Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

ON THE HORIZON = MDT-8000

Posted by NASA-Tom 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: ON THE HORIZON = MDT-8000
November 07, 2019 04:41PM

NASA-Tom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Peter...…. what are your settings? It almost sound
> s like you are running Sens on the high end.
> Are you using wireless headphones that may have so
> me latency? Kinda weird that targets would pinpoin
> t nearly a foot away!
> I believe Oregon is a part of the gold-bearing bel
> t. You can use 18Khz; yet, you may want to run in
> the Salt mode...… with Salt being set on 30...…. o
> r even 35.

Thanks Tom for the follow up.
Settings:

Blks On
Salt 23
Track Off
Freq 12k
TrH -2
Dsc +4
Sens 6
GB 612

EDIT* Using standard headphones that came with the MDT

What was once impossible..... is now easy and obvious. BUT.......... if : You don't know...what you don't know........ it continues to appear/look impossible.
-Thomas Dankowski

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2019 05:17PM by SilverPeter.
November 07, 2019 06:04PM
To follow up... I made the changes and did lower the Sens to 5 and 4 to see how that would air test. There seems to be a 1" to 1.5" loss in depth with each lowered number.
Not terrible in my opinion, as the ground I am in seems to be kicking back these stray "ghost" signals.

Also-One of the square nails that came in with a mixed coin signal from the ground, now air tests as solid Iron. Interesting!

Peter

What was once impossible..... is now easy and obvious. BUT.......... if : You don't know...what you don't know........ it continues to appear/look impossible.
-Thomas Dankowski
OBN
November 08, 2019 02:36AM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
> It really makes a statement when the 11-hours-per-
> day...… 6-days-per-week.... diehards..... have per
> manently switched over to the MDT...… ,,,,,,, and
> never going back to their Excal's, EQX's, CZ's, CT
> X's.
> And THIS is exactly what inspires Dimitar to 'laun
> ch deeper'.

You mean there is more then one that hunts as much as Dew? I swear he has to be one of the best in shape hunters I know to do this and he's no spring chicken.

Blood Member of RingKeepers
2020......Gold Rings....73....Misc Gold 1 .......Silvers ...110
November 08, 2019 10:45AM
Joe.... ive not been able to hunt everyday any more THINGS just keep me out of the water, between honey dew list, grandson living with us, and water conditions. But .... i find enough to make me keep swinging. Im heading toward 70.... but i still try to get that 4 mile run in as often as i can too. All that said thou............id be done water hunting if i had to drag a boat in the water during the winter like you. Even with a dry suit......it take some real motivation/desire. Lot of respect for you.... you research, get out there i some harsh weather, and just find some of the best old gold I’ve seen..... and if I need something you’ve been there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2019 11:31AM by dewcon4414.
November 08, 2019 08:39PM
Peter...….. sounds like your settings are reasonable. Yes...… you may want to try Sens 4 or 5. But...…….also...……. you may want to try a Salt Balance of 30...….. or even 35...….. if falsing persists. I'm hoping you have time to try these few things!

Badger...… noted!!!
November 14, 2019 09:30PM
The sand today was really bad.... even at knee deep you could feel the sand moving like quick sand under your feet. Just no real hard pan. So... there wasnt much but trash and a few coins. The watch is a Swiss Military ...... it hit at 14 on the MDT and was about 10" down. I seem to be doing better on watches than gold this month....... just bleak out there. I saw NO hunters today at all. I noticed the date on the water was the 20th....... makes we wonder if thats the day it was lost? I looked at it right away and it was running .......

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2019 09:33PM by dewcon4414.
November 15, 2019 01:07AM
Nice find. A $100.00 watch.
November 15, 2019 04:10PM
Dew...…… I'm glad the watch did not ID as 'iron'! (((Is it still running? Salvageable?))).
November 15, 2019 06:00PM
Yes Tom. In real good shape. Odd thou the date was the 20th. So did my movement of digging it up start it again. If so can I assume it was lost about that time? I had a local watch maker check both watches out.... all good. No on it reading as iron a 12 air testing. I’m not sure why... but the other watch air tests at 9 about where I would have expected it to. So I’m wondering if depth, location on the coil and a hot coil caused the odd iron reading? But the way I’m using the machine I wasn’t going to leave it.
November 16, 2019 12:54AM
If it's a self-wind...… I would speculate that it was lost a day (or two) earlier.
November 16, 2019 02:44PM
I was thinking a couple of days after its lose.... and yes it is battery ran. So...... in less than a month in waist deep water it got buried a good 10". That was on a fairly flat area about waist deep..... and its a flat surface target. Makes you think about sand movement and larger gold.
November 16, 2019 08:22PM
Hello From France !

