Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

ON THE HORIZON = MDT-8000

Posted by NASA-Tom 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: ON THE HORIZON
December 08, 2018 10:49PM
when I click the link, I get a notice the file no longer exists
December 09, 2018 12:11AM
I got the first few pages showing assembly and discribes the buttons. Nothing more. Tom how was the freqs chosen? Cool to have a digital salt reading and adjustment. Much like the knobs did on the AquaSound really smooths out how it does in the water. So... there is no notching? PastTom.... I saw where 6.5 ran smooth in the salt water.... I know 14k can run well. So have you tried 12 for water hunting?
December 09, 2018 12:17AM
User’s Manual link is working for me 100%.
Have opened three times perused entire, all 23 pages of Manual using IPad.
December 09, 2018 12:20AM
Long post

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
December 09, 2018 12:30AM
Works for me too. Just downloaded it. No problem.
December 09, 2018 12:08PM
Same here. No problems downloading and reading entire manual on iPad .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/2018 12:09PM by Gary in Daytona.
December 09, 2018 12:44PM
Let me start by saying....... theres no dumb question right?

I down loaded it... works fine. With the crunched digits..... it looks like the relic guys will like it......so the tones will be something like ..... relic, gold, coins? I know we dig it all...even those targets we know. So the sensitivity will be for a bit larger gold...... kind of like setting the uS higher on a PI so i assume we will dig less tiny low-range conductors? Where does a nickel fall in those digits?

1. I remember you saying the salt content just like dirt can be different everywhere. So i assume most machine have a FIXED salt setting and the ability to adjust that much like manual GB should improve stability in the water.

2. will it give you a tracking digit as a starting point for adjusting the GB manually...... and how will we know its not the salt that needs adjusting over the GB?

3. Modulate sound ...... so we will be able to tell small or deep signal.

4. A processed AM giving digits so no need to reverse disc. Ive never really worked in mixed mode thou have had it on a couple of machines. The mixed tones...... out of BOTH phones?

5. Setting the disc .... appears to say there are about 4 digits affected + or -. so if you want to catch the 1 or 2 digit targets you need to set it at -2 correct? What type targets can we expect to come in at say 0 to +2.

6. So... for us Fl guys with dry sand at 0.... we may need to make it a habit to reduce the sensitivity initially? How much affect will this have on depth once its balanced here? will we need to re-GB moving to the wet sand.... which i assume will be our GB in the water as well? When GBing here..... can we just go to tracking or will it NOT GB there to unless we reduce the sensitivity..... but it will give a machine GB right? GB 4 to 5" above the ground.... a bit different from most where we just set the coil on the ground and GB.

7. Salt adjustment now thats different. With the aquasound we adjusted it under water......with water above and below the coil. So is that salt GB done the way it is ..... more for wet sand? IF.... IF one was to adjust it IN the water with say 18" above and below the coil.... what would happen...... would it become even less sensitive to small gold rings? I now see why you said this machine wont be for the average person. Since chatter can be from a few issues..... especially in the water. Turning off the salt setting in the dry sand will improve sensitivity to smaller targets i assume especially using the higher two settings? So.... if you are going to wet sand hunt you have to get IN THE WATER to salt balance? with waves isnt that going to be hard to do?

8. adjusting the threshold to reduce chatter.........will that affect iron targets like hot rocks... or more non-ferr?

9. Did notice the manual was directed toward the beach hunter. Just curious Tom....... as more people use the machine will the manual be UPDATED where this information gained wont be lost?
December 09, 2018 04:15PM
I am being inundated with PM's, e-mails, texts & forum questions regarding this MDT-8000. Let me give a couple of updates..... and answer a few questions:

* We've decided we're going to ship the first handful of units with a above-average quality headphone set (NOT waterproof). And...… these headphones have arrived.
(((We're still working with vendor …. for the waterproof headphones; which appears to have..... yet... another delay))).

* We've also been waiting on batteries. They have arrived also. We now have everything.

* Tarsacci takes only one battery. Unscrew the waterproof cap underneath the armcup…… and the battery comes right out. The unit will be supplied with 2 batteries..... and supplied with a 2-battery standard wall charger. The supplied batteries are of 5000mA. I researched..... and see that you can also get this exact battery at 6000mA and 8000mA ratings..... and a couple of other (not-so-common) ratings.

