Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

ON THE HORIZON = MDT-8000

Posted by NASA-Tom 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: ON THE HORIZON
November 11, 2018 02:34AM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Badger..... would you believe: the depth increases
> ....in the wet-salt.
> Tarsacci also goes quite a bit deeper on gold ring
> s in wet-salt.... over CZ/Sov/Excal.
> Tarsacci goes quite a bit deeper on non-ferrous ta
> rgets..... in mineralization.

Yes, that's what I was hoping for. Thanks Tom.
November 11, 2018 05:17AM
Druid Wrote:
> I think a new DVD on this unit is in order Tom.
> Would be cool to see you put it through its paces.
> Just sayin,
> Drew.

Even a Youtube video would be great.

I'd love to see Pasttom and biglarry do a video with some comparisons against whatever they usually use, that would be pretty compelling.
November 11, 2018 10:44AM
I know biglarry said he wasnt going to do any comparisons....... but we can relate to a machine we know when showing a video of the two. But.... i also know most people get beat up on these forums doing that.... you didnt do this or that. Im a visual person thou ..... a good video of a daily hunt or some testing in the wet sand would be good. I see Tom said it was deeper than BBS machines...... but didnt include FBS, was there a reason? I will say one thing thou...... BBS doesnt seem to loose nearly as much coil HALO IN the water as FBS or even the Nox.

I saw this interesting quote today that some of us need to think about. "A persons 'mindset' (attitude) can ""fail"" a unit....... or ""pass"" a unit...... before he/she ever even hunts with it - Tom Dankowski".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2018 12:05PM by dewcon4414.
November 11, 2018 05:14PM
Dew, I am sure it's only a matter of time before videos are made. Strategically, it may be early. I only know of 4 people using the unit, but there could be several times that. NASA- Tom has not done videos in several years as far as I know (I think I have all his available DVDs) and Larry and I haven't done any, though we have been in a few. I firmly believe that when the need exceeds the time and effort cost, it will happen. Right now Larry & I, we are just trying to get out and learn ways of the 8000.

Past(or)Tom
Using a Legend, a Deus 2, an Equinox 800, a Tarsacci MDT 8000, & a few others...
with my beloved, fading Corgi, Sadie
November 11, 2018 05:51PM
Hopefully we can hear from someone who has used this detector for inland old coin hunting.

Bryan
November 11, 2018 11:26PM
PT..... im not complaining. I just believe a video well done might boost the interest in the machine and reduce speculation.
November 12, 2018 01:46PM
Hello tom , on the spec there is no word about the waterproofing and the IPX of the machine.
It the machine still waterproof like you mentioned earlier ?
Tarsacci MDT-8000 report
November 18, 2018 10:37PM
Hi,
BIGLRY here with an update of my detecting and continuing used of the Tarsacci metal detector.
I now have a short 40+ hrs on the MDT-8000, all on the beaches of the Central Coast of Calif.(Pismo Beach, Avila Beach, Grover Beach, Oceano Beach). First, this is one hell of a deep machine on some mighty small targets.
After 15 years of beach detecting with the Sov GT, a few Excals, and my most recently add in March of the Nox 800 and Nox 600 I found my first 1944 "P" War Nickel with the MTD-8000. The find was in hard pack, iron infested soil found under the beach sand next to a sea wall in Avila Beach, it was 13" deep and totally unrecognizable as a Nickel other than its roundness with a thick hard green coating on it.
Only after soaking and working with a dental pick did the Nickel reveal the date and that it was a silver "P" War Nickel. I now have hit a silver lobster claw connector with 3 small chain links at 13" and a few ear ring studs at 8" to 12" and some clad dimes and quarter from 12" to 16". I am also finding the target ID numbers to be surprisingly very accurate, only having issues with the crown tops with numbers that jump all over, but I have that issue on all my machines and feel it has to do with the crown tops and their shape, saw tooth edges and metallic composition, not a problem just something to be aware of..

