Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

ON THE HORIZON = MDT-8000

Posted by NASA-Tom 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
cdv
Re: ON THE HORIZON = MDT-8000
April 01, 2019 01:41PM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You guys know that I scream for one or two TENTHS
> of an inch of greater depth on any platform. The T
> arsacci is about a 1/2-foot deeper on a woman's en
> gagement ring in a wet-salt environment...… (with
> full/usable stability)……. as compared to the 'Benc
> h' CZ platform. THAT'S Progress. THAT's Revolution
> ary.

Tom, I have to add that once you know how the machine works, it WILL find the harder to get targets also. The MDT just loves round objects and is deep however some have wondered how does this machine do compared to the Equinox on the small targets. Although this earring wasn't particularly deep, it was in the small category. 1.5 grams and only 3" deep in the wet salt sand however IF you take into consideration the fact the earring was found in the OPEN position (not a closed loop), I was extremely happy to find it. I got a bell tone in Mixed mode, the TID however was 00 at first, moving around the target I did get a bouncy 04 at times. This beach is riddled with small aluminum and rivet heads which are a pain BUT they seem to always give a clear TID even at depth (6" or greater) this was acting different so I took a shallow skim off the sand and it was still in the sand.... second small skim scoop and it was out (app. 3"). Marked 585, fake diamond chips but I'll take it for my efforts. You can only get gold on April 1st once a year...unless you are a young buck and go out twice..... :-)

Cliff
April 01, 2019 02:47PM
Very impressive Cliff, especially not being closed!

Aaron

TARSACCI - “Digging deeper, BEHIND the competition!”
[forums.tarsaccisales.com]
April 01, 2019 09:01PM
Cliff,

Congrats on the open-hoop 14K gold! I meant to ask you...… are you able to run Thresh on '0'...… or -1 on your MDT AND environment?
cdv
April 01, 2019 09:19PM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
> Cliff,
>
> Congrats on the open-hoop 14K gold! I meant t
> o ask you...… are you able to run Thresh on '0'...
> … or -1 on your MDT AND environment?

Tom thanks..... so far on all the beaches over here I am now running -1 Threshold and occasionally 0. Sensitivity normally 7 sometimes 8 dependent on daily conditions. Normally I run All Metal however when I have an over abundance of targets and get tired of looking down at the screen, I switch over to Mixed Mode. All hunting lately has been at 9KHz both in the water and wet/dry sand.
The MDT at those settings is amazingly stable with occasional blips of falsing or EMI. When in Mixed Mode I have found that IF you graze the edge of a target with the edge of the electromagnetic footprint of the coil, you will get a "nonferrous" bell tone without the All Metal tone. Most of those targets when investigated turn out to be ferrous targets just outside the reach of the coil. I guess you could correlate what I'm trying to describe as what you would experience with a slight rising of the "threshold" with a PI detector or when in PP with an excal.

The MDT is a very interesting machine!

Cliff
April 02, 2019 01:59AM
Congratulations Cliff on the small 14k earring, you earned this small piece of jewelry.

Congrats !
Paul
April 02, 2019 08:22PM
Heres some of my March stuff. Only got to hunt about 2 weeks last month..... just got home in fact from up North. I put the dime there to show some of the small targets. All of these were found at the first of the Month .... a bit before Spring Break got started.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2019 08:25PM by dewcon4414.
April 02, 2019 08:47PM
Very nice au Dew, congrats!

Hey Dew, looks like you are in competition with LE JAG!

Who needs a AQUAMANTA anyways? Especially when it’s not finding that tiny stuff!

Just got word my 8000 is on the way and it’s gonna be almost 70 at the lake this weekend, and NO SWIMMERS!!!spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Aaron

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2019 10:04PM by Aaron.
April 02, 2019 10:09PM
Alright, I did a good lengthy hunt with Tarsacci unit. Flew solo no crutches, no head to heads. Impressed me today. Ran in an old site where I have spent loads of time in with other units especially Deus.
Will put video together.
If too long will be in 2 parts.
Have reviewed video already and even with the wind I think it turned out pretty good.
April 02, 2019 10:52PM
I think it might surprise you. Well I’m still waiting on Fisher to answer my nickel question. I’m really using it more for strictly gold. Cliff buddy....I’m home ...you are right... going to be interesting to see how well it does during recent drop periods where gold might get moved just out of other detectors reach. But as quiet as it is I’m hoping to catch more near targets.

