Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

ON THE HORIZON = MDT-8000

Posted by NASA-Tom 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: ON THE HORIZON
December 21, 2018 10:17PM
Gold ring on edge video.
[m.youtube.com]
December 21, 2018 10:33PM
I will do additional videos/audios on bottle caps in coming days. Get this higher wind out of here.
These vids posted on this forum using Tarsacci are actually done very close to directly under single phase power lines. Actually in the corner of where the main lines split off and go up the hill.
These vids are for general observation to see Tarsucci behavior. Targets in the dirt and or salt water sand may be different. In fact some of the actual air test distances mentioned in these vids may be longer (deeper) than what was shown in videos with equivalent settings (GB setting would be an exception).

Something else I’ll mention here. I say in some of the videos when running mixed mode, that I get (hear) a signal. Remember mixed mode does give AM portion of signal when a target is swept. Some of the actual signal I heard and reported on could have been AM only, no disc signal.
In saying this I will try to do a few videos comparing mixed mode to disc mode so maybe folks can see on some targrt scensrios they indeed may hear A.M. tone only with no disc signal.

I actually like doing the videos even though they can be time consuming. Again anyone wanting anything particular done via video I’ll try to do.
December 21, 2018 11:04PM
Tom.... no might be better than yes maybe. Keep it simple and reduce repairs.
December 21, 2018 11:15PM
Video. Under the power lines and street light ON.
[m.youtube.com]
December 22, 2018 12:47AM
Well checked tracking number after waiting all day. Delivery Exception. What does that mean? New estimated time for delivery Saturday sometime and still a chance that might be Monday. Signature required. Yea got another day or 2 to sit and wait. 3rd class ground? Oh well and the next generation without speakers already being designed and I don't have mine yet. Missing some of the best conditions because sitting and waiting. if I get it with family here Sunday and everything else I will get a chance to open box and get out sometime but wife already laid law down so I'll say my Merry Christmas and see you guys next year. JR
December 22, 2018 01:05AM
ShovelNose Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well checked tracking number after waiting all day
> . Delivery Exception. What does that mean? New est
> imated time for delivery Saturday sometime and sti
> ll a chance that might be Monday. Signature requir
> ed. Yea got another day or 2 to sit and wait. 3rd
> class ground? Oh well and the next generation with
> out speakers already being designed and I don't ha
> ve mine yet. Missing some of the best conditions b
> ecause sitting and waiting. if I get it with famil
> y here Sunday and everything else I will get a cha
> nce to open box and get out sometime but wife alre
> ady laid law down so I'll say my Merry Christmas a
> nd see you guys next year. JR

Bummer. I mighta got lucky getting mine when I did.
December 22, 2018 01:56AM
"Delivery Exception" is the excuse FedEx always gives me here. They do that when they are too lazy to try and deliver a package, especially when signature is required. They want you to reroute the package to be delivered at their dropoff hubs and then YOU go pick it up and sign for it. I despise FedEx. I've waited at home all day for a package that was out for delivery, only to see it updated with that delivery exception note. Except mine had an extra note saying that nobody was home when attempt was made. Nobody came here at all. They didn't even drive down the road I live on. They were just towards the end of their day and didn't want to even attempt it. Sorry you are having trouble with the shipping woes.

I'm ready to see the unit in the real world.
December 22, 2018 02:11AM
Daniel Tn Wrote:
> "Delivery Exception" is the excuse FedEx always gi
> ves me here. They do that when they are too lazy t
> o try and deliver a package, especially when signa
> ture is required. They want you to reroute the pac
> kage to be delivered at their dropoff hubs and the
> n YOU go pick it up and sign for it. I despise Fe
> dEx. I've waited at home all day for a package th
> at was out for delivery, only to see it updated wi
> th that delivery exception note. Except mine had
> an extra note saying that nobody was home when att
> empt was made. Nobody came here at all. They did
> n't even drive down the road I live on. They were
> just towards the end of their day and didn't want
> to even attempt it. Sorry you are having trouble
> with the shipping woes.
>
> I'm ready to see the unit in the real world.

This time of year is the crazy train of delivery just be glad the haven't lost it or ran it over with 1 of their trucks.
December 22, 2018 02:21AM
Made it out to the Great Salt Lake beaches today for about 4 hours. This time I went to the beach adjacent to the marina where tourists visit and swim. This beach gets hammered with metal detectors all summer long so what is left is deeper.

