Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Documentary

Posted by JohnsonWagner 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Documentary
October 07, 2018 08:57PM
A Delaware based production company is seeking detectorists who live in, or near, the state to be featured in a documentary. We plan to cover Coin Beach in Sussex County and various parks and farms throughout the tri state area. Please email johnsonwagner@mail.com or respond to this post if interested or if you know anyone who might be interested. Thank you.
Re: Documentary
October 07, 2018 09:09PM
Uh,Oh. Bad News for Delaware. I wonder how long after they make the film will all spots get closed to People swarming there? Ha.
October 07, 2018 09:53PM
The less attention to our hobby the better.----Aren't they EVER going to learn??
October 08, 2018 12:31AM
this is so true! i think these people have something going on upstairs!..this is so "obtuse",as to not even be worth mentioning!..anything for a buck,and to hell with everybody else! "to thine own self be true?" bill shakespeare..circa: 1510

(h.h.!)
j.t.
October 08, 2018 01:02AM
Just watch the Hoover Boys.
October 08, 2018 07:22AM
I hope nobody shows up for the audition. These kind of things never end well for the hobby and do more harm than good, if there is any good at all.
October 08, 2018 01:25PM
Some Mush Heads will show up thinking they will "show the world" what a wonderful for mankind hobby this is,but they don't know Anything about film editing.
These"production" companies depend upon NOTORIETY to launch themselves.
October 09, 2018 03:28PM
to state the "obvious" exposure like this IS severely detrimental to the hobby.it creates unwanted attention,and gets sites shut down,due to "carelessness" and a f**k you,yay for me attitude.
not to mention,possible "horrendous" digging technique..been at this for over 35 years.do NOT draw attention to yourself in any way because the end resultant is ''always" toxic to the hobby.

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2018 03:35PM by jmaryt.
October 09, 2018 04:05PM
jmaryt Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> to state the "obvious" exposure like this IS sever
> ely detrimental to the hobby.it creates unwanted a
> ttention,and gets sites shut down,due to "careless
> ness" and a f**k you,yay for me attitude.
> not to mention,possible "horrendous" digging techn
> ique..been at this for over 35 years.do NOT draw a
> ttention to yourself in any way because the end re
> sultant is ''always" toxic to the hobby.
>
> (h.h.!)
> j.t.

Yep a few years back I mentioned how these type shows would end up hurting the Hobby and a lot of People jumped down My throat on this very Forum. I said then it would take getting 'Their' public sites closed to understand. I guess People are seeing what I was talking about. Eventhough I am sure someone who still has their sites open will come to their defense. But like I said then and now, What goes around comes around.
October 09, 2018 04:50PM
It's not just detecting that is under fire. It is like that in every hobby I have. No matter what outdoor hobby you choose, somebody somewhere doesn't like you doing it and wants to put a stop to it.

I used to love to fish. Fishing is under attack by the animal rights people that say it is barbaric and cruel. They want it stopped. I live near Lake Chickamauga, which is one of the top ranked bass fishing lakes in the United States. It gets a ton of publicity due to magazines and TV shows covering the huge bass that come out of it. Therefore it also attracts anglers from all over the country to come here and fish. During high profile tournaments, they are often protested by these groups, even going so far as to throw roofing nails in boat ramp parking lots, and or forming human chains across the boat ramps to hinder people from launching bass boats. So the fisherman get it from the anti fishing crowd. But then the fisherman dish it out to the pleasure riding crowd. Fisherman are at war with the ski boats, personal water craft, etc. They want THAT put to a stop due to the waves/wakes they create. Their main argument though is that fisherman have to pay a licenses every year to be able to use the water ways, and that money goes into providing lake access via boat ramps. The pleasure craft people do not have to pay a fee, and use the same ramps and water. What it boils down to is everybody wants the lake to themselves. This could go for anything though...I just use fishing as an example.

