Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

ON THE HORIZON = MDT-8000

Posted by NASA-Tom 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
cdv
Re: ON THE HORIZON = MDT-8000
January 09, 2020 10:23PM
Tom, Dimitar.....unless that new developmental coil is like a snow shoe (CTX 17") a center (or closer to center) attachment point would be fine....although I have very few complaints on the original Tarsacci coil.

Dew, that was a fun hunt, only way the day could have been better is with some gold!

That V nickel was my second oldest found in the water. As we said, brass, copper or silver that age won't last that long in the water.....my oldest is a 1853 gold dollar coin in a ring so this V comes in second place for age. Not sure how many more years it could have lasted in the water until it would have been hopeless to see the date.

Cliff

January 09, 2020 11:18PM
Heres my interesting dime. Anyone think sand dont wear out coins take a look. There was no way to miss a recent drop out there Cliff if we walked over it...... nice hard pan. I just dont think we could get out in that trough far enough to get the gold that was being pushed along with all that current. Im amazed you didnt get one ...... ive been your lucky charm lately. At least i get to look at your gold lol.

no mouse click website
January 26, 2020 01:10PM
I received my MDT 8000 a couple of weeks ago and I've been having a great time learning to use it.

But I've been sick most of the last week, so I've had to stay home and learn it instead of going to the beach.

Inspired by TN Sharpshooter and dewcon4414, I've tested a bunch of objects, mostly rings, to learn the TID numbers they would display. The results are instructive. Here's a link to see the PDF file:

[www.gctreasurehunters.com]

I mostly tested gold, platinum, and silver rings, plus one palladium. Since I'm mostly a beach hunter, I also included modern US coins.

A worthwhile fact I learned is that I can get a more consistent TID number when using a fast swing speed than I can with a medium or slow swing.

--TallTom
January 26, 2020 07:47PM
Ive got a few more to show at the end of the month. Last month was surprisingly bad. I thought this month was going to continue. The small ring is stamped 18K.... but i thought maybe it was 10K...... but acid test confirmed 18K.....shes a small one size 2. Found in the oatmeal at the wave line. I do like the way this machine doesnt seem to loose targets even in moving water at the shoreline. The other right was just a nice show ring. I have an Indian one i wear. The guy with me didnt believe me when i said ...... oh ive got one. Its 10K 5.7 grams found out in deeper water.

I went thru your air test list .... pretty accurate. However, I will say trash tends to upscale. The odd ball is a penny .... it can be all over the place9 to 23 in the wild.

picture upload service

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2020 08:21PM by dewcon4414.
January 26, 2020 10:33PM
The zinc penny in my list is a clean, non-corroded one.
I plan to test a few with various levels of corrosion to see the range of TIDs they provide. Yes, so far I've seen quite a range in the wild myself.
January 29, 2020 05:38AM
If any Tarsacci owners are looking to sell I'd be interested, please send me a PM with details. Thanks.
January 30, 2020 11:17AM
At this point Kenny ...... i think your have a better chance at getting one of us to sell you our Nox lol.
January 30, 2020 11:35AM
Yes, there’s only one person on here that’s ever sold one, and he ended up having a bad case of sellers remorse and buying another MDT and lovin it. It’s a GREAT machine, nothing like it!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2020 11:36AM by Aaron.
January 30, 2020 11:55AM
Congratulations on the gold Dew, I just noticed it....
January 30, 2020 12:02PM
Thanks Aaron....... im winding up the month and will post my gold next week. Dec was horrible. It seems we got a bit more sand movement...... this month so i did better. But the targets still arent very plentiful out there. Its still a blind squirrel hunting situation out there with the cool water keeping everyone on the dry sand.
January 30, 2020 12:08PM
Well...a bad day on the beach in the Gulf is a lot better than a winter day up in Michigan my friend! ;-)
January 31, 2020 10:21PM
Final hunt of the month was yesterday. Things seems to be shifting the last few months. over the last several years ...... one of the months oct to dec was really good. This time around Dec was a real bust..... im not sure why. I can only assume sand. We are just now getting those winds that move stuff around. Winter thus far is as expected..... you have to grid and work to find the left overs or concentration of targets. Id say i could have found most of these with the Nox..... except for that 10 gram one and that peace one..... both were really deep. Couple of nice ones thou for my gold chest. Im still running the same...... 0 threshold, 9 sensitivity and AM. One day we had a lot of small iron flakes causing a lot of TID jump...... i adjusted the threshold to -1 and it cleaned up nicely. I found just adjusting my salt balance 1 digit does the same thing. Im not pretty comfortable to adjust the SB on the fly..... i like just a little pop to the minerals so i go up or down. Ive been pretty impressed with these batteries. I rotate them but ive got a LOT of hours on them in the past year and they still charge at 4.1 DCV. I managed some good silver and a few of those plated gold rings that i just hate....... they are really looking good. That piece with the 3 stones ..... checked um and they are real..... i assume a necklace piece. You cant tell it but .... they have good size to them...... and thats why i dig the small gold.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2020 10:24PM by dewcon4414.
January 31, 2020 10:36PM
That's some good looking jewelry Dew!! I love the sight of gold.
January 31, 2020 11:04PM
Thanks.... Now ya see why no one but stupid me is posting finds lol
February 01, 2020 12:37AM
Tough to beat the sight of gold. Good job, Dew. HH jim tn
February 01, 2020 02:15AM
Hey Dew. That’s some nice gold you’ve got there.
February 01, 2020 02:30AM
I just got an MDT-8000 from Dimitar. I live near Richmond VA and was with him when we tested the detector at a friends property in Brandy Station a couple of years ago. I’m in Florida now for a couple weeks and would love to get out with someone that might be able to help me get the detector dialed in. I’m up in Monticello now but will be heading toward Clearwater next week to fish and metal detecting.

