Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

ON THE HORIZON = MDT-8000

Posted by NASA-Tom 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: ON THE HORIZON = MDT-8000
June 19, 2019 03:22AM
FINALLY...….. we now have received the certification of FCC and CE for the MDT. This means that we can sell to anyone around the World now.

Peter = Let that learning-curve begin! Looks like you are well underway.
June 19, 2019 03:25AM
NIIIICE, CONGRATS!
June 19, 2019 06:36AM
That’s fantastic Tom!

Great news for serious detectorist hunters across the pond, they’re going to enjoy the MDT. I’m very happy for both you and Dimitar, you guys deserve it!

I haven’t detected in 2-3 months, hopefully soon maybe in a few months can swing the MDT. Until then, may swing by and visit Dimitar.

Congratulations!
Paul

NASA-Tom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> FINALLY...….. we now have received the certificati
> on of FCC and CE for the MDT. This means that we c
> an sell to anyone around the World now.
>
> Peter = Let that learning-curve begin! Looks like
> you are well underway.
June 19, 2019 10:27AM
Congrats Tom. I wasnt aware that was a hold up ..... or even a requirement for that matter. Im also glad to see more using it for dirt digging. Heres hoping you both good luck and that we see more finds from this machine posted. When you start talking a couple of inches of depth over what we are using at the beach....... THAT my friends is significant.
cdv
June 19, 2019 10:31AM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
> FINALLY...….. we now have received the certificati
> on of FCC and CE for the MDT. This means that we c
> an sell to anyone around the World now.
>

Tom, Dimitar....that is great news. What seems (to me) to be a slow adoption/rollout of this machine may now take bigger steps. I was leery of purchasing this machine but it has become my go to machine for the beach. The target depth on gold rings alone is what keeps me taking the MDT and it sure lets you know when you hit a shallower fresh drop!

Dimitar, keep up the good work.....can't wait to see what you "may" come up with next!

Cliff
June 19, 2019 11:08AM
It had been 'applied for'; yet, I wasn't aware it would be SUCH a process. Glad it's finally conquered.

Apolonio ……. was wondering where you were. Hope to see you back up in FULL support soon!
June 22, 2019 05:12AM
The first 100 hours....

Well that is what I calling it as I dive head first into the MDT-8000.
Hour #2

Hour #2 presented some very interesting targets. One "issue" I had with one target was kinda interesting. I got what I thought was a deep high tone that pin pointed small and consistently in the same spot. I thought "my first deep conductor!". I dug down 12" and zip in the bottom of the hole. Stood up and again swung with the exact same location dead center of the hole. Used my pin pointer and located a target at the top edge of the hole... A clad dime 3-1/2" down. Pulled that and re-swung over the hole again. This time nothing. In the pic below you can see the rough (was actually 1" in the side) position of the dime relative to the hole center.... Not sure how that happened but I have everything marked so I can replicate the issue and study it further.

This next target was kinda hilarious... I am building an "express easy target area" where I plan to have a simplified test section to use while I construct/dig the permanent test garden locations. I am going after one signal that was starting to get the best of me. Well this was why. A nice long old nail that of course was laying perfectly horizontal and pointing perfectly into the area of my temporary test location. (Remember those numerous nail(s) scenarios from Tom's "Inland Relic and Coin Hunting" video????) I had another hole where like above, had the target pin pointed.... Low and behold it was a nail laying flat and 8" or so away from the pin point spot.

Lastly the settings I am currently using. I am liking the "Mix" mode a fair bit. I need to dial in the multi tone settings in All Metal because I would really like to learn hearing everything in the ground and training my ears to discern ferrous and non-ferrous metals. Especially at depth.

salt 39 (I did not realize this function was activated/highlighted)
FC 6.4khz
TH -2
Dsc -1
Sens 6
GB 625

Last pic is my temporary test garden under construction. I am using both MDT and my goldmaxx to clean the area. Once I start digging each of the permanent test location areas, I will be doing the same thing except using a painters cloth to spread the dirt out and run my big Rare Earth magnate over it to really get the bits out. (Oh and I will be digging individual holes for each test spot-Not the "trench" approach)
Oh the stick I am using has the targets glued on in 14" centers. I have a silver dime, old copper token, a rusty nail, a dime and penny together and a dime with a modern screw next to it.

