Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

ON THE HORIZON = MDT-8000

Posted by NASA-Tom 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: ON THE HORIZON = MDT-8000
March 26, 2019 02:26PM
Hey Paul, were you able to do any relic hunting this past week end or even venture to the river by your house to see if any drops were left behind by other machines?

El

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2019 02:27PM by Elbert.
March 26, 2019 04:11PM
Double post,

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2019 04:27PM by Apolonio (CA).
March 26, 2019 04:25PM
Elbert Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hey Paul, were you able to do any relic hunting th
> is past week end or even venture to the river by y
> our house to see if any drops were left behind by
> other machines?
>
> El

Hello El,

Didn’t make it to the river, need to get a nice pair of waders water is very cold.
Did put in about 6-8 hours relic hunting, and about an hour of park hunting at an old park. Tarsacci is incredible, very deep. At the park, dug a 10” v-nickel before work Saturday. Although the MDT is not designed for deep coin park hunting, it does give me enough information to go after the deeper coins VLF and the Explorers are missing. I treat the MDT as I do the Pi for park huntzing, learn and master the raw information it gives.

On the two relic hunts this weekend, One hunt was with Denny the other by myself. Denny was using the ATX and T2, i stuck with the MDT. One side of the river has terrible mineralization, even the ATX struggles here as does the TDI. The MDT pulled out many pistol balls, another half part of a military 2-piece button matching the other piece dug last weekend. On the otherside of river dug more pistol balls and half of a Chinese cache coin with most targets deep.

The MDT is seeing targets masked by poor soil, even extreamly small conductive targets and that’s an understatement, very tiny targets that’s are usually masked when using other top end.

The Tarsacci has it’s place, it’s not perfect by any means has it’s short comings especially in iron. For relic hunting away from iron, it clobbers my other top end. Starting to look like it’ll be a deep park turf detector, but user needs to treat the MDT like they would a Pi. For a coin or jewelry hunting Parks or school fields, don’t see why not the recovery speed is fast slams tiny targets well.

Wish I had more time to hunt, in the short period of using the MDT it just keeps getting better. Incredible detector, Love it! And I haven’t even hit the water yet, cant wait!

Take care El,
Paul

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2019 04:29PM by Apolonio (CA).
March 26, 2019 06:56PM
Was able to solder in the waterproof cord to a temporary headset this weekend, waterproof up to headset which is fine for now. Going to remove and solder this same cord to a Whites MX-Sport waterproof headset soon, this deteknix headset sounds great and like the extra length cord but going completely waterproof need a proper waterproof headset.

Paul

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2019 06:59PM by Apolonio (CA).
March 26, 2019 08:18PM
My suggestion....order a solderless M8 connector and do it right.
March 27, 2019 06:29AM
Hello dewcon,

I am doing it right, this connector cord setup minus the headset is for the Tarsacci. It’s a full length cord with no interruptions from connector to were it connects to headset, it’s made for the MDT for water hunting.

Picked it up from Dimitar, the MDT designer.

Take care,

Paul
March 27, 2019 10:14AM
Awwww thought you were just re attacking the smaller cable as snows to a different set of phones.
March 27, 2019 07:04PM
Hello dewcon,

Here’s the final waterproof setup for the MDT, went with a set of MX-Sport waterproof phones. Audio is good, now ready for water.

These were originally modified for the Equniox, since I’ll be using the Tarsacci more often swiched this set of phones over to the MDT.

Paul

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2019 07:05PM by Apolonio (CA).
March 27, 2019 07:12PM
Looking very good. I was lucky enough to also have gotten one of those cables which I put on a pair I’d been using with my Nox too. All ready to move some water....enjoy
March 28, 2019 12:05AM
Paul...… I'm still stunned that you are using the Tarsacci in a park.... with fairly bad minerals...... hunting for old/deep coins...… and having success. Kudos! That was never the Tarsacci's intended purpose; yet/however...…. !
March 28, 2019 01:11AM
Hello Tom,

I’m enjoying the MDT, yes indeed I know the Tarsacci was never intended for deep park turf coins. It does have its raw language alerting me a possibility of a deep coin, coming off Pi’s for park hunting has helped me listen for these type of deep signals.

I’ll share more later, having so much fun with the MDT it’s truly an amazing detector. A local hunting friend is a witness to my recent hunts, We are impressed the MDT is seeing finds our top end VLF are missing. Plus, the Tarsacci is out hunting my TDI and my friends ATX in our type of farm land soil. .

