Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

ON THE HORIZON = MDT-8000

Posted by NASA-Tom 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: ON THE HORIZON = MDT-8000
April 19, 2020 07:29PM
How much depth does the Tarsacci lose to the Nox on a Nickel in your soil Tom ? (Nox 15 inches Tarsacci ?) and do you think the upcoming larger coil would bring the neutral soil performance of the Tarsacci closer to the Nox ?
April 19, 2020 07:31PM
Badger...… If you are selling your unit...… any chance you could give Carter your detector.... for a period of time? To shoot videos? (He may end up wanting to buy it).

Dave...…. do you (by chance) live in Florida? I could very easily demonstrate any ring(s) of your choice (mine or yours)..... to see which detectors perform best...… head-to-head. This is never a problem.
April 19, 2020 07:45PM
sanjuro…….. In my mineral-free dirt.... nearly an air-test!...….. The Tarsacci will acquire a 12" Nickel. . . . just barely. You can tell it's non-ferrous..... and a mid/low conductor. The EQX in my test-garden...… will detect a 15" Nickel. . . . . . just barely. You can tell it's non-ferrous ….. and a mid/low conductor. My test-garden is substantially less-than 1-bar dirt.

On the beach...…. the EQX genuinely (barely) detects a 12" Nickel on the wet-salt slope. The Tarsacci genuinely detects a 14" Nickel..... and with some authority. This is a Salt environment. The Tarsacci genuinely works better in wet-salt.

If I depart my test-garden….and I go inland hunting...… in 1-bar dirt: The EQX will acquire a 13" Nickel...…. just barely. The Tarsacci will genuinely detect a 13" Nickel..... just barely. The playing field is identical/level.

If I get into 2-bar dirt...… the Tarsacci is a clear winner...… with all..... span/range of conductor(s).

If you have extremely low minerals..... do NOT buy a Tarsacci!
April 19, 2020 09:07PM
Let me make clear that I am just a regular user that bought a machine. I'm not getting anything out of what I say, nor have I ever gotten anything for what I have posted or said, and nor am I looking to get anything. I also don't have any inside help on learning the machine. What I've learned has been in the field and coming back to this thread with questions and or posting experiences/reading comments.

With that said, here are 3 finds from my yard yesterday. Two Civil War era Spencer casings are the goodies. But the most significant is the thing next to them. Here is why:

I am still very much in the learning phases with the MDT so I am doing a lot of signal comparisons to the Equinox. Let me say that my yard is choked full of low to mid conductor signals. I mean it would take a year of digging to maybe knock a dent in them. Ironically...this is after all the years spent with non ID, beep and dig machines in which I would set at small iron reject and DIG EVERYTHING, starting with the Fisher 1265 and then going into the Tesoro machines. When I got into ID machines, I began just cherry picking likely coin signals that were left. Now all that is left are low to mid conductors; and in a site where an 1850s house was lived in until the late 1970s and then burned and bulldozed down...there is a TON of junk in that low to mid conductor range. SOMETIMES I will get the notion to go dig some of them. 9 out of 10 times they are junk but occasionally, like yesterday, there are some goodies that pop up intermingled with the junk.

With that said...both Equinox and Tarsacci detected the signals that turned out to be the Spencers. They were 06 signals on the Tarsacci and 14/15 signals on the Equinox.

The reason the other find is so significant is in how I have been testing. I took this section of yard, and hunted it with the Tarsacci and marked all the non ferrous signals I could locate. Then I checked them with the Equinox to see what it said they were...then dug em. Then I lay the Tarsacci down, and proceeded to rehunt the same section with the Nox with the settings I would normally use to hunt with. The purpose was to see if there were any signals I had missed with the Tarsacci, that the Nox found. There were. This initially disappointed me because there were several signals that actually were repeatable on the Nox, that gave IDs in the 20-22 range and that sounded like crap or wouldn't be a signal there with the Tarsacci...I could get an iron signal off to the side *about a half coils width* from where it had pinpointed with the Nox.

