Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

ON THE HORIZON = MDT-8000

Posted by NASA-Tom 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: ON THE HORIZON = MDT-8000
May 26, 2019 05:03PM
Man...... that Cliff is on a roll the last few hunts. Hit the beach early this morning.........by time i left i had counted 8 Xcals, 2 Noxs, 1 PI, 1 MX sport and of course my MDT..... all these machines were IN the water with me. Been some time since i saw that many hunters in one place........ i didnt even look at the beach to see how many were there. Working hard to keep up with Cliff. Cant match his number...... but these two are both 22K. The emerald looking one is nice..... 4 grams the band is 8.3 grams. Two Tung and the heavy 925 butterfly. I hit several small earring studs no shown. Well at least i know 9khz WILL find high K gold. The band was down there nearly a foot and the smaller one about 8". I just think everyone just walked right over um because they were chest deep right in the trough. There was no doubt when i went over them that it was a target.

cdv
May 26, 2019 08:59PM
Love that yellow color on that band! Don't worry about numbers buddy, with 5 days left in the month, my money is on you pulling ahead in the numbers race.
Good work Dew.

Cliff
May 27, 2019 02:07AM
I bet that 8.3 gram 22K will ID as a Zinc penny..... or even as high as a dime.
May 27, 2019 02:13AM
WTG Dew, sweet piece of au!

TARSACCI - “Digging deeper, BEHIND the competition!”
[forums.tarsaccisales.com]
May 27, 2019 10:43AM
Yes Tom....... the 22K band rang up as a SOLID 12... meaning ..... like most machines we are digging pennies for BIG rings and high K gold. The other rang up like 6 or 7..... but as you can tell its smaller than my pinky finger. Also..... no matter the angle of that ring ...... it reads 12.
May 28, 2019 01:51AM
Great finds. I am saving up for the MDT but I need to save faster....
May 28, 2019 09:22AM
Dew...…. If your 'gut' feels like you are (very slowly) seeing a shift towards higher Karat 'gold-finds'...…. let me know...…… as this is one of my 'trending' studies.
May 31, 2019 11:45PM
Tom you have seen my finds ive posted ...... here is Mays so im not sure how to answer your question.. What i do feel like is im getting some gold others are just not getting. BUT..... im somewhere in the mid 20 gold wise..... with just 3 10K (1.4 gram, 3 grams, and 6 grams all yellow gold) and that 9K (6.5 grams also yellow gold). Everything else has been 14k and higher. So.... do you think 9khz is some ways missing some low K gold especially white gold? I did get that point .8 gram yellow gold cross. But ....i believe Cliff got more than his share of the 10Ks.

Had an odd one today ...... one of those Ultra light class rings..... sounded small and slow medium pinged in disc with notch set at 27.......i would have sworn it was a bobbie pin. That medium ping is why i dug it. Im getting good depth and if there is a targets there AM sniffs it out ..... i just then need to determine if its a digger. heavy or some near surface iron when switching to Disc with notch at 27 will completely disc..... others gives a slower ping to them, mostly surface iron. Ill say another thing about depth....... some detectors leave you with the feeling after hunting a few hours that you are loosing depth...... not so with the MDT.
May 31, 2019 11:45PM
Tom you have seen my finds ive posted ...... here is Mays so im not sure how to answer your question.. What i do feel like is im getting some gold others are just not getting. BUT..... im somewhere in the mid 20 gold wise..... with just 3 10K (1.4 gram, 3 grams, and 6 grams all yellow gold) and that 9K (6.5 grams also yellow gold). Everything else has been 14k and higher. So.... do you think 9khz is some ways missing some low K gold especially white gold? I did get that point .8 gram yellow gold cross. But ....i believe Cliff got more than his share of the 10Ks.

Had an odd one today ...... one of those Ultra light class rings..... sounded small and slow medium pinged in disc with notch set at 27.......i would have sworn it was a bobbie pin. That medium ping is why i dug it. Im getting good depth and if there is a targets there AM sniffs it out ..... i just then need to determine if its a digger. heavy or some near surface iron when switching to Disc with notch at 27 will completely disc..... others gives a slower ping to them, mostly surface iron. Ill say another thing about depth....... some detectors leave you with the feeling after hunting a few hours that you are loosing depth...... not so with the MDT.

cdv
June 01, 2019 12:50AM
9 KHz has no problem in the water with 10k, that's for sure. Dew, you just have higher K beaches than I do!!!!!