My GPX 5000 is still the top performer, but it weighs a ton compared with the MDT. Very excited, just keeps getting better and better and I haven’t even hit water yet smiling smiley

Thanks Tom!
Paul

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2019 01:13AM by Apolonio (CA).
March 28, 2019 01:43AM
Paul...… do you have a CTX? What I'd REALLY like to know is: How does the Tarsacci compare to the CTX in black sand (or bad minerals)…… with totally honest data. . . . . . good or bad. Anybody own a Tarsacci AND a CTX (with good CTX skillset)?
March 28, 2019 01:56AM
Still have my CTX, and ((considering)) getting a Tarsacci...

Aaron

TARSACCI - “Digging deeper, BEHIND the competition!”
[forums.tarsaccisales.com]
March 28, 2019 06:35AM
Hello Tom,

Sold the CTX several years ago, fintstone purchased it from me. A good local friend still has his CTX, we’re auctually going hunting again this weekend at an old 1870’s courthouse park. We’ll compare signals, and relay this on the forum.

The CTX, and all Explorer models don’t fare well in our inland or fresh water black sand environments or in mineralized soil. Masking reduces depth and sensitivity with the CTX and Explorer models, but west coast ocean wet sand the CTX operates much better. From past experiences, using all Explorer models including the CTX the Tarsacci is by far the better performer, both sensitivity and depth. In the future will compare the Tarsacci against my buddies CTX, when we are in areas with Black sand or tough soil.

Looking forward to using the Tarsacci this weekend

Paul

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2019 06:39AM by Apolonio (CA).
March 28, 2019 07:57AM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
> What I'd REALLY like
> to know is: How does the Tarsacci compare to the C
> TX in black sand (or bad minerals)…… with totally
> honest data. . . . . . good or bad. Anybody own a
> Tarsacci AND a CTX (with good CTX skillset)?

Tom,
I do. (2 CTX's, actually)

I believe my bad ground (in Colorado) is similar to Paul's in CA...it just mercilessly kills VLF's depth.
(I suspect this will be true of any area that has lots of gold. You just don't get the good minerals without the bad.)

The CTX takes a substantial performance hit (depth wise) like the rest...although not quite as badly as some higher freq VLFs...and the CTX tends to hold a more stable/accurate ID.
The Tarsacci seems to go distinctly deeper, and so far, ID seems OK...not as consistent/stable as CTX...but still very usable.

Like Paul, I'm also using it in old parks for coins, and it seems to be fine for that.
In fact, to me it feels like a Coinstrike 2 in many ways...
(In addition to the CTX, I've found a lot of very old silver with that original C$.)

That is also a machine that really likes the dirt here.
In fact, in comparison with the CTX and your old factory C$...the C$ with the 10.5" performs as good as/or slightly better than the CTXs in my dirt.

I'll feel more comfortable sharing comparison observations after I get some more hours in one particular area that I've worked heavily with the CTX.
But for me anyhow, the MDT learning curve was short and intuitive...I like it. It's not perfect, but for a Rev 1.0, it's pretty nice.

mike

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2019 08:01AM by Mike in CO.
March 28, 2019 05:46PM
dewcon4414 Wrote:
> You can contact him at tony@idigbeaches.com
>
> His has PIEZOES.....and they are WATERPROOF. Pie
> zoes are a good choice for AM hunting in or near t
> he water...... but for dirt and disc hunt where yo
> u may not want as much modulation and more volume
> on every target ..... then speakers are a better w
> ay to go.... like the pro golds. Thats my 2 cents
> .
>
> Good post paul..... hope to see some of those dirt
> finds......especially the small targets.

Hello dewcon,

You nailed it, agree PIEZOES for water or near water are great especially AM. Many users may not like the soft audio of piezoes, and probably should stay with speaker headphones. As long as the speaker headset is above water, they’re good to go.

I sacrificed some loudness going with piezoes, but I know out there in wet sand using AM it’ll be beneficial.

Good post dewcon!
Paul
March 28, 2019 05:47PM
Nice going Paul and Mike with the venturing into park hunting.

Paul, do you think Denny will be getting a MDT8000 anytime soon?El
March 28, 2019 07:31PM
Hello El,

Denny is waiting, he’s still using the ATX for water hunting which is around the corner. He’s very interested with the MDT, too early to tell.

