Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

ON THE HORIZON = MDT-8000

Posted by NASA-Tom 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: ON THE HORIZON
December 20, 2018 06:22PM
Still no word on where mine is on the tracking. Left Tracey Ca. after sitting for 3 days in that city. The last post was 4:42 am Tuesday and nothing. Must have gone Fed Ex horseback. If by ground it may end up in Memphis before directed this way so that is where I may see another time stamp. Nothing ships direct here.
Missing a prime time with full moon tides and the winds hitting hard. Going hunting with the ET but maybe the shipping department should paid a couple bucks more and gone air. Hope double boxed its insured for value at that shipping rate and method. Can you tell I'm a little irritated that it is going to take 8 days. Then maybe another to charge batteries which puts me in the Christmas time where the holiday and family will be around for several days which means the unit will sit in box another week.

Is anyone else getting one just for Beach hunting? Seems everyone that has theirs is a dirt hunters.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2018 06:38PM by ShovelNose.
December 20, 2018 06:37PM
I would of paid more for quicker shipping.
December 20, 2018 06:46PM
GreenMeanie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I would of paid more for quicker shipping.

Had I known I would have.
December 20, 2018 07:42PM
SN...... a good majority of the people on here are dirt hunters. As always some of us here in Fl are on the fence still just because its cant get dunked.....and for the most part we hunt year around. This isnt recent drop time....... but with the longer tide swings and super low tides which can really pull stuff off the beach or create a lot more waves...... this is when this type of machine is worthy of a good look. So..... for me its not for small gold, cant get dunked, and i dont decide to do just dry/wet sand or water...... i look at the conditions when i get there. Im not as trusting as Tom to take 3 detectors with me either. Seems like a lot of potential for gold thou. keep us informed....... and maybe a few pictures or testing of some smaller gold. It obviously will find some small gold if it finds small rings.......just what size and grams is the mystery thus far.
December 20, 2018 08:56PM
Andrew...…. due to the uniqueness of your mega-salt conditions ……. it's simply a matter of trying the different settings/tools. I would start with a Sens of 5..... and I also believe that a proper Salt Balance...… may allow for better ID, better stability, and...… possibly...… a higher Sens setting.
Your test-garden data is congruent with expectations …… and should express good relic performance in bad dirt. This unit 'should' trump VLF's in bad dirt.
Do take a little time to learn the unit...…. its attributes & limitations.

JR.…… I'm STILL waiting for a delivery also. The Christmas mail system sure is slow. Looks like your unit will be delivered in 24-hours.

Dew...… yes ….. you can dunk the unit.,.,.,.,.,., up to 1.5-Meters deep.... for 1/2-hour. This comes from Mfr. (Not me). I know you'd like to be fully submerged for 4 hours at a time!
December 20, 2018 09:36PM
So... how long does it have to be out of the water before I can run back in there Tom at that 1 1/2 meters? That depth...is it from the box? Where does he think the weak point is? I’d guess that batter box. How does one determine you were in to long or it went to deep? Crazy people test the limits...I know people who had to know...and took the CTX diving.
December 20, 2018 09:48PM
ESTIMATED time of delivery is 24hrs(Friday) and that was posted Saturday of last week so with no bases to go on that is still in the air It will have to be unloaded somewhere before here so who knows where its at. Will update if see a change. None as of 4:00pm Thursday

Tom I bought it from you so I thought it was coming from Fla.and not California or would have asked about shipping.

I know your unit will stay at 5 ft. for 30 minutes but what if there is a mfg. defect and I put in water first day it leaks and that can happen will you warranty it? Not trying to be difficult but it can and does happen. Just seems like the units that got out the door early are the guys that dirt fish. Big Larry and Pastor Tom have been using prototypes but the only water(wet sand) guys so far. Said they would post finds but didn't and no post lately if finding anything. Just curious as no other water guys have them and if do have not said.
December 20, 2018 11:05PM
ShovelNose Wrote:
> ESTIMATED time of delivery is 24hrs(Friday) and th
> at was posted Saturday of last week so with no bas
> es to go on that is still in the air It will have
> to be unloaded somewhere before here so who knows
> where its at. Will update if see a change. None as
> of 4:00pm Thursday
>
> Tom I bought it from you so I thought it was comin
> g from Fla.and not California or would have asked
> about shipping.
>
> I know your unit will stay at 5 ft. for 30 minutes
> but what if there is a mfg. defect and I put in wa
> ter first day it leaks and that can happen will yo
> u warranty it? Not trying to be difficult but it c
> an and does happen. Just seems like the units that
> got out the door early are the guys that dirt fish
> . Big Larry and Pastor Tom have been using prototy
> pes but the only water(wet sand) guys so far. Said
> they would post finds but didn't and no post latel
> y if finding anything. Just curious as no other wa
> ter guys have them and if do have not said.a

ShovelNose,
If shipped fed ex like my unit was, fed ex likely won’t update until it reaches hub where is it out on truck for home delivery. Keep in mind it is Christmas time. Busy, busy time. Hopefully you’ll see update in the morning early or late tonite.