Cliff
June 01, 2019 01:04AM
I'm gonna get a set of underwater phones for the MDT. I think I recall someone saying that Tony E. has made a set of his phones for it. That's probably what I will get. I'm interested to see if the MDT handles a particular freshwater beach better than the other VLFs I've had there. The Nox works there but I have to lower the sensitivity down to around 12 to 14 to halfway stop the falsing. Other VLFs were useless there.
June 01, 2019 01:22AM
You shouldn’t have any problem running in fresh water in AM. Cliff .... it’s sure a head scratcher.
June 01, 2019 03:43AM
Daniel...…. That's a bit strange that you have to lower the EQX Sens to such low Sens settings ….. in order to get it to settle down. Have you tried both Beach-1 and Beach-2? And Park-1? (Stay away from Park-2, Field-2 and Prospecting-1 and 2). It may be that the iron mineralization is terrible (when wet); hence, your struggles.
June 01, 2019 05:36AM
This particular beach is the only one that gives me fits. Every machine I've had there has trouble. The CTX 3030 wanted to run auto sensitivity of just 6. Yes, single digit 6. MX Sport and AT Pro was dead weight there. Sometimes they drain the water in the winter and even when hunting the exposed area of the beach, I have trouble with falsing unless I really drop the sensitivity. The ground is a rocky shale bottom with a thin layer of clay and sand on top of it. Nothing is deep so the lower sensitivity doesn't bother me all that much. I have not tried the beach modes...mostly bounce between Park 1 and 2. Park 2 is actually the mode I've found most of my rings with there. I found 2 this week...one of which I was able to return to the owner. I so happened to have saw a post on Facebook from one of her friends that shared her post about losing a ring there. I contacted her and got details and found it within an hour. Was able to return it the next day after finding it.
cdv
June 01, 2019 08:23AM
Daniel, I'm so used to this mild sand down here in Florida, only once did I have problems at a beach with any water detector I've used except at one beach. My CTX was running at 6 when in Auto and I didn't know what the machine was doing....even thought about sending it in for repair due to that.....yet....on the next beach, it was running normal again. Went back to that beach and sure enough, 6 Auto..... now you have me thinking I should get back to that particular beach with the MDT! Can't wait to hear about your results at your beach.....I'm thinking about Tony's headphones for the MDT also, my 25 year old modified Minelab phones are not working up to my expectations, hoping for a better volume out of piezo's.

Cliff
June 01, 2019 10:16AM
Tony contacted me when he first started making them for the Nox. I believe i got the second pair he made. When i got the MDT i had him make me another pair and provided him with the pin out Tom pass along. He originally was just going to do a very few........ ya right, now hes busy lol. Cliff ...... if you dont get a pair before we get to hunt again you can try mine out. They are snorkel ready.... water tight buddy. Patriots are supposed to be good and snorkel ready as well... but you would have to put the M8 on. Only problem ive had on my local beach down here has been EMI when the winds blowing hard. I believe it picks up the power lines...... and it does it to all my machines. Look forward to Daniels report on how it does. I tell you in AM this machine is quiet and it just dont miss much.
June 01, 2019 12:32PM
Daniel...……. you have a very interesting ground matrix. I'm quite surprised to hear about Park-2 working so well. You may want to try a higher Iron Bias setting …. in concert with a higher Target Recovery Response speed. . . . . (if you have not done so...already).
When/If you get a chance to try the MDT there...…. try different combinations of Salt 'on/off' and Black Sand Mode 'on/off'. It'll become fairly obvious (in short order) as to 'which' function performs the best.

Dew...…. a good test would be for you to take your 9Kt (6.5g) ring...…… or any other 9Kt ring that you may have...that is lighter...…… and do some testing at the beach. Ultimately...…. I would rather you use a 10Kt white-gold tiny/lightweight ring for your testing(s). White gold is a (painful) eye-opener. I speculate the MDT will do very well...…. even with the ring on-edge.

Dew & Cliff = Both of you became VERY skilled/comfortable/home/trustworthy of the Equinox. Have either one of you ….gone back to the EQX for any reason? Or are you a ratio......say: 70% MDT and 30% Equinox usage now? (((Can I do things to the MDT....and make it better?)))
June 01, 2019 02:11PM
Tom....... i believe ive used the Nox .....maybe 3 times since Jan with no gold. I sometimes wonder what small gold i could be missing....... but the depth may well be worth that loss of small gold AND the chatter you kind of have to work with. By time you adjust the Nox to run quiet enough im just not sure how much of that small gold we are loosing compared to say the wet sand. Which puts us right back to BBS/FBS hunting in the water. Im also not sure if our finds in the water doesnt have more to do with our intensified hunting. Im not really seeing to many chains posted from in the water or gold that might not be found by other machines. Out of the water...... now there is a clear difference. Im sure i have a small white gold in the box to use Tom. I sent you my "Christmas list" lol. For me HOPING to find smaller gold in the water and not knowing IF im missing deep or smaller gold targets because of chatter..... makes me grab the MDT.

