Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

ON THE HORIZON = MDT-8000

Posted by NASA-Tom 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: ON THE HORIZON
December 01, 2018 01:31PM
A few tidbits for an update.

We've decided to 'press forward' and NOT wait on the suppliers for the underwater headphones. This is really holding up the 'release date'. We'll still continue working on the UW headphones; yet, it will no longer be a factor on product rollout. These headphones will be an option...… but at a later date. In the meantime..... the unit will be sent to each person/customer with a headphone pigtail of YOUR request/choice. . . . . . and at no extra charge. Personally...…. I'm using a pigtail that has a standard female 1/8" stereo jack...… as most of my headphones are 1/8" stereo. (Primarily the KOSS QZ-99).

Still working on the Owners Manual. This (now) is the primary delay.

To me...…. the S-rod config is good...… ergonomically. The unit is fairly light...…. and well balanced. The thick carbon fiber entire shaft/assembly is excessively rugged. The heaviest-duty assembly that I have ever seen.

I'll continue to keep you posted/updated.
December 01, 2018 02:34PM
Can the MDT8000 use regular headphones or are we stuck with the waterproof ones? If it can use any headphones, then the waterproof ones should be optional and there should be no reason to wait for them.
December 01, 2018 03:02PM
Thanks Tom. Those considering say an M12 connector because they have the CTX water proof ones needs to know how they are wired....3 pins. With 2 being jumped. Tom you going to make the manual down loadable? I’m curious why you opted for a pig tail rather than have the connector on the machine? Is it because it allows us connector options? Is the pig tail hard wired? I don’t remember seeing how it looked. Can one change it out if it gets damaged I guess is what I’m also asking? Sorry for all the questions.

Badger you must have been typing at the same time Tom was.
December 01, 2018 05:40PM
Hey, Dew! I can answer a part of this. The pig-tail is a plug in/screw in and easily changed- it is not hard wired to the detector and even comes with a cap to cover the socket, if desired, when not using headphones. I've only seen 3.5 mm/ 1/8 adapters on the 3 units I've seen. The solution is elegant. The quality is top notch as it is in every area. The shaft is a bit front heavy, but the coil is SO LIGHT it is virtually unnoticeable. The cam locks are absolutely the best I've seen on any detector. Build quality on the coil is excellent as well- extremely high quality epoxy. It comes with a coil cover, but you don't need it for most usage IMHO.

Past(or)Tom
Using a Legend, a Deus 2, an Equinox 800, a Tarsacci MDT 8000, & a few others...
with my beloved, fading Corgi, Sadie

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2018 06:02PM by Pasttom.
cdv
December 01, 2018 05:42PM
Dew, the two pins jumpered together are only for the CTX to shut off the external speaker. It will not matter how the jumper is wired AS LONG AS the right two pins are used. Three wires not needed in the jumper.

Cliff

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2018 08:05PM by cdv.
December 01, 2018 08:15PM
Cliff.... it does if you intend on using those phones on both machines....just like we do on the Xcal. Am I wrong? Otherwise yes you could even use the cheaper 4 pin M12....like u said as long as the pins matched.

So Tom are u saying that’s a screw in pig tail? So what’s the connector.... same as the Nox waterproof? How about a pic of the back?
December 01, 2018 08:15PM
Deep …….with accurate ID. Very interesting!
December 01, 2018 08:49PM
Ill take one
cdv
December 02, 2018 12:32AM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A few tidbits for an update.
>
> We've decided to 'press forward' and NOT wait on t
> he suppliers for the underwater headphones. This i
> s really holding up the 'release date'. We'll stil
> l continue working on the UW headphones; yet, it w
> ill no longer be a factor on product rollout. Thes
> e headphones will be an option...… but at a later
> date. In the meantime..... the unit will be sent t
> o each person/customer with a headphone pigtail of
> YOUR request/choice
. . . . . . and at no extra cha
> rge. Personally...…. I'm using a pigtail that has
> a standard female 1/8" stereo jack...… as most of
> my headphones are 1/8" stereo. (Primarily the KOSS
> QZ-99).
>

Dew, I was talking about the pigtail of your choice (M12 for the CTX phones we have)….it will not require the jumper. Now, IF they make waterproof phones (with an M12 connector) and desire them to also work on a CTX, YES they would need a jumper installed to have the phones work with the CTX...