EVERY time, these were targets like the one beside the Spencer casings. What would happen would be that I would dig the signal where the Nox pinpointed it...and then the signal would disappear. Gone. Stick the probe in the ground...nothing. The only way I could ever find the signal was to largely widen the hole *about a coil's width away* and THEN I would find it. It was ALWAYS iron of some sort, whether it be a piece like in the picture or a square nail with a rusty blob on it. The Tarsacci would pinpoint them closer to where they actually are in the ground AND ID them as iron. The Nox would give those sweet signals from about 2 angles if you were circling the target in 90 degree increments. They would repeat every time from certain angles, which would lead the user (well maybe just me) to believe they had located a sweet signal next to iron. That is pretty significant to me. It may not be to you. I look at it as it being several less targets that I waste time digging that turn out to be iron.

20200419_162948 by Daniel Teague, on Flickr
April 19, 2020 09:08PM
For those who havent seen it, there is a YOUTUBE video of a guy called Relic and Rings of the MDT vs GPX, Equinox and XP Deus. On the MDT he could have utilised more settings to get better performance....but he does well anyway. I dont know who he is but looks to be taken in USA.
April 19, 2020 10:18PM
Coilpower Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> For those who havent seen it, there is a YOUTUBE v
> ideo of a guy called Relic and Rings of the MDT vs
> GPX, Equinox and XP Deus. On the MDT he could have
> utilised more settings to get better performance..
> ..but he does well anyway. I dont know who he is b
> ut looks to be taken in USA.

Yep, the gent who goes by Relics and Rings on YouTube is member here. He has posted here about MDT unit too.

Here is his profile.
[www.dankowskidetectors.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2020 10:19PM by tnsharpshooter.
April 19, 2020 10:28PM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
> Badger...… If you are selling your unit...… any ch
> ance you could give Carter your detector.... for a
> period of time? To shoot videos? (He may end up wa
> nting to buy it).

I would think between you, Aaron and Dimitar, one of you would have a detector that Carter could borrow for a week or two.

I'd rather not miss an opportunity to sell it if someone should want it during that time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2020 10:34PM by Badger in NH.
April 20, 2020 02:16AM
Badger...… we are VERY satisfied with the: type, amount and quality of the videos that are really starting to roll in here. But...…. good thought though.

Daniel: Can you change the Ground Balance settings of the EQX...…(I'm thinking: more positive)...… to possibly mitigate some of the iron falsing ….. in your specific dirt...… with EQX platform?
April 20, 2020 02:22AM
Teresa...….. ok...…. understand. Interesting Ground Balance 'range'.
Bottom line still remains: It's working for you in NZ dirt!
April 20, 2020 02:42AM
ehhhh,,,,I don’t know Badger, I don’t have any “loaner” units to spare.

Hey Keith, how bout you? Y’all wanna loan Carter Pennington your TARSACCI for awhile?

TARSACCI - “Digging deeper, BEHIND the competition!”
[forums.tarsaccisales.com]
April 20, 2020 03:03AM
Looks like my Tarsacci will soon have a new owner. Sale pending. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2020 10:45AM by Badger in NH.
April 20, 2020 12:43PM
Isn't Carter friends with BARRY?

Daniel...….. I've been meaning to 'further' comment on your latest post (experiences). Sounds like you REALLY came up-to-speed on the Tarsacci. You are starting to see some of its major attributes. I am NOT stunned that you are able to figure out the Tarsacci. What I AM stunned with.....is.....you are able to figure out the Tarsacci in BAD dirt. I am starting to formulate a conclusion. Figuring out any type/brand of detector....may be fairly easy. BUT:
For those folks that passionately spend a ton of blood-time figuring out how to unlock BAD dirt...…..(and it may take years....or even Decades)...…… requires nearly a PhD skillset level. Bad dirt is violently inhibiting......poses unsuspecting blindness (where everything ID's as 'iron'...… IF even detectable)...….and is nearly impossible to ascertain success. There's a LOT of people that "try" (knowingly or unknowingly...…….the hidden unsuspecting inhibitors)…… yet, truthfully; there's very few folks that genuinely present measurable/formidable 'success' in such scenario.

Teresa...…. IF you have the time...….. I am also curious..... if you are ever able to run your Sens at …..say...… '5' (or above). . . . . . in any of the dirt that NZ throws at you.
April 20, 2020 01:50PM
I'm not sure but I think Carter and Barry parted ways a long time ago. Not surprising since Barry was a real jerk.
April 20, 2020 02:00PM
Um.....yeah.
I could of think of a lot more “descriptive” adjectives to describe “Deeptech-Barry” who caused so much trouble here and eventually got kicked off.

