Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

ON THE HORIZON = MDT-8000

Posted by NASA-Tom 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: ON THE HORIZON
October 18, 2018 07:23PM
Cal_cobra Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Jackpine Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Nice looking machine. Multi domain operation Wh
> o woulda thunk it.
> >
> > Congrats and a big thanks to Dimitar!
>
> Dimitar was the engineer behind the Coin$tick righ
> t? The C$ was my first detector, it was a handful
> for a newbie for sure! Not many people mastered t
> hat detector, it was completely different thinking
> then anything ever made, but it was deep on round
> targets, any round targets! Too bad they never re
> fined that detector, a C$ II or something with fur
> ther advancement/refinement would've been interest
> ing. Sometimes it takes someone with out of the b
> ox thinking to make something completely new, but
> it's not always well received.

The C$ was a love it or hate it kind of machine but very aptly named. It took me more than a few hours to understand the relationship of the controls. Having used the Goldstrike really helped though as the Coinstrike manual was poorly written. The G$ manual explained the functions much better and a lot of that was lost in translation to the Coinstrike manual.
October 18, 2018 08:03PM
Patiently waiting to read the operating manual to see if there are any benefits for me.

Have to go back and read through the thread for any mention of EMI susceptibility.

HH
Mike
October 19, 2018 12:00AM
I really like the fact that this new machine has everything up front on the screen available to the eye at any given time, no layered menus! Hurry up and build us prospectors a nugget machine!!!!
October 19, 2018 01:28AM
Dew..... this detector was specifically designed for the wet-salt. Then..... it was confirmed...that is also works well in bad dirt. Yes..... the battery is in the tube under the armcup. In one of the photo's …. you can see the silver-dollar sized screwcap.

A few detectors are ready to ship. What's a little frustrating is...… we're still waiting on a couple of vendors for the ancillaries .,.,.,.,.,., such as: waterproof headphones. The detector is ready...… the options are not. Owners manual is nearly complete.
October 19, 2018 01:54AM
NASA-Tom Wrote:

>
> A few detectors are ready to ship.

How does one order, and how much?
October 19, 2018 02:16AM
Tom, being some units are ready when can we expect some demonstration videos?
October 19, 2018 09:33AM
Tom........ is the manual going to be available for review on line or somewhere before the machine is released? What do you feel the advantage of this machine is to the Manta for us that hunt the wet sand and in the water? Will it be better than the Nox in BOTH those areas? I think our only issue is knowing the PINS on the M12 coming off the machine are the SAME pins used on the CTX. The CTX uses 3 pins.... 1 for one wire and 1 that JUMPS to a second pin. I have an example if you need it Tom. That would be the way to go...... so those using the CTX can just plug in.
October 19, 2018 08:40PM
My 1st post , I got linked to here from Detector Prospector about an upcoming detector .
I trying to get back to prospecting / mining , had about 5 + detectors , had a fire last yr. so starting over , this sounds interesting , so would like to be added to list .
A new place to hang out .
October 19, 2018 10:47PM
The machine appears to be an alternative to the Nox for those NOT wanting to dig smaller gold. Ive done very well with the Nox on high K gold so far. Got a 10K... and 18K (8.6 grams) today. It gets some of the smaller high K gold ...... but maybe lacking on the lower K in the salt water. So is this a better choice? Tom said it does well on gold rings of all sizes. Now to me...... it depends on how fisher prices their machine...... and what it will find... or what you have to dig to find it. If its overpriced .... and just a high powered PI Toms machine really starts looking like a good choice. Not sure we can tell until both are out.
October 20, 2018 12:27AM
Cal_cobra Wrote:
> NASA-Tom Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
>
> >
> > A few detectors are ready to ship.
>
> How does one order, and how much?

2x
October 20, 2018 12:24PM
Hi Tom, thanks again for sharing details and the pics, which I've made hot for everyone. Count me as one who wants waterproof headphones for submersion. I hunt in 2-6ft. of water most times, fully submerged at the beach for about 6-10 hours a pop. If this does better than the Equinox (which is doing better than my old staples: CZ and Excal), then I would definitely be interested. Thanks again!

October 20, 2018 01:22PM
To answer a few questions:

* Owners manual not complete yet. (Maybe 1 more week)

* Will sell them exclusively on this web-site. When they are ready...… I'll have you PM me here. Tell me your intended target/purpose for this unit. Your skillset/level with detecting.....as I am initially targeting experienced hunters. Tell me what type of headphone jack you would like. Type me your mailing address TWICE. Pay via PayPal only (at first).

* Elbert...… I'm not configured to do videos/YouTubes (yet).