Most all my hunting is in the waist deep water or wet sand to the towel line. The MDT-8000 and has proven to be water resistant so far, I wash it off in fresh water after every hunt and have seen no indication of water intrusion anywhere, I do check the o-ringed battery compartment after each wash just to be sure. The earphones that came with the machine are quite well built, which was a surprises as I'm used to the crap Minelab sends, the MDT-8000 earphones were comfortable, plenty loud and clear... a pleasure to use, but I know everyone has their own headphone demands & requirements so I did try the Equinox 800 blue tooth headphones but with a wired connection (the MDT-8000 is NOT wireless) and the NOX 600 headphones, Mr. Gold's, Grey Ghost and some high quality EBR ear buds and I personally found the stock ones that came with the MDT-8000 were as good or better than the ones I mentioned.

I have run 20 hrs in 6.4Kz and over 20 hrs in 18Kz and found the rechargeable Lithium-ion battery (3.7V, 5000mAh) goes about 13 to 14 hrs in 6.4Kz and over to 20 hrs in the 18Kz setting, I still have not charged the battery since I started using it in 18Kz so I don't know how long it will last in 18Kz.
This machine hits very hard on micro jewelry and small targets. I have been fooled by the fact it does hit so hard on small targets thinking they were shallower or bigger that I thought. I ran across a six pack of empty beer cans that some idiot buried just under the sand in a bag and found the machine has an over load... "OVL" pops up n the screen if there is to much of a signal also noticed this happen when turning on machine to check battery while next to my truck and not being careful where I set the coil.

I have not used the pin point much as the coil is very responsive from heal to toe and if any of you know the "Sovern wiggle" you know how that works and this machined does it to perfection in my option. the MDT-8000 coil with a good wiggle will do the same thing to narrow down target location without the need to pin point.
I also have not been using the supplied coil cover as I was told that the coil bottom was filled in a tough epoxy so I wanted to see how much wear it would get without the coil cover and am very pleased to report after over 40 hours of dragging through and bumping off the sand and gravel the bottom of the coil has shown no wear in fact other than a few light scratches you would think it was unused.

the MDT-800 is a very well balanced, solid, all composite graphite machine with high grade shaft locks/clamps. You don't need to use the push pin locking if you want to adjust between the pin holes, the shaft locks/clamps hold the shafts together tight with no flex or shaft rotation and at under 3 lbs. a real pleasure to swing all day. While I'm on the subject of the swing I have found you can swing the coil at a fairly fast rate. Now I know swing rates are very subjective to each person, so let me say you can swing a hell of a lot faster than an Ecall or Sov GT and I dare say as fast as the Nox. Yep you can move it fairly fast and feel confident you are not going to miss anything.

I do like the idea behind the Salt balance and found the numbers did not change day to day, but when I detected next to a stream of fresh water going into the ocean I did get a change in the numbers as to the salinity and how much it had changed.
It also took me some time to understand the threshold adjustment as there is no sound like I am used to. I learned the threshold works in conjunction with the sensitivity setting and really helps on reducing chatter without sacrificing as much depth. I look at it a fine tune sensitivity adjustment that once you set you sensitivity and find you have some light chatter you can get quite with a drop in the threshold say -2 to -3 and you still have all the depth.

My overall conclusion after just 40+ hours use on only beaches... the Tarsacci MDT-8000 is a keeper and I look forward to posting some pic of finds that I know are coming with this detector.

Respectfully,
BIGLRY

Metal Detecting is my drug of choice.
I get high with an Equinox 800, Equinox 600, two Excalibur ll with 10" slim-line coils, Excalibur 1000 with 10" BBS, Mr. Gold's phones, Plugger carbon fiber shafts, Sov GT with Patrick meter mod & S12 coil, Tarsacci MDT-8000. Last, but not least a Tesoro Cibola with a 11x8 Delta DD coil.

