted very very hard. The yards have not been hunted as hard as park. He has bound silver 3 inches. They are mostly virgin territory. Find a virgin park or school!
September 13, 2018 03:46PM
most yards that he hunts seem to be virgin. Find a park or school that has not been hunted
September 13, 2018 03:47PM
schools and parks have been hunted to death
September 13, 2018 03:48PM
schools and parks have been hunted very hard... no so much with yards
September 13, 2018 03:52PM
When i used to dirt hunt i hit a lot of old homes and old neighborhoods. Yep lots to find there...... but if you have a 100 year old home...... theres a 100 years of trash that very based on things that change........ like brass roof nails or plumbing items and iron. Plus...... a lot of ole homes got built onto...... they normally moved to the dirt to the yard so some of that suff is way down there. BUT...... there is some real surprises it just takes willness to work it. What i found to be some interesting places to hunt were spots where old rail road stops were...... many long gone and they seemed to be everywhere near small towns.. Also old maps where roads had changed where homes now end up in the field...... no new trash there. amazing how much horse stuff you find. Old school houses....... which if you look on old maps were like a 4 mile radious so kids could get there. Just need to understand...... not a lot of old money were given to the kids.......but you get some nice toys and such. Old atlas showing buildings can be a wealth of info.

Dew
September 13, 2018 04:07PM
Think about it....if someone asked to hunt your yard would you let them....????

Takes a lot of moxy to ask...but some do very well so whatever works.....

Have fun golfing my friend...
September 13, 2018 04:29PM
Some people have the charisma that makes other people like them. My uncle was that way...he got us on some crazy sites. He was fearless when it came to permission. He'd pull in a driveway to a house and not only get permission to detect it, but within just a few minutes of talking, have the owners offering him lunch, drinks, the whole nine yards. He was just that way. Compliment them on their garden and next thing we know, they are bringing him bags of fresh squash, corn on the cob, maters, etc. Me...I ain't so lucky. It use to be easier than it is now but there's still a lot of undetected places...yards being a big source of them. There's one old house with a really small yard. I did a video there when I first got the Equinox and found a few silver dimes that day...well that yard has given up probably 50+ wheat cents and 20-30 silver coins. And the yards are super small. That reminds me...I need to hit that with the 6" coil and the 7" Multi Kruzer.
September 13, 2018 05:25PM
I wonder if The owners are O.K. with Him keeping all finds or does He split it with them? It would be fun to hunt a virgin yard even if You had to give up the finds though. Most would still most likely let You keep a couple. The way the hobby is going with public sites door knocking is probably going to be the last frontier.
September 13, 2018 06:05PM
sonny(IN) Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> my point is most parks and schools have been hunted very very hard. The yards have not been hunted as hard as park. He has bound silver 3 inches. They are mostly virgin territory. Find a virgin park or school!

I thought your point was obvious thumbs down

Does your friend post his finds? Good on him for tapping into a mostly untapped resource!
September 13, 2018 06:21PM
On my door knocking permissions, I agree on the front end what to do with the finds. I usually set the terms first, offering to turn over anything that seems like it has a significant tie to the property, and I offer to let them pick something out of the finds.

I only ran into trouble once with that method, where an older guy wanted everything after the fact even though we agreed up front. Luckily it was only some wheats and whatzits, nothing too groundbreaking. Besides him, most people are more curious than anything.

Harold,ILL. Wrote:
> I wonder if The owners are O.K. with Him keeping a
> ll finds or does He split it with them? It would b
> e fun to hunt a virgin yard even if You had to giv
> e up the finds though. Most would still most likel
> y let You keep a couple. The way the hobby is goin
> g with public sites door knocking is probably goin
> g to be the last frontier.
September 13, 2018 07:51PM
My primary focus on hunting these days it's private yards, I get a yes 9 out of 10 times. I keep it very simple and to the point, I introduce myself and and simply ask him if I can have permission to run my metal detector in their yard. Once in a blue moon the owner will ask to see what I found, but rarely do they ask for anything. If they ask me what I'm looking for, I tell em I'm looking for coins, token, toys etc. I started door-knocking back in the 80s and found some of my best stuff in private yards. Some of them produce very well, others not so great. The way I look at it the worst that can happen is they say no, on the other hand I get a potential for a great hunt. People are more open to the idea than you would really think. Nothing ventured, nothing gained, that's my motto. If and when I get a no, I simply move on to the next house.
September 14, 2018 02:25AM
Door knocking.
It depends on things like. Have they been asked before? If so what was their experience with the person(s) detecting.
Or maybe they have never been asked.
Maybe a smart ass has asked them in the past, and turned them off to future detectorists period.

