Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

ON THE HORIZON = MDT-8000

Posted by NASA-Tom 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: ON THE HORIZON = MDT-8000
July 26, 2019 01:04PM
The Summer is for some reason slower to produce the gold. But i have a few pictures of some finds for June. I seem to be finding a good many chain dangles.... but not the chains.... ugh. Last pic is me .... shows why i go thru coil covers...... but i believe i gain a lot of inches over other hunters. I put marine epoxy on them to help with the wear. When I found that small cross I started lookin for the chain. Figured silver could be an easy find. I was in waist deep water ....got a bang and in the first small scoop out came that gold chain.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2019 12:28AM by dewcon4414.
July 26, 2019 02:06PM
VERY nice Dew!...…. to include a lot of 'small' gold! Did the diamonds test 'good' on that gold crucifix?
July 26, 2019 02:29PM
Ha....thought I had a real score on that one ....but nope they were CZs. I got another that month as well not shown. Two more dangles this month... and as you can see they were on pretty substantial size chains. They are just hard to find out there regardless of machine. Don’t know if they are in the deeper water, got grabbed before they came off, someone’s getting to um first, or just why more aren’t found. They stay on my bucket list.
July 27, 2019 11:51AM
Great stuff Dew!

TARSACCI - “Digging deeper, BEHIND the competition!”
[forums.tarsaccisales.com]
July 30, 2019 01:43AM
For those that might be interested...…. there is a new Tarsacci dealer. His name is Greg...…and is based out of the San Francisco Bay area. Here is his web-site:

[www.transbaymetaldetectors.com]

The Tarsacci is listed under the General Purpose metal detectors section...…. and with a field-test.

FYI!
July 30, 2019 04:26AM
I went over the whole website. It's not quite ready for prime time, to say the least.

Past(or)Tom
Using a Legend, a Deus 2, an Equinox 800, a Tarsacci MDT 8000, & a few others...
with my beloved, fading Corgi, Sadie
July 30, 2019 12:18PM
I agree...... he needs to take the time to do a little better job on that website. That was a great shot of his finds. I read the review and settings.... he didnt really say what he was running sensitivity wise.... i assume he was adjusting on the fly and i dont know if he turned off the salt setting while in the dry sand? Its great to get some reviews......hopefully after a few months he will revisit and do a follow up review..... even better more shops spreading the word.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2019 04:55PM by dewcon4414.
July 30, 2019 04:41PM
Thought id try Ricks website POSTIMAGE for posting pictures. This is a few finds from July. Heading out on a road trip to St. Augustine and then Savannah. Maybe ill get lucky and this storm will move some buried targets for me. Im hoping to get some detecting in ... but with plans it sounds like ill be busy. This month was like winter hunting still..... really badly sanded in .... just no real trough, more hunters. the hard pan was making it easy for about anyone to pick up the recent drops. Hey.... but they missed a few of the smalls. The one heavy ring was really deep and that day i got 4 or 5 SS, TI and Tung that were almost as deep.....just crazy how deep this machine can find these rings. Stones on the gun and Jesus were CZs. The two others did have diamonds....... and they were white gold. The heavy ring was 8.3 grams and the smaller ones both were 10k 1.9 grams. I found everything in the water. Ive had the MDT about 6 mos now .... a good 40 golds. Conditions seems to be getting worse each year..... so im VERY please with how this machine is doing.

I was running in 9khz, 0 threshold, 9 sensitivity, BS off, salt 30, AM with a reverse disc of +28 to knock out most iron wrap around.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2019 04:52PM by dewcon4414.
July 30, 2019 06:24PM
Pasttom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I went over the whole website. It's not quite rea
> dy for prime time, to say the least.

Not just the website. His shop needs work too. He doesn't even bother to properly wrap the cables on his display models. He must spend most of his time out hunting.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2019 06:25PM by Badger in NH.
July 30, 2019 07:27PM
I know that name.....hey if he’s out detecting he has a thumbs up form me I like a guy that USES a machine if he’s going to sell me one. I wished more dealers would take a serious look at this machine.

I would like someone to see what it takes to be able to run 12 and 18khz in the salt water as efficiently as in 9khz. I can get them to run but it calls for a very high salt balance. I’m not knowledgeable enough to say ....nor have I did any testing on buried targets using those high salt setting. There is a depth advantage to those freq in the wet sand....inches. I’m certain I’m getting 2 or 3 inches over how I have to run my Nox even using 9khz. In the wet sand 12 could get a couple of more over 9khz...put that to use in the water and ....wow.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/31/2019 11:42AM by dewcon4414.
July 30, 2019 10:04PM

dewcon4414 Wrote:
> I know that name.....hey if he’s out detecting he
> has a thumbs up form me I like a guy that USES a m
> achine if he’s going to sell me one. I wished mor
> e dealers would take a serious look at this machin
> e.