Integrity is what we do when we think no one is looking!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2018 08:19PM by biglry.
November 18, 2018 11:34PM
I’d like to see those finds....especially the micro gold since Tom said it wasn’t a micro gold machine. If it’s getting that kind of depth in your area our mild minerals would be even better. When I say micro gold I’m not talking small gold....it’s those ultra thin chains pieces of jewelry and earring backs....tiny stuff. Have you found it to be a set and go machine or does it take a lot of tampering each time out?
November 19, 2018 01:08AM
Sounds promising. Looking forward to hearing details of who the manufacturer is - what backing they have - who will stand behind the product.

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold
November 19, 2018 02:41AM
Thank you for the report BIGLRY! Sounds very good IMO. When you started talking about the threshold setting it immediately brought the CoinStrike to mind, as there was a lot of hidden secrets in that setting. It didn't make the machine respond like you normally associate a threshold control to do on other metal detectors. Most people only think of it as a background humm noise. On the C$ it was much more. That made me think that some of that carries over into this machine as well. I will have to snag me up one of these machines when I refill my detector fund bucket...hopefully it will be available by then. I got into the bucket last week and bought a GPX 4800. smiling smiley
November 19, 2018 05:00AM
See this link post #21.
Is this the same detector being talked about in this thread ??
Seems designation maybe different.
[www.treasurenet.com]
November 19, 2018 11:20AM
He needs to do some editing id say...... lol
November 19, 2018 05:50PM
dewcon4414 Wrote:
> I’d like to see those finds....especially the micr
> o gold since Tom said it wasn’t a micro gold machi
> ne. If it’s getting that kind of depth in your ar
> ea our mild minerals would be even better. When I
> say micro gold I’m not talking small gold....it’s
> those ultra thin chains pieces of jewelry and earr
> ing backs....tiny stuff. Have you found it to be
> a set and go machine or does it take a lot of tamp
> ering each time out?
As soon as I get some pic of the small stuff I'll post a few...it does hit small iron i.e. small staple, straight pin, Levi seam tack, small lengths of cheap chain under 2", tennis shoe eyelets. Also likes the small aluminum slaw found heavy on the local beaches here along with banging deep clad coins like a PI machine. I have been running in All Metal for the last 40+ hours and will now switch between Discriminate and the new one I have never seen which is a combo of All Metal & Discrimination with the ability to give an All Metal tone and a Discrimination tone side by side. I've been told the MDT-8000 has four tones which I have only heard three of so far, but probably due to me not running in one of the other selectable pre programed modes like Discrimination or All Metal & Discrimination.
I think my Hunting partner Pasttom may have more insight as he has done more dirt fishing in some parks and other areas than the beach than me.

I have found once you set the machine and you turn it OFF the next time you turn it on it go right to the EXACT same setting as when it was turned off even if the battery is replaced, so if you are at the same beach as the last time you hunted then YES turn it on and go, if you turn it off to take a break you can turn it right back on and hunt. The Ground balance is fast and easy the same for the Salt balance.

Respectfully,
BIGLRY

Metal Detecting is my drug of choice.
I get high with an Equinox 800, Equinox 600, two Excalibur ll with 10" slim-line coils, Excalibur 1000 with 10" BBS, Mr. Gold's phones, Plugger carbon fiber shafts, Sov GT with Patrick meter mod & S12 coil, Tarsacci MDT-8000. Last, but not least a Tesoro Cibola with a 11x8 Delta DD coil.

