Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

ON THE HORIZON = MDT-8000

Posted by NASA-Tom 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
cdv
Re: ON THE HORIZON = MDT-8000
February 06, 2020 11:19AM
Bob, it was a pleasure to go out with you. I didn't do much other than help get your settings tuned in and to maybe help with IDing targets in the sand. Your coil control is perfect and I could tell you are a dirt hunter. Won't be long until you are on the gold up north. Have a safe trip and for sure let us know how you do in your colonial spots.....a couple nice pictures could just tempt me to drive up for a visit....
You had asked for a range gold will come in at, below is a post Dewcon put out earlier with results from his gold horde testing. If the link for the photo doesn't show up, I believe the post is on page 54 of this thread.

Cliff

dewcon4414 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks...... wow that had to be a LOT of cut and p
> aste work. The TIDs were very good to have. Le
> t me say thou.... those numbers are on a solid tar
> get. Ive found the digits on trash seems to UPSC
> ALE..... meaning that pull tab at 6 can come in in
> the low 20s when really deep. Did ya notice wher
> e a lot of the iron targets were going? Thats wh
> y i use a notch of 28. It can affect the respons
> e of targets in the 27 range as well. So when i c
> ant see the screen and am using AM...... when swit
> ched to disc i get a much slower high ping or NO p
> ing at all. Some of that wrap around i believe i
> s reduced by being in the salt water..... so i hav
> e a high confidence level im not missing a lot of
> gold. Ive not really noticed gold upscaling....
> beyond the range im watching..... 1 to 12. That
> just below a penny which for me is 13. But those
> pennies .... wow can be 9 to 18 sometimes. When
> i first started out i ran several pieces of gold o
> ver the coil in 9khz.... this is what i got. All
> various weight and K..... the very low digits (3 a
> nd 1) were of small crosses and chains. Notice i
> should have said how many of those TI and Tung wer
> e in those upper digits..... because i believe the
> re might have been only 1 ring above the digit 10.
>
>
>
February 06, 2020 11:29AM
That’s the one thing about the TARSACCI I’m still haven’t gotten down yet is the TID numbers as they vary on depth. Other than that I love the machine. It’s probably been mentioned but the shallow targets numbers usually always lock on and don’t bounce. The only gold I’ve found w the TARSACCI so far, and I’m using it inland, was a 3 gram 18kt earring. It has only been lost for a few months and in the roots of the turf.
It’s TID was 5.
February 06, 2020 11:35AM

Crude..... but it gives you some idea of what they air test. Some trash up scales based on depth, but gold seems to stay under that penny range even deep. Soooo wheres the gold man? You dont realize just how sanded in we are until you hunt one of the most active beaches in the US....... and find almost nothing.
February 06, 2020 11:43AM
Great data dew. How does the targets relate to the lunar calendar I wonder?
February 06, 2020 12:47PM
Aaron........ for me im looking for gold. Since its not up scaling much if any when im in the water and cant see the screen and switch over to disc....... im ok with walking away from a target with a HIGH PING. Normally a coin and above into the iron wrap around somewhere around 27ish. BUT i wont walk away from any other lower tone. If i can see the screen.... even with it jumping MOST of the time i can determine if its iron. Obviously there are valuable targets.... maybe silver with diamonds..... but sometimes in the trash you just make a decision and leave those to the other guys. Time vs effort vs payoff.
February 06, 2020 02:08PM
Once you get accustomed to the audio of the Tarsacci...especially the mix mode and all metal, it is very hard to bounce back and forth to something else. I gravitate heavily to it, thus making it my primary detector. The last time out with it was one of the back and forth testing sessions between it and the Equinox and if it wasn't for the Equinox's iron handling ability, I would feel very confident in parting with the Nox.
And that is saying a lot.
February 06, 2020 02:21PM
Good to hear those comments..... me and Cliff have rarely grabbed another machine.
cdv
February 06, 2020 02:42PM
One thing I noticed on the MDT yesterday after I planted a 2 gram gold ring at 12-13" deep. (Settings: 9 Sense, 0 Threshold, 12KHz), I could clearly hear the ring in All Metal but the ID numbers bounced around, for the most part all positive, that for me would be a clear indication of a target I would take a scoop off of to investigate further, however, I decided to try Mixed Mode and found that the machine clearly gave a good tone (mid tone) clearly on each swing. That kind of tonal indication would make that deep small ring a target I would surely dig. Wet sand hunting on the iffy targets I almost never switched to Disc or Mixed modes to verify targets, I would depend on the ID numbers. Now, knowing what I saw/heard yesterday will make me switch more often to check targets, something I regularly do in the water but rarely on the wet. Even after a year with this machine, I'm still learning little things......probably wouldn't have found that one out without having Bob there yesterday to show him how deep it will hit a small gold ring.