Glad to see things have changed for the better.
Peter
July 31, 2019 02:09AM
Dew..... VERY nice finds. I 'focus' on the small stuff. Glad to see you are getting them...… AND...…. glad to see that you can run Sens '9' and Thresh '0'.

Yes...… Greg is not a web-site guru! He's a hunter.
August 09, 2019 02:28PM
SOLD! I have a 3 month old Tarsacci MDT 8000 for sale.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2019 04:22PM by northgeorgiarelics.
August 12, 2019 05:33PM
I just received two independent reports from MDT owners..... both reporting about the ease/ability to find (in particular) silver coins in bad dirt. Anyone else experience this?
This poses data that soldiers in the Civil War may have carried more coinage … than previously thought.
August 12, 2019 08:54PM

NASA-Tom [ PM ]
I just received two independent reports from MDT owners..... both reporting about the ease/ability to find (in particular) silver coins in bad dirt. Anyone else experience this?
This poses data that soldiers in the Civil War may have carried more coinage … than previously thought.

Sadly not me... In three different late 1800's/early 1900's parks with silver found in the past. My ferrous numbers (ratio) to modern coin is pretty bad. Around 24:1

I am having a struggle with still finding nails, foil ect deep, with similar characteristics to coins. In fact when i pull a nail or other ferrous item out, I will drop in a coin to hear the differences. Very much the same from what I can tell. Similar pin point, occasional repeat-ability the same too. Heck i pulled a dime size piece of foil at 13"!! Amazing for sure, just would like to lean towards the non ferrous items more. The MDT seems to struggle a bit with deep items, as the machine still appears to be briefly cut out. (Will keep adjusting the battery cover till i get that fixed if that is what it is.

Peter

What was once impossible..... is now easy and obvious. BUT.......... if : You don't know...what you don't know........ it continues to appear/look impossible.
-Thomas Dankowski

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2019 04:07PM by SilverPeter.
August 12, 2019 09:03PM
Are you adjusting the metal plate screw? Mine did that and that plate was to tight so if it got tilted slightly when cleaning it stayed in that position and didn’t make contact. I lessened the screw just a tad and it nd had no more problems.
August 12, 2019 09:27PM
Nope-Just the plastic knob. Will take it apart and see if that is the issue.
Thanks!
Peter
August 12, 2019 09:47PM
Don’t over tighten that cap. I use 2 fingers to do it. What you will find is a small SS washer behind the plate to fit it the right distance. I have no doubt loosening it will cure you problem.
August 13, 2019 02:05AM
Peter...….. it sounds like you've got the depth; but, your ID's of deep items are challenging. How bad is your dirt mineralization?
Another thing I'm wondering is: Maybe you are achieving depths that most other detectors can not achieve; yet, they are weak signals to the MDT..... that are (weak) difficult for the ID circuitry to properly function.
August 13, 2019 03:15PM

NASA-Tom Wrote:
> Peter...….. it sounds like you've got the depth; b
> ut, your ID's of deep items are challenging. How b
> ad is your dirt mineralization?
> Another thing I'm wondering is: Maybe you are achi
> eving depths that most other detectors can not ach
> ieve; yet, they are weak signals to the MDT..... t
> hat are (weak) difficult for the ID circuitry to p
> roperly function.

Yes mineralization in these areas is not so good. My previous machine (Minelab SE) struggled a fair bit in these spots. One of the sites over the weekend was particularly bad, but still got some deep targets. The depth I am getting is amazing compared to older machines. However my target quality is still not so good. My concerns are once I get to a few older sites (stage stops) I am going to struggle with the same issues??

With those that can easily obtain silver at depth, they seem to be able to ID targets pretty easily. (Even in bad dirt as mentioned) My main focus will be quality relic/conductor targets, and of course coins down from that. I think I just need to keep adjusting controls in Mix mode till I can get dialed in.
Peter

What was once impossible..... is now easy and obvious. BUT.......... if : You don't know...what you don't know........ it continues to appear/look impossible.
-Thomas Dankowski
August 13, 2019 03:30PM
"Amazing depths" in bad dirt can only help so much...… when …….. what is needed...….. is better ID/clues as to conductivity of target.
August 13, 2019 04:24PM
Badger in NH Wrote:
> Pasttom Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I went over the whole website. It's not quite r
> ea
> > dy for prime time, to say the least.
>
>
> Not just the website. His shop needs work too. He
> doesn't even bother to properly wrap the cables on
> his display models. He must spend most of his time
> out hunting.
>
> .

