Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

ON THE HORIZON = MDT-8000

Posted by NASA-Tom 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: ON THE HORIZON
December 16, 2018 12:54PM
Please send a test unit to me for testing in and around my home base which is ground zero Culpeper Va. If it works here it can work any where in my opinion. If not no worry. Thanks
December 16, 2018 01:02PM
Some follow up info.
Seems my unit didn’t come with protective covering on screen. Have already applied protective covering. After installation viewing is nice.
Menu is very easy to navigate.
I can say this only after playing with for 20 minutes.
Hardest part of navigation will be when selecting black sand and salt. Still very easy.
Coil bolt holds coil in place with little torque.

At turn on battery level voltage and serial number with software revision number comes in screen. My unit has teens serial number and seems it has revision 1 software loaded.

This detector how it feels and handles is deemed “precision instrument” imo. Haven’t run any unit that has the feel this unit does. Not CTX, not Deus, not anything.
Very rigid yet light with exacting feedback as far as sweeping vs holding detector. NO SLOP whatsoever.
Camlocks are adjustable for how tight they clamp. So with some use break in, some small adjustment may be necessary. Folks shouldn’t overdo how tight they adjust them for closure.

Tones, you saw in video where I said sounds similar to AKA Sorex and MFT detector units. This is a good thing imo. I have stated on this forum and elsewhere how much I liked the tones on those units. This sound here though not in all modes.

More later. Need to put more time on.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2018 01:09PM by tnsharpshooter.
December 16, 2018 01:16PM
texkinzee……. We've got folks testing the unit in Culpeper...….. to (collectively) add to the already-existing database. We're waiting for more data to be sent to us!
There's some International testing taking place also.
December 16, 2018 01:32PM
Here is me thinking out loud. Tom D has always said we are gold ring hunting with the current tech. For the most part hes right even thou we do find some small gold obviously to a certain weight/size. Some will have to get over im not going to find gold chains with this machine?.... or maybe even those pieces of gold that fall thru the scoop. But others ..... they are looking for weight totals at the end of the year. Its not a PI...... so you have disc ( thou it lack notching), multi tones, and a TID screen. But.... if its finding a 8 gram gold ring at 21"..... id say it get a heck of a lot more than a bit of depth over the Xcal. Take a tape measure out and think about it. Id guess but on the average mens gold bands are around 5 grams. Deeper than an Xcal.... so what gold will we be missing between the two? Now at this time i cant get it wet beyond waist deep....... but there can be a lot of gold from there to shore..... as well as a lot of sand. During the winter months hunting can be more difficult here on the Gulf.... more sand, waves, wind.... can i get down to those targets even with a little more depth? So if it finds what an Xcal finds..... deeper than an Xcal...... how does it handle the obvious....bottle caps and pesty two tone iron? Will i be digging more or less trash than an Xcal? An Xcal ..... just hates iron. How fast is the recovery? Like it or not most water machines are all compared to the Xcal when salt water hunting.... and now days that Xcal is used in PP mode. Price ...... well most beach machines pay for themselves..... even a CTX fairly quickly if used. Warranty.... 1 year.. ouch there. Much like the Xcal..... that can be a short season up North. Build...... well sounds good.... the Xcal can be fragile and need not only repairs, but mods that put it WELL above this machines price.
December 16, 2018 01:43PM
tnsharpshooter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Short video on components.
> [m.youtube.com]

I'm pretty sure Tarsacci is pronounced Tarsachi. smiling smiley
December 16, 2018 01:53PM
Badger in NH Wrote:
> tnsharpshooter Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Short video on components.
> > [m.youtube.com]
>
>
> I'm pretty sure Tarsacci is pronounced Tarsachi.
> smiling smiley

I am doing he best I can Badger. Certainly don’t mean to demean the detector by mispronunciation.
As far as the back pack goes.
My take.
Makes unit easier to pack, protects better during shipment. If folks would have seen what Indid yesterday on the fed ex truck. A monster heavy big box was on top of my unit in box. Box my unit in was collapsed somewhat. I saw and said oh my. My unit apparently escaped unhurt. Those little styrofoam thingies are a mess. They are not used. And the rods don’t have to have holding fixtures built into box. So back pack to me is KISS principle. A two fer here. Simple protection plus an additional product I can indeed use. If not in the field I can store my detector in at home or when traveling.
December 16, 2018 02:46PM
TNSS I like your pronunciation a hell of a lot better than my butchering if it. Can't wait for your videos. Thanks for your efforts they are appreciated.