Cliff
December 02, 2018 12:48AM
Got ya Cliff you are saying our phones already are jumped. So we will just have to do the M12 pins to match the ones on the phones. Hey I’m old give me a break lol. Now I’m wondering what type of connector the pigtail plugs into?
December 03, 2018 01:25AM
Badger...… almost missed your question. Yes..... the MDT will be compatible with most any pair of headphones.
Headphone pinout will gladly be provided to all...…. as we progress.
December 03, 2018 01:04PM
Got my ducks in a row and ready to purchase when they become available. Looks like I would have no problem understanding the workings of the MD. While almost exclusively hunting beaches this could be the edge needed this spring with the current drops in the wet sand. Not to mention all the beaches around me that haven't been replenished. Sand 3ft deep where they have. I was ready to hang it up for awhile till news of this new style of MD popped up. Now I feel like I did when they starting talking about the EQ 800. Excited about the hobby again.
December 03, 2018 04:07PM
Was there any mention how it does in fresh water hunting?
December 04, 2018 02:51AM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
> A few tidbits for an update.
>
> We've decided to 'press forward' and NOT wait on t
> he suppliers for the underwater headphones. This i
> s really holding up the 'release date'. We'll stil
> l continue working on the UW headphones; yet, it w
> ill no longer be a factor on product rollout. Thes
> e headphones will be an option...… but at a later
> date. In the meantime..... the unit will be sent t
> o each person/customer with a headphone pigtail of
> YOUR request/choice. . . . . . and at no extra cha
> rge. Personally...…. I'm using a pigtail that has
> a standard female 1/8" stereo jack...… as most of
> my headphones are 1/8" stereo. (Primarily the KOSS
> QZ-99).
>
> Still working on the Owners Manual. This (now) is
> the primary delay.
>
> To me...…. the S-rod config is good...… ergonomica
> lly. The unit is fairly light...…. and well balanc
> ed. The thick carbon fiber entire shaft/assembly i
> s excessively rugged. The heaviest-duty assembly t
> hat I have ever seen.
>
> I'll continue to keep you posted/updated.

Best guess of release date please.
And has price been nailed down?
Unless some thing happens unknowingly I am buying one.
I have a couple buds who don’t do detecting forums.
I have been talking to them.
They are interested it seems.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2018 03:01AM by tnsharpshooter.
December 04, 2018 10:42PM
After almost 100 hrs of detecting with the Tarsacci MDT-8000 I thought is was time for an update and some pic of the machine. As some of you may know I was one of the lucky guys who have been using the MDT-8000 on the beach in Calif. Pismo Beach and Avila Beach to be exact. This is one deep seeking machine as I have constantly been getting finds deeper in the wet sand than my Excal ll or NOX 800 and NOX 600. I have found it runs the 18kh freq just fine once I learned how to tune for it in the salt water. You must back off the sensitivity quit a bit to 3 or 4, but it does not seems to hurt the depth. In the dry sand or wet with no waves I can run at 8 with 9 being max sensitivity. I have found I like ALL METAL verses the Discriminate or MIX mode and feel this is where this detector really shines.
I also need to correct something I posted about the battery and how long it last, after doing two charges it seems to last a lot longer. I found in 6.4kh it will go closer to 20 hours of use compared to the 12 hrs I got out of the first charge and in 18kh I am getting close to 40 hrs from a charge. I am no battery expert, but I'm positive I'm getting more run time after a few charge cycles.

Here are some close up pic.... .
First is the epoxy filled coil, this is after almost 100 hrs in sand and beach cobble with no coil cover, it is holding up very well, there is a coil cover with the unit I just did not want to run it so I could see how tough the epoxy filled coil is and how well it will hold up.

Next is the O-ring sealed battery compartment and battery, easy to change and unit comes with 2 batteries so you have a spare. Note: I added the nylon strap to the arm cuff.

Here is pic of the shaft locks, they are the best adjustable shaft locks I have ever seen with an all SS screw, cam-over lock lever, this three piece shaft is rock solid with absolutely no wiggle or slop in the shaft.

Here is a pic of the back of the unit with the supplied pig-tail for the headphones that came with the detector.

Some dash pic, first is ALL METAL with SALT on and BLACK SAND lit up ready to be turned on, I did cut one of the screen protectors that came with my NOX to fit and is why you will see words & black down the left side of the screen.

Dis mode

MIX mode

All carbon fiber construction. This is one solid, well made metal detector that is a tool that I am finding I reach for more and more....................Pic of some of my finds in the next post.

Metal Detecting is my drug of choice.
I get high with an Equinox 800, Equinox 600, two Excalibur ll with 10" slim-line coils, Excalibur 1000 with 10" BBS, Mr. Gold's phones, Plugger carbon fiber shafts, Sov GT with Patrick meter mod & S12 coil, Tarsacci MDT-8000. Last, but not least a Tesoro Cibola with a 11x8 Delta DD coil.

