Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

ON THE HORIZON = MDT-8000

Posted by NASA-Tom 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: ON THE HORIZON = MDT-8000
April 18, 2019 01:14PM
dewcon4414 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> When i salt balance ...... i bob the coil up and d
> own and adjust it until i get a response both way.
> ... then back it off one digit. From what Dimit
> ar said ..... its all about making it settle down
> and it doesnt affect depth. But..... maybe im wr
> ong but surely it affects sensitivity to a target
> especially those near the salt setting..... smalle
> r or really deep targets. So if this is correct.
> ... if the machine is chatty in 18khz at say 25...
> .... and smooths out at 40, is it then not going t
> o loose sensitivity on targets? Wouldnt that be
> like setting the GB to high? The higher you run
> the more deep targets are filtered out

Dew & Badger

I have gone back to the Tarsacci web site and under ground balance, there is a section that questions why the ground balance numbers in the dry sand verses the ground balance numbers in the wet sand are so different. Dimitar’s response is that the salinity balance is incorrect and you need to salinity balance again. With that being said, I think we could use the GB feature in the wet sand to check the salinity balance. If we can closely replicate the wet GB to the dry GB then that should tell us the salt is not being seen by the detector. Am I correct on this way of thinking? Also, should we then run the GB numbers balanced in the wet sand verses the original dry sand GB numbers? I have never re ground balanced in the wet salt. I only GB in the dry sand and then salinity balance in the wet sand. What are your experiences with this?

Thomas

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2019 01:28PM by Carolina.
April 18, 2019 05:40PM
On my beaches many machines will NOT GB.... wet dry or otherwise. They may pick out a digit (and some even have a preset GB for beach if it doesnt Gcool smiley... but move and that digit may well change.... SIGNIFICANTLY because the machine is grabbing any digit it can. You also have a concentration ..... of gray sand or minerals near the surf here.... even deep sea weed. The heavier iron metals may settle at the lower part of the beach and in low areas. You get more fluff, blown, air dryied ... and air gap in the dry sand as well. IF the dry sand and wet sand contained the same amount of minerals i could see that. Kind of one of my questions about GBing in the wet sand.......... if you have a preset salt balance from a previous hunt.... which appears to be pretty constant on my beach.... then isnt it already considering that when its doing the GB?
April 18, 2019 05:49PM
On my beaches many machines will NOT GB.... wet dry or otherwise. They may pick out a digit (and some even have a preset GB for beach if it doesnt Gcool smiley... but move and that digit may well change.... SIGNIFICANTLY because the machine is grabbing any digit it can. You also have a concentration ..... of gray sand or minerals near the surf here.... even deep sea weed. The heavier iron metals may settle at the lower part of the beach and in low areas. You get more fluff, blown, air dryied ... and air gap in the dry sand as well. IF the dry sand and wet sand contained the same amount of minerals i could see that. Kind of one of my questions about GBing in the wet sand.......... if you have a preset salt balance from a previous hunt.... which appears to be pretty constant on my beach.... then isnt it already considering that when its doing the GB? My thing is..... IF the salt setting doesnt affect depth and only filters the falsing so we can better hear a target....... then using 18kzh...... is mearly a matter of upping the SB digits until its silent........ what am i missing? Now i can take like i said a PUMPED above the water SB using 18khz......but she chatters out there. That SB may be 25.......you cant get it to calm down until you reach say 40. What did that just do to a target?
April 18, 2019 06:08PM
dewcon4414 Wrote:
> On my beaches many machines will NOT GB.... wet dr
> y or otherwise. They may pick out a digit (and s
> ome even have a preset GB for beach if it doesnt G
> cool smiley... but move and that digit may well change....
> SIGNIFICANTLY because the machine is grabbing any
> digit it can. You also have a concentration ....
> . of gray sand or minerals near the surf here....
> even deep sea weed. The heavier iron metals may
> settle at the lower part of the beach and in low a
> reas. You get more fluff, blown, air dryied ...
> and air gap in the dry sand as well. IF the dry s
> and and wet sand contained the same amount of mine
> rals i could see that. Kind of one of my questio
> ns about GBing in the wet sand.......... if you ha
> ve a preset salt balance from a previous hunt....
> which appears to be pretty constant on my beach...
> . then isnt it already considering that when its d
> oing the GB?