Integrity is what we do when we think no one is looking!
November 19, 2018 08:15PM
tnsharpshooter Wrote:
> See this link post #21.
> Is this the same detector being talked about in th
> is thread ??
> Seems designation maybe different.
> [www.treasurenet.com]
> ter/587091-whites-new-tdi-beach-hunter-2.html
My bad... eye rolling smileyI miss spelled the model and have gone back and corrected my post. I should say the "Tarsacci MDT-8000"
November 19, 2018 08:25PM
dewcon4414 Wrote:
> He needs to do some editing id say...... lol<
Yeap, and done "Tarsacci MDT-8000" thumbs down
November 19, 2018 10:48PM
biglry Wrote:
> tnsharpshooter Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > See this link post #21.
> > Is this the same detector being talked about in
> th
> > is thread ??
> > Seems designation maybe different.
> > [www.treasurenet.com]-
> wa
> > ter/587091-whites-new-tdi-beach-hunter-2.html
> My bad... eye rolling smileyI miss spelled the model and have gon
> e back and corrected my post. I should say the [si
> ze=large]"Tarsacci MDT-8000"[/size]

Well done.
I have been copying and sharing this info on this detector on other forums. Wanted to ensure the actual model was correct.
Thanks again.
November 20, 2018 08:22PM
How many guys you have beta testing them out there?
November 20, 2018 08:39PM
GreenMeanie Wrote:
> How many guys you have beta testing them out there
> ?
I personally can only verify 2 here on the Central Coast of Calif. Pasttom and myself right now. I have been told there has been testing done all over the country, but I don't know the specifics of who, when & where.
November 21, 2018 12:20AM
Found this [translate.google.com]

[translate.google.com]

DeepTech Vista X with 3 search coils.
Works for me
November 21, 2018 10:25AM
sven the info you found is in this thread , i just shared it in separate post on my french forum spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2018 10:29AM by youdig.
November 21, 2018 11:15AM
youdig Wrote:
> sven the info you found is in this thread , i just
> shared it in separate post on my french forum (tongue sticking out smiley
> )

Oh well, missed it all....................anyways a then its a plug for your French forum thumbs down

DeepTech Vista X with 3 search coils.
Works for me
November 21, 2018 12:20PM
Wonder who that person was that had both in their hands ... hummmm. My understand the initial Manta was quite a machine in its own right since it may have been better than most current PIs on the market. Lets add with all the benefits of a disc VLF that we like. Im still hoping someone from FL will post how it does neck deep in the Gulf. We get these water machines .... yet water hunting seems to be a second thought....... even the Nox wasnt really dunked (no headphones). A lot .... i mean a LOT changes from the dry sand to neck deep.
November 21, 2018 03:45PM
dewcon4414 ----This is an earlier post by Tom. The third paragraph may give you the answer to whom the person is.

NASA-Tom [ PM ]
October 17, 2018 04:03PM Registered: 12 years ago

I have tested both of the Manta proto's….. over a year ago. This is GEN-1 Manta's. Then I demonstrated my (highly modified) AquaStar-II to/with Carl..... in my test-garden. Carl then commandeered my AquaStar-II (for a year)…… due to some of my implemented modifications. You can bet Carl and Alexandre have NOT been sleeping. A few of the performance parameters of the AquaStar exemplified 'merit'. Since then..... I believe the Manta is at GEN-3 level...… of which I have not tested. I'd be willing to wager …. the GEN-3 is markedly improved/different from the GEN-1's that I tested. BUT..... because I have not tested the latest rendition …. I am reluctant to speculate its performance levels.

However..... I feel I can say this: The AQUAmanta is specifically targeting the wet-salt beach..... and specifically for low-conductive gold. Yes..... there will most-probably be a dirt-manta: TERRAmanta. . . . in the future. The Manta is a PI-based platform..... which (inherently) is going to handle wet-salt and bad mineralization much better than VLF-based platform(s). Typical with PI's.... is the fact that (especially if they are designed to be more specifically resonant to low-conductive gold) ….. they will be 'hot' on Fe iron. This is a worthwhile trade-off for the wet-salt..... once the language is learned. I also speculate the discrimination capabilities of the Manta....will be "PI-crude"; yet, effective. ((( Read: usable ))).