Some folks can be prejudice towards all of any group based on just one bad experience from said group.

Some folks who are asked just very generous.
Some folks ask are nice folks,
Some folks asked are not very nice.
Some folks don’t trust any stranger in their yard period,

A person asking appearance could play a part depending,

A person asking accent could play a part.

A person asking age could play a part.

A person asking, the vehicle they drive could play a part.
A person asking, the condition of their vehicle could play a part.

A person asking, who they are accompanied by could play a part.

A person asking clothing could play a part.

A person asking, if they have visible tattoos could play a part.

The actual county or state of the askers vehicle license plates could play a part.

The askers figure could play a part. A 36-24-36 might not get turned away if male is asked.

The marital status of the person being asked could play a part.

And many more things that could cause a person to get a Yes you can detect, or no you CAN’T.
September 14, 2018 03:17AM
No offense Sonny but...duh.
September 14, 2018 03:17AM
he must look like "trump" without the demeanor!..anyway,if he is
good at accessing private property,he don't need an at pro! can clean everything out with a tesoro compadre,($160.000,or a tesoro mojave ($251.00) and save a lot of money!.i'm just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.
September 14, 2018 03:19AM
easy!.don't eat the meat,just the pudding!
(h.h.!)
j.t.
September 14, 2018 03:20AM
good luck with that!

(h.h.!)
j.t.
September 14, 2018 12:09PM
For seasoned and skilled hunters it’s about going to a difficult place and finding that one coin that 100 other hunters missed. Door knocking to amass coins seems a little flimsy to me. Besides,there are too many “stipulations” with private property,unless they’re wide open fields and forest where you’re not going to be constantly scrutinized. My attitude in the future might change on this,but probably not. A “true hunter” hunts not because it is easy,but because it is hard...
September 14, 2018 12:35PM
Your dictionary and my dictionary have totally different definitions to "true hunter", hahahaha. Why work over the same tired beat up sites when you can hunt fresh sites? There is no badge of honor IMO on working 100X harder for a find.

Just like traditional hunting, you never see anyone turning down hunting private property over state land. Or else Craigslist wouldn't be full of posts this time of year of people looking to pay to hunt on private land.

IDXMonster Wrote:
> For seasoned and skilled hunters it’s about going
> to a difficult place and finding that one coin tha
> t 100 other hunters missed. Door knocking to amass
> coins seems a little flimsy to me. Besides,there a
> re too many “stipulations” with private property,u
> nless they’re wide open fields and forest where yo
> u’re not going to be constantly scrutinized. My at
> titude in the future might change on this,but prob
> ably not. A “true hunter” hunts not because it is
> easy,but because it is hard...
September 14, 2018 01:44PM
In response to your PM Sonny, sorry you were offended.

But I was surprised it took you over 50 years of detecting to finally figure out something that seems so self-evident.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/2018 01:47PM by marcomo.
September 14, 2018 04:27PM
Work smarter, not harder. If I was hunting for food I would go to a place that had the most abundance, use less energy, better pickens.
September 14, 2018 04:35PM
People that hunt mostly parks and the such have not figured it out. I am one as I hardly knock on doors. Seeing my buddy has really impressed me as he has found more finds than most. Especially new to the hobby. I am heading to a park later today. Hope I am first to hunt it. Lol
September 14, 2018 06:03PM
Dan(NM) Wrote:
> .... Once in a blu
> e moon the owner will ask to see what I found, but
> rarely do they ask for anything....

When I first started detecting in the mid 1970s to early 1980s, I used to do yards all the time. Knocking on doors, entreating them with my "pitch", etc....

And I would always say something like "You're welcome to anything I find". But you're right: Almost never would they actually take or want anything I found. Once in awhile someone would be curious, but .... I can only think of one or two times that someone actually took or wanted anything I found.