And it’s nice seeing others like Mike using the Tarsacci for park hunting, good for Mike. Coming off Pi’s, has taught me a lot pushing the envelope with the Tarsacci limited information on deep park coins. Running Pi’s has helped a great deal with the Tarsacci at old parks, it’s not perfect by any means but if listening carefully and learning what the MDT is telling you in the right hands it’ll score its user deep coins unreachable by other detectors.

Patience, persistence is needed with the Tarsacci. Learn it well, it’ll do a lot more than what it was designed to do.

See you in the near future El, maybe in three weeks.
Paul

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2019 07:32PM by Apolonio (CA).
March 29, 2019 11:11AM
Are you water hunters submerging the head of the unit? If so for how long. Mine got a tiny bit of moisture under the screen by rinsing in the outdoor shower. Demitar was great and sent me a loaner to use while mine was being repaired. It was a lot more sensitive to EMI and I found by backing off to 2 sometimes -3 on the threshold would calm it down. I use 18k but seeing the success of using a lower freq. I am going to experiment with that seeing it seems to be less effected than the higher ones. Mine will be back Saturday and will be out with it on the beaches as soon as possible. Looks like mid week. I've taken on some large electrical jobs and just can't seem to say no when they wave the green backs at me. The growth in Horry County is unbelievable. JR
March 29, 2019 02:24PM
Paul and Mike...…… this is exactly the data I am looking for. (Helps for future projects).
I would also like to know CTX vs MDT wet-salt WITH black-sand interlaced...… performance. . . . . . . should anyone have any experience in this area.
March 29, 2019 03:50PM
ShovelNose Wrote:
> Are you water hunters submerging the head of the u
> nit? If so for how long. Mine got a tiny bit of m
> oisture under the screen by rinsing in the outdoor
> shower. Demitar was great and sent me a loaner to
> use while mine was being repaired. It was a lot mo
> re sensitive to EMI and I found by backing off to
> 2 sometimes -3 on the threshold would calm it down
> . I use 18k but seeing the success of using a lowe
> r freq. I am going to experiment with that seeing
> it seems to be less effected than the higher ones.
> Mine will be back Saturday and will be out with it
> on the beaches as soon as possible. Looks like mid
> week. I've taken on some large electrical jobs and
> just can't seem to say no when they wave the g
> backs at me. The growth in Horry County is unbeli
> evable. JR

Hello JR,

That’s great Dimitar sent you a loner, bummer for the leak but it’s good to hear Dimitar is taking care of the issue. Haven’t dunked the Tarsacci yet, read somewhere 10 minutes is max? Could be wrong, hopefully at least for 10 minutes. Going water hunting soon, both fresh water and ocean wet sand.

Using 18khz will enhance interference or reduce stability in some areas, 12khz seems to work well for me in my area and even 12khz gets the tiny targets. Have tried 18khz several times, really no issues using it but I’m trying to get the deeper high conducive targets too at the relic sites so 12khz works for me.

Good luck,
Paul
March 29, 2019 04:16PM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
> Paul and Mike...…… this is exactly the data I am l
> ooking for. (Helps for future projects).
> I would also like to know CTX vs MDT wet-salt WITH
> black-sand interlaced...… performance. . . . . . .
> should anyone have any experience in this area.

Hello Tom,

From what I’ve read on west coast Tarsacci user experiences, the MDT 8000 is deep! Hopefully get out there to the ocean wet sand sand in 2-3 weeks, will take the TDI, Equniox and MDT 8000. Have an Explorer SE, that’s probably the closest to a CTX so I’ll bring that as well.

Until then, hit the local relic sites.