The new MD8000 Tarsacci is neither VLF or PI. It is a Multi Domain based platform. It is certainly the trump-card over the GEN-1 Manta. However; The GEN-3 Manta might create a game-changer...… with a twist......and potentially imposed stipulations.....and attributes. Brian...… it is hard for me to answer your question..... under a unique/unsuspecting premise. The Tarsacci has full conductive-spectrum ID. The Manta does not. The Tarsacci can be used inland..... in mineralized dirt..... and can 'focus' on all non-ferrous spectrum targets..... giving the user a better option to dig/not-dig certain selected non-ferrous targets. ((( It's too early in the game to be able to tell 'what' the TERRAmanta dirt performance.... and not-designed/invented-yet: ID/and/or Discrimination capabilities will be. ))) My philosophy for wet-salt beach hunting is: dig ALL no-ferrous targets.... and even some (conductive high-end of the iron spectrum) iron targets.

The Tarsacci is not my invention/inception; yet, I've had some 'input'.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2018 03:47PM by Elbert.
November 21, 2018 05:47PM
indeed thanks elbert =) btw dont get crazy on target discrimination with pi it will never equal a vlf and absolutely not a bbs or fbs , i think the manta has the ability to get rid of iron ( and im not sure about big iron) but that might be it which is already good considering it a pi...
November 30, 2018 05:49PM
Tom/anyone , any new news on the Tarsacci?

El
November 30, 2018 06:47PM
I am intrigued by such a new type of detector... However I live in the Pacific Northwest, the home of volcanic soil.
And am hesitant to purchase even with the favorable reports of beach use, both in the dry and wet sand.

I actually live about 55 miles south of Mt St. Helens, (that erupted in 1980) so this is a very real and pertinent question in my opinion.
Will be watching this thread for further details to be sure.

Peter
December 01, 2018 03:35AM
Big Larry and I are on the beach every chance we get using the MDT8000. A few days ago I was able to made a quick test burying a 1 gram, 14k plain band at 8 inches and an 18k, 10 gram band at 14 inches and the Tarsacci hit them both with solid tone and stable ID. I had my Equinox 800 with the 15 inch coil there and it hit them but not as cleanly. This was in wet sand at waters edge. The holes were taking water from the bottom up as I placed the rings at the bottom.

I have hit half a dozen stud earrings in the last month (none gold). We had a storm yesterday and it moved several feet of sand. Unfortunately the tide was such that the normal towel line was underwater and the surf and surge prevented getting to the good stuff. I was shocked to recover one target and see that it was a single link of the type that would connect a charm to a bracelet. It was a good 3 inches in wet black sand. I really have faith that nothing tiny would be missed that any other detector would see. Of course, you never know what you miss...

Past(or)Tom
Using a Legend, a Deus 2, an Equinox 800, a Tarsacci MDT 8000, & a few others...
with my beloved, fading Corgi, Sadie
December 01, 2018 06:12AM
I want one of em.

Nasa Tom, is there any way we can buy one now without the waterproof headphones and just pick those up later when available?
December 01, 2018 12:19PM
1 gram ring....... pretty impressive at 8" for sure. Next time Tom.....put it on end at say 4".... swing right to left then top to bottom. That seems to be a challenge for the Nox. Junk jewelry ... especially copper POP with the Nox as well. I get a lot of melted aluminum flakes and WWII bullet fragments here that will drive you BLIND at surprising depth. I have no doubt if NASA Tom is involved the machine impressed him. It sounds like if you arent looking for really smaller gold..... and a good many arent.... and need a machine that will see thru more of the gray and dark wet sand this maybe what you want. Tom how do you like the weight and shaft...... especially the lower, do you think it will wear well in and out of the salt water? How about the angle of the S upper?

Daniel what would you be testing on and where? Great offer there Tom....... you got one sold. Looks like it would just be a matter of changing out the connector on the pig tail later Daniel and Tom mentioned those phones were not included anyway.