And if I anticipated that I would actually be showing the person the finds, I would be sure to pull whatever it is I wanted (a key date coin, or a trade token), etc.... to the side. And then if/when it came time for a split, I would tell them something like "This is one date or token I don't have. Can I keep this one, and all these other wheaties/buffalo/merc, are yours. Ok ?" And I don't ever recall anyone denying me to keep the one I had carefully chosen to keep. I suppose, if a person was really wanting to be creative, they could, of course, put any singular certain select coin in "their other pocket".
September 17, 2018 03:33PM
Interesting topic. I have about 15 hours hunting this month of nothing found of any significance. Same spots that have produced, new locations, demos ect...
Thinking maybe the answer is selling off all my Minelab gear and going with a good Fisher model like the F75 or CZ.

I know it will be another steep learning curve, but maybe the best way to go when sites aren't paying off as before, is to try another brand machine. It is very possible another brand detector swung over those old locations may yield more goods worth keeping??

I don't know for sure.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2018 03:35PM by SilverPeter.
September 17, 2018 05:16PM
I used to hunt yards back when I was just starting out but gave it up. Too much aggravation and stress. Door knocking. People watching you while you hunt. Kids following you around. Skunks coming at night to open your nicely filled holes. No thanks. I detect to relax.

September 17, 2018 07:04PM
LOTS of yards are still full of silver if that's your thing...It mostly 20th century silver but still silver..

Ive hunted yards or shall I say I used to hunt yards heavily in the local towns around me..once your in one on a street you can usually get into the next one..And the amount of silver in say 1890 to 1940s build period houses is quite astonishing if your there first and especially if you have a good ID system...The Sovereign is my yard machine no need to look further..get a meter on it and you can be very selective..best silver getter I've ever had in trash for cherry picking.

the way I get into yards is give the person something up front...if they say no I still give it to them and that's usually changes the no if it don't leave your name and number they usually call later..if not well hey no biggie Ill go next door..they may even move off eventually...Ive worked whole blocks of town before slowly but surely and not missed many yards.Even yards with historical markers in them.Even plantation homes that are draw jobbing beautiful straight out of gone with the wind..

What do I give them??I make up 4x6 Riker cases..buy in bulk there cheaper..you know the ones vinyl coated cardboard with glass face, stick pins holding top to bottom..Put things in them you've dug like costume jewlery,,dirty pennys,crusty nickles,minnie ball,,buttons or two of civilian style brass do hickeys etc...leave them dirty and uncleaned they love it..tell them this is what your looking for to let them get a sense of your aim...

When you knock on the door step back a few feet when they come to door and dotn beat around the bush just tell them Ive been next door etc looking for Coins/relics like this then hand them the box to see and as they take it say id like to give this to you ..then say Id like to do the same hear on your property and wont make any noticeable signs of holes in your yard...The see what they say..then you can sort of have a conversation once its out in the open..the biggest thing is to have a name of a neighbor or someone KNOWN in that locale that has let you do this on there property..you'll be surprised how many people especially now a days who buy older antique homes want to see whats on their property...They can be quite fascinated and if they are im a pushover to talk and talk and talk and give them plenty of my finds to aide in the excitement..Heck that's part of the fun is teaching others about the past and seeing there face light up..

Some places Ive even went inside and toured their houses and viewed the antiques drank lemonade's teas etc on the front porches with them for hours talking..Ive even done choirs for widowed or unmarried women etc at times fixing gutters..hanging curtains..removing rodent's whatever...same as anyone would do for their neighbor type stuff...

Basically just be your self...you wont be a stranger long if you like to talk and once you get KNOWN in the area pretty much anywhere is huntable..Around here lots of people know I detect and they will even see me at the store hey when you going to come hunt my property or my brothers or I saw you over at so and so last week on side of road find anything.etc.. .the more people know you the less there suspicious of you..we look weird staring at the ground and digging holes on our knees...so don't act weird too.LOL.

New places to hunt and inaccessible spots is all about networking.

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
September 18, 2018 07:17AM
SilverPeter Wrote:
> Interesting topic. I have about 15 hours hunting t
> his month of nothing found of any significance. Sa
> me spots that have produced, new locations, demos
> ect...
> Thinking maybe the answer is selling off all my Mi
> nelab gear and going with a good Fisher model like
> the F75 or CZ.
>
> I know it will be another steep learning curve, bu
> t maybe the best way to go when sites aren't payin
> g off as before, is to try another brand machine.
> It is very possible another brand detector swung o
> ver those old locations may yield more goods worth
> keeping??
>
> I don't know for sure.

the 'real" answer is "no!"..BUT it may make you think it will make a difference!..as the french say: it's an "event phsycological"

(h.h.!)
j.t.