Looking forward to some videos. Something that appears pretty time consuming.
April 02, 2019 11:22PM
As MDT sales continue to rise...…. so do requests.
Stay tuned.
April 03, 2019 07:15AM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
> As MDT sales continue to rise...…. so do requests.
> Stay tuned.

That’s great news Tom!

Heck, I’m happy with the way the MDT is. Anything else coming will be great, if not that’s ok too.

Paul
April 03, 2019 07:17AM
tnsharpshooter Wrote:
> Alright, I did a good lengthy hunt with Tarsacci u
> nit. Flew solo no crutches, no head to heads. Im
> pressed me today. Ran in an old site where I have
> spent loads of time in with other units especially
> Deus.
> Will put video together.
> If too long will be in 2 parts.
> Have reviewed video already and even with the wind
> I think it turned out pretty good.

Looking forward to your videos David, take your time no hurry.

Thanks for sharing!
Paul
April 03, 2019 07:20AM
dewcon4414 Wrote:
> Heres some of my March stuff. Only got to hunt abo
> ut 2 weeks last month..... just got home in fact f
> rom up North. I put the dime there to show some o
> f the small targets. All of these were found at t
> he first of the Month .... a bit before Spring Bre
> ak got started.
>
>

Very nice Dew,

Couple more months like this the MDT will have paid for itself, thanks for sharing. Very incourging seeing others find gold!
Paul
April 03, 2019 09:59AM
Folks can see/hear the settings in video. I love mixed mode. Allows me to hunt faster. Tarsacci unit not hard to run. When in mixed mode the thing I like is if I don’t hear AM signal when sweeping but hear disc signal it’s a nail/iron false in my book. This detector is extracting smaller things out of my soil. And I think it is doing it very well. Each and every thing I dug is depicted in video. Notice little iron dug. This was no accident. Folks will see my regiment I use to gauge dig or no dig decision. You’ll hear me say I don’t like some targets (based on not being ideal signature ) but I didn’t hate the signal/ behavior (overall). I may show another video where I show some signals that are imo no dig based on failing part(s) of my regiment for dig decision. And actually dig them and see what the real deal is. The AM on the detector I love. It gives me valuable info especially over nails or elongated iron smaller (wavering or wispy tone is witnessed). Disc mode when used in conjunction with mixed mode gives great data too. It basically boils down where does the disc signal hit and do I have to be real careful (like forcing it) to get it to beep. If so likely ferrous. Tarsacci audio lends itself by just the volume it produces on things in the field possible to dismiss as big iron. The unit sounds off in multiple ways to the different iron in the ground. I ran tracking GB all day long with occasional redoing ground balancing. Sometimes I would do this based on detector feedback audio wise while sweeping and some times because i knew where Deus phase would change (more substantial) in this site from many previous hunts using. For an 18khz abilityunit I think it does good on smaller nonferrous. Will try and hunt the site some with 12khz just to see what happens. And may try a few settings changes after suspect target is located. Like freq, with a new GB, disc setting, sensitivity and or threshold setting.
The 2 videos shown while detecting in the same site. Folks might not believe this, but this site, today was my best day there in a long time. Actually since Deus version 4.0 came about. I didn’t even want to go to this site. Was more or less deemed dead in my mind. This site not been plowed at least since 1992. Maybe longer, can’t say for sure. I had another site in mind but the owner is planning on fertilizing soon. And I didn’t want to take a chance on upsetting him. As the grass in his hayfield is starting to grow. I would have took a $100 bet with anyone who could have found 6 nonferrous targets in this site today using any detector of their choosing VLF wise. I guess I would have lost. Lol
Do you know how many times I have hunted in this location and got skunked or found 1, maybe 2 ?? Loads. I do know this, rounder) (as in ball shaped) nonferrous in my dirt seems to confuse some VLF detectors. Seems Tarsacci is not so confused.

I hope you enjoy the videos. I actually like doing. It was tough today though unhooking headphones and then hooking up external speaker. Then reversing to get back to actual detecting to try to find something else. My videos may not make the academy awards but I try hard to give folks good info.

Part 1 video
[m.youtube.com]

Part 2 video
[m.youtube.com]

All nonferrous but the top left bent nail it seems.