El
December 16, 2018 03:36PM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
> texkinzee……. We've got folks testing the unit in C
> ulpeper...….. to (collectively) add to the already
> -existing database. We're waiting for more data to
> be sent to us!
> There's some International testing taking place al
> so.

OK thanks.
December 16, 2018 03:39PM
Hopefully I'll have one of these machines this week. I mainly beach and relic hunt, rarely ever go to parks and such The Tarsacci should be a good addition to the detector arsenal I already have. My impression of the machine so far is that it's going to be a niche detector. Sounds like it won't be much use in a park, first because of the trash and second because nobody should be digging 14 inch plus holes in a park. Also won't be much use in a trashy ghost town, my Equinox or Dues will fill that ticket. Open fields and beaches where a big shovel or scoop can be used is where the Tarsacci will shine. Not even sure I will use it in the surf too much as deep targets are too hard to recover. I've learned from past experience in the surf that if you can't get the target out in a couple of scoops it's not worth it. I'm really hoping that it's going to be a good bad dirt relic hunting machine to fill the void between the VLF's that discriminate but get little depth and the GPX that has crude discrimination but great depth. Culpeper should be a good test and I'll take mine to the next DIV. But I've got dirt here in the west almost as bad as Culpeper I plan to test it in. Plowed fields have put many relics just out of reach here as VLF's can only get about 6" in my dirt. Been using a GPX on the fields for a few years now, it will be interesting to see how the Tarsacci will stack up.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2018 11:52PM by Abenson.
December 16, 2018 06:35PM
I'm still stuck inside and inside for me means serious EMI so I've not been able to do any air testing as of yet. One thing I have noticed while waving various targets in front of the coil is that the MIX mode, although digital, is very similar the Nautilus DMC detectors in the way it functions. That is to say the longer the all metal report is before the disc report starts the greater the likelihood that the target is ferrous. The best way I can think of to describe this in text is to use "_" to represent the all metal signal and "0" to represent the disc signal.

Using this method ferrous targets (to include crown caps) look/sound like:
______0______

While non-ferrous targets will look/sound like
__0__ if that makes sense.

IMO this is a great feature and one I have missed since I sold my last Nauty. The down side to the Nautilus machines is how difficult they are to use in bad dirt. Hopefully with the MDT the bad dirt element will be removed from the equation.
December 16, 2018 10:01PM
Video showing some coin ID and 2 gold rings.

[m.youtube.com]
December 16, 2018 11:11PM
tnsharpshooter Wrote:
> Video showing some coin ID and 2 gold rings.
>
> [m.youtube.com]

It would have been nice to hear what iron sounds like.
December 16, 2018 11:15PM
Badger in NH Wrote:
> tnsharpshooter Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Video showing some coin ID and 2 gold rings.
> >
> > [m.youtube.com]
>
>
> It would have been nice to hear what iron sounds l
> ike.

You will get to in just a little while.
Video coming soon.
December 16, 2018 11:48PM
tnsharpshooter Wrote:
> Video showing some coin ID and 2 gold rings.
>
> [m.youtube.com]

Love the tones on the Tarsacci, thanks for doing the video.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2018 11:49PM by Abenson.
December 17, 2018 01:01AM
Here is video showing the tones of detector based on mode in a few scenarios

[m.youtube.com]
December 17, 2018 01:17AM
Yes, that's what I wanted to hear. I like the sounds. The iron really helps put all the tones into perspective.

All I'm interested in is ferrous vs non-ferrous. At the beach, if it's non-ferrous, I dig it.

I'd be happy if the screen had just two numbers. (0 for ferrous and 1 for non-ferrous)

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/2018 01:32AM by Badger in NH.
December 17, 2018 01:26AM
Badger in NH Wrote:
> Yes, that's what I wanted to hear. I like the soun
> ds. The iron really helps put all the tones into p
> erspective.
>
> .

I will likely do another video sweeping some various sized iron. Remember this iron would be considered disturbed, so innthe wild buried for years your mileage may vary.
Some in ground test videos are coming too eventually.
Some junk targets swept video to include the infamous bottlecaps.
I’ll try an honor all requests.
I had already done the video above with the tones Badger when you asked about.
I realize some folks may be weathered in with and without the units. And curiosity may be on the rise as far as this detector. So I will share here. Hope folks don’t Get teed off. This is the forum where the detector debuted as far as info and where a person comes to buy.