Tom........ you said use a small white gold ring for testing. Those are hard to come by ...... and you told me why..... because most of the gold ive found is with other detectors. I have a very few small ones....... oddly ALL have stones. Smallest is 1.6 grams with a small stone. Now..... how would you test say the Nox against the MDT IN THE WATER? We want to get some water over the coil...... so chest deep seems about where things change.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2019 02:48PM by dewcon4414.
cdv
June 01, 2019 03:15PM
Tom, I've used the MDT exclusively since getting it, only one trip out with the Equinox just to prove it was working.(Had it replaced, water behind the screen)
Just hard to beat "All Metal" on the MDT in or out of the water. I'm now at 0 Threshold and bouncing between 7 & 8 on the Sensitivity.

I'll send a PM with thoughts/desires for making the MDT even better. I think if I look, I have a few small white gold rings that can be used for testing.

Cliff
June 02, 2019 05:10PM
It’s great seeing these finds you guys are making, Dew, Cliff, Aaron and everyone involved with the MDT keep up the good hunt. Daniel, hang in there the MDT is a remarkable piece of equipment, before my knee went south that’s all I use now. Give it time, it has its place. In my area, MDT has an edge over the Equniox, both fresh water black sand and inland hunting. The only mode Equniox has to come close with the MDT on black sand is prospecting mode. Even then MDT just handles black sand better ,

I’ve been babysitting a bad knee, finally went out. Can’t metal detect until it’s repaired, have an MRI this week hopefully they find the problem and fix it.

We are so fortunate Dimitar created the MDT, and choose Tom to help promote this wonderful piece of equipment.

Paul
June 02, 2019 06:57PM
Hope that knee gets better soon Sir, your probably having just as much fun flying those drone snwzy!

TARSACCI - “Digging deeper, BEHIND the competition!”
[forums.tarsaccisales.com]
June 02, 2019 07:54PM
Cliff....is it possible my beach has really been picked over by other hunters.... leaving me to dig the high K which because weight is deeper? In 9 kHz if you pay attention in AM it’s so quiet a running machine you don’t miss much.
cdv
June 02, 2019 08:23PM
Paul, sure hope they get that knee figured out and fixed so you can get back out there!

Dew, anything is possible but with the number of hunters on our beaches I doubt that makes much of a difference. I really believe your main beach has higher K depositors then my main beach has... :-)
I agree the higher K rings will sink further faster due to the higher specific gravity/density.

On a side note, maybe your Mark is just better than my Ron at keeping the beach clean of gold.... winking smiley

Cliff
June 03, 2019 03:23AM
First gold with Tarsacci tonight. About 1” depth, VDI was 4-5, 2 gram earring.
BlackS- off
Salinity -27
Tracking -off
Fc - 18k
TrH -2
Disc -15
Sens- 9
Gb- 611
Disc

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/03/2019 03:32AM by Aaron.
June 03, 2019 03:37AM
Tony emailed me this afternoon saying my headphones were finished. I should hopefully have them some time later this week. They are my favorite set for the Equinox so I imagine they will be equally well on the MDT. Looking forward to getting them and putting the Tarsacci to work in freshwater.

Are you guys sticking to the 30 minute submersion guidelines, or have you started to stretch your time out with it? I don't plan on diving with the unit but I do spend quite a bit of time with my Equinox control box submerged in about 1 to 2 feet of water above it. This equals to about chest deep water on me. That's more the less as deep as I will ever get with the MDT. If you just go 30 mins in water...how long do you keep the unit out before you go back in?
June 03, 2019 09:43AM

I have the earring cleaned up, however as you can see it won’t load one of the pics up, that’s the real good one. Oh well. Nice piece of au for a earring.

Aaron
June 03, 2019 11:10AM
I dont have read this long thread so, how it work with traditional square pulltab ?
I Know pulltab can be gold...
but did the pulltab fall in thé same ID and sound ?

Thanks
June 03, 2019 02:40PM
Very nice piece of gold jewelry Aaron,

Bet that was a pleasent surprise, and a beauty too with the thin chains.

Congratulations!
Paul
June 03, 2019 02:55PM
Thanks Paul!

Get that knee rehabbed and get back to that Tarsacci, we need more dirt diggers! I feel like only one!!!!

Aaron
June 03, 2019 03:59PM
I’ve got battery question.
I had at least 30hrs on my machine before the batterie FINALLY went down to 3 bars. Then I went to turn it on after I hadn’t used it in close to 2 weeks and it was dead.
Anyone else experience this?

Aaron