Paul
March 29, 2019 06:37PM
Got to watch any water pressure.... I’ve gotten water into an Xcal eve with a water hose
March 30, 2019 11:12AM
Demitar has been great. Always available to talk when I had questions. Who else gives this kind of customer service. I received my unit yesterday a day early and the box was smashed. I opened it in front of mail lady to make sure of no damage. None was showing. I understand a gasket and face plate were replaced. He stated he found no concern with working of unit. If I use the 18 K on the beaches I hunt it gets chatty when coil rests on sand and will be trying lower freq. even though I have learned to deal with it and I contribute it to just being a hyper MD though not sure that applies to this tech. It is deep and doesn't false. The new coil seemed to help a lot with stability. I cranked up the loaner on the job site of a 1940 home and just an adjustment of the threshold and unit settled down and the targets were numerous though I didn't dig any. Time was short and just wanted to see how it acted around the power lines. Headed to the beach this pm and again tomorrow. Taking boat out to a local hang out by inlet called Bird Island. While the tide goes has a large up and down change some sand of the top area is where folks have a towel line. JR
March 30, 2019 11:37AM
JR……. I'm just glad that you had the correct timing to open the package IN FRONT of the Postal Carrier...…. and that your unit was perfect.
March 30, 2019 04:48PM
Apolonio (CA) Wrote:
> ShovelNose Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Are you water hunters submerging the head of the
> u
> > nit? If so for how long. Mine got a tiny bit of
> m
> > oisture under the screen by rinsing in the outdo
> or
> > shower. Demitar was great and sent me a loaner t
> o
> > use while mine was being repaired. It was a lot
> mo
> > re sensitive to EMI and I found by backing off t
> o
> > 2 sometimes -3 on the threshold would calm it do
> wn
> > . I use 18k but seeing the success of using a lo
> we
> > r freq. I am going to experiment with that seein
> g
> > it seems to be less effected than the higher one
> s.
> > Mine will be back Saturday and will be out with
> it
> > on the beaches as soon as possible. Looks like m
> id
> > week. I've taken on some large electrical jobs a
> nd
> > just can't seem to say no when they wave the g
> > backs at me. The growth in Horry County is unbe
> li
> > evable. JR
>
> Hello JR,
>
> That’s great Dimitar sent you a loner, bummer for
> the leak but it’s good to hear Dimitar is taking c
> are of the issue. Haven’t dunked the Tarsacci yet
> , read somewhere 10 minutes is max? Could be wrong
> , hopefully at least for 10 minutes. Going water h
> unting soon, both fresh water and ocean wet sand.
>
> Using 18khz will enhance interference or reduce st
> ability in some areas, 12khz seems to work well f
> or me in my area and even 12khz gets the tiny targ
> ets. Have tried 18khz several times, really no iss
> ues using it but I’m trying to get the deeper high
> conducive targets too at the relic sites so 12khz
> works for me.
>
> Good luck,
> Paul

Paul, Tom told me 30 min.s max submersion at 1 1/2 meters with 24 hours between submersions. I have not submerged my unit as of yet.

Carolina
March 30, 2019 08:52PM
Thank you Carolina,

You’re correct, 30 minutes max, was on the phone with Dimitar yesterday. He confirmed 30 minutes, that’s great news.

Hopefully, we’re suppose to head up to gold county. I’ve invited Dimitar to hunt an old 1850’s gold town settlement, will be fun and an opportunity to test the Tarsacci on mineralized soil.

Appreciate the help smiling smiley
Paul
March 31, 2019 05:38PM
Because there is a lot of good data available (now) on the Tarsacci MDT-8000...……. I am going to lift the restrictions on "seasoned detectorists only". If anyone is interested in the MDT...…. just give me a holler. The cost (including shipping & taxes) is $1539
March 31, 2019 07:42PM
What did that mean Tom? Were you saying people other than seasoned hunters can now buy them or those restrictions on getting the machine wet for long periods is now off? I’m waiting on the AQ guys to say just how deep the AQ will get a nickel in DISC.
April 01, 2019 01:06AM
Initially...… we wanted 'seasoned detectorists' to have the Tarsacci (mostly due to: Salt balance.....and.....Grnd Balance being separate controls). Now...……… due to 'favorability-acceptance' of this type of platform…….. we are now good with anyone/all... to acquire the Tarsacci….. if they choose to do so. (((We want everyone to see what this thing will really do))). My (initial imposed restrictions) thoughts were: If 'seasoned' detectorists could not figure this thing out...…. back to the drawing-board we go! Plus...… the seasoned detectorists really paved-the-way (via this forum) for folks of whom have not detected for very long..... to be able to 'catch on' to the operation and simplicity of this unit. All of these intents/tactics enhanced the: "Initial Launch SURVIVABILITY" of a truly Revolutionary product. Over 90% of 'start-up' companies: Fail. I did not want to see a very-sound technological-advancement/product: fail.

You guys know that I scream for one or two TENTHS of an inch of greater depth on any platform. The Tarsacci is about a 1/2-foot deeper on a woman's engagement ring in a wet-salt environment...… (with full/usable stability)……. as compared to the 'Bench' CZ platform. THAT'S Progress. THAT's Revolutionary.