Cheers
December 17, 2018 01:32AM
Appreciate all that you are doing.

Thanks,

El
December 17, 2018 01:36AM
I'll be buying it primarily as a wet sand beach detector. If it turns out to be capable of detecting deep relics on land, that would be great too.
December 17, 2018 01:47AM
Like to see more of the Disc mode. The high conductor tone is strange to me. Put a nail next to it and see if it changes. Mixed mode sounds like the one for the beach giving the most tonal input.
December 17, 2018 02:16AM
I agree going to watch video again in DISC mode with the waves crashing I am willing to bet it will be hard to hear.

ShovelNose Wrote:
> Like to see more of the Disc mode. The high conduc
> tor tone is strange to me. Put a nail next to it a
> nd see if it changes. Mixed mode sounds like the o
> ne for the beach giving the most tonal input.
December 17, 2018 02:37AM
ShovelNose Wrote:
> Like to see more of the Disc mode. The high conduc
> tor tone is strange to me. Put a nail next to it a
> nd see if it changes. Mixed mode sounds like the o
> ne for the beach giving the most tonal input.

Wil do tomorrow. Will compare all modes over same scenario so folks can listen.
December 17, 2018 03:47AM
Thank you for taking time to film and post the videos, tnsharpshooter.
December 17, 2018 04:03AM
Mark in NC Wrote:
> Thank you for taking time to film and post the vid
> eos, tnsharpshooter.

This is a twofer for me. I get to share and learn the unit’s tendencies. The video above with tones. The nail and coin test was actually extemporaneous test. Folks actually saw the first time I did the test. I was thinking higher freq would do better. And it did. This camera saves me some typing lol.

Mark you are welcome. Others too here.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/2018 04:05AM by tnsharpshooter.
December 17, 2018 04:34AM
I know that it's early in the testing process but it would be interesting to see what the tones and ID's would be like using a normal full swing with a normal speed for that unit. Kind of like not knowing the target is there.

Thanks again for the videos.

El
December 17, 2018 06:35AM
Nice to see the 8000 in action, thanks TNSS for the videos thumbs down
December 17, 2018 08:55AM
Reminds me of my AKA Sorex Pro .
December 17, 2018 09:14AM
@tnsharpshooter i made some suggestion on the video comment in youtube, could you try to id trash aluminium pull tab, bottle cap , iron , could you use more the disc mode too ? because the mixed mode is like the hardest to understand since it play in sequence all metal and disc mode .

What i dont understand with the nail you got , in disc it should be silent from what i read from the manual, for most of the mode the tone are low for ferrous, for low conductor high low for 0 - 15 and high for 16 - 30
December 17, 2018 10:23AM
youdig Wrote:
> @tnsharpshooter i made some suggestion on the vide
> o comment in youtube, could you try to id trash
> aluminium pull tab, bottle cap , iron , could yo
> u use more the disc mode too ? because the mixed m
> ode is like the hardest to understand since it pla
> y in sequence all metal and disc mode .
>
> What i dont understand with the nail you got , in
> disc it should be silent from what i read from the
> manual, for most of the mode the tone are low for
> ferrous, for low conductor high low for 0 - 15 and
> high for 16 - 30
I believe it was all done in mix mode and only in Disc when he showed the weird(low volume) high tone the MD produced on a high conductor. The nail should be silent if below the set point according to manual. Im hoping to find that in Disc. a bottle cap may pop or null when you wiggle coil off target exposing the iron in the cap. The part that I wonder about the set point is how I would use it. With a 4 point spread if moved above 0 it seems like a large notch area for 30 points of disc. If you notch out tabs you will miss rings. Notch out penny area and might miss the larger class rings. I'm basing this on standard range of conductivity and experience with other MD's. I will be adding a wireless module as soon as possible.
December 17, 2018 11:58AM
I’ll try and do some tests and video. In mixed mode the detector will always give tone over either ferrous or nonferrous. Assuming it is detectable (in range). The disc just sets up how the metal will be reported. This talking here is on more isolated ferrrous and nonferrous targets, not closer located ferrous/nonferous. Where the detector may not be able to discern the nonferrous from ferrous (masker).
So we’ll see today. This detector I think folks will notice when in the salt water, sand, beach. The mixed mode tone on lower conductors is ear catching. Most gold rings (detectable) should be giving this (multi tone) when swept and other lower conductive junk unfortunately.

Will look at some smaller foil today. To see how it IDs.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/2018 12:05PM by tnsharpshooter.