I think that is why you should have salt on when youGB. My beach has nearly the same makeup in the dry as the slope and wet sand as well as the wash. It is very seldom that I am able to actually hunt the surf waist to chest deep. Not enough weight haha. The most significant difference from the dry and the slope is the very top of the slope where black sand is at its thickest concentration. In your case if the minerals change that much I would GB in the wet for sure. Maybe run tracking and watch the numbers change. I know with my Equinox in the wet sand the GB is around 7. If I leave tracking on and go to the top of the slope this number changes drastically. With the CTX auto sens. +3 runs 27 to 29. Go to the top of the slope in the black sand and it drops as low as 4. I am interested to see what happens with the Tarsacci. I know that if I’m in the house with black sand off the EMI is terrible. Turn on black sand and it becomes quite so I know the setting is doing something. At a loss of depth, who knows? Well I’m done rambling.

Tom I wish you would weigh in with your two cents worth as mine is mostly hot air at the moment,haha.

Thomas
April 19, 2019 06:18PM
Next question........ if you are notice chatter after a bit of hunting in the Wet sand after doing both the SB and GB ....... which do you need to do or can playing with those digits especially the GB solve this? Running tracking for a little time may well be a good idea to help with getting a fix on the GB on that beach. Now..... can one run tracking in the water...... and can you rely on those digits? What ive found is the salt balance changes the deeper you go out........ IF you reset your SB to that .... can you allow tracking to come up with an average digit? You know .... the Nox kind of works in reverse to your CTX. In beach 2 dry sand or high wet i may get a GB reading HIGHER than i get in the wet sand nearer the salt water. I find running 4 to my liking in the water here. This gets a bit more confusing where you really cant get a machine to GB. I realize there is that 560 -564 ..... but above it wont more get filtered out? Then you ..... have to ensure your salt setting is correct..... which some seem to feel may have a 5 digit difference or more where it appears to be balanced. Doesnt appear we are going to get this perfect..... but over time should have a good idea as to both SB and GB on a specific beach.... which could require tweaking. In my case .... the fluff sand out there or hard pan.
April 20, 2019 12:33PM
dewcon4414 Wrote:
> Next question........ if you are notice chatter af
> ter a bit of hunting in the Wet sand after doing b
> oth the SB and GB ....... which do you need to do
> or can playing with those digits especially the GB
> solve this? Running tracking for a little time ma
> y well be a good idea to help with getting a fix o
> n the GB on that beach. Now..... can one run tra
> cking in the water...... and can you rely on those
> digits? What ive found is the salt balance chang
> es the deeper you go out........ IF you reset your
> SB to that .... can you allow tracking to come up
> with an average digit? You know .... the Nox kin
> d of works in reverse to your CTX. In beach 2 dr
> y sand or high wet i may get a GB reading HIGHER t
> han i get in the wet sand nearer the salt water.
> I find running 4 to my liking in the water here.
> This gets a bit more confusing where you really ca
> nt get a machine to GB. I realize there is that 5
> 60 -564 ..... but above it wont more get filtered
> out? Then you ..... have to ensure your salt sett
> ing is correct..... which some seem to feel may ha
> ve a 5 digit difference or more where it appears t
> o be balanced. Doesnt appear we are going to get
> this perfect..... but over time should have a good
> idea as to both SB and GB on a specific beach....
> which could require tweaking. In my case .... the
> fluff sand out there or hard pan.