Tomorow a new hunt on the beach to learn how use the MDT. I add a TROND V5 bluetooth an i will use à monitor bluetooth marshall headphone. The sound is perfect and there are no delay.

Magus Détection !
November 16, 2019 09:36PM
Magus Detection Wrote:
> Hello From France !
>
> Tomorow a new hunt on the beach to learn how use t
> he MDT. I add a TROND V5 bluetooth an i will use à
> monitor bluetooth marshall headphone. The sound is
> perfect and there are no delay.
>
> Magus Détection !

I'm using the Trond V5 transmitter with the Trond V4.2 headphones and they work great with the MDT. Trond makes good stuff.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2019 09:46PM by Badger in NH.
November 17, 2019 07:04PM
Hello

First Hunt today on wet sand on the beach. The detector is incredible. Powerful, no false signal, i dig hole at 15 inches, you are right it looks better than Equinox.

I use it in mix mode, ground balance : 626; salt : 26; 12 khz, sensibility at 8. Treshold -2

I've never seen a mono frequency metal detector so powerful on the beach.

Magus detection
November 17, 2019 08:17PM
I think you get even more out of it running AM. Digits get bouncy with 9 sensitivity and 0 threshold...... BUT over a target you know it. It doesnt miss much. I use disc with the notch set at 28 for checking the AM target in the water. Also..... on dry sand you should be able to run 18 and 12 with the salt setting OFF for a bit more sensitivity. It will certainly surprise you how much raw power it has on the beach.
November 17, 2019 10:16PM
Magus...… you will find...….. as you get (even just a small amount) more experience...… the MDT performance goes up even further. We have (somewhat deliberately) underrated the MDT.
November 18, 2019 07:28AM
Hello

Yes ! Thank's for your answers !

Magus.
November 22, 2019 11:40AM
Well we are getting into the winter hunting now..... things change. Yesterday they had out the yellow flags for the red tide......but the day was a beauty... calm water and sunshine. Red Tide locally has made it a hit or miss on you getting in the water or even on the beach. The water has gotten cooler so its wet suit time. It seems sand is moving and its moving mostly light and surface JUNK. I hit patches of it yesterday ... lots of bottle caps. Something we really havent seen in some time. The sand is still moving in from the outer sand bars making it shallow..... so people are going out further.... IF they even get in the water. More people detecting will be wet/dry sand hunting. Crowds were down..... and will be until after Christmas, but thats normal. Its no longer about covering a LOT of beach...... its about doing it slower and meticulously. Something the MDT is well suited to do. Crank it up in AM ...... and listen for a target, its as close as it gets to a disc PI. I found this one about a full scoop down. 4.3 grams 14K I was running AM 0 threshold, 9 sensitivity. I was reverse hunting (using AM but switching to disc when i needed to ID a target) so i had my disc set with a notch at 28 to ID iron when i couldnt see the screen. Not nearly as much popping from the tiny surface iron/minerals.... so the new sands pretty deep over the hard pan.

November 23, 2019 02:30AM
Very nice ring Dew.

My beach sand..... has finally changed/moved 'some'. A off-shore sand bar...… has been (mother-nature) relocated into the splash-deep-trough. And...… some of the lower slope also filled in the sump-trough. The trough is now filled in..... and flush/level. I feel this winter may erode some of the wet slope..... as I have seen this cycle happen before...…. numerous times..... under certain conditions. And...…. the sequence of events.... is correct again...….. finally!
November 26, 2019 08:00PM
Ill likely be busy for the rest of the month ..... so i thought id add one more to show and tell. Size 10 1/2, 7.2 grams 10K with a 1/2 tcw diamonds. This one didnt appear to be real deep.... thou it took a couple of scoops to get it in the scoop. Lot of fluffy sand but this one was right where the hardpan and fluff met. I do have a question. Normally if i get chatter out there i just up the salt balance a digit or two and its gone. But my question is ...... is that the right way to do it? How do i know when to adjust the GB vs the SB? Im using a fixed GB 560ish because it really doesnt GB in my sand. Am i loosing a bit of sensitivity to small gold by adjusting the SB over the GB?

free image hoster
cdv
November 26, 2019 11:50PM
Good question Dew, can't wait to see what Tom says.....
November 26, 2019 11:55PM
Dew...……. funny you bring up this question. A few days ago...… I ran into the same situation. (So I did some testing). It is ALWAYS best to 'try' and adjust Grnd Bal FIRST..... to mitigate (underwater/submerged) chatter. It is the least-effective way to mitigate chatter; yet, produces the least amount of performance loss. IF you do not ascertain the resultant you are looking for...….. THEN try to adjust Salt Balance for less chatter. ------- (((Due to a different set of variables...… it is indeed a bit 'different'..... and a bit more difficult....,,,,, to Ground Balance & Salt Balance whilst underwater))).