* The Tarsacci will work with a variety of common/regular off-the-shelf headphones. . . . of your choice.

* I'm not sure why some folks can fully open the Owners Manual link whilst others can only 'partially open'...… yet, some other folks can not even open up the file. (Possibly due to individual computer software operating system(s)). Yes..... if there are many common questions; we may very well add this data & answers via inclusion in the Owners Manual. Remember; the entire drafting intent of the Owners Manual...… followed the K.I.S.S. theory.

* Multi-Tones are reported/heard in both earcups; NOT left-ear for all-metal...… and right-ear for Disc. You will find this methodology to present very good artificial intelligence.

* In most cases..... the Tarsacci likes to be Salt balanced with the coil bobbing above the salt water. This is what presents the greatest differential. If you are moving the coil up-and-down (bobbing) IN the water...… fully submersed in the water...…. the detector hardly sees a delta/differential/difference in salinity 'change'. . . . hence/subsequently... making this unit more difficult to Salt balance IN the water.

* I am focusing on this unit..... as if it is only a salt-water hunter. It is not! Another primary intent is...… bad dirt relic hunting!
December 09, 2018 04:30PM
Link not working for me now. It was working yesterday.
December 09, 2018 04:34PM
Would like to see what the guys are finding good bad or in between. I didn't see anything about modulation except in PP mode. Depth and size seems to be the 0 to 99 digits and how long the loud tone is in PP mode. Also the PP tone is most sensitive the entire length of center of coil so the wiggle seems to be the ticket to get a edge where target might be.
GB seems to be done in dry sand or set to 500 if you know your in neutral sand and you can balance the salt balance over the wet sand and over the water. Read the Suggested Settings for Wet Sand near the back of manual.
The salt balance seems to be able to use the conductivity to help see targets that might get missed and by reducing the sensitivity you are reducing the sampling of the minerals by reducing the size of the field like what happens with the CZ when you reduce the sensitivity.
Mixed mode is the order tones come in. First AM tone be it a low or high tone(ferrous or non as MD sees it) then Disc tone depending where the break is set you could hear a null, anything below 0 or if target falls where the notch is -+2 with the point break set above 0, or a high-low tone if target falls in the 0-15 range or a high tone from 15 to 30. When the break is moved any ABOVE 0 is when the -+ 2 is activated. So if moved to +1 its seems to null out to +3 to 0 (everything below that is out already) If you move the point to say 5 then you would here a high low tone if target falls on 1 or 2 and if target falls on 8 or above you would get a high low or a high tone depending on target. Easy breezy.
Threshold seems to work like a regular MD but you just don't hear it.
If wanting deep targets use AM and if a high tone watch the ID that it gives as whether to dig or not if your not a dig all person. Using disc I would tend to dig just the high low tones 0 to 15 if looking for low conductor targets. Would have to test a large 14k to see if it slips into the high tone range.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/2018 04:37PM by ShovelNose.
December 09, 2018 05:48PM
NASA Tom,
I want one, one of the first that goes out.
Sign me up.
And maybe you can tell us how the paying for the units will be handled please.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/2018 05:48PM by tnsharpshooter.
December 09, 2018 06:11PM
Thanks for the manual now I have something to read.
December 09, 2018 06:26PM
I see there is -30 to 30 are targets going to be grouped tight?
December 09, 2018 06:51PM
* The production model units have now been better engineered for Culpeper dirt...…. (and without compromising any other performance levels).

GM = The conductive bandwidth of the non-ferrous targets …. ranges from 1-30. This is a average span. Remember...… detectors like the CZ only has 6 icons for non-ferrous targets.
December 10, 2018 12:58AM

NASA-Tom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> * I am focusing on this unit..... as if it is only
> a salt-water hunter. It is not! Another primary in
> tent is...… bad dirt relic hunting!