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2019 08:20PM by tnsharpshooter.
April 03, 2019 02:03PM
My gut tells me...that I may have misled folks into thinking that the MDT is somewhat complex to run/operate. (I think DanielTN alluded to this). This may be due to... my quest to target 'seasoned folks' first..... to use the detector. (((My intent could have easily been taken wrong))).
IF you are wet-salt beach hunting; granted...…. there is one more step (identical to Ground Balance procedure) that needs to be performed. That being: Salt Balance. If this "one more step" in set-up procedure; makes for a difficult set-up...… then I stand corrected!
IF you are inland hunting with the MDT (in bad soil)……….. then...……… as with any detector...………. standard/normal/expected Ground Balance should be performed. You do not have to Salt Balance on inland turf (unless you live in Salt Lake City). BUT...………… you THEN can use Salt Balance to help eliminate hot-rocks, basalt...…….. (((a feature that does not exist on any other platform))). You ALSO can use Black Sand Mode to enhance depth in some certain applications.
These features do not make for a 'complex' unit; rather; tools to ascertain additional performance (((that have never existed on any other platform.... in past history))).

WHERE there may be complexities...… herein lies within the HUMAN factor. Acuteness of human-hearing audible-spectrum...… differs...…. ESPECIALLY in the male populous. In regards to the Tarsacci……. one person is finding max performance whilst in All-Metal Mode. Another person finds ID Mode is their magic. And yet, another person finds full audible-intelligence data within the body of Mixed Mode.
April 03, 2019 02:51PM
tnsharpshooter Wrote:
> Folks can see/hear the settings in video. I love
> mixed mode. Allows me to hunt faster. Tarsacci u
> nit not hard to run. When in mixed mode the thing
> I like is if I don’t hear AM signal when sweeping
> but hear disc signal it’s a nail/iron false in my
> book. This detector is extracting smaller things
> out of my soil. And I think it is doing it very w
> ell. Each and every thing I dug is depicted in vi
> deo. Notice little iron dug. This was no acciden
> t. Folks will see my regiment I use to gauge dig
> or no dig decision. You’ll hear me say I don’t li
> ke some targets (based on not being ideal signatur
> e ) but I didn’t hate the signal/ behavior (overal
> l). I may show another video where I show some si
> gnals that are imo no dig based on failing part(s)
> of my regiment for dig decision. And actually dig
> them and see what the real deal is. The AM on the
> detector I love. It gives me valuable info especi
> ally over nails or elongated iron smaller (waverin
> g or wispy tone is witnessed). Disc mode when us
> ed in conjunction with mixed mode gives great data
> too. It basically boils down where does the disc
> signal hit and do I have to be real careful (like
> forcing it) to get it to beep. If so likely ferro
> us. Tarsacci audio lends itself by just the volum
> e it produces on things in the field possible to d
> ismiss as big iron. The unit sounds off in multip
> le ways to the different iron in the ground. I ra
> n tracking GB all day long with occasional redoing
> ground balancing. Sometimes I would do this base
> d on detector feedback audio wise while sweeping a
> nd some times because i knew where Deus phase woul
> d change (more substantial) in this site from many
> previous hunts using. For an 18khz abilityunit I
> think it does good on smaller nonferrous. Will tr
> y and hunt the site some with 12khz just to see wh
> at happens. And may try a few settings changes af
> ter suspect target is located. Like freq, with a
> new GB, disc setting, sensitivity and or threshold
> setting.
> The 2 videos shown while detecting in the same sit
> e. Folks might not believe this, but this site, t
> oday was my best day there in a long time. Actual
> ly since Deus version 4.0 came about. I didn’t ev
> en want to go to this site. Was more or less deem
> ed dead in my mind. This site not been plowed at
> least since 1992. Maybe longer, can say for sure.
> I had another site in mind but the owner is planni
> ng on fertilizing soon. And I didn’t want to take
> a chance on upsetting him. As the grass in his ha
> yfield is starting to grow. I would have took a $
> 100 bet with anyone who could have found 6 nonferr
> ous targets in this site today using any detector
> of their choosing VLF wise. I guess I would have
> lost. Lol
> Do you know how many times I have hunted in this l
> ocation and got skunked or found 1, maybe 2 ?? Loa
> ds. I do know this, rounder) (as in ball shaped)
> nonferrous in my dirt seems to confuse some VLF de
> tectors. Seems Tarsacci is not so confused.
>
> I hope you enjoy the videos. I actually like doin
> g. It was tough today though unhooking headphones
> and then hooking up external speaker. Then revers
> ing to get back to actual detecting to try to find
> something else. My videos may not make the academ
> y awards but I try hard to give folks good info.
>
> Part 1 video
> [m.youtube.com]
>
> Part 2 video
> [m.youtube.com]
>
> All nonferrous but the top left bent nail it seems
> .
>

Thanks David for taking the time to make the videos, these two made the academy awards I’m my book. They are terrific, an eye opener seeing targets surface in an area hit hard by other top end detectors..