April 20, 2020 02:57PM
NASA-Tom Wrote:

>
> Dave...…. do you (by chance) live in Florida? I co
> uld very easily demonstrate any ring(s) of your ch
> oice (mine or yours)..... to see which detectors p
> erform best...… head-to-head. This is never a prob
> lem.

No, not close to Florida. HOWEVER, feel free to do a video and show the detector settings. I am old enough to do my own analysis once I see the Vid. winking smiley

Thanks Dave

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2020 02:59PM by midalake.
April 20, 2020 03:40PM
Dave,

There’s already is a lot of other good videos that demonstrate the settings of the MDT 8000.
Keith and I are focused more on “specialty” or “little know” things that demonstrate the unique attributes of the unit.

April 20, 2020 05:22PM
I dont believe you can make a judgement of the machines ability simply by looking at Video personally. There really is a lot to this machine that requires hands on. Initially They were even picky as to who got them. Barry... is he and Berry NY the same guy? I asked that because Berry NY did the first batch of GGA thru Gary Storm. Didn’t Ron and Carter buy out Gary... detector Pro?
April 20, 2020 05:34PM
Need to see more posts and videos of users finds.
April 20, 2020 06:18PM
Is there any elevated iron vids, nails a couple of inches above coin?
I can only find TNSS vids of nail/coin, and Keith's where there on the same plane, but i rarely come across that scenario.
Cheers.
April 20, 2020 06:45PM
I agree with the camera filming the detector when Items are found.
I hate when they show the target after they already dug it up off camera.
Wouldn't mind seeing what the numbers read on camera too while target is in and out of ground.

Denny Wrote:
> Need to see more posts and videos of users finds.
April 20, 2020 07:02PM
ghound Wrote:
> Is there any elevated iron vids, nails a couple of
> inches above coin?

I have always said that the proper way to do an iron test is with the nails higher than the coin. It means nothing when the nails are level with the coin or laying right on top of it.
April 20, 2020 07:28PM
I appreciate folks doing vids and i realise that it's only a demo. Showing surface tests in iron with the coil an inch above a target probably mimics detecting a windswept ghost town or ploughed field, but if the detector was originally made for relic hunting and finding typical European medieval coinage and the likes, then some elevated iron tests with small targets would probably be more representative of it's abilities.
A 1000yr old site will probably have had the top 10/12 inches of soil churned up, so iron will also be above, below, beside good targets.
As with others, i've owned detectors that were superb on surface tests/nailboard tests etc, but couldn't hit a coin an inch or 2 below an offset nail.
Cheers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2020 07:31PM by ghound.
April 20, 2020 07:41PM
Badger in NH Wrote:
> ghound Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Is there any elevated iron vids, nails a couple
> of
> > inches above coin?
>
>
> I have always said that the proper way to do an ir
> on test is with the nails higher than the coin. I
> t means nothing when the nails are level with the
> coin or laying right on top of it.

Not the MDT8000 but is this what you mean?[www.youtube.com]
April 20, 2020 07:55PM
Yes, or preferably in ground with the nails the long/hard way round like this.

[youtu.be]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2020 08:04PM by ghound.
April 20, 2020 07:58PM
Here is another. [www.youtube.com]
April 20, 2020 09:55PM
On the Tarsacci it does not do well in airtesting nails and non ferrous together.

Its not bad at it but its not outstanding either.

It needs a dirt matrix and nail and non ferrous to see best result's.The soil becomes a binding agent.A conduit.

The Tarsacci is analyzing things in a non VLF format.It relies on iron saturation's to complete its task.

This one reason on airtest it can see around big iron and see a non ferrous target it sort of mimics saturation.

The Tarsacci it seems views iron as a very definite target.And very definite it knows that is iron.Almost like a magnetometer.

The precision in which it can tell iron from non ferrous is precise.And just by introducing a non ferrous target in the mix of iron it senses this.It working on the new conductance introduced by non ferrous in a way a adjustable tone break unit cant dissect.

It's doing all this for you with just a factory preset tone break.

I have some videos I havent uploaded that shows things that dont seem possible..yet I'm hesitant to show them.as there meant to show the ability to see the introduction of non ferrous under a larger iron piece and it can tell its there.It can tell somethings introduced under the iron with precision tone signaling. albeit not something yuu would dig type tone.But its still razors edge ferrous Vs non ferrous break point.thats a huge feat.

