Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Nasa Tom please tell me what you think about this test?

Posted by Lawrenzo 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Nasa Tom please tell me what you think about this test?
May 11, 2007 03:17AM
Hi Guys
Thank you all for your response for the video to see the iron see through test.
We have been inundated with requests, so we decided to put in on You Tube, so anyone who wants to view it should go to www.youtube.com then type in iron see through. Look for the tag iron see through, im under the name of heatdetector, sounds odd but red heat had already been taken.
Lets hear your feed back.
Regards
Vic
Re: Nasa Tom please tell me what you think about this test?
May 12, 2007 10:44AM
That 8 minute video is absolutely exacting, 100% correct, no trick-photography; HOWEVER, most detectors can perform this function as long as they have an analog and/or iron adjustable Discrim. .... and preferably has High Resolution Iron Discrimination. The F-75 has adjustable iron Discrim..... and the T-2 has High Resolution Iron Discrim. The F-75's iron range is VDI = 00 - 15. The T-2's iron range is VDI = 00 - 40. Fortunately,,,, on the F-75...... a iron Disc setting of '6' is equiv to a iron Disc setting of approx '20' on the T-2. ((( A F-75 Disc of '7' is equiv of approx Disc '24' on the T-2.... which is TOO much iron disc for 'unmasking' operations ))).

CRITICAL lessons to be learned from this video. I'll use the T-2 for ease of understanding & explanation........ remembering that anything reading up to '40' on the VDI of the T-2 is considered 'ferrous/iron' on the T-2. Let's look at the plyers example. Let's say the iron plyers will give you a VDI reading of.... say; '27' on the T-2. Sooooo..... you place Disc on the T-2 to a setting of '27'. Now you test the half-dollar and generate a VDI reading of '91' on the T-2. The plyers has MUCH greater mass then a half-dollar. But now,,, you compress (electrically connect/ground) the half-dollar to the plyers and wave it in front of the T-2's coil. The COMPOSITE reading of the 2 targets may now generate a VDI reading of.... say; '29'....... which is just above the Disc setting of '27'..... and now the detector audibly reports the 'magic'. Replacing the half-dollar with a U.S. dime..... and now the composite reading of the plyers and dime may VDI read '28'..... and the detector reports "target above Discrim setting". ---Keep in mind that the plyers has MUCH greater mass over a U.S. dime; hence, the VDI reading does not climb very much when the two targets are grounded together. It does not matter if the coin is in front.... or behind the plyers,,,,, as long as the two objects are touching each other. And it's a guarantee that the detector in the video did NOT ID the composite targets as; "coin".
THE REAL TEST WOULD BE TO HOLD A SLIGHT AIR-GAP (less than 1") BETWEEN THE TWO TARGETS..... and wave them in front of the coil. No detector will succeed in detecting the coin. 3D seperation/displacement of 2 objects is a entirely different world of results. And in the real world.... most masked targets ARE NOT electrically grounded (touching) each other.

Now........... the video demonstration using the iron (small) cannon ball. The CRITICAL thing to witness here is: ... the requirement to RE-adjust the iron Disc setting,,,,,...... then (and only then) can the rest of the test/demo be performed as described above.....,,,,, having identical performance results. When hunting in the real world....... you can not keep RE-adjusting the Disc setting for each scenario in the dirt,,,,,, as you have no idea of what specific scenario is under the coil at any given moment. FORTUNATELY; most places we detect..... there are not thousands of plyers and other large iron objects in the dirt; HOWEVER, there are thousands of nails........ which can be easily "hair-split" Disc'd out,,,,,,,,........ allowing you the ability to somewhat 'unmask' good targets out of the iron.

This video does reinforce the requirement and the CRITICALITY of having a Disc setting of '6' on the F-75..... and a Disc setting of '21' on the T-2... in nail infested sites.

Sincerely,

Tom
May 13, 2007 03:13AM
Thanks Tom so the F75 & T2 with two targets one being iorn or a pull tab or trash will lower the reading if the targets are touching and no gaps? That is why it is best to set on the F75 a disc of say 6 and dig every good tone you get and not really always look at the numbers.
May 14, 2007 09:05PM
Digging every 'good' tone that reports above a Disc setting of '6' is not practical in many cases..... unless you are in a very old area where you are relic hunting. ......... Also,,,, a coin that is not touching a nail...but is somewhat masked by the nail,,,,, will "up-average" the ID in many cases.

Tom
May 16, 2010 06:43PM
nasa tom how is the 1270 at unmasking
May 16, 2010 11:03PM
Fairly good..........but does not compare to the abilities of the DD-coil equipped T2/F75.
May 17, 2010 01:10AM
I couldn't help but notice that the test objects were still reporting a signal as they were placed and moved on the table behind the coil. Wouldn't their presence there effect the test results since they are still in the coil field even though they weren't being moved? Just trying to learn. Thanks.
May 17, 2010 03:18AM
Guess that about uncovers the magic of 'See through iron technology'. Great explanation Tom.
Jeb
May 17, 2010 07:53AM
How would you think the MXT fares in the same test Tom ?
May 18, 2010 02:11AM
A MXT with a Disc setting of '2.1' ...... and it'll do the unmasking trick. All other rules still apply.
Jeb
May 18, 2010 12:52PM
thanx for replying Tom .