Integrity is what we do when we think no one is looking!
December 04, 2018 11:19PM
I want one!! With the dirt program in it.
December 04, 2018 11:35PM
Has anyone that has used the 8000 also had experience with any of the Nautilus DMC detectors? If so, how similar is the 8000's mixed mode to that of the Nautilus? Specifically the delay, if any, between the beginning of the all metal circuit's audio report and the disc circuit's audio report on the Nautilus is very telling. If the two sound simultaneously chances are it's a non-ferrous target. If there is a delay between the start of the two audio reports the target is more likely to be ferrous. Does the mixed mode on the 8000 perform in a similar manner?
December 05, 2018 03:35AM
tnsharpshooter Wrote:
> I want one!! With the dirt program in it.

I might be wrong but I think you may be getting the Tarscci mixed up with Manta. I believe the Tarscci is a land and beach unit while the Manta is now designed as a beach unit only with further development needed for a stand alone land based unit. Someone please correct me if I am mistaken.

El
December 05, 2018 03:47AM
Elbert Wrote:
> tnsharpshooter Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I want one!! With the dirt program in it.
>
> I might be wrong but I think you may be getting th
> e Tarscci mixed up with Manta. I believe the Tarsc
> ci is a land and beach unit while the Manta is now
> designed as a beach unit only with further develop
> ment needed for a stand alone land based unit. Som
> eone please correct me if I am mistaken.
>
> El

I could be wrong Elbert.
I was basing my comments on this entry by NASA-Tom when talking of Cullpepper dirt.
Maybe he can clarify.

NASA-Tom Wrote:
> * Right now...….. at minimum...…. a one-year warra
> nty. (Possibly more).
>
> * No...…. I'm not talking about the Manta.
>
> * One battery is too much? I'm not sure I understa
> nd. ---- Average Batt life is about 30-hours.
>
> * Not good for tiny gold.
>
> * Unit will come with a pigtail headphone jack ada
> pter...… for 1/8" stereo jack..... so you can use
> whatever headphones you have in your inventory. Bu
> t..... you can also purchase a custom-built headph
> one that is specific to this detector......and is
> waterproof. It is not going to be included in the
> package...… so as to keep costs down.,.,.,.,.,.,.,
> and most people are exceptionally 'choice selectiv
> e' when it comes to headphones.
>
> * You will need a custom built unit for Culpepper
> dirt. (This might change).
>
> Has anyone ever looked up IP-68 spec's? It's kind
> of interesting. 1.5 Meters deep ….for 30-Minutes.
> That's all!
December 05, 2018 03:58AM
This sounds like half-sine technology to me. It has been used in geophysical prospecting for decades. This is something that I know Whites, Minelab, and probably FTP now that Carl is there, have been working on for years as far as bringing it to the Hobby market. It would be something if this company has beat them to the punch, at least in Beach hunting and highly mineralized applications, if half-sine is what this is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2018 04:03AM by Cipher.
December 05, 2018 03:59AM
tnsharpshooter Wrote:
> Elbert Wrote:
> -----
> > tnsharpshooter Wrote:
> > ------------------------------------------------
> --
> > -----
> > > I want one!! With the dirt program in it.
> >
> > I might be wrong but I think you may be getting
> th
> > e Tarscci mixed up with Manta. I believe the Tar
> sc
> > ci is a land and beach unit while the Manta is n
> ow
> > designed as a beach unit only with further devel
> op
> > ment needed for a stand alone land based unit. S
> om
> > eone please correct me if I am mistaken.
> >
> > El
>
>
> I could be wrong Elbert.
> I was basing my comments on this entry by NASA-Tom
> when talking of Cullpepper dirt.
> Maybe he can clarify.
>
> NASA-Tom Wrote:
> -----
> > * Right now...….. at minimum...…. a one-year war
> ra
> > nty. (Possibly more).
> >
> > * No...…. I'm not talking about the Manta.
> >
> > * One battery is too much? I'm not sure I unders
> ta
> > nd. ---- Average Batt life is about 30-hours.
> >
> > * Not good for tiny gold.
> >
> > * Unit will come with a pigtail headphone jack a
> da
> > pter...… for 1/8" stereo jack..... so you can us
> e
> > whatever headphones you have in your inventory.
> Bu
> > t..... you can also purchase a custom-built head
> ph
> > one that is specific to this detector......and i
> s
> > waterproof. It is not going to be included in th
> e
> > package...… so as to keep costs down.,.,.,.,.,.,
> .,
> > and most people are exceptionally 'choice select
> iv
> > e' when it comes to headphones.
> >
> > * You will need a custom built unit for Culpeppe
> r
> > dirt. (This might change).
> >
> > Has anyone ever looked up IP-68 spec's? It's kin
> d
> > of interesting. 1.5 Meters deep ….for 30-Minutes
> .
> > That's all!