Really enjoying learning this machine. Don't get me wrong, it's work and slow going, but I know will be worth it in the end.
Peter

What was once impossible..... is now easy and obvious. BUT.......... if : You don't know...what you don't know........ it continues to appear/look impossible.
-Thomas Dankowski

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2019 05:15PM by SilverPeter.
June 22, 2019 12:55PM
Am I the only one not seeing any pictures in SilverPeters post?
June 22, 2019 01:16PM
No dice here too.....

TARSACCI - “Digging deeper, BEHIND the competition!”
[forums.tarsaccisales.com]
June 22, 2019 03:02PM
Ditto! HH jim tn
June 22, 2019 04:58PM
SilverPeter....... i use TinyPic so i can size the picture to forum size. Nope.... no picture.

Ok..... some of us now have the O rings for the battery cap... both the black and Red ones. Thanks Dimitar for that. Now...... my next NEED is those rubber washers. They appear to be MM as well...... anyone got an ID/OD and thickness on them .. or better yet a part No. I checked the local hardware with no success.
June 22, 2019 05:02PM
Let me look into that. I am using Google pics and i can see them fine on two different PC's but not on my Iphone.
OK will re-group. Thanks, Peter
June 22, 2019 08:11PM
You got the pictures fixed. Good job!

As far as the dime...…… sounds like it may have been on-edge...….. which will cause it to pinpoint incorrectly.

Thanks for the Kudo's on the FCC & CE certification process. One of the crazy 'pushes' for doing this is...…. Dimitar had discovered that the MDT is doing better than PI's in New Zealand 40% ironstone soil. Soooooo…….. let's see if we can be more 'International' available/accessible.
June 23, 2019 11:29AM
Anybody have a few cap o-rings they would like to sell as my red one broke but thankfully no water got by the cap o-ring.
June 23, 2019 12:08PM
Black or red buddy? PM me an address.........ill send you a few. I also have the PN to them both if you need that from McMaster-Carr..... black ones 9262K657 Oil-Resistant Buna-N O-Ring, 1.5 mm Wide, 36 mm ID, Packs of 100 and the RED ones PN 1173N018...... 25 pack.
June 23, 2019 04:31PM
Thanks dewey but cliff offered me a couple of the ones he got from you. When you meet up with cliff again just give him a couple more to replace what he gave me. Thank you. I still need to figure out how it broke so it wont happen again.
June 27, 2019 02:26AM
Want kind of water phones are you guys using w this machine?

Thanks

Aaron

cdv
June 27, 2019 08:49AM
Aaron, I've tried a modified pair of Minelab's off of an old Excal (worked but volume was low), I have used a pair I made with OBN tubes (audiosears speakers sealed in a tube) good volume, and a pair of Harold phones no longer made (audiosears speakers in a tube) good volume. I have no idea how the newer Grey Ghosts would work and haven't tried the new Patriot headphones (I've heard good things on both) I will say I have a bit of experience on "waterproof" phones. Personally I prefer audiosear speakers in tubes BUT am afraid of using them underwater when snorkel hunting....I'm afraid of my favorite phones getting screwed up from being underwater for lengths of time.....Now, Tony Eisenhower's phones (just got yesterday from Daniel) are a fantastic build. I am getting ready to take them out today and put them underwater to check the volume underwater. When I put them on the MDT yesterday and put them on my head, I had to turn down the volume on the machine to 10 from a max of 15 I had been using with the modified Minelab's. The build of Tony's phones and the headset itself make me feel that they are worth every penny he asks for them.... I will let you know how they work out underwater....

Note that when I say underwater, the machine floats (battery up) so it is still within the specs of the machine, I go to the bottom and reach over for the lower shaft to swing the coil IF needed to help locate the target. I walk in the water with a weight belt on and only drop down on shallow targets. I've been going underwater less with the MDT......it is a deep machine.

