Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Interesting relic day for sure

Posted by Daniel Tn 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Interesting relic day for sure
October 05, 2018 07:00AM
Spent 3/4 of today down in North Georgia trying for permissions in a new to me area. It is hard catching people at home during the work week and during the day but that's how my work schedule is so you just gotta make due with what you're given. I'm off a couple days during the week instead of the weekends. Anyways...wasted most of the day doing that.

Came back to Tennessee and was driving the road that goes by some of my old spots. I happened to see that one of the fields had just been cut on what USE to be one of my better spots but to say that I've hunted it to death would probably be short of how hard I've actually hunted it. This was the first place I ever got permission to hunt that had Civil War relics on it and Lord knows I've spent many an hour on that place. I swung by the land owners house to see if I could still hunt. I hadn't hunted this particular property since 2010 or 2011. It had simply quit producing. A lot has changed in the area since 2010 and most of it has been a renewed interest in Civil War relics...and that means, land owners being bombarded by relic hunters seeking permission and trespassing. This place was no exception...and at first, they told me no that they were sorry to say I couldn't hunt any more and stated the previous mentioned reason as to why. I played my puppy dog eyes card though and was able to get me back on there for one more time anyway. I kinda figured it would probably be the last time and I was going to make the most of it.

It was just me and a friend of mine. Between us, we had 4 detectors. He had the GPX and an Equinox 800. I had the Multi Kruzer and Equinox 600.

He started with his GPX and quickly retired it to the truck. The spot we hit was loaded with iron and pulse machines just null and drive you crazy in that kind of situation. Now...he is a newbie with the Nox. I set him up with how I was running my 600 and he went off in one direction and I stayed put in the iron. I started with a button, and then a few pieces of camp lead (melted lead) and a drop 3 ringer. My buddy came back over to ask me a question about the Nox and I happened to be walking and got a loud 15 signal. Looked down and a 52 cal Sharps bullet was laying right on top of the ground.

He stuck with me for a while and then was off to greener pastures again. I've tried telling him to slow down and stick to a spot if its producing but he only seems to let it stick for about a 10 minute attention span and then he is gone. He zig and zagged over a 30 acre field while I stayed in a spot the size of a medium sized house. He found two pieces of camp lead. I found everything in the picture.

Civil War by Daniel Teague, on Flickr

A few take aways from this hunt.

1. His Nox was acting totally different than mine was....even with the same pattern and basic settings. His machine falses A LOT. Mine only did it in the heaviest of the iron...his did it all the time...if he bumped the coil, it would false. He was growing frustrated with it. I looked his settings over again and could not find anything wrong with how it was setup. Now that I think about it, I wonder if his coil is bad. I fired up the Multi Kruzer for him...put it in 19 khz so he could pick stuff out of the iron.

2. On that note...we got to compare signals to a degree when he was close enough to call him over. What I noticed on several targets was that the Kruzer did not like something about the soil we were in, or we somehow enabled auto tracking that was tuning out the signals. We would get a GOOD signal on the initial first pass over a target, and maybe the second time...but then it would start to sound broken up, chopped off, until it simply disappeared. Very odd for sure. A couple of those were buttons too and nothing was deep.
Re: Interesting relic day for sure
October 05, 2018 07:19AM
Daniel------Did you & your friend both have the update (upgrade) installed on your Equinox detectors?
October 05, 2018 11:23AM
The friend may have gotten one of those"cold" units??
October 05, 2018 11:40AM
Daniel I live here in North Georgia and getting permissions is hard now a days. Between the copper thiefs and meth heads most people have lost trust in people. You bout have to know someone to get permission. All of my relic sites have been taken over by the local authority and turned Civil War sites into parks and what not.
October 05, 2018 11:41AM
In general I've been reading on multiple forums and Facebook groups about issues that people have been having with the Equinox pre-and-post update that I've never seen a blip of. Such as:

- EMI issues. I can run with my cell phone on, next to a power substation, 3 blocks from NSA's magic orb that drives my F75 down to sensitivity 10, and get the Equinox stable at 20-21 sensitivity. Everywhere else I run it at 23-24 with no issues.

- Falsing. I've been falsed out only a handful of times..heavy iron included. I've only ever run Iron Bias at 2 for the heaviest sites, but usually 1.

- Depth. I'm constantly reading posts from people in both good and bad soil getting a max of 4-6 inches depth. I haven't seen that at all.

I'm sure some can be chocked up to user error, but some have to be an issue with machine. Some say they have it after the update, some have had it before and after. Whatever is going on, I'm glad I don't have it.
October 05, 2018 11:49AM
I don't have any of those issues either. Congrats on the hunt..
October 05, 2018 03:55PM
His 800 has not been updated. My 600 has been. But...my 600 never falsed like that before the update either. I think there is something wrong with his. He has left it in the trunk of his car from May til day before yesterday when he got it out to charge it so it has spent all summer outside in a smoldering hot car trunk. I'm sure that probably ain't good on them. My 600 was stable before the update and still is after. The Multi Kruzer was noisy in the thickest iron too...I did video of this hunt too but it always takes me forever to put them together and upload.

88 -- That is what we ran into with a couple of spots as well down there in GA. They have turned them into state owned parks with rules posted against detectingI drove all the way to Resaca to try for permission in an area...only to find it had been put into the Civil War battlefield trust land a few years ago. Scratched that idea and went to my backup plan which was Dalton area and ran into similar things there. It is the same way up here now with landowners though. You either have to know them or have something they want that you can trade for hunts.
October 05, 2018 04:20PM
Nice digs there Daniel!

Would be interesting for you guys to swap coils and see if he just has a bad coil?

HH,
Cal
October 06, 2018 12:27AM
Nice Digs.!!

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
October 07, 2018 02:53AM
Nice hunting , Daniel!

Dean