Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

ON THE HORIZON = MDT-8000

Posted by NASA-Tom 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: ON THE HORIZON = MDT-8000
January 31, 2021 09:08PM
Why doesn't the Tarsacci work good in mild ground. I know it's designed for mineral ground and salt beaches. I thought about getting one until I saw Tom's post about the Tarsacci in mild ground not working as well as the Equinox.

With the Gold Kruzer ground mineral is 1 bar sometimes 2.

I have theses detectors:
Equinox 800
Xp Orx
Gold Kruzer
Deeptech Vista Smart Plus

I lake hunt most of time.
February 01, 2021 10:13PM
The Tarsacci works great in mild soil just as deep as any of the top detectors out there for most targets
February 01, 2021 10:43PM
I'd say the Tarsacci gets adequate depth in mild soil, but it can't compete with the Equinox.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2021 02:15AM by Badger in NH.
February 02, 2021 01:37AM
In my extremely low mineralization soil (here in Florida)..... the Tarsacci is VERY deep; yet, not quite as deep as the EQX. If the MDT coil were the same size as the EQX coil...... things would be different.
Also....... when mineralization starts kicking in...... the Tarsacci will hardly be affected; whereas...... other VLF units will rapidly ramp-down in performance.
February 07, 2021 08:13PM
Looking for updates on the MDT prototype
Coil Thanks
February 08, 2021 12:28AM
Only update:

It is departing the frozen tundra.
cdv
February 09, 2021 11:56PM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Only update:
>
> It is departing the frozen tundra.

Heading to Georgia or Florida?

Cliff
February 10, 2021 12:14AM
I believe it is going to Georgia.
February 10, 2021 03:00AM
Hey folks,

I know this is a hot topic lately so I'm passing this along in case you haven't seen it.. This is part one of two. More info to come...

[forums.tarsaccisales.com]

-Kerry
February 10, 2021 03:15AM
Here is part two...

-Kerry
February 10, 2021 03:23AM
Since we're on a roll, here is the link to Keith's test video with the 12 inch coil. Enjoy!

-Kerry
February 10, 2021 05:07AM
Okay.
Let’s see that 10” dime again using disc mode. And leave detector settings as they are after detecting (if detector will detect) and then proceed to walk around and sweep detector. Let us hear.

And need to see how that 13” deep nickel sounds both in disc and mixed mode. And again after detecting walk around a d let us hear detector as it is being swept.
February 10, 2021 11:31AM
tnsharpshooter Wrote:
> Okay.
> Let’s see that 10” dime again using disc mode. An
> d leave detector settings as they are after detect
> ing (if detector will detect) and then proceed to
> walk around and sweep detector. Let us hear.
>
> And need to see how that 13” deep nickel sounds bo
> th in disc and mixed mode. And again after detect
> ing walk around a d let us hear detector as it is
> being swept.

TNS, If it hits in AM/D it will hit in Discrim at -30. I have tested it dozens of times switching back and forth. The AM/D is (to me) is an awakening noise with that little disc peep at the end that tells to dig, or not. I'm liking AM/D. If you want to know if there is iron around, you can set disc to discriminate of your choice, but still hear the iron, of course.
I don't recommend it in machine gun target areas, it will fill your head up. I also would liked to hear that deep nickle... .. . my guess is it will hit it.
February 10, 2021 11:36AM
AM/D is mixed mode right??

RR
February 10, 2021 09:48PM
Rivers rat Wrote:
> AM/D is mixed mode right??
>
>
> RR

