Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

ON THE HORIZON = MDT-8000

Posted by NASA-Tom 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: ON THE HORIZON = MDT-8000
July 09, 2020 09:55AM
Thanks a million Tall Tom. I will look for Part 1 and print both to put with the MDT's user manual.
July 09, 2020 11:31AM
Steve, that’s gonna be a A LOT of paper & ink. Maybe TallTom can send you a PDF....(thanks TallTom, we appreciate it!)
If you have a smartphone, ipad or computer you can store it in there.
Also, not sure if you know, regarding the Tarsacci online manual. All the info in the index is instantly accessible just by clicking on it, just like the Equinox manual.
I keep the Tarsacci manual in my iPhone, it’s pretty handy!

Aaron

TARSACCI - “Digging deeper, BEHIND the competition!”
[forums.tarsaccisales.com]
July 09, 2020 01:03PM
Ozzie doesnt use phones...i send him messages via carrier pigeon. better to get him a book binder with a shoulder harness so he can carry it with him.
July 09, 2020 01:28PM
Rod-PA Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ozzie doesnt use phones...i send him messages via
> carrier pigeon. better to get him a book binder w
> ith a shoulder harness so he can carry it with him
> .
Oh, by the way Rodman, please don't feed the pigeons BEFORE their flight....my truck is a birdpoop mess, thanks.

PS :-). ... I'll give them a little something to hold them over for the flight back.
July 09, 2020 01:31PM
Aaron Wrote:
> Steve, that’s gonna be a A LOT of paper & ink. May
> be TallTom can send you a PDF....(thanks TallTom,
> we appreciate it!)
> If you have a smartphone, ipad or computer you can
> store it in there.
> Also, not sure if you know, regarding the Tarsacci
> online manual. All the info in the index is instan
> tly accessible just by clicking on it, just like t
> he Equinox manual.
> I keep the Tarsacci manual in my iPhone, it’s pret
> ty handy!
>
> Aaron

Aaron, there is some truth to Rod's humor as I do prefer pen and paper to read from and take notes. Great idea though!
July 09, 2020 04:47PM
Thanks to TallTom(part 1 on pg 54) and everyone else contributing to this thread....very interesting/informative. I'm interested.....still not sure about water integrity...waterproof headphones,connectors,etc... Would be nice to buy one already setup for water hunting...hint...hint!!!
July 09, 2020 10:15PM
Not sure if you’ve noticed, nobody’s really complaining about any of their Tarsacci ‘s leaking. The only reports we’ve every received is water getting into the battery compartment, due to either not having the cap tight enough or a missing o-ring. And if water does get into the battery compartment, (even salt water) rinse it out w distilled water and thoroughly dry it out and your good! There’s no need to pack it up and send it back. I do not know of any reports regarding water leaking into the control pod.

I’ve been detecting since 86’ and this is by far the best machine I’ve ever used on land and water. It’s not perfect, buts it’s pretty close!

Aaron

July 11, 2020 11:06AM
Send me a loaner and I will run it through the test garden and put it up against the Equinox and Deus on some test.
I hear all this talk about it being a good relic machine in iron....

I also will carry it to my 1817 HAMMERED permission here in town which is loaded with iron and modern trash.It will not take long to figure out good it is on that site.
July 11, 2020 03:07PM
CD I used mine on a 20's house at the back Horseshoe Ln. and it has the separation. But the noisy was insane from all the nails and trash. Pulled a Merc and that was about it. They have said I can do a couple 10x10 clean out this fall so I will pick the best spot and dig everything to see what's below the trash.
July 11, 2020 03:11PM
What are your settings?

July 13, 2020 03:33PM
Ocean City NJ beach.

I got in about 3 hrs in the wet salt slope where the water comes up and wets your feet. I adjusted the Tarsacci. Salt balance = 27, GB was in the 800's, thres=0, Black sand = on, 18kh, sens 5, disc = -30, ALL metal then switch to disc to hear and for getting familiar..

The beach is pretty clean. Few and far between iron grunts. I was digging can tabs that were 6"+- deep. Coach sunglasses at 12" deep. Decided to go lower on the slope and started to find sinkers.

Got a nice whoop in all metal then switched to disc....nice high tone.. . . easily 8" deep caving sand, out comes a 925 silver ring with connecting daisy's. I can't believe it. Not but a once a year beach hunter and cant ever remember finding jewelry and in a short hunt I get a silver ring. Yes, today it was an eye opener at the beach with this MDT. My grand son as I type is wanting my attention, funny kid.
July 13, 2020 04:42PM
Hi.
What is the length of the shaft from the grip to the coil (at the shaft connection) when fully extended?
I'm 6' tall and like a long arc when I swing - I have no problems with the Nox...

Any 6' tall users have any length problems?
July 13, 2020 04:49PM
From the coil bolt to the handgrip it’s 39”

Aaron

July 13, 2020 05:55PM
At Doctor last time I was coming in at 6'1.5".And I cant extend the Tarsacci all the way out I'm back two notches on holes.I would think a 6'4" or more can use it comfortably.

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
July 13, 2020 06:42PM
I have an off-topic question, does a higher salinity balance reduce the machine sensitivity to small gold?
July 13, 2020 06:47PM
Dan, look at my 3 Gold day video, those 2 earrings were found w salinity on 43......
That white gold one only weighs 0.02 and it sounded great!

cdv
July 13, 2020 08:55PM
Ok, this may be (or sound) stupid but I don't want to force anything and break my machine..... I need to adjust the upper shaft clamp (needs tightened just a tiny bit)....it appears to be adjustable but is there a trick to it or is mine just froze up from using it in the saltwater to much. I just don't want to grab the plastic covered nut with pliers and break it.....