All valid points. Today I will spend some time testing and report back. I do wish Tom would weigh in on these topics, but have noticed a lack of posting by him on any thread.
April 21, 2019 07:10PM
Noticed today I can run tracking but can’t get a digit anywhere near the 560 mark. Local beach had a lot of sand moved....did about 3 hours 1pull tab, 5pieces of tiny melted aluminum, and heard a lot of iron. Was running 18k, -0 and 8 in the wet sand. It ran pretty smooth....with a bit of jump.
April 22, 2019 02:12AM
dewcon4414 Wrote:
> Noticed today I can run tracking but can’t get a d
> igit anywhere near the 560 mark. Local beach had
> a lot of sand moved....did about 3 hours 1pull tab
> , 5pieces of tiny melted aluminum, and heard a lot
> of iron. Was running 18k, -0 and 8 in the wet san
> d. It ran pretty smooth....with a bit of jump.

I have not run tracking yet. Today I was able to replicate dry GB number in damp sand adjusting the SB. In wet sand or wash, not a chance. I can run -1 threshold 8 sensitivity in 18kHz like you is jumpy. I have found very small BB size lead shot at 4 to 6 inches in 18 kHz so I have hopes for chains. 9 kHz runs smooth as silk 0 thresh. 8 sens. I have yet to see a stable TID until target is out of hole. More times than not, no matter what non ferrous target I hit 06 bouncing up to 22 settling back to 06 is the most common TID. The positive and negative symbols have always been right. I run notch at +30.
April 22, 2019 10:08AM
I run AM...... i can switch to disc with notch at 28.... which seems to knock out most iron or at least REALLY slow down the ping pong which is an indicator of iron wrapping around to me. Rarely is it wrong especially if its a HIGH ping on those slow ping pongs. It has a very narrow movement over a target... setting the coil over the target barely moving it left to right seems to give me the best TID results. I tested a chain the other day that i knew it hit on..... i was in 18k. What i found was the first couple of inches it hit it about and inch or two.... as i moved to the middle of the coil it was at 4" and it seemed to retain that to the back of the coil. That may be why we get low positive digits before the right ID comes up once we center the target. I just use ANY tone to know i have a target ...... THEN center it. Ive got to play with tracking more..... just turning tracking on didnt change the GB digits.... so i have to see if it does manually. Id like to know how we came up with the 560 GB. If the machine is chatty in the water...... how can we calm it? I know like i said when using 18K .. which normally is 25... i can run the SB up to 40 and calm it. But what does that do...... and what do i loose. OR do i need to adjust the GB out there? The chatter deosnt start until you get chest deep...... thats also normally the low area and HARD PAN.... which i suspect tiny tiny piece of metal and minerals are. This is the place it happens to MOST water machines. So is it the salt ...... or the GB?
April 22, 2019 11:23AM
Dew, I’m not sure what you mean by “notch”.

Thanks

TARSACCI - “Digging deeper, BEHIND the competition!”
[forums.tarsaccisales.com]
April 22, 2019 11:31AM
Aaron ..... if you are in Disc the manual tells you how to use the ONE notch that will notch out a digit it affects one or two digits before and after that digit. It auto disc all negative digits once you move notch into the POS digits...... then just move it to the digit you want to disc. I use it because of iron wrap around...... and thus far nothing in the far upper range am i looking for but it does a good job at knocking out the small pesty surface iron. Might be something to look at for hot rocks as well since that what i used to do with the Explorer field hunting.

Check out page 15....... its the last part of disc. Easily over looked or not initially understood because it doesnt really say NOTCH..... maybe it should have.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2019 11:36AM by dewcon4414.
April 22, 2019 11:37AM
Ok Dew thanks that makes a lot sense. That would probably help with problem I’m having with certain areas that have some kind of magnetic gravel in the old park. I think this was placed there decades ago as old fill.

