Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

ON THE HORIZON = MDT-8000

Posted by NASA-Tom 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: ON THE HORIZON
October 15, 2018 04:11AM
Sure would be nice if there was a video to compare this unit to the Manta.
October 15, 2018 04:22AM
Patience Butterfly. When (and if) both machines are actually offered for sale, there will no doubt be videos galore.

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold
October 15, 2018 10:17AM
I see these machines offering two different options. Some people clearly dont want to dig small stuff.... and wants to quickly be able to ID targets and move on. One is water proof the other doesnt seem to be. So we are looking at wet sand and shallow water....because there should be better choices for dry sand. Now..... how complicated with both these machines be to operate? How efficient will they be IN the water during recent drop times........ or will they do clean up in the winter or when we have a lot of sanded in condition? Both these machines is going to take some thought with their price tags. Out of the water is one thing....... BUT a lot changes once you put that coil in the salt water. Would the larger coil on the Nox be just as good a choice? We dont know.
October 15, 2018 02:20PM
Dew...… I meant to answer one of your old questions;

The headphone pigtail (that allows you to plug in any headphone of your choice...…. should you choose not to use the waterproof headphones)….. is about 4" long. The end that connects to the detector housing is indeed IP-68. BUT..... the other end that you plug in your 1/8" stereo jack headphones ….. is not waterproof. I'm not sure there are any 1/8" stereo female jacks that are waterproof. Now.... you can flood the female stereo jack..... and use a Q-tip to clean/dry it out..... and nothing will be harmed. Just like on the EQX..... if you get water in the 1/8" stereo jack...….you've hurt nothing..... just use a Q-tip to clean/dry it out.
October 15, 2018 06:30PM
So Tom.... is it possible to Chang that pig tail out to a 4 pin M12 connector that’s being used on the CTX? There are also connectors we use to swap coils on the Xcal. Sounds like better choices sing if we can get the machine wet to have waterproof headphones. Am I understanding correctly then if the box should flood it’s covered under warranty?
October 16, 2018 01:23AM
Some of these finite (but important) details are being discussed..... as we speak.
October 16, 2018 10:27AM
Getting it wet out deeper for my hunting is a selling point........ like Xcal over a Sov. Most us us rarely remove our water phones, but most of us dont like hard wired phones either for obvious reasons.
October 16, 2018 12:08PM
This thing should be 6 pages by now LOL we need a Picture to jump this thread.
October 16, 2018 12:32PM
Maybe the intense plasma field surrounding the coil causes the camera to 'fog up' , so no pics ....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/16/2018 09:02PM by Pimento.
October 16, 2018 03:50PM
Dont keep this thing to yourself Tom..... show us that baby. Oh.... put some gold with it thumbs down.
October 16, 2018 07:07PM
Tom will this detector have comparable depth to a GPX? I'm a relic Hunter & would love something lighter than my GPX. Oh & discrimination to boot.
October 16, 2018 08:27PM
Sounds like Sonar, All Metal and VDI, everything on the faceplate, mixed audio, decent wired headphones.

Very interested!

HH
Johnb
October 16, 2018 09:24PM
I think Tom said he had waterproof phone...but not included to reduce price of machine.
October 17, 2018 02:10AM
Yes..... you can get a set of waterproof headphones with this unit.
Now...... we are thinking of (M12) different option(s).... to suit many peoples individualized/personalized needs....... such as..... providing a headphone coil-cord IP68 headphone connector for connecting to the control unit...... and a longer wire .... so as to get the 1/8" stereo-jack up to headphone height. Most water hunters do not hunt in the water....with their head submerged. So...... if we can keep the non-waterproof portion of the headphone jack OUT of the water...... this should help.

Digger70pa...... I have not performed a head-to-head of this unit.... to a GPX (or GPZ).
October 17, 2018 04:22AM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yes..... you can get a set of waterproof headphones with this unit.
> Now...... we are thinking of (M12) different option(s).... to suit many peoples individualized/personalized needs....... such as..... providing a head
> phone coil-cord IP68 headphone connector for connecting to the control unit...... and a longer wire.... so as to get the 1/8" stereo-jack up to headphone height. Most water hunters do not hunt in the
> water....with their head submerged. So...... if we can keep the non-waterproof portion of the headphone jack OUT of the water...... this should help.

Tom it sounds like there's currently a race to market between your new unit and the Manta.

It sounds like you're pretty familiar with the Manta (if not intimately familiar), how does the Manta and (name unknown) PI machine you're working on compare?

What differentiates one from the other?

If a guy could only have one, if you were impartial to the two, which would you select, and why?

Never thought I'd be interested in a PI, but ..... hard to argue with new, ground breaking technology that brings home the goods thumbs down
October 17, 2018 03:48PM
Cal_cobra Wrote:
Never thought I'd be interested in a PI, but ..... hard to argue with new, ground breaking technology that brings home the goods .

Hey Brian now you can get one and take the wife and your new daughter to the beach for some nice outings that will keep mom and baby happy.

