Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

ON THE HORIZON = MDT-8000

Posted by NASA-Tom 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: ON THE HORIZON = MDT-8000
April 15, 2019 11:45AM
Gary, I find the same thing after hunting for around 4hrs, my ears start getting tired. Last hunt I used the Equinox for the first half and the MDT the second half. I’m gonna try the MDT first while my ears are fresh, even if I still don’t use it as long as the Equinox. I’ve picked up on the Equinox pretty quick....MDT different story.

TARSACCI - “Digging deeper, BEHIND the competition!”
[forums.tarsaccisales.com]
April 15, 2019 12:12PM
Thats why with most machines i try really hard to get them as quiet as i can..... yes you get brain numb.... and at that point you are taking your detector for a walk listening without realizing to HIGH tones. On the MDT.... 9kzh in the water seemed to do that for me.... yes i might miss some targets. Im also trying to ignore more of the higher tones as i said. Pattern hunting for gold.

Aaron.... the Nox has several ways to quiet them down..... to include headphones. How much do you want to dig.... and how much concentration do you have? I believe a lot of the finds are coming from .... improved concentration with the Nox. BUT..... here in the salt water .... get the Nox out chest deep and things can get chatty. Not so much with the MDT in 9khz..... smooth like the Xcal in PP without the swooooosh even. To the point you find yourself ..... testing it against your scoop occasionally just to see if its working lol.
April 15, 2019 02:42PM
Dew, I haven’t messed w 9khz w the MDT, I will today. I’m only using the stock phones w the MDT and Equinox. I haven’t been able to find the converter jack. I want to use my KILLER BEE HORNETS. I just confused w all the 3/4 to 1/8 jack stuff.

Concentration in the water is definitely harder, something I need to work harder on! I was down in Cocoa Beach hunting couple months ago, I can see how concentrating may be more difficult w all the bikinis running around!

Thanks for the input Dew

April 15, 2019 03:34PM
Those bikinis are why I love to beach hunt!! The detector is just a disguise and cover for getting close. Haha. I am told that my cargo shorts went out of style 30 years ago so I am well on my way to being "that looney old guy looking for treasure on the beach". Florida beaches are awesome. East TN lake and river beaches....not so much. Better to hit those in the early mornings when nobody is there. Some things you can't unsee. Ugggh & barf. Haha
April 15, 2019 03:37PM
the Jack for the MDT they have mad it pretty easy now using a solderless M8 you can get on line. Pin outs are easy once you realize 2 of the wires are fused together inside to shut off the speaker....one does nothing and the other is needed....same concept....two pins..2wires going to the headphones. For fresh water hunting with no waves you could use any land phones. BUT....the phones that come with it are really pretty good ones for what you are doing
April 15, 2019 03:50PM
LOL Daniel...Yeah, speaking of “things you can’t get out of your mind”, like this gorgeous Asian women ran right by me as some dude was talking to me. I watched her run down the beach, right.... past.....Tom D.....he didn’t see a thing.

Now that’s concentration....

Ok Dew, lemme try getting my equinox hooked up at least with that jack. Can it be waterproofed? I’m tired of using the Bluetooth, ya drop it in the water when you need 2 hands on the scoop and ya lose signal. That’s gettin old.
April 15, 2019 04:20PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2019 07:38PM by dewcon4414.
April 15, 2019 08:08PM
Paul did you do any hunting with the 8000 this past weekend?

El
April 15, 2019 09:01PM
The M8 is waterproof. It’s the same as the one on the phones that came with your MDT. You can buy them on line....4 pin solderless MALE M8 connector.
April 16, 2019 12:39AM
Thanks Dew!
April 16, 2019 03:05PM
Elbert Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Paul did you do any hunting with the 8000 this pas
> t weekend?
>
> El

Hello El,

Didn’t get out this weekend, work and a trip down south visiting family took up both days. Did get out yesterday for a couple of hours, just a few pistol balls, heel tap and pocket watch innards.

Spending a lot of time with RC equipment lately, boy those are high maintenance. Hopefully get out this week I’d like to hit some water areas, local dam is slowly reducing water into its rivers which should open up black sand beach areas to hunt. I’m getting too old to detect neck deep, much easier to dig when the water is low.