See this.
[www.fedex.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2018 11:56PM by tnsharpshooter.
December 20, 2018 11:13PM
dewcon4414 Wrote:
> So... how long does it have to be out of the water
> before I can run back in there Tom at that 1 1/2 m
> eters? That depth...is it from the box? Where d
> oes he think the weak point is? I’d guess that ba
> tter box. How does one determine you were in to l
> ong or it went to deep? Crazy people test the lim
> its...I know people who had to know...and took the
> CTX diving.

I think the idea was. Say you are hunting in knee deep to close to waist deep water. And you drop the unit it can be recovered quickly and suffer no damage. Not a bad thing. Pony up Dew and buy one. And tell folks how it does.

Btw, so far seems NASA Tom’s description as far as it applies to unit overall (not necessarily salt water application) ((I can’t do here)),,seems though his painting a pic of this detector here in the thread. So far I have seen a lot of what he has described.

I don’t think NASA-Tom would be sticking his neck out on HIS forum selling any new model detector really if it DIDN’T PERFORM.
My story and I’m sticking to it.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2018 11:34PM by tnsharpshooter.
December 21, 2018 12:17AM
Tenn...Tom knows me and how I hunt...and how long I hunt with that box under water. I agree if Tom is sticking his neck out he is passionate about it and believes in it. Him being here in Fl and being a beach hunter most of us watch for his evaluation on anything water related.
December 21, 2018 02:16AM
I’m ready to pull the trigger on the Tarsacci when they get more caught up on orders and shipping, and I’m primarily a salt water hunter. However, I certainly plan to take it with me on my relic hunting trip to VA in the spring. Salt water beach hunters nowadays need every advantage we can get, and getting a few inches of depth and stability beyond current typical detecting depth is a huge advantage on any beach.
Admittedly, I don’t have much to go on yet but I can say from listening to tnsharpshooter’s videos and audios, it appears that this detector (potentially) seems to have much more audio clarity and info available for identifying types and sizes of ferrous and non-ferrous metals in the ground than anything I’ve heard prior. Imagine knowing with 90-100% certainty of what your coil is swinging over (even multiple targets, both ferrous and non-ferrous) before you dig it. Is this the ‘groundbreaking’ aspect of the Tarsacci, in addition to established depth gains? Time (or Tom) will tell.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2018 02:21AM by Gary in Daytona.
December 21, 2018 08:05AM
I'll just be hunting the wet sand with mine and probably some dirt as well. We don't do much saltwater hunting in NH. Eight to ten foot tides make getting wet unnecessary.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to get the machine. I'm just waiting til after Christmas.

December 21, 2018 09:24AM
"I don’t think NASA-Tom would be sticking his neck out on HIS forum selling any new model detector really if it DIDN’T PERFORM"
I agree with you 100% or I would not have stuck my neck out. Just need a little warranty info cleared up. It will at face value do all I need for my style of hunting,
The package landed in Charlotte and on its way south it looks good for a late 6 to 9pm delivery. Beaches are getting hammered today with 35 to 40 mph winds. Just have to dodge storms.
December 21, 2018 11:03AM
To be honest .... the reason i havent PONIED UP on this one is because the Nox changed my focus toward smaller gold and machines that MIGHT get it in the water not just wet/dry sand. I believe that machine is close if companies like ML who has the tech and money to produce it would. So when Tom and Jag started talking Manta...... that got my attention. I agree, Toms made it very clear as to what this machine can/can not do..... and if its anything like the machine ive talked about..... this thing would be a killer deep gold machine if it wasnt limited for water hunting. We have discussed small or micro gold hunting...... seems most dont really want to be chasing targets........ so this machine would surprise some of those hunters because it sounds very very capable. Toms been very straight forward about every machine hes tested...... he pulls no punches. Around here right now ..... seems it still comes down to....... can we get to the targets regardless of how deep the machine goes? Then add Red Tide and winter hunting....... this could be a game changer if you are looking for an edge right now. Serious choices being considered by most...... Toms machine, TDI, or wait on the Manta and compare.

Let me add....... what if the machine was NOT warrantied as waterproof? BUT..... offered a cheap warranty for those machines that MIGHT get water damage....... Iphones do it and it appears to be the same type of IP rating. Obviously a change from the norm.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2018 01:14PM by dewcon4414.
December 21, 2018 11:23AM
No can do.Need to see it dig targets in Culpeper first.
December 21, 2018 01:47PM
As far as warranty goes...…. we've got your back.,.,.,.,.,.,., as long as you don't do anything careless/reckless with the unit. If ANYTHING goes wrong with it...… we NEED to know! If the unit floods...…. we need to know the exact (data collection) conditions...… such as: Control box 2-feet deep..... for 3 hours..... in calm water. The unit is IP68. . . . . which is 30-minutes at 1.5-meters deep. IP68 does not state how long it must be out of the water...… before re-submergence. I would speculate the Achilles heel would be the IP68 speaker. Then...… the coil & headphone connector...… IF not properly snugged.