I haven’t been able to find this MDT manual, can you please post a link?
April 22, 2019 12:36PM
dewcon4414 Wrote:
> I run AM...... i can switch to disc with notch at
> 28.... which seems to knock out most iron or at le
> ast REALLY slow down the ping pong which is an ind
> icator of iron wrapping around to me. Rarely is
> it wrong especially if its a HIGH ping on those sl
> ow ping pongs. It has a very narrow movement ov
> er a target... setting the coil over the target ba
> rely moving it left to right seems to give me the
> best TID results. I tested a chain the other day
> that i knew it hit on..... i was in 18k. What i
> found was the first couple of inches it hit it abo
> ut and inch or two.... as i moved to the middle of
> the coil it was at 4" and it seemed to retain that
> to the back of the coil. That may be why we get
> low positive digits before the right ID comes up o
> nce we center the target. I just use ANY tone to
> know i have a target ...... THEN center it. Ive
> got to play with tracking more..... just turning t
> racking on didnt change the GB digits.... so i hav
> e to see if it does manually. Id like to know ho
> w we came up with the 560 GB. If the machine is
> chatty in the water...... how can we calm it? I
> know like i said when using 18K .. which normally
> is 25... i can run the SB up to 40 and calm it.
> But what does that do...... and what do i loose.
> OR do i need to adjust the GB out there? The cha
> tter deosnt start until you get chest deep...... t
> hats also normally the low area and HARD PAN.... w
> hich i suspect tiny tiny piece of metal and minera
> ls are. This is the place it happens to MOST wat
> er machines. So is it the salt ...... or the GB?

Dew, I too run in AM as it seems to run smoother but do cross disc. my targets. I also run Mix. mode frequently. I set my disc. at 30 thinking it willnotch 28 & 29 as well for the iron wrap. I think it is page 16 that gives a diagram of +/- two digits of disc. setting. I am glad you can get a stable ID as I can not. Centering the coil has no effect on my ID. Only once out of the hole will it ID properly. Again I run AM and I watch the + & - symbols. If I disc and + is still shown I dig. I have yet to hunt waist deep or deeper so I have zero input there. The manual on page 22 Advanced says if the detector becomes unstable in deeper salt water reduce the sensitivity. Ughhh. I think at some point I will have to believe I have the machine set at its best performance level and just run with it.
April 22, 2019 12:38PM
Aaron Wrote:
> Ok Dew thanks that makes a lot sense. That would p
> robably help with problem I’m having with certain
> areas that have some kind of magnetic gravel in th
> e old park. I think this was placed there decades
> ago as old fill.
>
> I haven’t been able to find this MDT manual, can y
> ou please post a link?

Aaron if no link is posted you can google Tarsacci MDT user manual

Thomas
April 22, 2019 12:45PM
Thomas,

I’ve googled TARSACCI MDT 8000 numerous times, all I get is links back this forum and a pdf w 2 pics of the control panel.
April 22, 2019 01:51PM
Aaron, here’s the link

[tarsacci.com]

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold
April 22, 2019 02:14PM
Thanks a lot Rick, I wish someone would have posted this a few weeks ago.

Aaron
April 22, 2019 02:21PM
Aaron you got to keep up buddy....Tom and TNN both posted the link to the site and manual last page lol.
April 22, 2019 02:26PM
Yeah I guess Dew, however I did at the time click on the link tnsharpshooter posted, I didn’t find the manual. I see it’s there now.

Thanks.