Cliff
February 06, 2020 06:00PM
2 grams people..... at that depth repeatable. Why isn’t more people using this machine it talking about it? I always say... I’m going to grab the Xcal today or the Nox.... but I rarely do. I’d like to have known if those positive digits were up sizing Cliff on that gold. The machine likes round too. That was wet sand.... pretty significant considering we noticed the Nox lost about 2” IN the water. I look forward to see a lot more of your straight forward information Daniel.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2020 07:50PM by dewcon4414.
cdv
February 06, 2020 07:04PM
Was definitely wet sand Dew, the hole was filling up with water as I was planting the ring in the bottom, that is why I said 12-13" since I was pushing it down as I filled the hole with sand. Numbers shown were bouncy and "were" upscaled from the normal gold range.

Cliff
February 06, 2020 07:19PM
Were you able to measure the depth of the ring after you filled in the hole?

You can't just put a ring in a 13 inch deep hole in the sand and expect it to be 13 inches deep when you cover it up. You need to be able to measure the depth of the ring after the hole is filled in.

I have fabric tape measures attached to various gold rings and silver coins that I use for depth testing. After burying the target in the wet sand, I pull it up to a certain measured depth. That way I know for a fact precisely how deep it is.

Many times I have buried a ring or coin, pushing it down deep with my hand thinking it was plenty deep enough only to discover, after filling in the hole and pulling on the tape, that it was nowhere near the depth that I thought it was.

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2020 07:33PM by Badger in NH.
cdv
February 06, 2020 07:33PM
Yup Badger, done it many times with the same ring(s) and a fine nylon cord with marked measurements on it. Always make every attempt to ensure the ring is laying flat too since pulling up on the string after it is buried (in my case) would have the ring on edge. I can understand the scrutiny but I've done this many times before.

Cliff
February 06, 2020 07:41PM
I was lucky to find a plastic knob that perfectly fits the ring. I drilled a hole through the center and ran a string through it, then attached the measuring tape to the string. This allows the ring to remain flat while I pull it up.

To keep the coins flat, I drilled a small hole in the center of the coin.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2020 10:48PM by Badger in NH.
February 06, 2020 07:54PM
Badger...... what i found attaching it then pulling it up... the ring turns on its side. You really have a lot less surface at that point on edge. I normally dig the hole, measure it and push the ring in the SIDE of the hole then fill it. It doesnt move.
February 07, 2020 02:16AM
dewcon4414 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 2 grams people..... at that depth repeatable. Wh
> y isn’t more people using this machine it talking
> about it? I always say... I’m going to grab the
> Xcal today or the Nox.... but I rarely do. I’d l
> ike to have known if those positive digits were up
> sizing Cliff on that gold. The machine likes roun
> d too. That was wet sand.... pretty significant
> considering we noticed the Nox lost about 2” IN th
> e water. I look forward to see a lot more of you
> r straight forward information Daniel.

Dew... I think more people aren't using this machine because it just isn't available at the metal detecting shops where those interested can touch, have a demonstration and hear it in action. Sure there are a lot of forum members who read posts about it, but a lot want to see and feel it first hand. If it were more readily available that way I think more would buy.
Also a lot of folks bought into the "new" Nox. For a lot of them, shelling out another big chunk of change is difficult.
February 07, 2020 02:43AM
“Metal detecting shops”....What’s that? Not around here, never had one.

Because the TARSACCI isn’t marketed and advertised, it’s not widely known. It also doesn’t come in a flashy 4-color box either. If it did, it would be A LOT more expensive.
February 07, 2020 11:48AM
I attempted to contact a Tampa dealer. I offered to drive two hours to him if hed like to see the machine. He blew me off saying hed call me or get back with me....... he never did. I feel pretty strongly this machine has a place here in Fl..... it just really works. The only thing that makes this machine pricy as some say is ..... because the Nox came out. We had no problem paying $1400+ for and Xcal and doing another $400+ job to mod them and it only had a year warranty. We bought the CTX as well.... even the AquaSound which sold at nearly $3300 which cost $400 for a battery change and $500 for a HEAVY coil was selling. All these machines paid for themselves ..... yet this machine gets a couple of inches over them in and out of the water..... baffling. I really dont mind being the ONLY guy on the beach with this machine and im certain ive gotten some deeper gold missed. I DONT like posting finds, but have on most of the large forums just to let people know this machine is out there. Im no JAG or Ole beach nut.... but ive seen a pretty good increase in my totals for the year. Sponsoring other forums makes no sense since they are only selling this machine and not a lot of accessories needed. There are a LOT of water hunters here in Fl and a lot more visit.