The beaches here are very mineralized and salty (3 times the ocean) so very tough conditions for most detectors, I hunted the water for about an hour and found the only way I could get it to run quiet was to run threshold at -4 and sensitivity at 3. Figured out how to salinity balance the detector as well, suggested setting of 27 wasn't far off of what I actually balanced at, 26. The rest of the time was spend in the wet sand where I ran the sensitivity up to 6 and threshold at -2 and it ran very quiet. Mixed mode was used the entire hunt and I've decided I like that mode the best.

Finds besides the usually junk included 3 buffalo nickles, an aluminum tax token, 2 swim cap buckles and a small silver ring. Most of the stuff was recovered between 7-10 inches deep. I found that sweep speed is very important on those deeper targets.

I've used many detectors over the years on the Great Salt Lake and found quite a few gold rings. Now I know I only have a few hours on the Tarsacci but based on the other detectors I've used in the past I feel the performance of the Tarsacci falls short of GPX and TDI Pro but is at least 1 or maybe 2 inches deeper than all the Minelab BBS/FBS, all the CZ machines and the Tesoro Sandshark. IMO it's about equal in depth to the Garrett Infinium or Whites Surfmaster but has discrimination, a BIG plus. As I get more time on the Tarsacci I might figure out settings that will squeeze a few more inches out of it but overall I'm pleased with it's performance. It's performance fits nicely between my Equinox and GPX.

Going out again with it tomorrow, hopefully I get a gold ring.
December 22, 2018 04:20AM
Tarsacci in action at the beach

YouTube
December 22, 2018 05:08AM
JR.….. I hardly know what to say about FedEx. I'm REALLY wanting you to get your new toy...… and for many reasons.

TNSS..... Yes..... it is my findings that the Tarsacci is very resilient to EMI..... and your test was well captured on video...… and has high value.

Andrew..... That is NOT a silver ring..... when it is ID'ing as a nickel! . . . . . unless it is broke open. Check it out carefully! I'm stunned as to 'how' corrosive your 3X salt conditions treat your metallic targets! Yes; per expectations; yet, still startled. I'm also VERY glad that you were able to run the Sens substantially higher.... once Salt Balanced and Grnd Balanced. In time..... you'll find ways to increase performance a bit more.... in these real-world conditions. In your conditions …. the Tarsacci should better all of the VLF's...….. and even 'challenge' the PI's; yet, with full ID to boot. This is one of the primary reasons 'why' I'm wanting other seasoned detectorists to GET their unit!
December 22, 2018 05:37AM
Thanks for sharing video Andrew.
What freqs did you use to hunt the beach?
Be interesting to see what ring is made of?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2018 05:41AM by tnsharpshooter.
December 22, 2018 10:59AM
Abenson Wrote:
> Tarsacci in action at the beach
>
> YouTube

Hi, i commented your video, it would be great if you can do what i suggested in comment.
best regards.
December 22, 2018 12:02PM
Stuff has changed in a short time. No MD is not here but family not coming. Sister in-law hit going thru intersection. All are OK but very sore and car is toast. Wife going up Monday evening and I get to stay home with dogs. Dang the bad luck lol I was so ill at Fed Ex. Had opportunity to make some extra cash yesterday and had to turn it down. I wish I knew a neighbor I could count on to sign for it but ones I know are gone or tied up. Things looking up for getting out Sunday if it should come today. Batteries have to charge and no telling when it will arrive.

I had the same problem with them when getting a package from KellyCo. Stayed at house watching movies all day with brother and as it got late checked tracking number to find it was delivered. Not at my house though driver said it was. Ended up driver wanted off early and just lied about it in order to get off. It showed up on porch over night and I saw porch light come on but thought it would be a cat.

I am so pumped about this MD unlike any before. I don't expect it to make rings but as hard as beaches hunted here any extra edge will help. The sand here for the most is neutral. If in dry sand the EQ would go 0 on GB and maybe 8 to 9 in the wet sand. Things right now being found that was pushed up by the bulldozers building the walls to trap pumped sand. Living on the SC/NC border I will be going mostly on NC beaches from Sunset to Topsail beach so lots of places to go that have not had 3' of sand pumped on them. Hope to show at both clubs this next month so lots of folks interested.
December 22, 2018 01:25PM
JR.….. if you have regular golden/yellow sand...….. just like Florida...….. you can probably (easily) put your Grnd Bal on '500'...… and leave it there. Then...… the only thing would be to Salt Balance your unit to the wet slope (wet sand). AND...… I'm guessing that the Salt Balance will be '27'...…. or within 1-digit of '27'. This would be on 18-Khz. . . . which is the most sensitive Freq ...to most gold. 12-Khz 'may' be the better freq for very large gold rings.
Now...… if only FedEx would come through!!!
December 22, 2018 01:47PM
I am wanting to see some Culpeper area use feedback on this detector?
Why?
My soil obviously not as mineralized as there.
But to me seems Tarsacci (having freq selection) is not like say Deus, Impact, Anfibio - these detectors seem have to be run higher freq in bad dirt to detect to their deepest capabilities in disc modes.(lower, mid, and higher conductors).
Meaning Tarsacci seems the detector’s freq selected parallels the conductivity to actual target buried deeper, even as the mineral levels rise to greater levels.
I suspect CW bullets 12 kHz use deepest.