CONGRAT'S and that fairly large/heavy ring!
November 27, 2019 02:55AM
I've never been able to ground balance my MDT with any accuracy for the wet sand. The beaches I detect don't have any dry sand to do a proper ground balance procedure. I generally keep it between 550 and 650 and it stays reasonably quiet. SB is always 27.

Our sand is beginning to move on some beaches. Today I got this gigantic silver ring. The guy who lost it must be a giant. A quarter fits inside it with room to spare.

Sense 9, Thresh 0, Disc 0, Freq 12kHz.

[www.nhmetaldetectingforum.com]

[www.nhmetaldetectingforum.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/2019 03:18AM by Badger in NH.
November 27, 2019 09:48AM
Badger. I mentioned this a few years back on here. Your find reminds of a ring from a giant I found a few years back. I got it home and my wife said something to the effect of 'that's not a mans ring silly, that's a cloth napkin ring'....lol, go figure.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/2019 09:49AM by ozzie.
November 27, 2019 01:04PM
Badger. Your post. >>> What stands out the most is = your settings. Full throttle.
Now I understand your recent claim of finding Nickels at 18".
November 27, 2019 01:16PM
In the water i run 9khz...... SB 30, but in the low areas and hard pan it can cause a bit of chatter. You know i mention chatter...... but it would be like WHAT CHATTER on most machines. I bump it up to 31 or 32 and its GONE. Ive tried running 12...... but its not at good in the surf line and sometimes i have to turn down the threshold or sensitivity. In deeper water say waist deep.... that 27 SB can go to 40ish. After a lot of playing around out there i find making the adjustments for 12Khz i was getting just as good of depth in 9khz and better audio. In the sand here i find the machine like Tom said...... may grab a GB number....... walk a few feet and it changes. So what im getting from Toms comments you are much better off adjust the GB than the SB. Ill have to play with that keeping my SB at 30 and see what happens. Is it ok for the GB to go from say 560 up to 660ish.... or at some point move the SB 1 digit? I move it very little normally because normally that chatter lets you know you are just under the GB/SB.... if the chatter doesnt bother me that day ill run with that.

Its amazing some of the ring sizes we find. Ive found a few that size as well..... even those double finger ones that reminds you of brass knuckles. My brother-in-law wears a size 14 wedding band....... ive found him a couple after he lost his.
November 27, 2019 01:17PM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
> Badger. Your post. >>> What stands out the most is
> = your settings. Full throttle.
> Now I understand your recent claim of finding Nick
> els at 18".

No, that wasn't me Tom. I've buried a nickle and detected it at 13 inches, but not 18.

I've always had a habit of running detectors at full throttle and putting up with the noise hoping to get that extra half inch of depth. I was getting a bit of falsing off the sand yesterday but it was easy to distinguish from the real targets. I still need to experiment more to really get it dialed in. Especially with ground balance.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/2019 05:34PM by Badger in NH.
November 27, 2019 01:24PM
ozzie Wrote:
> Badger. I mentioned this a few years back on here.
> Your find reminds of a ring from a giant I found a
> few years back. I got it home and my wife said som
> ething to the effect of 'that's not a mans ring si
> lly, that's a cloth napkin ring'....lol, go figur
> e.

I considered that at first but I'm pretty sure this is too narrow to be a napkin ring.
November 27, 2019 02:01PM
Y'all are killing me. I am kicking myself now for selling the MDT that I had. I was working a crap ton of overtime at work and now that has kinda slowed a little bit. I should have just kept it, as it wasn't eating anything.

I do wonder what is to come next from them. An old post in this thread still has my attention, when NASA Tom said something about possibly cracking the Culpeper red dirt.
November 27, 2019 05:24PM
Few inches can be pretty significant. Good point about hearing targets .... there is a huge difference to me running AM those slight pops you may get running HOT isn’t like most detectors. You go over a target and you know it.... not a lot of whispers just a nice repeated bong.... if the machine can see it.... you hear it very well. Daniel I’ve got mine down to an Xcal, Nox and MDT and rarely use the other two.