That area looked like 12 kHz would do very well, 12 kHz still gets the tinyest finds at great depths in my area. Mix mode is great, out in an area like yours that would be the mode I would use. This area of yours looks like a good place to compare the Deus and Equniox with the MDT. I already know what the outcome will be smiling smiley

Good job!
Paul
April 03, 2019 03:08PM
You are welcome Paul. Beautiful day here today. Going to put Tarsacci’s coil over the soil again today. Video camera handy. May do and show a few head to heads. We’ll see. Got to get over some targets first. Might not be that easy. I have had my hopes up before a d they were dashed.
Later.
April 03, 2019 07:44PM
Now i know........ i was on that OTHER list.... for getting one of these machines..... NON seasoned ....man even a steak dont sound good if it aint seasoned.

What im finding your conditions can really come into play. Like Tom said its really not that difficult of a machine to learn..... BUT mess with those buttons on found targets... you may just find a combo that really works best for you. I do feel pretty comfortable saying people might not like hunting behind you in the wet sand. Here in my area .... id say its nearly PI depth without all that iron. Cant wait to see how it stacks up to the the AQ when hunting in Disc.
April 04, 2019 01:35AM
Some folks may be interested in knowing how All Metal behaves on detector. The detector does have ID capabilities using AM. Here’s a video. I didn’t show a gold ring, but it behaves a lot like nickel when swept in AM.

Enjoy

[m.youtube.com]
April 04, 2019 02:15AM
tnsharpshooter Wrote:
> Some folks may be interested in knowing how All Me
> tal behaves on detector. The detector does have I
> D capabilities using AM. Here’s a video. I didn’
> t show a gold ring, but it behaves a lot like nick
> el when swept in AM.
>
> Enjoy
>
> [m.youtube.com]

Yes, nice variation in tones between the iron and non fe. That all metal is probably a good option in the lower junk areas.
Thanks.

Anyone been using the Tarsacci in the fresh water?

Aaron

April 04, 2019 02:31AM
I should have shown vertical standing nail. I checked in my pre setup for doing video. But forgot to do. Using AM on vertical nail, no tonal qualities like nail laying more horizontal- sweeping down barrel.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2019 02:35AM by tnsharpshooter.
April 04, 2019 03:07AM
Another hunt with Tarsacci today. Found some relics mostly musket balls. First target of the day located with Tarsacci I did head head to head with XP Deus wearing 9” Hf coil.
Only head to head done today.

You will hear in this video where I actually had Deus ground balanced using 14 kHz. A 72 was in phase window. I disn’t do another GB when switching to 28.8khz. As I had no cleqn place close to do. In my ground if I would have done GB at 28.8khz what I usually see is a phase reading 3 points below what pumping GB shows for 14 KHz. So imo the GB being off a mere 3 points approx didn’t have anything to do with Deus struggling to get targett from the one direction using 28 kHz (especially after seeing depth of target recovered). Both Tarsacci and Deus Hf coils here are 9” wide but Tarsacci Coil is longer. Tarsacci is no slouch in iron.

This object found checked with magnet and is totally nonferrous.
Will post a pic of closeup.

[m.youtube.com]

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2019 03:25AM by tnsharpshooter.
April 04, 2019 05:45AM
I may end up getting one of these units yet. I only got to see Chris's when he would come down and he had it most of the time while I was marking bullets with the GPX. I did get a couple hours of play time with it but the bullet site was the only site we had a chance to hunt with it before he passed away. I'm curious now to see how it would handle these sites with all the cows on them. Problem is, turkey season is in full swing in TN and my relic season is about through as the ticks, snakes, and shotgun army take over the woods.
April 04, 2019 07:48AM
tnsharpshooter wrote: “Tarsacci is no slouch in iron.”
It’s good and interesting to hear the positive reports coming back regarding the Tarsacci in iron. I think Toms been “sand baggin” us regarding the Tarsacci’s “iron prowess” probably cause he doesn’t rate it as high as the DEUS or EQUINOX. I know Tom, and he probably ran it through the gauntlet at Ft Meade and that place will render most machines useless.