Like I said need to see Culpeper feedback.
If my hunch is right this would mean multiple hunts required to get all the deeper yet detectable in a site -depending on if such items should exist deeper.
Granted use of 18khz does seem to be better performer at separating when ferrous is introduced into equation.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see some higher conductive targets had at Culpeper using Tarsacci, these could have easily been passed on by say with GPX users.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2018 01:57PM by tnsharpshooter.
December 22, 2018 01:52PM
Thanks for sharing the video, good to see in live digs on beach. One question, how did you adjust your sweep speed for the deep targets?
If you could mention the mode and settings when you first start the video, that would be very helpful. Thanks again.

Abenson Wrote:
> Tarsacci in action at the beach
>
> YouTube
Re: ON THE HORIZON = MDT-8000
December 22, 2018 02:47PM
Tom-Yes after some of the crap was cleaned off the ring it appears it is GOLD! low K like 8 or 9. I'll put in the tumbler later and post a pic.

TNSS- I ran 12 KHz most of the hunt, 18 KHz is a little too noisy in all the salt.

Gary- a good medium sweep speed seems to work best with the Tarsacci on the deeper targets, too slow and nothing, too fast the same. shallow targets are more forgiving. I will do some more video today and give settings. I just spent so much time yesterday dialing the Tarsacci into my conditions that the videos were just a quick after thought.

For anyone who gets the Tarsacci I would suggest that once you locate a target in the wild you spend some time sweeping over it and adjusting settings to see how it changes the performance. I did thins and messed with everything, KHZ, sensitivity, threshold, GB, blacksand, Salinity, sweep speed. etc ,etc. You will be surprised at how the performance changes when settings are adjusted, maybe not so much in mild conditions but in harsh soils and salt it changes things for the better.
December 22, 2018 02:55PM
Thanks for responding Andrew.
Sounds like you made a nice find (gold ring small) considering the conditions Tarsacci had to deal with.
December 22, 2018 06:01PM
Tom I called Fed Ex a few moments ago and got the auto attendant run a round. For some reason its coming out of Florence SC which is 76 miles from here. If they hold it I have to drive 150 miles round trip. Trying but may not be able to avoid that. There is an option for doing that so if it doesn't get here I will be doing that. The way the tracking number reads if they pulled it from truck this morning and put on another for delivery. So I thought I would be early but they probably have me at end of route again. Not sure how shipped but even allowing for Christmas its off. Ask how your guy is shipping cause its got to be the cheapest way. I have had 2 come from west coast this week and both here in 3 and 4 days and standard shipped. Both UPS!
December 22, 2018 06:42PM
ShovelNose Wrote:
> Tom I called Fed Ex a few moments ago and got the
> auto attendant run a round. For some reason its co
> ming out of Florence SC which is 76 miles from her
> e. If they hold it I have to drive 150 miles round
> trip. Trying but may not be able to avoid that. Th
> ere is an option for doing that so if it doesn't g
> et here I will be doing that. The way the tracking
> number reads if they pulled it from truck this mor
> ning and put on another for delivery. So I thought
> I would be early but they probably have me at end
> of route again. Not sure how shipped but even allo
> wing for Christmas its off. Ask how your guy is sh
> ipping cause its got to be the cheapest way. I hav
> e had 2 come from west coast this week and both he
> re in 3 and 4 days and standard shipped. Both UPS!
> .

My Unit was shipped out on a Tuesday and I got on following Saturday.. But your package is mixed in the Christmas rush. Mine may have been but not as much. Your package could have been misrouted too by carrier. S—- happens.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2018 06:46PM by tnsharpshooter.
December 22, 2018 08:29PM
It has landed! Had my frt. door open so could see out storm door and I see a reflection of something moving on front porch. The FE guy had dropped the package and ran. No signature needed after all I guess.Climbing in truck when I got his attention. Truck unmarked and box surely too small for a MD. Said he was Fed Ex and bye!