El
October 17, 2018 06:24PM
Cal........ i dont think Toms machine is a PI. I believe its a VLF with the ability to use several single freqs

I can see the pig tail having an M12 connector....... many of us have a M12s already on our headphone cables.... and our phones are waterproof. You are using a 1/8 instead of a 1/4 jack like ML did on the Nox? If i understand you correctly....... those of us with M12s already on out phones cables will be able to plug directly in without the use of your added cable?
October 17, 2018 07:51PM
Elbert Wrote:
> Cal_cobra Wrote:
> Never thought I'd be interested in a PI, but ..... hard to argue with new, ground breaking technology that brings home the goods .
>
> Hey Brian now you can get one and take the wife and your new daughter to the beach for some nice outings that will keep mom and baby happy.
>
> El

Hi El! Yes that would be great, clean out HMB (if GTHunter hasn't already, not sure what part of Cali he's from) and let the wife and baby play in the sand, would make for some great outings smileys with beer
October 17, 2018 07:54PM
dewcon4414 Wrote:
> Cal........ i dont think Toms machine is a PI. I believe its a VLF with the ability to use several single freqs

Tom said " It is not quite a VLF..... and it's not quite a PI"

So it seems to be a hybrid machine, which is something we've discussed here in the past as a viable option, so maybe they actually did it. Either way, it's going to compete with the Manta, so I'd still be curious if Tom D. can answer my questions.
October 18, 2018 12:03AM
I have tested both of the Manta proto's….. over a year ago. This is GEN-1 Manta's. Then I demonstrated my (highly modified) AquaStar-II to/with Carl..... in my test-garden. Carl then commandeered my AquaStar-II (for a year)…… due to some of my implemented modifications. You can bet Carl and Alexandre have NOT been sleeping. A few of the performance parameters of the AquaStar exemplified 'merit'. Since then..... I believe the Manta is at GEN-3 level...… of which I have not tested. I'd be willing to wager …. the GEN-3 is markedly improved/different from the GEN-1's that I tested. BUT..... because I have not tested the latest rendition …. I am reluctant to speculate its performance levels.

However..... I feel I can say this: The AQUAmanta is specifically targeting the wet-salt beach..... and specifically for low-conductive gold. Yes..... there will most-probably be a dirt-manta: TERRAmanta. . . . in the future. The Manta is a PI-based platform..... which (inherently) is going to handle wet-salt and bad mineralization much better than VLF-based platform(s). Typical with PI's.... is the fact that (especially if they are designed to be more specifically resonant to low-conductive gold) ….. they will be 'hot' on Fe iron. This is a worthwhile trade-off for the wet-salt..... once the language is learned. I also speculate the discrimination capabilities of the Manta....will be "PI-crude"; yet, effective. ((( Read: usable ))).

The new MD8000 Tarsacci is neither VLF or PI. It is a Multi Domain based platform. It is certainly the trump-card over the GEN-1 Manta. However; The GEN-3 Manta might create a game-changer...… with a twist......and potentially imposed stipulations.....and attributes. Brian...… it is hard for me to answer your question..... under a unique/unsuspecting premise. The Tarsacci has full conductive-spectrum ID. The Manta does not. The Tarsacci can be used inland..... in mineralized dirt..... and can 'focus' on all non-ferrous spectrum targets..... giving the user a better option to dig/not-dig certain selected non-ferrous targets. ((( It's too early in the game to be able to tell 'what' the TERRAmanta dirt performance.... and not-designed/invented-yet: ID/and/or Discrimination capabilities will be. ))) My philosophy for wet-salt beach hunting is: dig ALL no-ferrous targets.... and even some (conductive high-end of the iron spectrum) iron targets.

The Tarsacci is not my invention/inception; yet, I've had some 'input'.

Let me know if this link works!

[imgur.com]
cdv
October 18, 2018 12:15AM
link works Tom, that is a light detector!

Cliff
October 18, 2018 02:30AM
That company is only 45 min from the old Fisher Lab and 2 hours from the highly mineralized beaches of the Monterey Bay area and only 1.5 hrs. from me. I bet some of the testing was done there

El
October 18, 2018 02:51AM
(Yes)
October 18, 2018 03:28AM
Going to be interesting to see how this one plays out over the winter months.
October 18, 2018 04:33AM
Tom thanks for answering my questions, appreciate the response. The detector looks good, and it looks like it's ready to go thumbs down
October 18, 2018 08:13AM
Exciting times! First the Equinox now the MD8000 and with the Aquamanta on the horizon it's like a kid in a candy store.

The ML team, Alexandre and now Dimitar have given us a new MD'ing world to explore.
October 18, 2018 08:21AM
Nice looking machine. Multi domain operation Who woulda thunk it.

Congrats and a big thanks to Dimitar!
October 18, 2018 11:51AM
Was salt water hunting its design or a benefit? Couple of things i guess ive gotten used to is ..... a straight shaft over the S shaft. Thats preference for balance to me..... but some added the S lower to their Nox. I also kind of like the coil connector more toward the center of the coil. It seems to follow the sand easier and in the water you can get a lot of coil flip causing falsing. In the middle it makes it easier to adjust the coil in the water. One cool looking machine...... so is that whole upper where the battery is water tight? Doesnt seem like there will be much drag on that coil.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/2018 11:58AM by dewcon4414.
October 18, 2018 04:29PM
Jackpine Wrote:
> Nice looking machine. Multi domain operation Who woulda thunk it.
>
> Congrats and a big thanks to Dimitar!

Dimitar was the engineer behind the Coin$tick right? The C$ was my first detector, it was a handful for a newbie for sure! Not many people mastered that detector, it was completely different thinking then anything ever made, but it was deep on round targets, any round targets! Too bad they never refined that detector, a C$ II or something with further advancement/refinement would've been interesting. Sometimes it takes someone with out of the box thinking to make something completely new, but it's not always well received.
October 18, 2018 06:52PM
If this is the unit I am thinking it is, I know of a couple of guys in Santa Cruz who have played with it.