Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

ON THE HORIZON = MDT-8000

Posted by NASA-Tom 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: ON THE HORIZON
November 02, 2018 04:26PM
Just a short note...… the Culpeper 'specific software' is already written. BUT...… most folks don't live in this region; so..... most people don't need this software. There should not be a 'charge' for this Culpeper software change.

Another note; If you are a fairly seasoned detectorist...… the operating procedures will be very easy. If you are a newbie to the hobby; you will not understand it's functions/operating-parameters...… and will not like the hobby.

Yes...… I will provide a pdf digital link to the owners manual.... once complete.
November 02, 2018 08:20PM
Look forward to that manual Tom.
November 07, 2018 01:52PM
Trying to give you guys more data........ here's the link to the Technical Specifications:

[webmail.spectrum.net]
November 07, 2018 01:59PM
Asked me to sign in to webmail?
November 07, 2018 02:14PM
no info there, not a webmail member
November 07, 2018 02:49PM
I think a new DVD on this unit is in order Tom.
Would be cool to see you put it through its paces.
Just sayin,
Drew.
November 07, 2018 03:00PM
Druid Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think a new DVD on this unit is in order Tom.
> Would be cool to see you put it through its paces.
> Just sayin,
> Drew.

+1
November 07, 2018 06:31PM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
> Trying to give you guys more data........ here's t
> he link to the Technical Specifications:
>
> [webmail.spectrum.net]
> ssage/getattachment/uniqueId/25411/account/0/filen
> ameOriginal/Technical%20Specifications%20MDT8000.p
> df/filenameModified/Technical%20Specifications%20M
> DT8000.pdf?folder=INBOX/

it a personnal message we cannot acces it since it on your webmail, you have to download this
Technical%20Specifications%20MDT8000.pdf on your computer and send it here [uploadfiles.io] ( by clicking drop file in or draging your pdf on the square) for exemple and paste the result link here ( ctrl + v )to paste it here or right click paste.
November 07, 2018 06:42PM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
> Another note; If you are a fairly seasoned detectorist...… the operating procedures will be very easy. If you are a newbie to the hobby; you will not
> understand it's functions/operating-parameters...… and will not like the hobby.

I have been trusted with a demo unit to use for a couple weeks- huge thanks to Dimitar and NASA-Tom! I think they may have seen my comment about how I thought I could get
a better idea how well it performed If I had it to use in different settings and on my own. He called and made me an offer I couldn't refuse. My hunting buddy and I have shiny
new units in hand for a couple weeks- no charge, no obligation and no restriction on evaluations. Scratch one biggie off my bucket list!

Well, I guess I am a fairly seasoned detectorist then! I found I could comfortably navigate all the settings and comprehend the readings (without a manual!) after a couple hours.
I did have the advantage of "an expert" showing me (and my hunting buddy) how it works. I, seriously, had more trouble with the Deus and three or four other detectors come to mind.

It is opening up a very closed beach. I hit a stud earring at 4-5 inches in a couple inches of water. I hit a small dog tag at a measured 11 inches in dry sand. I am seeing a higher
percentage of nickels in my clad/change. It does run quiet (has an adjustable threshold) if you can do a reasonably easy ground balance. If it gets noisy, a quick glance at the 999 scale ground balance number, and check that other settings are still good. A couple times (10 hours hunt time) it got noisy and it's has been a shift in Gb and a return to the number set in the dry sand or a reset puts it back to silent running. I have not used the Tracking setting yet, I don't think of it as a beach hunting feature (am I wrong?).

I am sure I'll have more to say in the days ahead!