Yes RR, Ha! that term mixed mode escaped my brain when I was posting, so I had to come up with AM/D ( All Metal, Disc), sorry about that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2021 09:50PM by ozzie.
February 11, 2021 05:37AM
ozzie Wrote:
> tnsharpshooter Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Okay.
> > Let’s see that 10” dime again using disc mode.
> An
> > d leave detector settings as they are after dete
> ct
> > ing (if detector will detect) and then proceed t
> o
> > walk around and sweep detector. Let us hear.
> >
> > And need to see how that 13” deep nickel sounds
> bo
> > th in disc and mixed mode. And again after dete
> ct
> > ing walk around a d let us hear detector as it i
> s
> > being swept.
>
> TNS, If it hits in AM/D it will hit in Discrim at
> -30. I have tested it dozens of times switching ba
> ck and forth. The AM/D is (to me) is an awakening
> noise with that little disc peep at the end that t
> ells to dig, or not. I'm liking AM/D. If you want
> to know if there is iron around, you can set disc
> to discriminate of your choice, but still hear the
> iron, of course.
> I don't recommend it in machine gun target areas,
> it will fill your head up. I also would liked to h
> ear that deep nickle... .. . my guess is it will h
> it it.

Good info Ozzie.

Btw.
I have Tarsacci unit. Just not the new 12” coil.

I have tested Tarsacci.
Some thing here I’ll mention.
And maybe Mr Dankowski can weigh in.

Question.
Do all soils when wetter vs drier,, will they be linear in their presentation using say Fisher F75 meter that’s is used to check for ground mineralization?
The reason i am bringing this up.
I have a field where I both test and hunt using detectors.
Seems to me this field reads more mineralization on F75 meter. When ground is more wet vs drier.
And it seems to me the better performance with Tarsacci comes with ground wetter vs drier.
And I don’t hunt much in this field (area) in the summer. Most times I can’t due to hay.
So most of my hunting in this area is when ground is wetter vs drier.

So, could I (we) expect a detector that is better in higher mineral soil to get better depth where F75 meter says minerals are higher. (Even though this may be driven somewhat at least by soil moisture?

This is really the reason I have been hesitant to post videos comparing or even showing Tarsacci.

PS
I have seen Me Dankowski mention this briefly one time some time ago. Don’t think he dove into much with info though.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2021 05:55AM by tnsharpshooter.
February 11, 2021 11:29AM
TNS.

I have only come across 3 bar soil in the short (less than 100hrs) time with the MDT. I would bring along the F-75 to get a reading. It would be easier to have a hand held meter to measure the mineral concentration of the soil.

Anyway, to answer your question I would be guessing. My guess is that the moisture would enhance or "light up" or amplify the minerals in the soil, possibly even changing them chemically. So, if the MDT is supposed to use the minerals as a boost so to speak, then I'd guess the wet soil or damp soil would be a plus++.

If the MDT ignores the minerals like they were barely there, then I'd guess that the wetness of the soil wouldn't matter.
Sorry for the guessing. When the snow clears I will keep your thoughts in mind and try to clear that up.
February 11, 2021 01:52PM
Here's Keith's second test video. I'll post it here so its easily found, but its also got its own thread now.

February 12, 2021 11:46AM
Moisture content of soil does play a roll in detection performance. When soil is wet..... two (forefront) parallel things happen. First...... the water 'activates' the iron targets. If you are in carpets of nails..... wet dirt is a bad thing. The nails are more 'lit' when wet. Easier to detect.
Secondly........if the soil has a higher level of minerals.....wet soil will also 'activate' the lateritic oxides of iron in the soil. "Hot" dirt will become "hotter"....when wet.
This is crippling on VLF units. Since the Tarsacci is hardly a VLF unit...... it is substantially less affected by wet/hot dirt. . . . . . as compared to all other VLF units.
February 19, 2021 10:52PM
I just received this from Dimitar....... and was given the 'go-ahead' to post it:

Here is the MSRP price list for all Tarsacci products:

MDT8000 with standard 11X9 coil: $1495
MDT8000 with 12"coil: $1585
MDT8000 with 11X9 and 12" coils: $1760
MDT-11X9 coil $270
MDT-12 coil $360
Coil cover for MDT-11X9 coil $12
Tarsacci headphones $45
February 20, 2021 06:20AM
Okay, who's going to buy a production model 12-inch coil and create some videos while using it on the beach?

