Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Beach hunters

Posted by markg 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Beach hunters
July 02, 2018 10:37AM
I'm sure there's a lot of beach hunters hear and especially Tom. But I'd like to see how many have used the Equinox at a salt water beach and how did it do.
Re: Beach hunters
July 02, 2018 12:35PM
I think a lot of us are beach hunters only - me being one of them. The nox is doing just as well as any of my other machines. In the last 2 months I have found 1 gold ring and about 15 silver pieces of jewelry, which is pretty average for me. So it seems great! Its lighter than my other machines and cost so much less. I will say out of all of the machines I have had I preferred the Excal the most (except it was too fragile) and the CZ21 2nd. I just enjoyed hunting in all metal. The CTX and Nox are nice but I don't like hunting by beeps, you just lose those faint whispers that you get from all metal.

Nox600, CTX, CZ21, Excal II and White's DF with 920i stealthscoop...I live and hunt at the beach in Wilm NCsmiling smiley
July 02, 2018 01:01PM
I've had my NOX 800 for a short time, I've only been to the beach with it once so far and only hunted for about 3 hours with it on the towel line and in the surf.

I live in South Florida and our beaches have very mild mineral conditions compared to other beaches.
I did not experience any falsing in beach 1 except when running my coil over beach cabbage "sea weed" which during early summer covers our beaches and makes a difficult mess of everything.

I hunted in unmodified beach 1 mode in the dry sand and wet sand, both towel line and close to the surf line and found that the target i.d.'s were highly accurate. All of the clad that I found
came in at the expected VDI numbers. Clad quarters came in consistently at around 29-30, clad dimes averaged 25. Stinking Lincolns at 20/21 and I only found one nickle at 13 which I guess would be normal.
The virtual ocean of pull tabs came in at 14 every time I hit one. I was not sure if it was going to be a clad nickle or a tab so I dug quite a few.
Most of the clad was found between 7 to 10 inches of depth.

The clad was found in both dry and damp sand but the numbers did not deviate. As long as I stayed clear of the beach cabbage, it was the easiest beach machine I've ever used.
I did find a small piece of 18k gold chain, a few inches long with a target i.d.of 3 and a deep +12" beaver tail pull tab with an i.d. of 16.

The wet sand and surf did not have the usual negative effects while operating in Beach 2 mode.

Overall.............
The salt did not effect my hunting in the same way that other detectors are forced to be used in all metal or with very low sensitivity.

So far the only negative issue that I've encountered is that the depth scale is extremely unreliable and mostly useless.

HH Th'ers

Up to my ____ in Pulltabs, Grant
July 02, 2018 03:39PM
Overall, I,preferred my CZ-6 for the salt water - wading. Nice and quiet with solid hits on targets. I can’t prove it, but I’m pretty sure it is deeper than my Nox when the Nox is in Beach 2 - which is the only usable mode in running salt water as far as I can determine.

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold
July 02, 2018 10:50PM
Its as good as anything out the in the water...... and id say in the wet sand better. Ive not found anything the other MLs wouldnt find YET. I got one today......... 9999 (24K) It was OPEN and about 6 inches down, i believe other missed it because i just got a short bleep. Being open i highly doubt the CTX would have hit it. I was running lower sensitivity.... 18, no IB, recovery 4. I was using a very low(4) iron volume and using it as sort of a threshold and adjusting the sensitivity based on the hard pan. Thou not as smooth/refine as the CTX there are just lot i like about this machine for beach hunting....... travel, and dirt/raw gold hunting if i want. Its a pretty simple machine...... once you get the tones the way you want things.......its about listening and reducing the noise the detector likes to produce from the ground minerals. Not many machines in this price range this good for beach hunting ...... and IMO its better than ML expected as a beach machine. Ive had mine little over 3 months........ ive done pretty well. But if you are expecting micro gold or extremely small gold in the water ... i dont feel thats going to happen. Thou it does seem to get better sensitivity on smaller gold a bit deeper than the other MLs.

Dew
July 03, 2018 12:33AM
I recently vacationed at Daytona and St. Augustine Beach. Bill_S let me use his 800 to see how I liked it in the salt. I ran in Beach 2, tracking on, 2 tone, iron bias 3, sens at 17 and it purred like a Kitten! I really liked this machine in the Ocean! Here is one of my Beach Videos where I hit a sweet ???? well you'll have to see for yourself...... You can skip to around 9:12 to see the dig. Or just watch the whole video if you want to? Click the "gear" on the lower right of the video and chose 1080 HD for the clearest video. [youtu.be]

Kenny
[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2018 01:03AM by khouse.
July 03, 2018 01:03AM
Kenny -- You metal detected in those videos? Haha loved the series. Beach booty beauties! Where's the LIKE button? I had watched those a few days ago and had no idea it was someone on the forum. I even commented on one of them, liked and subscribed.
July 03, 2018 01:16PM
My CZ20 gets a bit more depth but the lighter weight and adjustable recovery speed of the Equinox makes up for it.

July 03, 2018 10:10PM
Daniel Tn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Kenny -- You metal detected in those videos? Haha
> loved the series. Beach booty beauties! Where's t
> he LIKE button? I had watched those a few days ag
> o and had no idea it was someone on the forum. I
> even commented on one of them, liked and subscribe
> d.
The scenery was right in front of me. I couldn't edit them out.
July 03, 2018 11:09PM
Scenery is important...smileys with beer