Most people use "waterproof" phones just for rain or the occasional dropping in the water/splash from a wave...…I take it a bit further and usually will break a poorly made set in short time(corrosion from getting water inside)... had that problem with one of the first run of the Gray Ghost Amphibians....they have changed a lot since that pair.

Cliff
June 27, 2019 12:22PM
If anyone is interested...…… I have a Demo Tarsacci MDT-8000 that I could sell. It is a complete/full unit...… with batteries and battery charger...….. and a set of headphones with a M8 connector already installed. This should help someone who really wants to get into a MDT; yet, via a bit lower cost/price. If you live close to me...…. you can pick it up in-person....and I will give you a hands-on training session.....to bring you up-to-speed.
June 27, 2019 03:02PM
That is a Golden opportunity for someone. A great machine AND training by Tom.

Peter

What was once impossible..... is now easy and obvious. BUT.......... if : You don't know...what you don't know........ it continues to appear/look impossible.
-Thomas Dankowski
June 27, 2019 03:25PM
CONCUR.

June 29, 2019 02:29AM
The first 100 hours....

Well that is what I am calling it as I dive head first into the MDT-8000.
Hour #3-4

Great time learning this machine all the way around. Interesting thing happened yesterday which I will record if it happens again. When 9khz is activated the detector sounded off like I was right over an 110v electrical supply. I tried ground balancing and no luck. All the other frequencies were just fine and stable. Went out again to the same location and everything is normal sounding thru all freq's.

Sample of what I am finding... Crazy small targets coming out in the 3" to 5" range in depth. (Size comparisons for scale)

The last image above was one of my early successes. Iron and a conductor found together.

Below is an adaptation I am making to the cord. I have been having issues with the cord getting caught during my "energetic" digging method. Anyway I bought a short coil piece to act as a relief and so far so good. The cord is still hanging to low so will need to zip tie it up a bit to get it away from the coil. Also having issue with using the pin pointer button. I have to drop the MDT to severe right angle to hit the button. This of course tilts the coil and defeats the use of the PP mode. The work around I have found is to simply bring the opposite hand over to hit the PP button. (I just have to remember to bring the sheath for the digging tool)

Thanks all for reading!
Peter in Oregon.

-Thomas Dankowski
June 29, 2019 10:57AM
I had a bit of a problem with the angle of the M8. My finger kept touching or pushing on it and it seemed a bit ackward. So when Tony did my phones he changed it to point and go over the top of the shaft.
June 29, 2019 01:26PM
Good report Peter. Yes, you will start to hear the audio nuances of Fe/Non-Fe co-locate scenario's. The 'different' approach as to 'how' this unit handles mineralization; presents a 'different' way it handles iron. This can be utilized to advantageous status..... (of which you are experiencing/employing).
July 01, 2019 02:46AM
Saw this posted about new coil for Tarsacci.
Don’t know if true or not.
[community.paydirt.co.nz]
July 01, 2019 11:19AM
Dimitar didnt mention his new coil the other day, but did say the machine was working very well in NZs soil.

"Briefly…What I WILL say is… this is an entirely different beast to anything I have used over the years…the result being I am down to using only 2 machines with the Tarsacci being used 95% of the time…a turn on and go machine with over 25 hours of battery life. All carbon fibre, ergonomically beautifully light and well balanced to swing an easy 6 hours plus. The list goes on…So…there you have it! Not a VLF or PI machine…but Multi Domain Technology with Visual display…another advancement in metal detecting units"

Much like this person ive only picked up the Nox or any other machine about 3 or 4 times. The MDT doesnt miss recent drops.....its quieter..... and DEEPER than my other machines as well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2019 01:21PM by dewcon4414.
July 03, 2019 04:54PM
The first 100 hours....