The same goes with parks and other public areas. People that enjoy flying drones and RC aircraft, can't do that without people without drones complaining about it. People that enjoy dogs and walking them in the public areas, catch flak from the people that aren't dog friendly and don't want the dogs in THEIR park. People that take their children to the park to play, sometimes encounter people that give them heck about that....saying their children are too rowdy, too loud, or I've even heard one lady telling another that she had too many kids and should probably keep her legs closed!! I've actually seen and heard that one in person several times at the grocery store checkout lines! No joke and I'm not making that up. I enjoy going to the beach and I wont lie...I like seeing the scenery of scantily clad beach honeys...while at the same time, I know there are some women that will complain about that very thing because their beach body looks like a busted can of biscuits and they are jealous that people aren't paying them any attention. In the back of their mind they are probably wanting dress code restrictions put in. haha.
October 09, 2018 05:12PM
Interesting view of the hypocrisy here when this attempt to get people to go on a video is met with such disdain while similar videos from individuals whose body mass index(BMI) exceeds their IQ continuously post videos of their hunts and it garners "attaboys".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2018 05:39PM by shoveler.
October 09, 2018 05:18PM
shoveler Wrote:
> Interesting view of the hypocrisy here when this a
> ttempt to get people to go on a video is met with
> such disdain while similar videos from individuals
> whose body mass index(BMI) exceeds their IQ contin
> uously post videos of their hunts and it garner "a
> ttaboys".

Ole' Calabash! Ha.
October 09, 2018 05:23PM
I'm still laughing at the "busted can of biscuits" look. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

I have lost some good sites due to someone wanting their name in print. This particular gentleman wrote up a very nice treasure hunting article for the mag about a nearby ghost town. He seemed so upset when he went back a year later and found the place all fenced and posted with no trespassing signs and couldn't for the life of him figure out what had happened to cause the sudden change.

We lost both a good detecting spot and a nice picnic area due to that.

I don't know what to expect for the documentary. Maybe they'll be on private land?

HH
Mike
October 10, 2018 03:57AM
Thank you to all who have replied. Our goal is to celebrate the hobby, so all of your concerns are well noted. Yes, we have secured permissions on thousands of acres of private farmland, but many of our participants wish to show off their own secret locations, which as you can imagine, they wish to remain so. We certainly appreciate all of the negative criticism, and we also welcome ideas that will reflect the hobby in a positive manner. Thank you again for your input.
October 10, 2018 05:38AM
Some Treasure magazines are the Treasure TV sitcoms of yesturday. I'm not saying all magazines....but some past publications have fantasized the hobby. Only meant to spark "gold-fever" and advertise detector products....never any learned tips. Everybody gets into it. True story......The other day I thought I seen a guy putting up fence (because he had a post-hole digger)....until I seen he also had a metal detector (private vacant house). No wonder some cities have outlawed digging in public parks. Between TV, publications, and the internet hope we don't celebrate the hobby to death.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2018 05:44AM by Arkansas.
October 10, 2018 03:00PM
Yep People are to lazy to use a hand digger anymore.
I forgot it cuts a neater plug. Ha!
I could see if You were some old disabled Guy who could not bend over. But these Young strong Guys are just too lazy to bend over.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2018 04:10PM by Harold,ILL..
October 10, 2018 04:37PM
I thought the couch potatos had lost interest in the detecting/treasure hunting programs since they can only "find" obviously planted items. My read is that this 'producer' needs to buy a Clue somewhere.
October 10, 2018 07:02PM
Reading between the lines....Is that a requirement for participation, to take you to my own hunt sites and tell you the history and let you film?

Why would anyone in their right mind want to show off their own secret locations on cable/internet TV.. Oh... and risk confiscation of all their relics when an Archie gets jealous of their collection.

I dunno.

HH
Mike
October 10, 2018 08:12PM
Mike Hillis Wrote:

>
> Why would anyone in their right mind want to show
> off their own secret locations on cable/internet T
> V.. Oh... and risk confiscation of all their rel
> ics when an Archie gets jealous of their collectio
> n.
>
> I dunno.
>
> HH
> Mike

Ego , face time , narcissism , incorrigibility , lack of self respect , just plain stupidity,,,,take your pick.
The key words in your question are "right mind".
Equally valid question is , why do others support and therefore enable/encourage the idiots to continue to do it?
October 10, 2018 10:08PM
money! "shakespeare circa 1510: "to thine own self be true!"