(Christmas-FedEx frustrations)!
Although...… today...… several units now show: "Out for delivery". Let's see if this holds true.

Yes..... the units are shipped directly from the Mfr. …… and not from Florida.
(((When you start adding distributors ….. then dealers: product cost goes up))).
December 21, 2018 02:36PM
I know a multi use machine MIGHT need a speaker.... but ive just NEVER used it for various reasons..... and on a water machine... well why add it? If you are using the M12 for the coils...... id dare say thats not an issue, they have been tested a good bit to include on the Xcal. Which by the way their O rings are IP68...... and it allegedly can be used down to 200'. 9 times out of 10 water machines where you have to open the box for battery is where it leaks..... most of the time its US. Tom ........ doesnt taking the box 2' deep for 3 hours constitute doing something careless? Unless its dunked Tom.....wont it take a much longer time to know you have an issue? Get just ONE wet for a few hours Tom....find out. Tom.....have you seen anything with a rating IP69? This is like you said up to the manufacturer like stated here: [www.dsmt.com] I also know for a small manufacturer just starting up...... this could represent a huge expense that could put him out of business before he starts. I know im giving you grief Tom..... and i dont mean to since i dont have a dog in this fight (yet).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2018 04:16PM by dewcon4414.
December 21, 2018 03:19PM
Tom:
Now the secret is out, could the thread title be updated to:
ON THE HORIZON: TARSACCI MDT-8000
or whatever is deemed suitable?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2018 04:25PM by Pimento.
December 21, 2018 04:13PM
dewcon4414 Wrote:
> I know a multi use machine MIGHT need a speaker...
> . but ive just NEVER used it for various reasons..
> ... and on a water machine... well why add it?
> If you are using the M12 for the coils...... id da
> re say thats not an issue, they have been tested a
> good bit to include on the Xcal. Which by the wa
> y their O rings are IP68...... and it allegedly ca
> n be used down to 200'. Tom ........ doesnt ta
> king the box 2' deep for 3 hours constitute doing
> something careless? Unless its dunked Tom.....wo
> nt it take a much longer time to know you have an
> issue? Get just ONE wet for a few hours Tom....fi
> nd out. Tom.....have you seen anything with a rat
> ing IP69? This is like you said up to the manufac
> turer like stated here: [www.dsmt.com]
> rces/ip-rating-chart/ I also know for a small ma
> nufacturer just starting up...... this could repre
> sent a huge expense that could put him out of busi
> ness before he starts. I know im giving you grie
> f Tom..... and i dont mean to since i dont have a
> dog in this fight (yet).

I've been saying for years that speakers should be an optional plug in accessory and not built in. It's so much simpler and wouldn't interfere with the waterproof/resistant integrity of the machine. Speakers rarely if ever get used. So why have them built into the detector?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2018 04:19PM by Badger in NH.
December 21, 2018 04:14PM
'Anyone testing in my neck of the woods Tom?
It'd be nice to see it in action!
Where / how can one be bought?'

Des D

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2018 04:53PM by Des D.
December 21, 2018 05:04PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2018 05:07PM by Badger in NH.
December 21, 2018 05:13PM
Video I did.
US silver half dollar on edge. Sensitivity at level 7.

[m.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2018 05:14PM by tnsharpshooter.
December 21, 2018 06:23PM
Video I did. Nickel and dime on top of each other. Tested both ways.
[m.youtube.com]

Smaller foil test video coming soon here.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2018 06:24PM by tnsharpshooter.
December 21, 2018 07:18PM
Could not see your screen. What was half id on edge?
December 21, 2018 07:26PM
Video showing some foil swept.

[m.youtube.com]
December 21, 2018 07:40PM
ShovelNose Wrote:
> Could not see your screen. What was half id on edg
> e?

Did another short video just for you.
Screen can be seen loads better.
Will post here in a few.

[m.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2018 07:56PM by tnsharpshooter.
December 21, 2018 08:58PM
Junk targets ID video.
[m.youtube.com]
December 21, 2018 09:35PM
US half dime on edge video

[m.youtube.com]
December 21, 2018 09:35PM
Dew...… I think maybe we should revert back...…. and keep the Tarsacci out of the water...…. not to be submerged. This sure would rid: too much vague/variability concerns. Yes..... it may limit more against sales; yet...… make the definition much more simplified.

Pimento..... will do. ((( As...… the horizon: has arrived ))).

Badger...… yes...… external speakers (normally) hardly ever get used...…. except maybe for demonstrations. The next Gen Tarsacci is slated for no speaker.

Des...…. what State are you in?

TNSS..... thanks for all of these videos. And THANKS for keeping the videos down to 2-4 minutes each. ((( I cannot afford the time to watch 15-minute videos! ))). You should test one of your rusty bottle caps...… with varying coil-sweep speeds. Enlightening!
December 21, 2018 10:14PM
Next Generation? gulp lol