Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

ON THE HORIZON = MDT-8000

Posted by NASA-Tom 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: ON THE HORIZON = MDT-8000
January 13, 2019 10:58AM
How about we start talking settings and what they specificly do or wont do? Like the black sand setting and just when it should be used. So.... is it in blk sand or salt one or the other all the time? when in blk sand.....is there a need to use tracking on most beaches? Im curious what settings you find working on your beach.....what made you choose them? Have you used it in say knee deep water over there..... if so did you find the need to alter the salt setting once you GBed it initially? On your beach......are you pretty much now turn on and go once you got your settings..... or are you finding each trip to the beach you have to make a lot of adjustments? Which freq are you finding works with the coil IN the water....... can 18 and 12 still be used there or do you loose a ton of depth? So using the various sounds.... there is only one that can be used when the blk or salt is highlighted? So does blk or salt have to be off to use the other sounds? Where do targets most generally fall when PPing ......or can we still use the wiggle back method effectively? Can the GB be performed in near the surf? Have you found one GB works better than the other?

lastly..... in your surf how do you like the coil connection back on the rear of the coil? Ive never really liked that because in current or a lot of water movement i was constantly adjusting for coil flip making it difficult to maintain coil control...... and that adjustment caused more wear on my coil ears.
January 14, 2019 12:47AM
dewcon4414 since no one else has answered about settings I'll tell you what I have experienced. Black sand and salt are going to be site specific, you'll use salt balance for sure on any saltwater beach. Black sand should be activated if salt balance has been done and you still can't get the Tarsacci to quiet down or if you know there is black sand on your beaches. Once you setup GB, black sand and salt balance you shouldn't have to adjust those settings if returning to the same area. I've tried tracking but unless you have constantly changing ground conditions, fixed GB will get you more depth. I personally like auto GB the best. You should GB on dry sand not wet sand if possible. You can use any mode (disc. AM or mixed) with blk sand or salt on.

I personally have found I like 12 KHz the best on my beach, 18 doesn't work for me it's too chatty. Once I get in the water I found I like 6.4 the best only because I'm dealing with mega salt. I don't really see any depth lose with one KHz setting vs the other but the higher the KHz the more sensitive it is to low conductors. My other settings on wet sand are for the most part sensitivity 7, black sand ON, Salinity 29, threshold -2, 12 KHz disc 0 and mixed mode. I don't use pinpointing or the wiggle method I've just gotten used to about where the target is under the coil, plus I dig big wide holes.

The Tarsacci has given me no problems in the water (about 6 hrs worth) with the way the coil is mounted, in fact it's one of the best detectors I've used in the water. Although I don't have big surf to deal with, 2 foot waves at the most.
January 14, 2019 12:58AM
Got out today and took a few detectors along to compare signals. Video has 2 .58 cal minie balls being dug in the wild (yes I spelled minie wrong in the beginning of the video)

The video compares the GPX, Equinox, Deus, and Tarsacci. I have many hours on all the detectors except the Tarsacci so the fact that the Tarsacci does so well against them says something about it, IMO.

Youtube detector comparision
January 14, 2019 03:28AM
Thanks for the vid we need more like these and on the beach too.

Abenson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Got out today and took a few detectors along to co
> mpare signals. Video has 2 .58 cal minie balls bei
> ng dug in the wild (yes I spelled minie wrong in t
> he beginning of the video)
>
> The video compares the GPX, Equinox, Deus, and Tar
> sacci. I have many hours on all the detectors exce
> pt the Tarsacci so the fact that the Tarsacci does
> so well against them says something about it, IMO.
>
> [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTcsv_u57K8&f
> eature=youtu.be]Youtube detector comparision[/url]
Delete
January 14, 2019 07:09AM
Delete