Is there a smaller coil for the Tarsacci?

Hey Daniel, you may want to consider a Tarsacci for water hunting if you can’t get in the woods, that’s what I’ll be doing w mine.

Aaron

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2019 07:54AM by Aaron.
April 04, 2019 08:07AM
Aaron -- The water rating on the machine would keep me from water hunting with it. When I hunted all last summer with the Nox, most of my jewelry finds were belly button to neck deep, meaning the unit was entirely underwater. I'd hunt each beach about 2 to 3 hours...the underwater rating for the MDT is only 30 mins if I remember correctly. For me it would be more of a "splash proof" type thing instead of a full blown stick it in water and hunt. Right now my focus has been turned to fishing anyway.
April 04, 2019 10:40AM
Daniel, most of my water hunting is just the opposite. I usually hunt from my shins to my belly. I’ve tried going deeper however I find considerably less the deeper I go, probably because the regular hunters show up Monday morning and are out there up to there necks, I’m thinking of going deeper at least chest however I’d need a weight belt and waterproof headphones!

Aaron

April 04, 2019 11:40AM
Aaron Wrote:
> tnsharpshooter wrote: “Tarsacci is no slouch in ir
> on.”
> It’s good and interesting to hear the positive rep
> orts coming back regarding the Tarsacci in iron. I
> think Toms been “sand baggin” us regarding the Tar
> sacci’s “iron prowess” probably cause he doesn’t r
> ate it as high as the DEUS or EQUINOX. I know Tom,
> and he probably ran it through the gauntlet at Ft
> Meade and that place will render most machines use
> less.
>
> Is there a smaller coil for the Tarsacci?
>
> Hey Daniel, you may want to consider a Tarsacci fo
> r water hunting if you can’t get in the woods, tha
> t’s what I’ll be doing w mine.
>
> Aaron

Currently only one coil available. To my knowledge.
April 04, 2019 02:51PM
The Tarsacci is not my first choice... in carpets of nails. The XP GMP is first-choice. Then the F75 with 5" DD coil is second-choice. BUT..... the Tarsacci is well above-average in iron.
There's something that I've been 'holding up my sleeve' with the Tarsacci (primarily due to the inability to find 'exacting' numbers). Try Ground Balancing out the rusted iron-oxides WITH a few small pieces of rusty nail. THEN go hunting in carpets of nails! See what happens!
((( You can also toy with the Salt Balance...… in 'adjusting-out' (blinding) the Tarsacci to actual iron. ---This is difficult; yet...…--- ))). I have not fully 'mastered' this yet; due to: variables.
April 04, 2019 03:49PM
After a few months of hunting the hot rock patches at the beach, I have concluded that the MDT does not see through these hot rocks any better than the Equinox or other machines. I thought I finally had it figured out when I got a couple of gold rings a while back but I think it was only because a new area of rocks had become exposed. If there is a magic formula for seeing through these rocks better than other detectors, I haven't found it and believe me, I have tried everything. I think I understand the MDT pretty well now. I know for a fact that there is gold and silver under these rocks. If the Tarsacci could see through the rocks better than other machines, it would be finding it. The Equinox is the most common detector at these locations. No one is using a pulse which would not be practical due to all the ferrous lobster trap metal.

I have proven that the MDT gets inches more depth over the Equinox and CZ20 in the wet sand and am very happy with that. Unfortunately, we didn't get any good storms this year to make the wet sand worth hunting. The odds of getting a storm this late in the season are low but it could still happen. Hurricane season is just around the corner. Hopefully we'll get one this year. In the mean time, the MDT will have to sit on the sidelines until some sand moves. I might take it relic hunting if I get a good site and will report the results if any.

Edited 12 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2019 04:12PM by Badger in NH.
April 04, 2019 06:13PM
How did you confirm it’s not doing better in the hot rocks? Only way I know is to use a machine that does. Have you considered there just no targets within detector depth? I have sort of the same situation with sand.....it deep....real deep. I don’t have a machine to confirm I’m getting down to targets. I know they are there to.....but the 8000 still offers me those extra inches over the Nox. Have you done any testing to see how much depth BOTH machines loose? So Tom.... what were you referring to in that sales post.....”so do request....stay tune”???