Past(or)Tom
Using a Legend, a Deus 2, an Equinox 800, a Tarsacci MDT 8000, & a few others...
with my beloved, fading Corgi, Sadie
November 07, 2018 06:50PM
Pasttom Wrote:
> NASA-Tom Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Another note; If you are a fairly seasoned detec
> torist...… the operating procedures will be very e
> asy. If you are a newbie to the hobby; you will no
> t
> > understand it's functions/operating-parameters..
> .… and will not like the hobby.
>
> I have been trusted with a demo unit to use for a
> couple weeks- huge thanks to Dimitar and NASA-Tom!
> I think they may have seen my comment about how I
> thought I could get
> a better idea how well it performed If I had it to
> use in different settings and on my own. He calle
> d and made me an offer I couldn't refuse. My hunt
> ing buddy and I have shiny
> new units in hand for a couple weeks- no charge, n
> o obligation and no restriction on evaluations. S
> cratch one biggie off my bucket list!
>
> Well, I guess I am a fairly seasoned detectorist t
> hen! I found I could comfortably navigate all the
> settings and comprehend the readings (without a ma
> nual!) after a couple hours.
> I did have the advantage of "an expert" showing me
> (and my hunting buddy) how it works. I, seriously
> , had more trouble with the Deus and three or four
> other detectors come to mind.
>
> It is opening up a very closed beach. I hit a stu
> d earring at 4-5 inches in a couple inches of wate
> r. I hit a small dog tag at a measured 11 inches
> in dry sand. I am seeing a higher
> percentage of nickels in my clad/change. It does
> run quiet (has an adjustable threshold) if you can
> do a reasonably easy ground balance. If it gets n
> oisy, a quick glance at the 999 scale ground balan
> ce number, and check that other settings are still
> good. A couple times (10 hours hunt time) it got
> noisy and it's has been a shift in Gb and a return
> to the number set in the dry sand or a reset puts
> it back to silent running. I have not used the Tr
> acking setting yet, I don't think of it as a beach
> hunting feature (am I wrong?).
>
> I am sure I'll have more to say in the days ahead!

Thanks for the update!!
November 07, 2018 08:42PM
You lucky so and so lol. So what freq are u using in the water vs wet sand? Why are you GBing in the dry sand? Doesn’t the GB Change significantly from dry to wet? I’d say tracking would be worth a shot if you are running the beach N. To S. Because you are running against the grain of the beach. Looking forward to reading more about the machine and what you are finding
November 07, 2018 09:33PM
Heading out to do battle on the beach in a few minutes...
Still finding what works with freq. options- 6.4 deep and high conductor, 9 & 12 mid and 18 for gold is the plan. 18 least stable in water, but I have been able to do it without dropping sens more than a notch or two. While it is being called a 'not vlf detector' it does run standard/typical vlf frequencies. The instructions are to dry sand Gb then in a foot of water get a salt balance. You can then hunt both without changing settings. I will try tracking at some point. No gold yet, but I am hopeful. It's not an everyday find. I am getting deep and small targets. I know I am not running at peak performance levels yet, but learning more each time I go out. Yes Dew, I feel like I won the lottery! Now to go cash in!

Past(or)Tom
Using a Legend, a Deus 2, an Equinox 800, a Tarsacci MDT 8000, & a few others...
November 07, 2018 09:44PM
Good for you Pasttom. Looking forward to the ride along with you through your words. Good luck and keep us abreast. HH jim tn
November 07, 2018 10:03PM
Lucky son-of-a-gun! Almost makes me wish I didn't live in the Great Lakes State... No salt, no sharks
November 07, 2018 11:31PM
The AquaSound kind of works like that. GB the sand ...then two knows GB the salt. It runs on 14khz and 24dcv I believe. Pretty shocking to see a single freq work so well in the water yet sound like a PI when moving.
November 09, 2018 06:20PM
Hi all,
Let me introduce myself, Larry Royal and I go by BIGLRY and if you were to meet me you will know why. I'm the hunting buddy Pasttom mentions. I have been involved with metal detecting for over 20 years and own quite an arsenal of detectors from three Minelab's Excall, NOX 800 & 600, Tesoro Cibola and a few other from the past. I am strictly a beach hunter and wet most of the time.

Yes, I am one of the lucky guys who is playing with the new Tarsacci MDT-8000 and now have about 20 hrs with it all on Pismo Beach Calif. I will be giving a more detailed report as I get more time with it. What I will no be doing is comparing it to other machines as I feel no one machine does it all or does it perfect. What I will be doing is posting my results and anything that I feel will help other detectorist understand this machine.
For now I can say it is one deep seeking machine with more adjustably than most will ever need, it is truly not for the person first starting out in this hobby.
November 09, 2018 07:40PM
I keep seeing "it isnt for the new user" what makes it that way?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/2018 07:41PM by GreenMeanie.
November 09, 2018 09:01PM
Pasttom [ PM ]
November 07, 2018 01:33PM

Pasttom wrote:

"Heading out to do battle on the beach" .

So how did it go?

El
November 09, 2018 09:25PM
GreenMeanie asks
> I keep seeing "it isnt for the new user" what makes it that way?

In my opinion, it's mainly that you have to understand ground balance and now salt balance and should they go out of balance you need to recognize that and rebalance them. There are a fair amount of things to tune. Though once tuned you can turn off the detector and 100% of the settings are saved- very cool!