(h.h.!)
j.t.
October 10, 2018 11:18PM
JohnsonWagner, your good manners and grace under fire is noted and appreciated, but...

I can't help but be skeptical of anyone whose first post on this forum is trolling for so-called "documentary" participants.
October 11, 2018 12:10PM
This is the reaction I picture in my head when ole Harold sees a video with somebody using a shovel or the mention of the word shovel ha! 1b8nc8 by Daniel Teague, on Flickr

The metal detecting community as a whole, is relatively small compared to other hobbies out there. Just a quick example...the Hoover Boys are arguably one of the more popular metal detecting U-Tube channels and they have 37,000 subscribers. Their latest video launched yesterday and has had a respectable 8k views. Compare that to one of the U-Tube firearm channels I watch (Demolition Ranch) and Matt has 5.9 MILLION subscribers and his latest video already has 2 million views....and his videos average 6 million views by the time they've been out there for people to find. That's quite a difference. Within the small metal detecting community, there are niches of people doing videos. You have the beach hunters, the park coin hunters, relic hunters, old coin hunters, some do a little of it all, and some just do detector comparisons and or tests and don't have any hunt stuff out there. Each one has their own reasons for doing videos. There are some that I wont even watch, that have primarily the same interests as me...I just don't like their personalities or their video format. I have very few that I do watch to be honest with you. I do think some are in it for ego but not all. Some just like sharing with like minded people that have the same interests.
October 11, 2018 01:00PM
Ole Harold!!!grinning smiley--------He's a good ole boy though!thumbs down
October 11, 2018 01:21PM
You want to make money and have a sure fire hit? Make a documentary about me! smiling smiley
October 11, 2018 02:31PM
You should never use a 'Shovel' in a park type setting.
Out in the woods or private property with the owners permission is Fine. I don't know why some people find that hard to see is all. And I am not alone in that statement.
I guess common sense is not that common anymore.
October 11, 2018 02:40PM
Common and sense these days are neither.
Interesting how if you infer disgusting and obnoxious it always seems to go back to the same "toober"
Is there more than one "BOOM BABY" in the hobby
October 11, 2018 02:41PM
I guess dem' Hoover Boys are the rage. I watched a couple of their Vids. At least they use shovels in their proper place. Personally watching others does not do it for Me. Rather do it Myself. Plus You never know how much is real or planted. And don't tell Me some don't do it. Them Guys who find silver every hunt are planting finds no doubt.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/2018 03:13PM by Harold,ILL..
October 11, 2018 03:56PM
Harold,ILL. Wrote:
> I guess dem' Hoover Boys are the rage. I watched a
> couple of their Vids. At least they use shovels in
> their proper place. Personally watching others doe
> s not do it for Me. Rather do it Myself. Plus You
> never know how much is real or planted. And don't
> tell Me some don't do it. Them Guys who find silve
> r every hunt are planting finds no doubt

Hello world!
October 11, 2018 06:26PM
Harold,ILL. Wrote:
> Yep People are to lazy to use a hand digger anymor
> e.
> I forgot it cuts a neater plug. Ha!
> I could see if You were some old disabled Guy who
> could not bend over. But these Young strong Guys a
> re just too lazy to bend over.

and too 'stupid" too!..give the rest of us a break!..lose the sampson in nice areas! ."think!"

(h.h.!)
j.t.
October 11, 2018 06:36PM
shoveler Wrote:
> Interesting view of the hypocrisy here when this a
> ttempt to get people to go on a video is met with
> such disdain while similar videos from individuals
> whose body mass index(BMI) exceeds their IQ contin
> uously post videos of their hunts and it garners "
> attaboys".

tell me,smart a*s!..what so disdainful about wanting to"save" the hobby? no one gives two f**ks about your 'so-called" documentary,because long time experienced hunters KNOW that drawing this kind of attention only ends up with all kinds of real estate getting "torn up" both public,and private,for the sake of the almighty buck! ..all it does is create a "dominos effect" on all of us in the hobby,to the extent that over time,everybody gets "pitched" trying to hunt ANYWHERE!..keep the hobby "low-key"
so the vast majority can continue to enjoy it!

(h.h.!)
j.t.