This guy runs his shop out of his garage. Been around the bay area for a while, but yeah he could hire a teenager to revamp his website a bit, it's about the worst I've ever seen eye rolling smiley
August 13, 2019 05:24PM

NASA-Tom Wrote:
> "Amazing depths" in bad dirt can only help so much
> ...… when …….. what is needed...….. is better ID/c
> lues as to conductivity of target.

Correct-I really need to find the right combo that works without loss of depth. When I get over (what I feel is a deep target) I do toggle between Disc and Mix modes. Every time Disc fades out, Mix mode always brings up the target to the surface nicely.

My overall concern is that when i get to the good locations, I am operating things the best way I can.
Will be curious to see how others are doing with their better operation capacities with regards to deep silver as posted above.

And here is the cap assembly.. Is that the work around on the cap? Or is it in the arm piece below the battery??

I did back the fastener out about 1.5 turns to see if that does the trick.

-Thomas Dankowski

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2019 06:29PM by SilverPeter.
August 13, 2019 09:41PM
Peter...… I've been giving this some 'thunk-time'. We've got a non-PI unit going record-breaking deep in bad dirt.....,,,,,, but.... sketchy/bad ID. Dimitar put 18 years into this platform … before release (and year 19 is complete). There's still technology and control-panel configuration to 'discover'.
Right now...….. here's my thought: Can you try a Ground Balanced SALT Mode config on the MDT..... in your bad dirt?.....and see if this slightly helps with better ID at these fringe depths? If you are finding/detecting a small piece of foil at 13"...… but it's ID'ing "iron"...….,,,,,,,,...….. I'd like to see it (at minimum) give a bouncing ID of ferrous and non-ferrous..... to (at least) "clue" you.... that you may have a deep non-ferrous target.
August 13, 2019 10:28PM

NASA-Tom [ PM ]
Re: ON THE HORIZON = MDT-8000 New
August 13, 2019 09:41PM
Peter...… I've been giving this some 'thunk-time'. We've got a non-PI unit going record-breaking deep in bad dirt.....,,,,,, but.... sketchy/bad ID. Dimitar put 18 years into this platform … before release (and year 19 is complete). There's still technology and control-panel configuration to 'discover'.
Right now...….. here's my thought: Can you try a Ground Balanced SALT Mode config on the MDT..... in your bad dirt?.....and see if this slightly helps with better ID at these fringe depths? If you are finding/detecting a small piece of foil at 13"...… but it's ID'ing "iron"...….,,,,,,,,...….. I'd like to see it (at minimum) give a bouncing ID of ferrous and non-ferrous..... to (at least) "clue" you.... that you may have a deep non-ferrous target.

Thank you for the reply on this Tom!!

To make sure I have the procedure correct:
So the screen shot above is my current setting. (w/st23 on) Do I simply hold the GB button down while I slowly count to 5 and raise the coil 10" off the ground?
If there is anything else I can do, let me know.
Peter
August 13, 2019 10:48PM
Tom/Peter when I had my Tarsacci, in my moderately mineralized dirt, Black Sand ON provided both better depth and ID. Now what I noticed about deep targets in my dirt was that mixed mode gave the best response. On the fringe of the Tarsacci's depth abilities I would get negative mixed with positive numbers up to about 22-23 anything higher than that was usually iron wrap. On the fringe of it's detection abilities I couldn't get an accurate ID, but I could tell ferrous from non-ferrous most of the time. Kind of wish I still had the Tarsacci to mess around with but ran into some financial issues. I know it has some great potential but you have to experiment with all the settings to dial it in for your ground.
August 13, 2019 11:33PM

Abenson
August 13, 2019 10:48pm
Tom/Peter when I had my Tarsacci, in my moderately mineralized dirt, Black Sand ON provided both better depth and ID. Now what I noticed about deep targets in my dirt was that mixed mode gave the best response. On the fringe of the Tarsacci's depth abilities I would get negative mixed with positive numbers up to about 22-23 anything higher than that was usually iron wrap. On the fringe of it's detection abilities I couldn't get an accurate ID, but I could tell ferrous from non-ferrous most of the time. Kind of wish I still had the Tarsacci to mess around with but ran into some financial issues. I know it has some great potential but you have to experiment with all the settings to dial it in for your ground.

Thanks Abenson. Will try the Black Sand on and see how that goes. What was your procedure for ground balancing that worked if I may ask??
Peter
August 13, 2019 11:44PM
Yes just loosen up the screw on that cap a little which makes contact on the metal piece at the top of the tube which completes the electrical circuit.
August 14, 2019 12:02AM
Peter I just pushed the GB button and raised it 10 inches off the ground and that's all it takes.
August 14, 2019 12:55AM
Dewcon4414, Abenson and Tom:

Appreciate the great reply's. Will check those later tomorrow.
Peter