Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Equinox 800 - Tone Volume vs Discrimination

Posted by Matt in IL 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Equinox 800 - Tone Volume vs Discrimination
September 25, 2018 09:48PM
Hey there,

I have question I am hoping someone with some experience with the Equinox 800 can answer for me. I recently added an Equinox 800 to the rotation, and have been thinking how to set it up for a couple specific locations that are kind of tricky.

In regards to Tone Volume, have you ever turned the volume down to "0" for specific tone region(s) running wide open instead of using disc? Does this offer any noticeable improvement when running a slower recovery speed with nulling/masking or depth?

Appreciate any comments.

Thanks
Re: Equinox 800 - Tone Volume vs Discrimination
September 25, 2018 10:20PM
Very good question. It makes you wonder why they would even bother to have discrimination if all you have to do is turn down the volume on certain targets. The only reason I can think of would be to provide nulling when something is discriminated.

So the question is, does turning the tone volume down or off affect depth as much as discrimination does? I would venture to guess that volume has no affect at all on performance.

I always run mine wide open with low tones at just a whisper, volume normal on everything else. I either dig everything or discriminate by looking at the numbers. I don't like hearing partial or broken tones.

Edited 25 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2018 05:08AM by Badger in NH.
September 26, 2018 09:23AM
Turning the volume to 0 is disc. Disc is nothing more than controlling what’s heard thru the phones. The machine still sees it all...and hears it like minerals and EMI. The Nox doesn’t seem to have much modulation. Have ever used an explorer where when u turn the gain down u get modulation based on a targets depth and size. The Nox seems to run all targets the same volume ...unless you reduce that. Its great for picking thru trash because even small targets get heard that might other wise get filtered out. BUT..... sometimes high gain on targets creates a lot of noise from unwanted stuff ..... like iron/minerals or even salt. I dont run a threshold...... its just noise, but i do reduce my first bin on iron to 2, which creates somewhat of a threshold when running AM in the water. Reducing volume for water hunting defeats the purpose of hearing those weak targets. Ive played with VOLUME ..... and bin volume....neither seems to really give modulation on the target per sa. Not having a lot of modulation can make it difficult to really size a target as well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2018 09:33AM by dewcon4414.
September 26, 2018 12:45PM
So if volume and disc are the same, are you saying that setting the volume to 0 will cause the threshold to null when passing over that target? I'll have to try that.

I always thought discrimination was some sort of electronic process which is what causes the loss in performance when used.

September 26, 2018 12:57PM
I'm totally speculating here without any basis or background, but I've always believed that any performance hit with discrimination was simply due to the electronics ability to process signals in real time speed. Zero discrimination took all that signal crunching out of the equation, hence better responsiveness.

But that's just my SWAG answer, I'm not an engineer, but I did stay at a holiday inn once. With the Equinox, I haven't noticed a bit of difference discriminating out vs all metal. Every time I run all metal and pick something barely nestled up among all the iron, I flip all metal off and the detector picks it up fine. So, the Equinox is my first detector I run without machine gun audio.

Badger in NH Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So if volume and disc are the same, are you saying
> that setting the volume to 0 will cause the thresh
> old to null when passing over that target? I'll ha
> ve to try that.
>
> I always thought discrimination was some sort of e
> lectronic process which is what causes the loss in
> performance when used.
>
> .
September 26, 2018 04:36PM
Keep in mind the Equinox doesn't have a true all metal mode, when invoking the horse shoe button, it simply un-notches the lower TID segments.
September 26, 2018 05:09PM
What he said. I agree with what Brian just stated from reading and experience. I do seem to remember the assertion that the Gold program was a true 'all metal'. Anyone know if that is true?

Past(or)Tom
Using a Legend, a Deus 2, an Equinox 800, a Tarsacci MDT 8000, & a few others...
with my beloved, fading Corgi, Sadie
September 26, 2018 07:48PM
Gold mode runs very much like an Xcal in PP mode running with a true threshold unlike the other modes.
September 26, 2018 08:28PM
Put the Equinox into prospecting mode to see the full potential and less lag.

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
September 26, 2018 08:30PM
There are options on detectors like notch and discrrimination that I flat out quit using. With the tone and volume adjustment on bins I deal with what I want to hear that way. I loved the ability to set the CTX up on a computer. Seeing the adjustments displayed out in front of you as you set them was fantastic. The information available to the ears was really out of this world. When I hunted with the CTX I actually stopped looking at the screen. Smart screen? Every once in a while when multiple targets were present. But as I gave up dirt hunting and went strictly to beach hunting the tones became less relevant. Three tones are fine. Iron.....low......and high. Save me from the shallow junk. Deep? Even the tones lie. Give me simplicity with performance. Will that keep the cost down? You know what? Deliver both of those and I will pay for it with finds......eventually.

Tone pitch.....bins......VDI numbers.......heck even a screen....... all for those that need to dig holes in dirt.
September 26, 2018 11:45PM
I never cared for notching, and use almost zero discrimination on all my detectors when hunting relic sites. I drop iron audio way down, not silent, but 1 or 2 out of 5 as to eliminate audio fatigue (F75 used to wear me out).
September 27, 2018 01:17AM
On the beach I have been running fatigue volume with no discrimination in order to hear the faint grunt coming off bottle caps. Right now I'm using ear buds so need it to hear over the ambient noise. Just to hot to use full cup headsets.