I was reading a thread from the guy in NZ over on Steve Hs forum who was clearing up some rumors. He said this: " hence the later development and arrival of the NZ specific Coil designed for our black sand conditions" Im curious Tom ...... have you tried this coil HERE or in Calf?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2020 01:21PM by dewcon4414.
February 11, 2020 02:43AM
One of the neat things about the MDT is...…… it is a fairly easy unit to learn/use. MUCH simpler than units that have pages of menu's..... and pages-and-pages of sub-menu's. The only thing that may (falsely) appear to be "difficult to learn" about the MDT is: "Black Sand" and "Salt Balance". The bottom line is.... Black Sand is either "on" or "off". It's that simple. You can find a deep target...… and see if Black Sand "on" or "off" helps performance. Then there's Salt Balance. For inland dirt hunters...…. you have the option to invoke Salt Balance...… then perform a very standard balance procedure..... that is identical to exactly how you would Ground Balance many different flavors of detectors. Then test it over a deep target...….. to see if it helps performance even further.
Remember: Salt Balance, Black Sand and Ground Balance are separated out into individual functions...….. so you have full control...…. and can gain even further performance...... above what a detector would do ….if they were all consolidated/clumped together.
February 11, 2020 03:29AM
Agreed on that. The TARSACCI is a pretty straightforward, easy to use machine, there is a learning curve regarding its language. One of the other things that is not talked too about is the Salinity Balance and how to make the best use of it. I plan on posting a demo video soon, got a GoPro 8 on the way....
February 11, 2020 07:14AM
Hello from France

I'am agree, it's not easy to make salt balance. So now i choose setting and i do nothing. GB is 604, salt : 26 Drequency 18 Khz, sensi : 9, treshold : 0 black sand off, track off. I always use the tarsacci like this, and it work well. Tomorow i will post a new video where i use the Tarsacci in all metal. I speak french but i add english subbtitles.

Magus.

Finds with the tarsacci : click on the picture :

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2020 07:17AM by Magus Detection.
February 11, 2020 08:05AM
Magus...…. Looks like you have come a LONG way...… in a short period of time!!!
Your performance AND experience(s) will continue to increase.
February 12, 2020 05:05PM
Hello

My last video for the Tarsacci :

[www.youtube.com]

Magus.
February 12, 2020 08:37PM
Well done Sir only 2 MDT in France I believe...................how many in the UK??????????How many units have been sold??????I am wondering seems like a serious tool

RR
February 12, 2020 09:44PM
That one steel with the hard plastic ... I’ve yet to see one like that..... nice high K looking gold. I like your digging tool and the location would make for some real fun. You can’t beat this machines volume on targets in AM. I need a GoPro lol.
February 12, 2020 10:21PM
Very nice video, beautiful wedding band. Looks like it was inscribed too. Yes the TARSACCI is a very serious machine.
Just got a GoPro dew, just gotta figure out how to use it...LOL

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2020 10:48PM by Aaron.
February 12, 2020 10:56PM
Aaron I want one ....I’m a little concerned about the additional time it might take editing and such.
February 12, 2020 11:04PM
Yeah, same here. It’s hard enough finding time to hunt. Cool thing is it links right to the iPhone and you edit it through that. I got the waterproof Hero 8. I’m gonna be posting some TARSACCI videos hopefully soon!
February 12, 2020 11:58PM
Great can’t wait to see some of them. I’ll have to do some research since my iPhone can be used for an edit. Is it an app?
February 13, 2020 12:17AM
Yes sir, and free
February 13, 2020 02:44AM
Magus...….. you have become very skilled with the MDT...… if you are able to run Sens on '9' and Thresh on '0' (in All-Metal)...….. whilst in 18Khz...…. on a wet-salt beach! Especially when you are ascertaining quiet/ stable performance with these settings. Well done!!!

Congratulations on the gold!

(( Good video capture. ))