Check out the very first post by Tom the started this topic.
December 05, 2018 04:19AM
I see that now Elbert.
Maybe NASA Tom will clarify if units (all) can handle all dirt mineralization levels.
The weight of this detector is very attractive.
I want some thing to experiemt with that is non typical.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2018 04:20AM by tnsharpshooter.
December 05, 2018 11:22AM
Does that connector that the pig tail attaches to have an O ring with threads like the Nox that say an M12 can plug into...... IE is it waterproof?

I think its just the way the picture came out...... but where the cuff is attached..... is that tapered..... the cuff must slide? To charge the battery you have to remove it each time? Im assuming there will be after market batteries with longer MAHs that can be used? Did i catch that there WILL be a pair of headphones with the machine........ or you are using a pair you got with the machine for testing?

I like those locks. So you have put it in the salt water and had to really reduce the sensitivity..... but it worked in 18khz? In the wet sand it was deeper than the Xcal/Nox..... but you also said you had to significantly reduce the sensitivity IN the salt water. Ive found the Xcals/BBS dont loose as much sensitivity as the FBS or even the Nox IN THE WATER..... so depth wise by having to reduce the sensitivity...... do things get more EQUAL depth wise or is there a better freq in the water?
December 05, 2018 08:37PM
Quick-Start link:

[drive.google.com]

We have been successful at being able to get the price well below the CTX price.
Tarsacci will be $1539.00

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2018 10:19PM by NASA-Tom.
December 05, 2018 09:38PM
The Quick start link is not working.

Now working. Thanks!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2018 11:04PM by Cabin Fever.
December 06, 2018 07:30PM

NASA-Tom Wrote:
> Quick-Start link:
>
> [drive.google.com]
> ywMxZeeyW5qqkMd/view?usp=sharing
>
> We have been successful at being able to get the p
> rice well below the CTX price.
> Tarsacci will be $1539.00

I sure am thinking about this as I am updating my primary detector. I am intrigued by this new type of detector as well. I am also thinking about the Eqinox 600/800 too.
In all honesty, whom ever has had the most input (and utilized said input) from Thomas D. would seriously tip the scales in my favor to that brand detector.

Who agrees 100% with me on this??
Peter

What was once impossible..... is now easy and obvious. BUT.......... if : You don't know...what you don't know........ it continues to appear/look impossible.
-Thomas Dankowski
December 06, 2018 09:37PM
dewcon4414 Wrote:
Does that connector that the pig tail attaches to have an O ring with threads like the Nox that say
an M12 can plug into......IE is it waterproof? YES, screw in headphone connector is water proof

I think its just the way the picture came out...... but where the cuff is attached..... is that tape
red..... NO that is the red O-ring

the cuff must slide? NO the arm cuff as well as the lower support legs are fixed

To charge the battery you have to remove it each time? YES, unit also comes with a smart charger that holds 2 batteries.

I'm assuming there will be after market batteries with longer MAHs that can be used? it comes with two batteries which power 20 to 40 hours each depending which freq you run. You only run one battery in the machine at a time.

Did i catch that there WILL be a pair of headphones with the machine........ or you are using a pair you got with the machine for testing? I'm using the ones that will come with machine

I like those locks. So you have put it in the salt water and had to really reduce the sensitivity..... but it worked in 18khz? YES
In the wet sand it was deeper than the Xcal/Nox..... IMO YES

but you also said you had to significantly reduce the sensitivity IN the salt water. I've found the Xcals/BBS don't loose as much sensitivity as the FBS or even the Nox
IN THE WATER..... so depth wise by having to reduce the sensitivity...... do things get more EQUAL depth wise or is there a better freq in the water? When in 6.4kh I have NOT had to reduce sensitivity when in the surf & waves like in 18kh.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2018 09:43PM by biglry.
December 08, 2018 08:36PM
Finally! Here's the Owners Manual for the MDT-8000

[drive.google.com]
December 08, 2018 08:52PM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
> Finally! Here's the Owners Manual for the MDT-8000
>
> [drive.google.com]
> aEZsj9wfeY2TRt-/view?usp=sharing

Link stopped working for me, but two things that caught my eye first:
1). The ground balance scale is very large at 0-500. I don't believe I've seen a scale that wide before. I wonder if this detector is capable of greater "resolution" when it comes to ground balancing.
2). The description of the mixed mode. It seems that the all metal and disc sounds are sequential inside of layered on top or dedicated to one side of the headphones. It could be super fast sequential responses but makes me curious about the recovery and separation abilities.

Thanks for posting Tom!
December 08, 2018 09:10PM
Very interesting for sure.
A video demonstration would be extremely valuable.

I would like to see some further explanation of the Tones and especially the Discrimination features.

Bryan