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2019 08:03AM by Badger in NH.
January 14, 2019 10:42AM
Interesting you are opt to GB in the dry sand.... which with most machines will give put you at 0 GB and some even have to us a factory GB here. Ill use the Nox as an example here..... it will GB at 0 in the dry sand.... near the water GB will be somewhere around 4. Do you think the salt GB is compensating for the difference? The difference in settling down... is it possible if you did your GB nearer the water it would be more accurate and settled? 6.4 khz.... if thats the case i can see why you might get a little more depth yet loose some sensitivity to smaller gold. I know the single freq machine some use here runs at 14kzh after water balancing..... so 12 should work. Honestly ..... right now i cant say there is a lot of difference in VLF machines in chest deep water...... but then its gets to be more of a feel.... could i have found that with the other machines. How many scoops out there is only as good as your PPing skills. Im in the Gulf so we have some of the best conditions for hunting a good part of the year.

That video should impress those relic hunters. Thou my settings are a bit different for the beach id say that was a good showing for what the Nox might do. If you get to the beach id like to see the same test mid-wet sand with a little water in the hole on a small ring.
January 14, 2019 03:58PM
Manual for the Tarsacci says GB should be done on dry sand and salt balance should be done in the water or on wet sand. I believe the reason for this (and I could be wrong) is so the Tarsacci can better compensate for salt. I've tried GB on the wet sand and there is a difference in numbers, but it seems to be more stable if you GB on the dry sand first before doing a salt balance or adjusting any other settings.

I've had my Equinox and Tarsacci in the water the same day and as you know it's nearly impossible to do a comparison unless you've got a buddy running one machine. I can't say which is deeper in the water but I can tell you the Tarsacci is deeper in the wet sand by at least an inch maybe 2. It's pretty cold here right now but the next time I go to the beach I'm going to take a small ring and a 14K necklace and see how the Tarsacci does with them vs the Equinox.

As far as relics go I will be using the Tarsacci when not using my GPX as I've proven to myself it's better than the other VLF's I currently own.
January 14, 2019 07:00PM
I do know how difficult it is to get a good read on depth in the water or oat meal.... even with a buddy. GB can be crazy on a beach. Nox is a good example....dry sand can be 0... get it damp and it can be in the 40's..... mid-slope can be in the teens.... then drop to 4 at the waters edge. Good ole Fl lol. When you say its a couple inches deeper than the Nox in the wet sand...... on medium targets? I noticed you mentioned those tiny pieces of aluminum..... not quite the same thing as a piece of gold. Look forward to your testing some gold and if possible a good video...... thanks for the information.
January 15, 2019 03:09AM
MDT-8000 headphone pinout

Here is the MDT-8000 headphone pinout diagram.
January 15, 2019 10:55AM
Thanks for posting that Tom should help those doing their phones...... now to go along with that.....how many wires are in your extension cable 2? Im also curious ..... how difficult is it to just find your extention connector so so a pair of phones could be plugged directly in? Forgive me for asking, but did the machine come with a pair of phone? I know you were having problems with the supplier.
January 15, 2019 09:27PM
Any videos on this machine yet?

"It's only when we lost everything, that we are free to do anything"
January 15, 2019 11:43PM
Beyonder-Pa Wrote:
> Any videos on this machine yet?

Yes, they are all on YouTube.

[www.google.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2019 11:44PM by Badger in NH.
January 16, 2019 12:26AM
I thought when Mike posted his last video the Tarsacci might of been in it lol.
Maybe next time smiling smiley

Badger in NH Wrote:
> Beyonder-Pa Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Any videos on this machine yet?
>
>
> Yes, they are all on YouTube.
>
> [www.google.com];
> newwindow=1&source=lnms&tbm=vid&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiC
> zdms-_DfAhWOMd8KHVQNCmoQ_AUIEygA&biw=1280&bih=625
>
> .
January 16, 2019 01:30AM
GreenMeanie Wrote:
> I thought when Mike posted his last video the Tars
> acci might of been in it lol.
> Maybe next time smiling smiley
>
>
> Badger in NH Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Beyonder-Pa Wrote:
> > ------------------------------------------------
> --
> > -----
> > > Any videos on this machine yet?
> >
> >
> > Yes, they are all on YouTube.
> >
> > [www.google.com]
> 0&
> > newwindow=1&source=lnms&tbm=vid&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEw
> iC
> > zdms-_DfAhWOMd8KHVQNCmoQ_AUIEygA&biw=1280&bih=62
> 5
> >
> > .