If no one else does, I might do it myself. I'll be on Southern and Central California (salt-water) beaches.
February 21, 2021 01:28PM
TallTom....... if you have black sand saltwater AND have the time to video the 12" coil..........especially comparing to EQX........ that would be wonderful!
February 22, 2021 01:21AM
My immediate area has only a small amount of black sand, but I can get to some a few miles away.
I'll plan to hit those beaches too.
February 22, 2021 01:30AM
Ok. That's really good to know!

How does the EQX and the Tarsacci (with its standard coil) handle that wet-salt black sand?
February 22, 2021 11:53AM
I've always tried to avoid the black sand beaches, based on earlier experiences
with previous detectors that didn't like them at all, so I've only worked my MDT 8000
on some beaches with streaks of black here and there. The MDT 8000 has
handled those well.

But if Dimitar sells me a 12-inch coil, I'll do some tests and videos
of the blackest sand I can find near me, and I'll talk my Nox buddies
into joining me.
March 07, 2021 02:27PM
Nasa Tom is there any reason you would not use salinity balance when hunting on land. Understanding it can be helpful to navigate through foil or small rust particles. Is there a situation where it would be a detriment. If anyone else wants to had their opinion feel free thanks Mike

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2021 03:45PM by gman.
March 08, 2021 01:13AM
Mike...... my answer is going to appear to be vague; yet, that is not my intent.

Yes...... if you are inland hunting for coins in an ocean of can-slaw...... use a low Freq in concert with Salt Balance (in the higher SB numbers range).
If you are inland hunting for low conductors.....try NOT to use Salt Balance..... UNLESS your specific locale mineralization is lateritic (iron-based) dirt. Some inland salts may also require Salt Balance 'ON'; yet, this will need to be tested.......to see/witness/experience what your local dirt conditions generate. And..... if you are low-conductor hunting...... try to use 18Khz.
And........ there's even been two occasions whereby.... Salt Balance mitigated 'some' EMI....,,,,,......and I used it just exactly for such condition(s). (((This incursion was totally unsuspecting.......and the utilization of Salt Balance for such conditions...is not obvious))).
March 08, 2021 01:27AM
Another observation noteworthy of mention:

Especially 6.4Khz (yet, to some degree....also 18Khz)...... requires 'solid nails' to even report (be detected). Little slivers of iron...... flecks & flakes of iron......are nearly completely ignored by MDT. As if to be 'time-domained' out. ------Other platforms/detectors..... will audibly report......some of them.....to the point of being audibly: 'fatiguingly busy'.
March 08, 2021 11:24PM
Spent some time with Tarsacci in the field today. Nothing noteworthy find wise found. However think I caught Tarsacci doing a good unmask job. Was using 12” coil. Will post a pic of what I found. Lead. Unusually shaped. Not deep around 4-5”, could have been 5.5” deep. Was running 12khz. Changing freqs to 9 and 18k offered little difference. If anything 18khz offered tinge of improvement. Was using disc mode.
Was a one way signal as far as getting the jingle on one end of sweep, even on real controlled shorter sweeps. Thetone on other side of target when swept reported not harsh like iron does but not a clearer higher tone (more like a soft iron tone) unlike other side of target offers when swept. Even checked in mixed mode. About the same as far as the jingle on both sides of swing when target was swept. Screwed up and didn’t do a head to head. Had Eqx with me too. Shucks. Still though think I picked up on something with Tarsacci.

Dime in pic for scale.
[ibb.co]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2021 11:36PM by tnsharpshooter.
March 12, 2021 02:20PM
Another noteworthy observation......worthy of mention (and documenting): Hunting one small site completely ...in 6.4Khz. Then hunting the exact same site again .... but....this time.... in 18Khz. There are 'enough' targets that are 'lit up' in one frequency...((but not the other frequency)).....,,,,,,,,,....... that really drives home a 'value-added' tool-in-the-toolbox option.
(((All of this may sound/seem "obvious"...... until you try it a few times. It can be a real eye-opener))).