Hope all is well up your waysmiling smiley
Paul

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2019 03:10PM by Apolonio (CA).
April 17, 2019 12:44AM
More data for you guys:

www.tarsacci.com
April 17, 2019 12:52AM
Dimitar said the site would soon be up
April 17, 2019 03:03AM
Question here.
Since Tarsacci site is apparently up and running.
[tarsacci.com]
The folks like me who bought their units earlier, should we register them on the site??

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2019 03:29AM by tnsharpshooter.
April 17, 2019 09:20AM
No...…… Dimitar has those records.
April 17, 2019 12:09PM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
> No...…… Dimitar has those records.

Thanks Tom.
April 17, 2019 02:08PM
Nice looking website. I had a look at the warranty and noticed a couple of things in the warranty..

There is this ....“The warranty will be considered void/invalid if the product was not properly registered to Tarsacci. This warranty is extended to the purchaser identified in the Product Registration Form (“Purchaser”).

This means that it is not transferable to subsequent owners.

There is also this...“The Purchaser has up to 40 calendar days from the date of purchase to register their product for this warranty to to be valid.”

This means that failure to register - no warranty. Interestingly this kind of requirement to register is prohibited by state laws in several states, including California where Tarsacci is registered.

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold
April 17, 2019 02:29PM
The website says in the FAQ that Salinity Balance and Black Sand Mode have no affect on depth. Is this true?

Does that mean that the only purpose of Salinity Balance is to decrease noise and false signals, and no matter where it is set, it will always get the same depth?

All this time I've been trying so hard to get the perfect SB thinking that it had an affect on depth when all it really does is quiet the machine?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2019 02:34PM by Badger in NH.
April 17, 2019 06:57PM
Maybe the depth means something different...because those adjustments have made a difference on my machine. I can get the machine quiet with say 9khz....but I Noticed black sand on helps with EMI....and in 12 or 18....near the surf I get about 1/2” on....i assume because of the gray sand.
April 17, 2019 09:04PM
Too many reasons to buy this machine. Will be placing my order sometime next month.

Relics and coins won't stand a chance in Oregon!

What was once impossible..... is now easy and obvious. BUT.......... if : You don't know...what you don't know........ it continues to appear/look impossible.
-Thomas Dankowski
April 17, 2019 09:47PM
I was just told by Dimitar...that’s correct they don’t affect depth. But....to me if I’m missing targets because of false chatter and this cleans it up ....I’ve got some depth. Same way with headphones they don’t give depth per Say ....but u can get deeper targets.
April 17, 2019 11:23PM
dewcon4414 Wrote:
> I was just told by Dimitar...that’s correct they d
> on’t affect depth. But....to me if I’m missing t
> argets because of false chatter and this cleans it
> up ....I’ve got some depth. Same way with headph
> ones they don’t give depth per Say ....but u can g
> et deeper targets.

Thanks for the info.

Speaking of headphones, I haven't even tried the headphones that came with the machine yet. I went straight to my Trond Bluetooth headphones. I think I'll give wired a try for a while.

I also haven't tested the Tars in the dirt yet. It's about time I did that. The Nox has been killer on old coins lately. It's hard to pull myself away from it.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2019 11:25PM by Badger in NH.
April 17, 2019 11:26PM
Those headphones that came w the Tarsacci actually arnt bad! I’ve been using them w my Equinox too!

April 18, 2019 01:19AM
dewcon4414 Wrote:
> The M8 is waterproof. It’s the same as the one o
> n the phones that came with your MDT. You can bu
> y them on line....4 pin solderless MALE M8 connect
> or.