You can see in the first picture on page 4 of this thread, there's 12 info windows on the screen and 8 buttons to input changes. Starting with a simple 4 bar battery gauge (25% each) and an easy to read VDI scale. There is an on/off Black sand filter; an on/off/auto/manual salt process; on/off Tracking; multiple choice frequency (6.4; 9; 12 & 18); sound mode; volume; ground balance; volume, threshold, disc and sensitivity read outs. Buttons adjust on/off, terrain select, mode, ground balance, pin point, up/down and menu. Once it is set up you can hunt until it starts to false.

The controls are fairly straight forward. The VDI is easy enough. The tones are simple. BUT, you cannot make sense of how it works without reading the manual (not done yet), watching a video/s (not available yet) or tutored by one who knows (not many of these). I don't see anyone picking one up and based on previous experience with other units, being effective. I don't think it would take a lot to get someone up to speed if they have a good understanding of multifaceted detectors with ground balance. I think it would be overwhelming to a newbie.

Past(or)Tom

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2018 09:08PM by Pasttom.
November 09, 2018 09:35PM
biglry Wrote:
> Hi all,
> Let me introduce myself, Larry Royal and I go by B
> IGLRY and if you were to meet me you will know why
> . I'm the hunting buddy Pasttom mentions. I have b
> een involved with metal detecting for over 20 year
> s and own quite an arsenal of detectors from three
> Minelab's Excall, NOX 800 & 600, Tesoro Cibola an
> d a few other from the past. I am strictly a beach
> hunter and wet most of the time.
>
> Yes, I am one of the lucky guys who is playing wit
> h the new Tarsacci MDT-8000 and now have about 20
> hrs with it all on Pismo Beach Calif. I will be gi
> ving a more detailed report as I get more time wit
> h it. What I will no be doing is comparing it to o
> ther machines as I feel no one machine does it all
> or does it perfect. What I will be doing is postin
> g my results and anything that I feel will help ot
> her detectorist understand this machine.
> For now I can say it is one deep seeking machine w
> ith more adjustably than most will ever need, it i
> s truly not for the person first starting out in t
> his hobby.

Welcome aboard Larry. Would love to see some videos of these machine comparisons you're doing if it's at all possible?

GL&HH,
Brian
November 09, 2018 11:52PM
Thank you for your answer.

Pasttom Wrote:
> GreenMeanie asks
> > I keep seeing "it isnt for the new user" what ma
> kes it that way?
>
> In my opinion, it's mainly that you have to unders
> tand ground balance and now salt balance and shoul
> d they go out of balance you need to recognize tha
> t and rebalance them. There are a fair amount of
> things to tune. Though once tuned you can turn of
> f the detector and 100% of the settings are saved-
> very cool!
>
> You can see in the first picture on page 4 of this
> thread, there's 12 info windows on the screen and
> 8 buttons to input changes. Starting with a simpl
> e 4 bar battery gauge (25% each) and an easy to re
> ad VID scale. There is an on/off Black sand filte
> r; an on/off/auto/manual salt process; on/off Trac
> king; multiple choice frequency (6.4; 9; 12 & 18);
> sound mode; volume; ground balance; volume, thres
> hold, disc and sensitivity read outs. Buttons adj
> ust on/off, terrain select, mode, ground balance,
> pin point, up/down and menu. Once it is set up yo
> u can hunt until it starts to false.
>
> The controls are fairly straight forward. The VID
> is easy enough. The tones are simple. BUT, you c
> annot make sense of how it works without reading t
> he manual (not done yet), watching a video/s (not
> available yet) or tutored by one who knows (not ma
> ny of these). I don't see anyone picking one up a
> nd based on previous experience with other units,
> being effective. I don't think it would take a lo
> t to get someone up to speed if they have a good u
> nderstanding of multifaceted detectors with ground
> balance. I think it would be overwhelming to a ne
> wbie.
November 10, 2018 09:29AM
Hello NASA-Tom,
I would like to ask you a few questions. I'm not a beach hunter, but I have many problematic spots where depth "could" be key.

1. How would you describe the sweep speed of this detector, compared to the Deus (in two tone mode - not in fulltones). which reactivity setting would be comparable (in a "normal" scenario)? Or..., is the sweep speed "unnatural" slow compared to other detectors?

2. On the Deus (in two tone and reactivity "3") it is easy to tell the "quality", size, depth, sometimes the shape and position of an object. How would you rate/describe the audio intelligence of this detector?

3. Would the MD8000 have trouble finding *tiny silver coins? (*tiny: ultra thin and ~0.4" in diameter). Would this machine have any advantage over the Deus in mineralized soil (on tiny silver)? How about non mineralized soil?