Any one using the Sarcacci and willing to meet me at one of beaches next week?

Bob
cdv
February 01, 2020 02:54AM
PM sent Bob

Cliff
February 01, 2020 02:56AM
KENNE-BILL...…… I don't think there are any used Tarsacci's for sale. BUT...…. all is not lost. Dimitar 'might' have a remaining Demo MDT..... that he could sell. If you are interested...…. I'll check with him. I would guess the cost would be several hundred cheaper than a new one. Maybe $1100? Maybe $1200..... depending on 'what' it comes with.

Dew. Your success-rate looks to be MUCH better this month. From an electronic standpoint...…. the broken ring has my pique interest. ((( I always look forward to your monthly finds photo! Most folks...…. regardless of detector type...…. usually don't like to post their finds. )))
Are you starting to really get a gut-feel on how deep the Tarsacci is...…. IN the water? How much depth loss..... by being IN the water???
February 01, 2020 04:07AM
Thanks for the offer Tom but I was able to purchase a Tarsacci from a fellow forum member, my attention now is in rounding up a set of waterproof headphones.
February 01, 2020 04:25AM
Nice going dew and congratulations on great month! There’s some big gold there. Yes, the broken (solder joint?) ring caught my attention too. What did it sound like?
cdv
February 01, 2020 11:31AM
Big month Dew, I'll never catch up to you now unless I come down and break your legs! smiling smiley Congrats buddy, some really nice finds there for January.

Cliff
February 01, 2020 12:00PM
Aaron......because i run in AM signals seem to come in pretty pure. It has pretty good sizing as well so targets that might break up ..... like crosses and that open ring may sound smaller but still bang pretty good. I noticed that on some of the chains and a cross last year. Chains came in weak..... reasonably deep..... and a small sound.... but was still a target. That ring came in very well....... and was reasonably deep..... it did not break up. Also..... that rind was in the pull down loose sand with a constant wave coming in. Something that gives the Nox a bit of trouble. Im liking the fast pops of mineral..... because they are so fast you can tell its NOT a target easily. So its pretty quit until you hit a target. Bob...... Cliffs your guy, he knows the machine well. Ive got to stop hunting with him he dont let me get any gold there now lol. Bob....... contact Tony Eisenhower he can set you up with a very good pair of waterproof phones for this machine. Nothing against the phones that came with this machine...... but you know i dont think ive ever used any phones that came with the machine long. Coils and good headphones can make a real difference.

Tom..... with the modulation and in AMs volume .... i get surprised still a good deal on depth. Tiny things like rivits or really small pieces of copper (high conductors) can sound much larger than they are.... thou i pretty well know them by digit or high ping. That 10 gram ring..... was a surprise ... another one that i had to straddle the hole with.... it was much deeper than my 10 1/2" StarvR scoop....and it stayed in the cent of the hole.... im guessing 14". The tone sounded GREAT..... like it should have been in the first small scoop. Pull tabs tend to upscale in the salt water if they are really deep to a high tone digit like 26.... way above a quarter oddly. Something ive not noticed yet on gold (gold seems to keep that low nickel pong)They can sound real good at nearly a foot. The MDT doesnt give you the feeling of depth loose that you get with other water machine as the sand changes. Seems to do well in the fluff sand ....something ML machines dont seem to like.

Im real interested to see the next generation that you guys come up with. Work on that waterproofing.... and ability to switch easily between AM and disc.
February 01, 2020 01:25PM
Heres a little better picture of those stones on that dangle. These are the kind of targets i believe we miss a good deal that are just out of detector sensitivity range.

steps to becoming a forensic anthropologist
February 01, 2020 06:40PM
KENNE-BILL...… copy! That's great to hear! Start out 'mild'...….. and simply get use to the audio language at first!
February 03, 2020 02:12PM
I love that that Indian Chief warbonnet ring.

HH
Mike
February 03, 2020 07:29PM
Me to Mike..... and it even fits. I have another that i wear kind of like it except it has no stones. THESE are the kind you just love to hear rattling around in the scoop before you take a peak. You really just dont know what might come up in that scoop. Keeps me out there. I had a good month...... but it seemed like i was struggling to find targets. Today was another example....lot of pushed in mushy sand where it had been a hard pan. The winds this time of the year really have an impact on whats being moved. It will cut a trough today..... and by tomorrow its gone.
February 05, 2020 09:18PM
Has anyone found a source for the coil washers? Demitar sent me some that was just a tad thicker.... those babies are the ticket. But I’m at that point I’d like to put new ones on.
February 06, 2020 02:17AM
I’d like to thank Cliff (user CDV) for helping me with settings and many tips for beach hunting with the Tarsacci. We didn’t find any gold or silver, just pocket change, but the knowledge I took away was worth a great deal to me! Thanks Cliff!

Loving the detector and can’t wait to hit some of my colonial sites with it when I return home to Virginia next week.

Bob

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2020 02:18AM by BigYankeeAmes.
February 06, 2020 03:15AM
Bob...…. REALLY glad to hear this! Thanks Cliff! Bob...….. if you are ever on the East Coast of Florida...…. give me a holler...… and maybe we can hook up.
If you are in really bad dirt...…. start slow/mildly with the MDT. Maybe 6Khz, Sens 5, Thresh -2...…… then Grnd Balance the unit. Then...… when you find a few really deep targets...… switch Black Sand "on" and "off"...… and see which setting helps with greater depth and ID. Holler at us ...if you need any help.