TARSACCI - “Digging deeper, BEHIND the competition!”
[forums.tarsaccisales.com]
April 25, 2019 10:09AM
I've been 'time-poor'...…… but let me see if I can 'input' some data.
I think what Dimitar was trying to explain in the Owners Manual/Website about Black Sand Mode not having much effect on depth/performance is: In low mineralization areas...… there's minimal effect on depth with Black Sand Mode 'on' or 'off'. However, (as we are discovering)….. in the real-world..... which poses many different variables; there is indeed performance that can be gained/lost when Black Sand Mode & Salt Mode are selected/deselected. In some instances..... the performance gain is tremendous. That's why these functions/options are there. In my testings/documentings….. I have found that Black Sand Mode 'off' will present quite a bit more depth performance on the wet-salt beach..... nearly every time; yet, there are times where Black Sand Mode 'on' expresses a marked/measurable improvement. I frantically seek 'why'..... and have yet to localize to a common-denominator. At times..... it appears to be a dark gray sand that is not visible on the surface. A few other hunts...… and I could not see/find this gray striation anywhere; yet, Black Sand Mode 'on' was the winner.
Currently...….. I'm trying to discover Dew's (18KHz) findings of: Ground Balance of '27' is correct; yet, placing Grnd Bal on '40' will quiet down the unit. It is my Florida East Coast crashing waves (vs Dew's more mild Florida West Coast conditions) that are precluding (subsequent invalidation) or severely inhibiting my intent.
April 25, 2019 09:41PM
I had an unusual day with the machine. It allowed me to run 0 threshold....and 9 sensitivity in 9 kHz at chest deep. Smoothest it’s ever ran got a rare pop of minerals but no noise going up and against the grain. It was hard sand....but could it be so correlated it lacked minerals? I was getting good depth too with a great halo off the coil near the scoop. Just nothing out deep to find. I did play with 12khz and the SB I was hoping with how it ran in 9 I could use it. I could running the SB way up.....but she still had a lot of minerals chatter. I could hunt with it but I suspect running a quick machine would be a better option with about the same results. This machine don’t miss much. I dug some pretty small foil out there
April 25, 2019 10:53PM
Thanks Tom we all enjoy your input. Is the black sand “on” affecting EMI? Seems to work out of the water near the surf best in 12khz.
April 25, 2019 11:46PM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
> I've been 'time-poor'...…… but let me see if I can
> 'input' some data.
> I think what Dimitar was trying to explain in the
> Owners Manual/Website about Black Sand Mode not ha
> ving much effect on depth/performance is: In low m
> ineralization areas...… there's minimal effect on
> depth with Black Sand Mode 'on' or 'off'. However,
> (as we are discovering)….. in the real-world.....
> which poses many different variables; there is ind
> eed performance that can be gained/lost when Black
> Sand Mode & Salt Mode are selected/deselected. In
> some instances..... the performance gain is tremen
> dous. That's why these functions/options are there
> . In my testings/documentings….. I have found that
> Black Sand Mode 'off' will present quite a bit mor
> e depth performance on the wet-salt beach..... nea
> rly every time; yet, there are times where Black S
> and Mode 'on' expresses a marked/measurable improv
> ement. I frantically seek 'why'..... and have yet
> to localize to a common-denominator. At times.....
> it appears to be a dark gray sand that is not visi
> ble on the surface. A few other hunts...… and I co
> uld not see/find this gray striation anywhere; yet
> , Black Sand Mode 'on' was the winner.
> Currently...….. I'm trying to discover Dew's (18KH
> z) findings of: Ground Balance of '27' is correct;
> yet, placing Grnd Bal on '40' will quiet down the
> unit. It is my Florida East Coast crashing waves (
> vs Dew's more mild Florida West Coast conditions)
> that are precluding (subsequent invalidation) or s
> everely inhibiting my intent.

Tom I have a couple questions. 3 out of 4 frequencies have a spread of 10 digits on my salinity balance. For simplicity sake I will say 20 gives me chatter 21 thru 29 is silent and 30 gives me chatter. Would 25 be the optimal setting? With GB the more mineralization the higher the GB number I believe. What are the SB numbers telling me in the case above? I also read on the Tarsacci web site under FAQ ground balance. Why are the GB numbers in the damp sand so different than the GB numbers in the dry sand? Answer: The salinity balance is incorrect and need to SB again. It seems that if you adjust the SB until wet GB numbers match the dry GB numbers and then run tracking, as you progressively get wetter and wetter will tracking adjust salinity or is tracking looking at mineralization?
April 26, 2019 12:20AM
My numbers are to inconsistent to compare. I think Tom said the machine is grabbing any digit it can since there isn’t enough minerals to GB. So for me....I’m using GB 560....but when I hit that hard pan ....if I get noticeable chatter....is it the SB or GB needing adjustment? I’ll have to play with it
April 26, 2019 12:40AM
Dew...…. Black Sand Mode does alter some (unique) circuitry ….. and it does behave a bit differently when exposed to EMI. It is nearly akin to a different Noise Cancel channel on other detectors; yet, is not a 'freq-shift'.