They got me at " ...Another primary intent is...… bad dirt relic hunting!"
Re: ON THE HORIZON Intro DVD or online video?
December 11, 2018 06:31AM
Hi NASA Tom,
Any chance you will make a short presentation DVD, or an online video to introduce, explain, demonstrate the MDT 8000?
Cheers,
Drew.
December 11, 2018 08:00AM
Druid Wrote:
> Hi NASA Tom,
> Any chance you will make a short presentation DVD,
> or an online video to introduce, explain, demonstr
> ate the MDT 8000?
> Cheers,
> Drew.

That might give me more incentive to buy one. I'm still unclear on what this machine will do, primarily on the wet sand.

The price put it a little over my budget but if I could have the basics explained and see it perform I might have to get one. I'm still not completely convinced that it will outperform the present multi frequency technology. If it has that extra inch or so of depth that we need and can accurately identify iron, then I'm sold.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/2018 08:21AM by Badger in NH.
December 11, 2018 01:11PM
I have not the time to do a video; yet, I believe that some videos will be done.... in the next coming weeks.
December 11, 2018 02:00PM
With the recent tread on EMI it makes me wonder how does the 8000 deal with EMI. Not knowing the tech of the unit I notice no way to adjust frequencies. May not effect it like current VLF units. I'm not familiar with PI units and if EMI is a problem with them. Is that not a concern with this new tech or does it handle it upon start up?
December 11, 2018 02:21PM
It's not perfect with EMI; yet, has substantial filters/mitigation.
December 11, 2018 10:40PM
LET'S LAUNCH! It's time. All items received; all items 'dialed-in'. Many units boxed up. BUT...…. I want to launch in discrete fashion. Let me have a few wet-salt beach hunters first. Beach hunters that may/may-not wade into (no greater than) waist-deep water. Send me a PM...… and type me your mailing address TWICE. (This really helps clear possible typo's).

We actually made a soft-launch a few days ago..... as …. some detectors are already in the mail system. Folks may start to see 'posts' shortly...….. for those folks that want to wait/see...….. for another incremental instillment of warm-fuzzies. Understood. Zero prob's. (((That's "why" I did this))).
December 11, 2018 11:34PM
I've been relic hunting for over twenty years & would like to try one out sometime in the near future. I'm getting older & would like a light machine that handles bad ground like a pi machine. Will different size search coils be available?
December 11, 2018 11:49PM
No.…. and probably never.,.,.,.,.,. for very discrete justification.
December 12, 2018 12:10AM
Can't wait to see some hunt (not test) videos, I know this is going to be a special machine.
December 12, 2018 06:55AM
As counter intuitive as it sounds, I don't think the lack of secondary coils will be an issue. I have all three coils for the 800 and am very happy with them, but I have no inclination to get a different coil for the 8000. I know it's subjective, but I personally don't see the need of a smaller coil or a bigger one. You really have to run this detector to appreciate what it is and does. The 11x9 inch coil is exceptionally well designed.

Past(or)Tom
Using a Legend, a Deus 2, an Equinox 800, a Tarsacci MDT 8000, & a few others...
with my beloved, fading Corgi, Sadie
December 12, 2018 09:57AM
The elliptical shape should help with the low conductor ID if that would apply with this tech. I have had a fair amount of chains found with a 10" elliptical concentric coil. It truly will be a Merry Christmas.

Time to climb into the waders and thermals.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/12/2018 10:12AM by ShovelNose.
December 12, 2018 10:59AM
Ok thanks. I was just wondering.
December 12, 2018 01:53PM
good luck!!!
December 12, 2018 02:51PM
Can't wait to see some videos and if there is any modulation.
December 12, 2018 03:35PM
Pasttom Wrote:
> As counter intuitive as it sounds, I don't think t
> he lack of secondary coils will be an issue. I ha
> ve all three coils for the 800 and am very happy w
> ith them, but I have no inclination to get a diffe
> rent coil for the 8000. I know it's subjective, b
> ut I personally don't see the need of a smaller co
> il or a bigger one. You really have to run this d
> etector to appreciate what it is and does. The 11
> x9 inch coil is exceptionally well designed.

Tom have you and or biglry had a chance to do any inland hunting with the MDT8000? I'm up the coast from you in Hollister and our coastal and inland ground is very similar.

Thanks,

El