Wow more compact than pictures led me to think. Batteries on charge. Something I like is the feel. Solid. No slop. Watch tension on clamps. Well balanced. Compare it to the feel of swinging a Deus. Not quite as lite as the 9" but better than it with the 11. Head unit is compact but can see screen easily. Makes E Trac look like a behemoth next to it. Coil Cover goes on and off easily enough. Even cuff is smaller than picture made me think. Didn't think I would like pigtail but it works great on freedom of movement with earbuds connected. Will be going wireless as soon as I can. Just me. Headphones supplied(8 ohms?) are comfortable but not sure yet how they sound. I like Killer Bees but that's why they make so many different ones. Will have to cut screen saver same dimensions as the screen size. Hate a scratch on my screens. Handle feels good but is slick feeling and sure sand would wear on it quick. Wrap it in boxers tape to protect it and gives a sure grip. Never used a backpack but will try it in cooler weather. Batteries are now flashing one light so I could be able to do some target testing before bed. I will be pounding the beaches tomorrow.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2018 08:30PM by ShovelNose.
December 22, 2018 10:50PM
Just got back from a 4 hour hunt at the Great Salt Lake. Took a buddy with me and he was running his GPX, took mine along as well but I'll just talk about the Tarsacci finds.

1st I just wanted to put something to rest that I saw on another forum. Apparently some believe it is illegal to metal detect the Great Salt Lake, NOT TRUE. The location of the old Saltair Resort is off limits, but who cares the grounds around the resort have been dug up over and over since the 1970's.. The Great Salt Lake Marina is governed by State Parks & Recreation, each park decides what they allow. I have personally asked and have permission to hunt the beaches around the marina.

Now on to more important stuff.

I'm getting better with the Tarsacci and this machine is actually pretty fun to use. Setting were similar to the last hunt and I'm started to recognize those deep targets. I videoed 2 (I'll post later) that were pushing 11 inches which really surprised me. As much as I've used the Equinox at this beach I can pretty much guarantee 11 inches is not happening on the that machine. When you start to think about the depth that's achieved with the coil that's on the Tarsacci is amazing.

Junk found was similar to last time-scraps of aluminum, bullets, shotgun hulls, etc.
Good stuff was 3 nickles, a dime, a bent penny, another ring (most likely silver this time), a snap/button and part of a suspender clip.

Note to new users......check out those faint signals that sound like it could be the Tarsacci falsing. Those faint signals can be deep targets. I found this out today, I just thought it was the salt falsing WRONG.
December 22, 2018 11:51PM
Abenson Wrote:
> Just got back from a 4 hour hunt at the Great Salt
> Lake. Took a buddy with me and he was running his
> GPX, took mine along as well but I'll just talk ab
> out the Tarsacci finds.
>
> 1st I just wanted to put something to rest that I
> saw on another forum. Apparently some believe it i
> s illegal to metal detect the Great Salt Lake, NOT
> TRUE. The location of the old Saltair Resort is of
> f limits, but who cares the grounds around the res
> ort have been dug up over and over since the 1970'
> s.. The Great Salt Lake Marina is governed by Stat
> e Parks & Recreation, each park decides what they
> allow. I have personally asked and have permission
> to hunt the beaches around the marina.
>
> Now on to more important stuff.
>
> I'm getting better with the Tarsacci and this mach
> ine is actually pretty fun to use. Setting were si
> milar to the last hunt and I'm started to recogniz
> e those deep targets. I videoed 2 (I'll post later
> ) that were pushing 11 inches which really surpris
> ed me. As much as I've used the Equinox at this be
> ach I can pretty much guarantee 11 inches is not h
> appening on the that machine. When you start to th
> ink about the depth that's achieved with the coil
> that's on the Tarsacci is amazing.
>
> Junk found was similar to last time-scraps of alum
> inum, bullets, shotgun hulls, etc.
> Good stuff was 3 nickles, a dime, a bent penny, an
> other ring (most likely silver this time), a snap/
> button and part of a suspender clip.
>
> Note to new users......check out those faint signa
> ls that sound like it could be the Tarsacci falsin
> g. Those faint signals can be deep targets. I foun
> d this out today, I just thought it was the salt f
> alsing WRONG.

Good stuff Andrew.
Yeah, my Equniox at a site today would not hit 10” dime using all detect modes, all settings I could think of. I could get it to bark on it one out of every 15sweeps if I swung the coil 100mph while in gold 1mode. Tarsacci hitting it 6.4khz sens 7 threshold -2.
December 23, 2018 01:35AM
Tarsacci on another beach hunt.