Have they been changed? Mine came with a pig tail which connects to a standard 1/8”. Monoprice phones, which work great, but I pull them loose from the pigtail now and then, which is less damaging than ripping the headphone cord. May end up with another pair of Tony Eisenhower’s for the MDT. My pair for the Nox do work with the MDT pig tail but the connection isn’t quite right., and I had to waterproof tape them together for use with the MDT.
April 18, 2019 01:57AM
Gary in Daytona Wrote:
> dewcon4414 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > The M8 is waterproof. It’s the same as the one
> o
> > n the phones that came with your MDT. You can
> bu
> > y them on line....4 pin solderless MALE M8 conne
> ct
> > or.
>
>
> Have they been changed? Mine came with a pig tail

I think that is what Dew is referring to. My phones came with a pin jack. The pigtail has the M8 on one end and the female pin jack on the other which is not waterproof. To my knowledge they have not changed.
> which connects to a standard 1/8”. Monoprice phone
> s, which work great, but I pull them loose from th
> e pigtail now and then, which is less damaging tha
> n ripping the headphone cord. May end up with anot
> her pair of Tony Eisenhower’s for the MDT. My pair
> for the Nox do work with the MDT pig tail but the
> connection isn’t quite right., and I had to waterp
> roof tape them together for use with the MDT.
April 18, 2019 02:07AM
The headphones that came w the MDT obviously are not waterproof however the MDT pigtail that the headphones plug into is. The female pigtail and Headphone jack both are gold plated and not affected by the water, according to what Dimitar told me. I’ve had it under water many times works great.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2019 02:08AM by Aaron.
April 18, 2019 02:09AM
Badger in NH Wrote:
> The website says in the FAQ that Salinity Balance
> and Black Sand Mode have no affect on depth. Is th
> is true?
>
> Does that mean that the only purpose of Salinity B
> alance is to decrease noise and false signals, and
> no matter where it is set, it will always get the
> same depth?
>
> All this time I've been trying so hard to get the
> perfect SB thinking that it had an affect on depth
> when all it really does is quiet the machine?

I have struggled somewhat with salinity balance. I have noticed with 9, 12 & 18 kHz there is roughly 10 # positions with no effect from the salt. As an example. 20 gives a slight response but 21 thru 29 has no response then 30 gives a response. So what I have been doing is splitting the difference and setting the balance at 25. With the 6.4kHz I find 20 digits between responses so I split the difference in the middle. Does anyone else do this or have this experience? Should I be doing something else? Tom do you have a answer?

Thanks
Thomas
April 18, 2019 07:58AM
Carolina Wrote:
> Badger in NH Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > The website says in the FAQ that Salinity Balanc
> e
> > and Black Sand Mode have no affect on depth. Is
> th
> > is true?
> >
> > Does that mean that the only purpose of Salinity
> B
> > alance is to decrease noise and false signals, a
> nd
> > no matter where it is set, it will always get th
> e
> > same depth?
> >
> > All this time I've been trying so hard to get th
> e
> > perfect SB thinking that it had an affect on dep
> th
> > when all it really does is quiet the machine?
>
> I have struggled somewhat with salinity balance. I
> have noticed with 9, 12 & 18 kHz there is roughly
> 10 # positions with no effect from the salt. As an
> example. 20 gives a slight response but 21 thru 29
> has no response then 30 gives a response. So what
> I have been doing is splitting the difference and
> setting the balance at 25. With the 6.4kHz I find
> 20 digits between responses so I split the differe
> nce in the middle. Does anyone else do this or hav
> e this experience? Should I be doing something els
> e? Tom do you have a answer?
>
> Thanks
> Thomas

I was doing the same thing trying to split hairs but now that we know that Salinity Balance has no affect on depth, I'm just going to set the SB anywhere that it's quiet. So much easier now not having to worry about whether I have it right or not.

I'm guessing Ground Balance is probably the same. Start with the default 560-564. If it's quiet, you're good to go. I wish I knew this in the beginning. It would have saved me a lot of time.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2019 07:59AM by Badger in NH.
April 18, 2019 10:04AM
When i salt balance ...... i bob the coil up and down and adjust it until i get a response both way.... then back it off one digit. From what Dimitar said ..... its all about making it settle down and it doesnt affect depth. But..... maybe im wrong but surely it affects sensitivity to a target especially those near the salt setting..... smaller or really deep targets. So if this is correct.... if the machine is chatty in 18khz at say 25....... and smooths out at 40, is it then not going to loose sensitivity on targets? Wouldnt that be like setting the GB to high? The higher you run the more deep targets are filtered out
April 18, 2019 10:57AM
It's easy enough to test.

I'll try it in my test garden and then bury some measured targets at the beach again and see how it behaves with this new way of thinking.