Nope, not yet. Between weather and work, I haven't had much opportunity to get to the beach. I've only used it twice so far. Can't wait to get out again.

January 16, 2019 03:02AM
Abenson Wrote:
> Got out today and took a few detectors along to compare signals. Video has 2 .58 cal minie balls being dug in the wild (yes I spelled minie wrong in the beginning of the video)
> The video compares the GPX, Equinox, Deus, and Tarsacci. I have many hours on all the detectors except the Tarsacci so the fact that the Tarsacci does so well against them says something about it, IMO.
> Youtube detector comparision

Thanks for a real in the field comparison video test that shows how well the Tarsacci with its 11"x 9" DD performed up against the Pulse Induction GPX with its round 11" DD.
Look forward to further comparisons if you so desire.
January 16, 2019 10:19AM
Hello

What's the price of one unit?
January 16, 2019 10:34AM
saku Wrote:
> Hello
>
> What's the price of one unit?

$1530.00 shipping included.

January 17, 2019 02:48AM
Dew...…. yes..... the unit comes with a set of above-average headphones (that are not waterproof).

Also...…. the Tarsacci employs a common off-the-shelf M8 headphone connector. We pondered using the M12...… but it was too big/bulky on the small housing. With the (provided) wiring diagram...… you could wire your own headset to a M8 connector..... and then connect it to the Tarsacci.

Andrew...…. thanks for the video! It's good to have this fairly large aggregate volume of different videos...…. from a variety of conditions...…. and detectorists.
cdv
January 17, 2019 10:52AM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
> Dew...…. yes..... the unit comes with a set of abo
> ve-average headphones (that are not waterproof).
>
> Also...…. the Tarsacci employs a common off-the-sh
> elf M8 headphone connector. We pondered using the
> M12...… but it was too big/bulky on the small hous
> ing. With the (provided) wiring diagram...… you co
> uld wire your own headset to a M8 connector..... a
> nd then connect it to the Tarsacci.
>
> Andrew...…. thanks for the video! It's good to hav
> e this fairly large aggregate volume of different
> videos...…. from a variety of conditions...…. and
> detectorists.

Tom, thank you for the open flow of info on the new Tarsacci detector. Even though I don't own one (yet) having this kind of info and the open forum to provide it is a plus for many! Also, it is so nice to see the machine uses an "off the shelf" connector for the headphones!

Cliff
January 17, 2019 12:32PM
Where can the M8 connectors be purchased?. I like the comfort of the supplied headphones but like the sound from my 150 ohm G. Ghosts.
January 17, 2019 01:20PM
Is anyone going wireless? I've been using my Trond bluetooth headphones along with the Trond bluetooth transmitter. I did a two hour hunt the other day and it worked perfect.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2019 01:39PM by Badger in NH.
January 17, 2019 02:11PM
John...… these M8 connectors can be acquired through just about any electrical/electronic outfitter...……………… McMaster-Carr comes to mind first. I'm also willing to bet Radio Shack also has them. I'm half-tempted to include one with each new unit; yet, we are really squeezing to keep the cost of this unit down.