Carolina...…..
1.) Yes..... if (say) a SB of 20 gives you chatter...… but 21-29 is stable.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,. choosing a setting 'in-the-middle' is a good choice.
2.) If salinity increases..... the 21-29 'quiet window' …. will then be 23-27. This tighter window is akin to 'how' high-volume mineralization responds with Ground Balance. The 'number/digit' tells you what 'type' of mineralization. The more narrow the window-of-acceptability for balance...… the higher the LEVEL of mineralization …. (but not the 'type' of mineralization).
3.) Although the Salt Balance numbers will 'delta' (differ) as you go higher up the slope...… making it 'look' like..... 'salt volume CHANGE'...…. causes this; rather, a salt-phase-angle-delta is the culprit.
4.) In your question of 'Tracking'...…. I would need to check with Dimitar ...if I can discuss this.,.,.,.,.,.,.,. as this platform is a bit different.

Dew; yes...….. if mineralization is minimum...…,,,,,,,, ANY detector will try to grab at thin-air (randomly grab anything it can get..... including EMI-induced/biased Ground Balance que).
April 26, 2019 02:31AM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
> Dew...…. Black Sand Mode does alter some (unique)
> circuitry ….. and it does behave a bit differently
> when exposed to EMI. It is nearly akin to a differ
> ent Noise Cancel channel on other detectors; yet,
> is not a 'freq-shift'.
>
> Carolina...…..
> 1.) Yes..... if (say) a SB of 20 gives you chatter
> ...… but 21-29 is stable.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,. choosing
> a setting 'in-the-middle' is a good choice.
> 2.) If salinity increases..... the 21-29 'quiet wi
> ndow' …. will then be 23-27. This tighter window i
> s akin to 'how' high-volume mineralization respond
> s with Ground Balance. The 'number/digit' tells yo
> u what 'type' of mineralization. The more narrow t
> he window-of-acceptability for balance...… the hig
> her the LEVEL of mineralization …. (but not the 't
> ype' of mineralization).
> 3.) Although the Salt Balance numbers will 'delta'
> (differ) as you go higher up the slope...… making
> it 'look' like..... 'salt volume CHANGE'...…. caus
> es this; rather, a salt-phase-angle-delta is the c
> ulprit.
> 4.) In your question of 'Tracking'...…. I would ne
> ed to check with Dimitar ...if I can discuss this.
> ,.,.,.,.,.,.,. as this platform is a bit different
> .
>
> Dew; yes...….. if mineralization is minimum...…,,,
> ,,,,, ANY detector will try to grab at thin-air (r
> andomly grab anything it can get..... including EM
> I-induced/biased Ground Balance que).

Tom: I thank you for your time and answers. # 4 may well give me the answer on how I attack the salt-phase-angle-delta as I go higher up the slope. But it seems I am delving into the multi domain platform as the salinity balance and ground balance are not “married” to one another unlike the phase shifting that takes place say with my Equinox. You understand my confusion on the tracking aspect of the Tarsacci and I understand your concern on discussing this topic. My curiosity is peaked. If you like you can PM me and tell me you can or can not discuss the tracking question. Thanks again on the SB answer.
April 26, 2019 11:33AM
Im missing the window for salt balance you are talking about? When i SB..... i get a definite up ramp when nearing the water but NOT on the raise of the coil. I continue raising the digits until i get a noticeable sound raising the coil. Then drop it 1 digit..... am i doing it incorrectly? Maybe its more forgiving than i know lol. If those digits changed in GB as we used tracking we might have a better idea as to general settings.