4. I believe you mentioned somewhere, that this machine is not suited for iron infested sites. What about "normal" areas with more or less isolated targets? Would I be able to sweep the coil only once (over let's say, a nail) and tell that it's iron (without further investigation)?
What will happen with a nail and a (normal sized) coin close to each other, when the coil hits iron first? Will the coin have to be "unusual far" away to get a positive response (compared to other "normal", "old tech" detectors on the market)?

Can you or someone else provide a demonstration video? It doesn't have to be anything fancy. Just sweep the machine over a random lawn for a few minutes and let us hear how it reacts to the soil and some unknown, undisturbed targets. I would like to hear its language (and I'm sure others would too).

Thanks.
November 10, 2018 11:52AM
LET'S TRY THIS. . . . . SINCE THE LINK IS NOT OPENING UP FOR ANYONE:

Technical Specifications MDT 8000
Technology : Mixed Domain (Patent Pending)
Operating Frequency : 6.4kHz/9kHz/12kHz/18kHz
Ground Balance : Manual / Fast Auto
Tracking : Yes
Black Sand Mode : Yes
Salt Mode : Yes
Salinity Balance : Manual
Salinity Level : 0 to 50
Target Identification : Ferrous -30 to -1 / Non-ferrous 0 to 30
Sensitivity : 1 to 9
Threshold Level : -9 to 0
Target Volume : 1 to 15
Target Tones : 4
Tone Break : Ferrous/ Non-ferrous with adjustable non-ferrous notch filter
Audio Modes : All Metal / Discrimination / Mix
Audio Output : Speaker / Headphones
Display : 128X64 Graphic LCD
LCD Backlight : Yes
Battery : 26650 Rechargeable Lithium-ion battery (3.7V, 5000mAh)
Battery Life : Up to 18h@6.4kHz/24h@9kHz/30h@12kHz/36h@18kHz
Operating Temperature :-10C to +50C (+14F to +122F)
Search Coil : Tarsacci MDT 11X9 DD
Shaft : Telescopic 3K carbon fiber with molded 3K carbon fiber “S” rod and armrest
Length : 965cm to 1346cm (38” to 53”)
Weight : 1280g (2.82lb) including the battery
November 10, 2018 12:16PM
And let me try to answer a few additional questions:

1. It's sweep-speed is a normal sweep-speed; yet, slightly slower is best.
2. To audibly 'feel' a targets shape/size is very similar to the older analog detectors...… not a 'digitized' generic beep.
3. This unit is exceptionally good on a U.S. 3-Cent silver Trime…… which is a very small/thin silver coin.
4. Its response to adjacent targets is very similar to a Sovereign or CZ.
5. This unit is not designed for carpets of nails.
6. Some iron nails 'can' false on this unit (just like most other units); yet, can be easily discerned.
7. Mineralization..... and ID in mineralization is where this unit shines. This is to include wet-salt OR mineralization. And.... wet-salt AND mineralization.

I'm still 'frustrated' with the vendors...… and their 'promised' dates. We're waiting on components/pieces for the underwater headphones. Our philosophy is about to shift to: Forget about the underwater headphones. Let the user use their already-existing underwater headphones. Provide the user with whatever phone-jack they need.... for their specific type of underwater headphone(s). We'll catch up with our own underwater headphones..... whenever the vendors fulfill their 'promise'.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/2018 12:17PM by NASA-Tom.
November 10, 2018 01:34PM
Just one question from me, Tom, how does it compare to a proper CZ-5 in you neutral test garden on a US dime?
Thanks
Tom Z
November 10, 2018 03:36PM
Tom..... on a clad dime in neutral soil...… it's identical in depth performance to a CZ.
November 10, 2018 05:54PM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
> Tom..... on a clad dime in neutral soil...… it's identical in depth performance to a CZ.

Would the depth performance also be identical on the wet sand?

Are there any performance related features that make the MDT 8000 better than a CZ?
November 10, 2018 06:09PM
So we still have not passed VLF for depth on coins with this unit?
Just better ID and holding depth in mineralized ground?

I’m not a beach hunter but I would buy any unit that could go deeper then current VLF Detectors
In mineralized ground. The Equinox 800 with big coil is the deepest I have found so far in my area.

Bryan
November 10, 2018 11:53PM
Badger..... would you believe: the depth increases....in the wet-salt.
Tarsacci also goes quite a bit deeper on gold rings in wet-salt.... over CZ/Sov/Excal.
Tarsacci goes quite a bit deeper on non-ferrous targets..... in mineralization.
November 11, 2018 02:28AM
Sell it without headphones is my opinion.