This is what has me studying the tarsacci very closely and showing things on videos.Its different in whats it can achieve.ITS NOT NORMAL.

I'm learning as I go with it and no ones showed me any tricks or guidance to see things so what I see is what I see.BUT I know enough to see that what it does isn't exactly normal.For first couple of weeks I was a drift in a see of confusion.BUT you could tell it was punching the dirt then The salinity balance started to make sense.The physics behind the Salinity balance.

There's no real info to gleam from.tweaking and testing in field as I hunt and doing alot of late night studying in my head. And trying to show things that I hope can trigger a persons mind.

I'm trying to show things that I see in a away I think will make sense to future users.I dont want to step on long time users toes or the likes.Or come across as I have the answers to the unit.I want to only let people know some things I see and some things I reserve till I have further solid info.

YET the Tarsacci is able to do things that VLFs cant quite do yet as it should it's not a VLF it does different things its looking at targets different..One huge thing is exacting ability to read composition of interlaced targets .The Tarsacci does not overload on iron and shut down its transmission field.Think on that and see what comes to mind in real world scenarios.

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
April 20, 2020 10:43PM
Tom.....I have run SENS to 9 both beach and relic...not all the time though.

Keith...Bang on. Air tests mean zilch and are not even a REMOTE indication of the depth it is capable of. The seperation of ferrous vs non ferrous via audio is one of the reasons I love it. Im out there hunting...not looking at screens. A year on and and Im STILL discovering! It is definately a "hands on" machine. You have explained eloquently in "detectorist language" what I meant by it not being a unit you pick up and follow a,b,c. More a "cause and effect" between media and settings refined through time spent on the Tarsacci.
No, its not a normal detector.....then again Im not a normal person!!! Lol!

BTW the Tarsacci will SALT balance out seaweed and small mussell beds (useful for rock hunting).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2020 10:48PM by Coilpower.
April 21, 2020 01:50AM
Just checked this afternoon. On 12khz my Tarsacci balances 964 to 980 in my yard.

I'm not smart and don't try to be. I just get out in the field and dig a lot of holes. I have to be in the particular mood for it, but sometimes I will just go out to a known trashy site and dig everything above iron reject. Even if ID numbers scream that it's probably foil or aluminum trash. Most of the time it is, but on occasion you get rewarded. It's usually just a lot of junk. Sometimes I will get the notion to also dig larger all iron signals just to see what they are while I'm at it. My yard is where I do this most of the time. When they burned and dozed the old house that was here, it scattered stuff for a hundred or more yards distance.
April 21, 2020 01:54AM
I wish I had a YARD like that to search, especially w the possibility of Civil War relics.
Sounds like the TARSACCI is right at home in that high min soil!

April 21, 2020 02:31AM
Daniel...… with those Grnd Bal numbers...… sounds like you have the potential of your dirt being REALLY thick/bad/mineralized. You claim to NOT be smart; yet, …… you have figured out how to 'work' your bad dirt. Don't take that lightly.

Teresa...….. Wow! I had no idea that some sections of NZ dirt (and/or beach) would even allow you to run Sens on '9' (max)….. with any form of stability. Your dirt has got to be the 'badest' dirt on the planet! You have probably seen/witnessed/experienced...…. when mineralization is severe...… and you can only get away with......say......a Sens setting of '3'...….the Tarsacci will punch to the same deep depths as...…… say...…….less mineralized dirt that allows a Sens setting of (say) '7'. In concerted fashion; the Tarsacci employs the conductive properties of the mineralization (to help EM conduction)..... to ascertain depths that would normally (otherwise) be lost with a standard VLF detector (single-freq, SMF.....or otherwise). It is a very unique platform..... that 'needs' the conductive properties of conductive-mineralized-dirt...… in order for it to shine. Some of Keith's videos exemplify exactly this; yet, if you are unaware of this physics foray...… then the videos may appear to be 'magic'..... or even trickery. Using the conductive properties of the mineralization to a metal detectors advantage..... is nothing new; yet, most CDE's/Mfr's choose not to utilize this methodology. (((There's still a little more 'behind-the-scenes'; yet, proprietary ….. as to be expected))).

Dave...…. If you knew my schedule; you would understand exactly 'why' it preempts me from doing videos. ((I have not shot a video in over a Decade)). Yet, in time...… I'm certain that more videos will emerge...…… to include ones to your exact target/likings.