YouTube
December 23, 2018 02:46AM
Abenson Wrote:
> Tarsacci on another beach hunt.
>
> YouTube

Nice finds Andrew. Now, the big question. Although you are new with unit, on these 2 hunts on this beach, how many ferrous targets did you dig in total?
Forgot to ask.
How close was your bud using GPX to you while you hunted?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2018 02:51AM by tnsharpshooter.
December 23, 2018 02:48AM
Congrats. Glad to hear. HH.

ShovelNose Wrote:
> It has landed! Had my frt. door open so could see
> out storm door and I see a reflection of something
> moving on front porch. The FE guy had dropped the
> package and ran. No signature needed after all I g
> uess.Climbing in truck when I got his attention. T
> ruck unmarked and box surely too small for a MD. S
> aid he was Fed Ex and bye!
>
> Wow more compact than pictures led me to think. Ba
> tteries on charge. Something I like is the feel. S
> olid. No slop. Watch tension on clamps. Well balan
> ced. Compare it to the feel of swinging a Deus. No
> t quite as lite as the 9" but better than it with
> the 11. Head unit is compact but can see screen e
> asily. Makes E Trac look like a behemoth next to i
> t. Coil Cover goes on and off easily enough. Even
> cuff is smaller than picture made me think. Didn'
> t think I would like pigtail but it works great on
> freedom of movement with earbuds connected. Will b
> e going wireless as soon as I can. Just me. Headp
> hones supplied(8 ohms?) are comfortable but not su
> re yet how they sound. I like Killer Bees but that
> 's why they make so many different ones. Will have
> to cut screen saver same dimensions as the screen
> size. Hate a scratch on my screens. Handle feels
> good but is slick feeling and sure sand would wear
> on it quick. Wrap it in boxers tape to protect it
> and gives a sure grip. Never used a backpack but w
> ill try it in cooler weather. Batteries are now fl
> ashing one light so I could be able to do some tar
> get testing before bed. I will be pounding the bea
> ches tomorrow.
December 23, 2018 03:38AM
tnsharpshooter Wrote:
> Abenson Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Tarsacci on another beach hunt.
> >
> > YouTube
>
>
> Nice finds Andrew. Now, the big question. Alth
> ough you are new with unit, on these 2 hunts on th
> is beach, how many ferrous targets did you dig in
> total?
> Forgot to ask.
> How close was your bud using GPX to you while you
> hunted?

No ferrous target were dug. GPX could get within 10 feet and not cause any interference. I actually think the inference I was getting was from my z-lynk system.
December 23, 2018 03:54AM
relics&rings Wrote:
> tnsharpshooter Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Abenson Wrote:
> > ------------------------------------------------
> --
> > -----
> > > Tarsacci on another beach hunt.
> > >
> > > YouTube[/url
> ]
> >
> >
> > Nice finds Andrew. Now, the big question. Alth
> > ough you are new with unit, on these 2 hunts on
> th
> > is beach, how many ferrous targets did you dig i
> n
> > total?
> > Forgot to ask.
> > How close was your bud using GPX to you while yo
> u
> > hunted?
>
> No ferrous target were dug. GPX could get within 1
> 0 feet and not cause any interference. I actually
> think the inference I was getting was from my z-ly
> nk system.

I suspected as much. I dug some bent nails the other day. What I noticed was in AM I would get a positive id reading in one small sector angle wise when sweeping. I was experimenting here though. I Like the way the unit deals with ferrous so far tonally and ID wise/tone nuance.
Looks like you are on your way with yours.
One thing I will be watching for. And you may not have considered. Wonder how many silver rings exist at salt lake beaches. Being that high conductors sound more or less like nail on GPX. Lower run freq on Tarsacci May sniff some out deep there.
Oh I forgot to say. I am seeing (hearing) when AM gets cut off on the end (shorter) , I have found this can be a clue to fringe depth detectable nonferous. And with better coil sweep/position management I can get disc signal to squeak through a lot of times. I like you love the mixed mode for locating.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2018 04:08AM by tnsharpshooter.
December 23, 2018 04:09AM
JR.…… IT'S ABOUT TIME!!! But now..... take your time in learning the unit.

Andrew...… I can easily see your learning-curve going up. You will start to see your 'confidence' level ...going up..... with each successive hunt. It's really not that hard of a unit to learn; yet, it's parameters are different..... and the way it talks/reports....is also different. Hence; a 'different' learning-curve. Tarsacci can sound somewhat akin to sonar.