Cliff
July 13, 2020 10:26PM
Cliff,
Just spin the locking lever to adjust the lock.
The nuts are captive.

Aaron

cdv
July 13, 2020 10:44PM
Thanks Aaron
July 13, 2020 10:54PM
Keith Southern Wrote:
> At Doctor last time I was coming in at 6'1.5".And
> I cant extend the Tarsacci all the way out I'm bac
> k two notches on holes.I would think a 6'4" or mor
> e can use it comfortably.
>
> Keith

I'm 6'6" and Dimitar sent me a long rod with my MDT 8000. I think he said it was 4" longer.
It's plenty long for me. I could extend it at least three more inches if I wanted to.
July 13, 2020 11:23PM
Cliff you may need to push in on it to free up the nut. The bottom will touch when there is no more adjustment.
July 15, 2020 01:10PM
Keith Southern Wrote:
> At Doctor last time I was coming in at 6'1.5".And
> I cant extend the Tarsacci all the way out I'm bac
> k two notches on holes.I would think a 6'4" or mor
> e can use it comfortably.
>
> Keith

Perfect - THANKS Keith!
July 17, 2020 03:30AM
I have a question for those that have a Tarsacci. How much deeper is the Tarsacci on a dime than the best VLF unit that you have used? Apply as apple's to apple's a signal that you would dig. (1) What VLF detector are you comparing with? (2) What level mineralization Low, Medium or High? (3) How the Tarsacci compares to your VLF, either - or + inches. I'm an inland coin and relic hunter that has mineralization somewhere between Keith Southern and Culpepper, Va. Keith in his video's has hit his 10 inch dime with several units that I either have or had at the time. I'm usually about 3 inches less that Keith in my dirt. I'm asking to see if the Tarsacci is a unit that could help me. I may want to buy to see if it can break thru this bad red stuff. Thanks, Bama Joe
July 17, 2020 11:11AM
BamaJoe Wrote:
> I have a question for those that have a Tarsacci.
> How much deeper is the Tarsacci on a dime than the
> best VLF unit that you have used? Apply as apple's
> to apple's a signal that you would dig. (1) What V
> LF detector are you comparing with? (2) What level
> mineralization Low, Medium or High? (3) How the Ta
> rsacci compares to your VLF, either - or + inches.
> I'm an inland coin and relic hunter that has miner
> alization somewhere between Keith Southern and Cul
> pepper, Va. Keith in his video's has hit his 10 in
> ch dime with several units that I either have or h
> ad at the time. I'm usually about 3 inches less th
> at Keith in my dirt. I'm asking to see if the Tars
> acci is a unit that could help me. I may want to b
> uy to see if it can break thru this bad red stuff.
> Thanks, Bama Joe

In low mineralization, the Equinox is slightly deeper.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/2020 11:15AM by Badger in NH.
July 17, 2020 12:40PM
Very true...…. in nearly zero mineralization (Florida silica/sand...…. almost no dirt!)……. the EQX is slightly deeper.
In an air-test...…. the EQX is definitely deeper.

TOTALLY different ballgame...… if mineralization is 2-bar or higher.
July 17, 2020 01:25PM
Lets be honest here We can't even get a straight answer how long it can go under the water I never seen a straight answer on it yet.
And if it can only be submerged for 30 minutes then don't bother.

Aaron Wrote:
> Not sure if you’ve noticed, nobody’s really compla
> ining about any of their Tarsacci ‘s leaking. The
> only reports we’ve every received is water getting
> into the battery compartment, due to either not ha
> ving the cap tight enough or a missing o-ring. And
> if water does get into the battery compartment, (e
> ven salt water) rinse it out w distilled water and
> thoroughly dry it out and your good! There’s no ne
> ed to pack it up and send it back. I do not know o
> f any reports regarding water leaking into the con
> trol pod.
>
> I’ve been detecting since 86’ and this is by far t
> he best machine I’ve ever used on land and water.
> It’s not perfect, buts it’s pretty close!
>
> Aaron
July 17, 2020 01:29PM
As per the online manual: [tarsacci.com]

Yes. The MDT 8000 is IP68 rated. This means you can submerge the detector in the water up to 1.5m for up to 30 minutes.

July 17, 2020 02:39PM
TOM say's "TOTALLY different ballgame...… if mineralization is 2-bar or higher". The question is " HOW MUCH DIFFERENCE IN BAD DIRT"?
July 17, 2020 03:37PM
I've got 4-5 bar dirt so not as bad as Culpeper. But, my soil is also very alkaline, so I have two issues. The Tarsacci ground balances between 680 and 807 depending on where I'm hunting and salt balances at 44. 2-3 points points off 44 and I'm out of balance. Until I got the Equinox there wasn't a machine I owned that could accurately ID a dime more than 6" deep. An 8" dime on the Equinox is all over the place anywhere from negative numbers up to high 30's. But I relic hunt so I dig those signals anyway. So in terms of diggable signals I feel the Tarsacci is a good 1-2" deeper than the Equinox on both low conductors and high conductors but I can't expect an accurate ID. So to put this in perspective, when the Equinox starts iron IDing a deep target the Tarscacci is still giving a good positive ping a good 1-2 inches deeper.
July 17, 2020 04:04PM
Abenson....are those your setting for ALL freqs or do they very?