* Cost is targeted at $1539.00

And...…. come to think of it...….. some folks (out West) have already seen/witnessed this unit in use. You (now) can speak freely about it. Good/bad/otherwise. Just...…. total honesty.... is the only requirement.
October 20, 2018 02:03PM
Not many troughs lately in this area so wet sand has been about all that's available. The EQ 800 has found mostly 10k in the wet for me this year with earrings and class rings. All small but heavy for their sizes so that may have helped in locating.
With hunting only wet sand beaches these days and one of the hardest hunted beaches around this may be the edge I could use. 9 out of 10 hunters I encounter are using an Equinox though not all correctly. lol

Concern is skillset/level of experience on this site. Sure that puts me way down the line with the MD Masters that frequent this site. lol
Dying to hear the tones it makes. Sounds like it may be like a sonar ping but with nuances. Always had a thing for Fishers so good to hear the Manta is coming. Time to start Saving Up!
October 20, 2018 04:08PM
Is this me or some people are confusing this machine with the fisher manta ?
btw this machine will be obviously the one that get on the "market" first, if you decide to make video with your smartphone for exemple i will gladly put it on my youtube channel.
Feel free to pm me for details.
Im like a lot of people willing to put this cash only after a good bunch of review and video obvsiously one of my prefered review source is youtube. If this machine offer better performance than the eqx800 its a no brainer.
October 20, 2018 04:19PM
I am a little confused with the ground balance procedure, ie balance it in the dry and walk down to the wet and adjust??? What if there is no dry sand on the beach, what do you do then?
October 20, 2018 05:58PM
Tom may not be allowed to compare it to the Nox....he did use the Xcal. However....air testing the CTX is deeper as is the Nox on most gold. Both of them by inches as well. Its never a good thing to GB in wet SALT sand I believe that’s why.
October 20, 2018 11:41PM
If it is not significantly deeper than FBS/BBS - of which CTX and Nox are variants, then I’m sure Tom would not be involved.

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold
October 20, 2018 11:55PM
Tom never used the term significant....he said inches deeper than the Xcal. I mearly stated so is the CTX and Nox in air tests. I also said air test because that can change once these machines hit the water. All good Rick..... we are just dealing with an unknown....... the term inches deeper.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/21/2018 10:25AM by dewcon4414.
October 21, 2018 12:21AM
You’re right Dew.

Misremembering is bad!

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold
October 24, 2018 08:30AM
I have the feeling the biggest opponent of the mdt8000 is the eqx800.
how does it perform against it on wet beach ?
You are talking about mineralised dirt and wet sand but what about regular ground , can you use it here ?
How is the target separation compared to an eqx800 or deus ?
Is the disc and the target recognition comparable to a sovereign or more to an eqx800 (is there iron masking feature ?)

Is the builder of the machine planning to make some video or live hunt with it, when ?

Thanks in advance.
October 24, 2018 09:47AM
Tom....... have you considered using a threaded mono jack that would match the Nox waterproof headphone jack? For those of you wanting the M12 (CTX connector) im i not correct Tom they would have to buy your phones....... or know which pins are being used so they matched the M12 on say your CTX phones? I think this is great you are customizing the machine. For those of you who order one...... i look forward to details and maybe some utube videos. Im still looking for sensitivity to small gold. We have so much sand pushed in..... im not sure depth per sa on rings will help me much.
October 26, 2018 05:38AM
Since Tom has said it's okay to discuss...
By chance, I met the maker, Mr. Gargov, last November at my local beach and we spent about an hour comparing the MDT 8000 to my Excal II in wet to ankle deep water. Every target we tried it hit deeper and harder, though not easy to say how wide a margin but certainly a clear one. I lack NASA Tom's micrometer depth gauging skill. Oh, I just remembered that he would then lift his coil 3 or 4 inches before it's signal dropped off! It has been 11 months since we did this.

Tuesday he called and we are set to meet again this Saturday. I will have my trusty Equinox 800 there to compare. I'll let ya'all know how it goes.

Past(or)Tom
Using a Legend, a Deus 2, an Equinox 800, a Tarsacci MDT 8000, & a few others...
with my beloved, fading Corgi, Sadie
cdv
October 26, 2018 09:14AM
Pasttom, can't wait to hear the results from the side by side with the Equinox.

Cliff
October 26, 2018 09:41AM
thanks ! i will be happy too to hear the results !
October 26, 2018 10:49AM
This should be interesting........ please provide your settings as well. We really just dont know much about the machine.... like example of what it will find, warranty, who does the repairs..... and are they going to be pricy? I had a AquaSound...... $500 for a coil..... $400 just to change the batteries.....oh and the cost new was over $3000. How many coils are going to be offered...sounds like they will have to be customized. So the decision to purchase is a hard call. I have to admit.... having that rare machine not many have..... like Tom and his Foster tuned AquaStar...... could be an edge out there. Im also watching to see just how advertising affects sales here.

Shovel..... your conditions sounds like mine here in Fl. Lots of sand. Maybe without knowing it ..... you are hunting the way i normally do..... for smaller targets. NOW..... what if the Nox was more sensitive to those just a couple more inches down? Always been my point. Tom called this more of a gold ring machine of all sizes....... so im not certain what that ment except it might not hit small gold....... but how small? But Toms always said for the most part when it comes to gold........ we are just ring hunting missing a LOT of smaller gold. So PastTom...... if you have some smaller gold laying around could you do a little test? Small gold isnt every ones bag........ but ive gotten 3 or 4 small gold recently...... added up to about $150. When you aint finding anything else....... hey you get excited..... just like a wheat penny lol.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2018 12:02PM by dewcon4414.
October 26, 2018 07:38PM
Based on the Oct. 20 post from our fearless leader, I believe he is going to sell this unit. I am included in the comment of folks out West as I told Tom last November of my meeting with Mr. Gargov and we spent an hour comparing the detector with my Excal.
If I am in error please correct.