I just cant get the hang of Mixed mode..... but them most of my hunting is in the water and i get those very low volume ping pongs...... which for the most part are gone in AM. I have to play more with the SB in the water for 12khz. It has noticable depth advantages on the wet sand.... seems about the same as 18khz but 18 seems to ID a bit better.
April 26, 2019 03:40PM
dewcon4414 Wrote:
> Im missing the window for salt balance you are tal
> king about? When i SB..... i get a definite up ra
> mp when nearing the water but NOT on the raise of
> the coil. I continue raising the digits until i
> get a noticeable sound raising the coil. Then dr
> op it 1 digit..... am i doing it incorrectly? Ma
> ybe its more forgiving than i know lol. If those
> digits changed in GB as we used tracking we might
> have a better idea as to general settings.
>
> I just cant get the hang of Mixed mode..... but th
> em most of my hunting is in the water and i get th
> ose very low volume ping pongs...... which for the
> most part are gone in AM. I have to play more wit
> h the SB in the water for 12khz. It has noticabl
> e depth advantages on the wet sand.... seems about
> the same as 18khz but 18 seems to ID a bit better.

Dew for me keeping in mind I have not ventured out into the water as of yet, so I have not SB in 18” or more of water. Here is my normal mode of setting up my machine. Keep in mind I don’t know if this is correct. I turn on my SB and set at 27 in the dry sand. With SB on I GB in the dry sand. Here in VB my GB is always 554. I can start at 500 or set it high at 700 and it always dials in at 554 in the dry. Then I walk down to the wash and I use two methods for SB. 1- I dig a hole on the edge of the wash and let it fill with water. I start with 9 kHz and SB still set at 27. I pump the coil over the hole full of water and at 27 there is silence. I manually run down until I get a response pumping the coil. I usually run down several digits from 27 before I pump the coil rather than go 27,26,25,24 and so on. For me it’s usually 21 or 22 where I get the response. Then I go the other direction and I get silence pumping the coil, 23,24,25,26,27 and so on. At 31 or 32 pumping the coil I get a response. Since it is usually 10 digits from response to response I try and set it half way between.

2- My second method but I do not dig a hole but rather walk out in the wash ankle deep or so where I have constant water and I use the same method as #1

Somewhere I remember reading for water hunting find a place 18” deep or so and SB there. I would use the same method there when I do venture into the water.

Not all frequencies are ten digits apart but whatever it is I devide in half for my SB setting. Keep in mind I am new to this machine but it has outperformed my friends with their machines. One issue I have is the black sand setting. I have always kept it on as we have layers of black sand every 3 to 4 inches until we are in the hard pan. This depth varies because of fluff. We have a heavy concentration of black sand top of slope. Now I read that BS on does alter settings and may rob me of depth so now I will venture out BS off. What effect that has on SB I do not know.

My question to Tom on the tracking seems to be in a touchy spot for discussion as I assume it has todo with the way the machine separates GB and SB “ minerals “. I guess for me more testing involving tracking, target depth, threshold and sensitivity as well as SB. I can tell it is going to take me awhile to figure this thing out or I’m worrying over spilt milk and should just go detecting. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Carolina
April 26, 2019 04:57PM
Ive not really played with it much on the wet sand........ i use the SB from in the water set for each freq in shallow water..... and 560 GB ..... and just HUNT. In the water i always get a response when SBing toward the water....... but like i said what changes is the response i get as the coil raises. Hopefully Tom can get you some information on the tracking.
April 27, 2019 06:50AM
I guess I've had the MDT 8000 long enough that I can give a short review.

The performance of the MDT on the wet sand is nothing short of amazing. It is without a doubt the deepest VLF beach detector on the market today. Not just deeper, 20% to 30% deeper on the wet sand than any other target ID machine.

The build quality is superb. Very light and well thought out.

Things I would change.

I wish the menu settings would stay where you put them instead of automatically going back to the volume setting after a few seconds.

The pinpoint button is not easy to hold down due to the angle of the screen. Pinpoint mode should stay on and turn off with one push of the button.

The screen is a bit too small and the letters/numbers too small to read easily at a glance.

The coil should be round with the pivot attachment at the center.

The coil cover needs to be re-designed and made out of a stronger, longer lasting material. It also needs to be easier to get on and off. (Dimitar told me he is working on this.)

Overall, I'm still very happy with the machine. I just need to make time to use it more.

Edited 8 time(s). Last edit at 04/27/2019 10:31AM by Badger in NH.