Hour #5

My Finds from 2 separate spots. First off:
Wife had to run a few errands at a nearby city so got 45 minutes at a late 1800's era park. First went through the sand features to see how stable I could get the MDT running. Ran with black sand and had some interesting results. Using the P/P on targets is totally different than most other machines I am finding. The MDT will scream at targets that are 3-5" down. Hard to get use to but I am trying. The pic below shows 3 targets I isolated as best I could... The iron bit was down 3.5". The '87 cent was down just under 5" and the pull tab down at nearly 6". Again-The P/P on the pull tab sounded though it was at or near the surface. I almost walked on but realized the tone was faint enough to tell me it was a target several inches down. (ie. not at the surface) In my old way of thinking, if I could hear a faint target, but could not get a P/P location for it, I would automatically dig that target.
Each target I ran thru all 3 modes to study/learn each of the sounds. Also I swing with 3 different cadences to hear how any given target changes tones. This is a huge one that I am going to find the most benefit.

The image below shows to me the crazy power the MDT has. In Mix mode (So far my favorite) I was getting the typical iron tone (first sound) followed by a faint but repeatable (mid) tone. It did not always repeat as I rotated around the target, BUT when it did sound off, it seemed to be in the same location. As I dug, sure enough a small rusty nail at just 3". Off to the side and down at 4-1/2" was the little mid tone sounding bit. (Does this scenario sound interesting to any relic hunters out there?!?!?!?!)

If you are wondering about the measurement, yes I carry a tape measure with as I document what/how I make my finds. My backyard which is where I am doing most of my learning on is not the best site. It is extremely iron infested with both nails and melted items. This house is just old enough for the days when people still burned/buried trash in their backyard. So as I clean sections out to create my test garden, I already am getting a great education in a super tuff location. Thanks all for reading. On we go.
Peter

-Thomas Dankowski
July 04, 2019 07:39PM
The first 100 hours....

Hour #6

I have to jump in here and first thank Tom for the great comment above. Much appreciated!!

I don't have much time today to be online, but had to pass this little gem along... Last night spent some more time training and got a strange signal next to my temporary test garden. About 10" from my Merc dime spot (9-1/2" down) was a deep sounding mixed tone(s) that I had trouble locating. Well yeah I had trouble since it was 8.5-9" down! Anyway I got a couple pics from the area and wanted to also note: While I may or may not have heard those rusty staples, the fact the MDT could pick those out of my handfulls of dirt was pretty amazing. (I mean really amazing) Pictured is a complete staple, the other portions of the staples I found must still be in my finds bag.

This is not a small point I am making... Under many other detectors, I would have completely missed those as they would have been nulled out. The point is I ALSO would have missed anything else good in that handfull of dirt via masking. I am 100's of hours away form really seeing all the good that a machine like this can do. But so far I am really amazed at the ability to find small conductors among iron/trash, and at depth.
Peter

-Thomas Dankowski
July 04, 2019 09:37PM
Deleted

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2019 09:39PM by reddirtdigger.
July 05, 2019 02:32PM
SilverPeter Wrote:

> I don't have much time today to be online, but had
> to pass this little gem along... Last night spent
> some more time training and got a strange signal n
> ext to my temporary test garden. About 10" from my
> Merc dime spot (9-1/2" down) was a deep sounding m
> ixed tone(s) that I had trouble locating. Well yea
> h I had trouble since it was 8.5-9" down! Anyway I
> got a couple pics from the area and wanted to also
> note: While I may or may not have heard those rust
> y staples, the fact the MDT could pick those out o
> f my handfulls of dirt was pretty amazing. (I mean
> really amazing) Pictured is a complete staple, the
> other portions of the staples I found must still b
> e in my finds bag.
>
> This is not a small point I am making... Under man
> y other detectors, I would have completely missed
> those as they would have been nulled out. The poin
> t is I ALSO would have missed anything else good i
> n that handfull of dirt via masking. I am 100's of
> hours away form really seeing all the good that a
> machine like this can do. But so far I am really a
> mazed at the ability to find small conductors amon
> g iron/trash, and at depth.
> Peter

The MDT will null out staples just fine in Disc mode.

If your other detectors could not pick up a staple in all metal mode, that would not be considered nulling. It would just be a very weak detector.

Most detectors should be able to detect a staple in all metal.

Edited 10 time(s). Last edit at 07/05/2019 03:03PM by Badger in NH.