NASA-Tom Wrote:
> To answer a few questions:
>
> * Owners manual not complete yet. (Maybe 1 more week)
> * Will sell them exclusively on this web-site. When they are ready...… I'll have you PM me here. Tell
> me your intended target/purpose for this unit. Your skillset/level with detecting.....as I am
> initially targeting experienced hunters. Tell me what
> type of headphone jack you would like. Type me your mailing address TWICE. Pay via PayPal only (at first).
> * Cost is targeted at $1539.00
>
> And...…. come to think of it...….. some folks (out West) have already seen/witnessed this unit in use
> . You (now) can speak freely about it. Good/bad/otherwise. Just...…. total honesty.... is the only requirement.

Past(or)Tom
Using a Legend, a Deus 2, an Equinox 800, a Tarsacci MDT 8000, & a few others...
October 28, 2018 01:02AM
My hunting buddy, Big Larry and I met with Mr. Gargov and his lovely wife for 3 and a half hours today. He brought 3 of his unique new detectors and we detected the beach for over 2 hours. Then we buried rings and coins and listened to how they hit. Its hard to describe how different his new tech is. It is not perfect, but it is unquestionably a big step in a good, and pioneering direction. It is not for everyone. There is a learning curve and having the creator there to show you how to do things is golden. This is virtually a one man product as Dimitar designed it and oversaw every bit of it's construction. No other company had a hand in modifying an existing detector. The carbon fiber shaft, electronics and assembly are all American, in house produced. Best build quality I've seen. Great battery life, too (new ones are $15 at Amazon!) 20 to 40 hours on a charge. They are like flashlight batteries in line in the handle.* This is among the lightest of detectors, well under 3 lbs. and very well balanced (9x11 double d coil). Reasonably easy to set up, but you need to be able to know what you are doing, it's not a beginners detector at all. I think a solid mid-range user would be able to master it fairly easily. I really want to see the manual. Just as I remembered, it is the deepest unit I've used. We buried rings and coins from 8 to 14 inches in wet mid-mineralized sand and it not only saw them, you could pick up the coil several inches before it lost the target. Larry and I ran our Equinox 800s over the targets barely hearing many and failing to hear the deeper ones at all. If I'd seen this on a YouTube video, I would be skeptical of the credibility. But actually participating in the event, I am impressed.

*correction: actually only one battery but loads like a C-cell flashlight. Quick and easy to carry a fully charged second one and swap out in less than a minute.

Past(or)Tom

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2018 12:32AM by Pasttom.
October 28, 2018 01:36AM
Pasttom Wrote:
> My hunting buddy, Big Larry and I met with Mr. Gar
> gov and his lovely wife for 3 and a half hours tod
> ay. He brought 3 of his unique new detectors and
> we detected the beach for over 2 hours. Then we b
> uried rings and coins and listened to how they hit
> . Its hard to describe how different his new tech
> is. It is not perfect, but it is unquestionably a
> big step in a good, and pioneering direction. It
> is not for everyone. There is a learning curve an
> d having the creator there to show you how to do t
> hings is golden. This is virtually a one man prod
> uct as Dimitar designed it and oversaw every bit o
> f it's construction. No other company had a hand
> in modifying an existing detector. The carbon fib
> er shaft, electronics and assembly are all America
> n, in house produced. Best build quality I've see
> n. Great battery life, too (new ones are $15 at A
> mazon!) 20 to 40 hours on a charge. They are like
> flashlight batteries in line in the handle. This
> is among the lightest of detectors, well under 3 l
> bs. and very well balanced (9x11 double d coil).
> Reasonably easy to set up, but you need to be able
> to know what you are doing, it's not a beginners d
> etector at all. I think a solid mid-range user wo
> uld be able to master it fairly easily. I really
> want to see the manual. Just as I remembered, it
> is the deepest unit I've used. We buried rings an
> d coins from 8 to 14 inches in wet mid-mineralized
> sand and it not only saw them, you could pick up t
> he coil several inches before it lost the target.
> Larry and I ran our Equinox 800s over the targets
> barely hearing many and failing to hear the deeper
> ones at all. If I'd seen this on a YouTube video,
> I would be skeptical of the credibility. But act
> ually participating in the event, I am impressed.

Awesome report Tom! You are down in SLO/Pismo area right?
October 28, 2018 02:25AM
And THAT is "why" I did not want the data to come 'just-from-me'. ((( I could appear to be 'biased'.... due to 'inside status'. ))) Thanks PastTom. Good/correct report.
October 28, 2018 02:37AM
I’m still trying to figure out if this new detector is primarily a beach hunter or is this something
I could use for deep coin hunting in a park scenario?
Does it have decent discrimination and depth modulation.
I have a couple parks where the old coins start at 8 inches but I can’t seem to get past 10” on Dime size coins.
There must be deeper ones I’m missing there.

Bryan