Cliff...… Yes...… we are REALLY pushing to keep everything 'above-board'...…. in the publics eye. , . , . , . , . so as to 'hide nothing'. A very concerted effort with this engineering evolution. It is NOT about; 'making the share-holders happy'...…… or making some corporate entity appeased/happy. (Because; there is none!...…. hence; the 18-years Tarsacci prototyping). In fact; it is not even about 'money'. It's about a couple of physicists/engineers with a sickening burning-passion for busting through plateau's ….. to the next: "New Age of Discovery". Yes. Sure. We need 'survival money'..... in order to stay afloat; yet, this burning-passion far out-trumps the money.
It is not good marketing for me to say this; yet, there is value-added data herein: I feel (know) the Tarsacci MDT-8000 is simply "Generation-1". It is indeed a leap in technology; not simply a tangential twist to existing foray. Exactly because of this; this unit is a architectural base-platform unto which future/further 'launch' will emanate. There are also other (not MDT related) conceptual notions on the proverbial plate. But...…. this may be years down the road. (Hopefully.... not another 18 years).
The motto is: accelerated technological advancement.
January 17, 2019 03:14PM
Badger-Yes I've gone wireless with the Garrett z-lynk system it works great on the Tarsacci I even like the Trasacci supplied earphones with the system, to me they sound better than most other phone I have except the Killer B's.
January 17, 2019 04:23PM
SN..... most phones now with speakers are using audiosears 150ohms... how they are sealed or the ear pads seems to be the difference in sound more than anything. Moser ...digi-key.... most of the major on line electronic sites should have those connectors.

Good to see someone more concerned about the hobby and what they can to with new tech.
January 17, 2019 10:54PM
Abenson Wrote:
> Badger-Yes I've gone wireless with the Garrett z-l
> ynk system it works great on the Tarsacci I even l
> ike the Trasacci supplied earphones with the syste
> m, to me they sound better than most other phone I
> have except the Killer B's.

I like the wired phones that come with the Tarsacci very much. No complaints there at all. I'm just so used to wireless that it feels weird being connected to the detector.

January 18, 2019 12:16AM
dewcon4414 Wrote:
> Gary have u talked to Tony about making one

No sure haven’t.
January 18, 2019 12:43AM
If it’s just an M8 Tony would likely add it for you on your phones.
January 18, 2019 02:54PM
Hi guys,

Finally got to read the Instruction Manual (short n sweet) and was particularly interested in the "Salinity Balancing"
I remember testing the "CTX" in the sea (waist high depth) and doing a 'ground balance' procedure 'slowly up and down' from a foot high above the surface to surface level and of course it couldn't be done!
The machine would 'dee-daw', 'dee-daw' the whole time until SENS was reduced from 11 down to 7. I can't remember whether or not I managed to cancel out the 'dee-daw' sound? I'll have to check my video records for that.
So, I'd love to give the "MDT-8000" a go!

Des D

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2019 02:58PM by Des D.
January 19, 2019 10:50AM
Des..... the AquaSound does it UNDER water and you pump it just like GB well above the hard pan. Couple of knob twists back and forth while pumping the coil until she smooths out. One of the reasons i asked Tom about GB above the water. Des...... was that before or after they finally added the salt balance needed? This is an interesting concept allowing us to adjust the salt setting....... one wonders how varied this is from place to place? Then...... is it best that we do it over allowing the machine to? What was the advantage of allowing us to do the salt setting? I know with normal GB..... in most cases the gurus say..... auto GB and go.
January 19, 2019 02:32PM
Dew...….. just a couple of notes:

Due to the electronic architect of the Tarsacci……. it does not 'compensate'////'phase-shift' out the wet-salt...….,,,,,,,,, like all other wet-salt detectors. If you phase-shift/compensate for wet-salt...…. this must be performed in the Ground Balance circuitry. Since the Tarsacci does not employ 'phase-shift' methodology; wet-salt must then be separately handled...… which is an attribute.
To give you an example of how varied the Salt Balance changes...... from site-to-site: On most of the Eastern Seaboard of the United States...…… it appears the Tarsacci will Salt Balance at '27'. Here in Florida...….. from Jacksonville beaches …. down to Sebastian beaches...….. I'm landing on '26' or '27'...… for Salt Balance on these beaches. (((This is 'why' we have selected '27' as the factory preset for Salt Balance))).