Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

155 years ago today - 2nd day at Gettysburg - today - our visit

Posted by lytle78 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
155 years ago today - 2nd day at Gettysburg - today - our visit
July 03, 2018 12:02AM
I’ve been to the battlefield twice. About 7 years ago on a frigid day in winter with a sharp north wind. In about 8 hours I moved around the whole tableau of the battle - all three days. I could do that because in 1958 I spent $5 (or so) on the new board game by a company called Avalon Hill - “Gettysburg”. I fought the battle dozens, maybe hundreds of times - by myself and against my friends. I knew the timetable of arriving forces to a “T”.

This visit now was hot and sultry - and the stinking trees are full of leaves - you can’t see nearly as well as I could the other time - plus my long-suffering wife from North Norway is only mildly interested in the details of our Civil War.

Having said all that, at the Visitor Center, we found a nice Park Ranger walking a small group through the whole ballet of the battle from day 1 to 3. Folks held cards representing the units - at Corps level. I naturally jumped at the chance to grab the 3rd Corps of the Army of the Potomac - Mad Dan Sickel’s outfit - which on day 2 - 155 days ago today - he proudly - without orders or informing Meade the OIC - marched his whole Corps down from their place on the Union left/center on Cemetery Ridge onto a small rise ahead of the line - madness!

The funny thing is that Longstreet’s First Corp of the Army of Northern Virginia was forming up for an attack on the position Sickles marched out of. Of course they met - Peach Orchard, Wheat Field and the rest. The 3rd Corp was mauled. The funny part is that Longstreet’s blow against the line on Cemetery Ridge was never delivered - spent on the 3rd Corps who were in advance of the main line of resistance.

The result of attacks on the extreme left and the extreme right of the Union line apparently led Lee to conclude that the Union center had been thus weakened - his conclusion - attack on day 3 - tomorrow - Pickett’s Charge and the so called “High Water Mark of the Confederacy”.

So here’s a silly photos of me and some folks in the demo at at the Visitors Center and then a link to an interesting Military History article about the luck of fools.

[medium.com]

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2018 12:19AM by lytle78.
Re: 155 years ago today - 2nd day at Gettysburg - today - our visit
July 03, 2018 01:08AM
I like it Rick. And now we can put a name to a face!
July 03, 2018 09:17AM
I live two counties over to the east. Southern troops never had an option of making it this way because the union burned the bridge over the Susquehanna river. It sure is hot.
July 03, 2018 10:13AM
Like the history lesson, thanks.
My Great Great Grandfather was wounded on the 2nd days battle of Gettysburg. I have the mangled mini ball they extracted from him...also have his discharge papers signed by Charles H.T. Collis. He served in 114th Pennsylvania Infantry.
July 03, 2018 11:46AM
Rick---you Handsome Dawg you!! LOL
July 03, 2018 02:58PM
Nice Rick!!!

Wish I was there Today..July 3rd...

Maybe be one day..
Got to be a humbling experience to be on such historic ground..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
July 03, 2018 07:33PM
There is a great program of guided walks - you can go with a guide on the exact footsteps of those who attacked, defended, reconnoiterd - I sdon’t Know if if it’s just because of the anniversary days, but looked very interesting. Sadly with the 90 degree + heat and high humidity us “dry heat” desert rats weren’t up to it - I hate sweating - it’s so undignified and in AZ I never sweat - it simply evaporates as it happens.

I did get to tell the nice young Ranger my story of how I saved the Rhode Island Statehouse from certain (eventual) destruction by a loaded 12 pounder Napoleon gun-howitzer under the rotunda (true - by the way) - he looked politely interested - knew about how the cannon was found to be actually loaded, but probably thought I was making up the part about me being the one to figure it out and told the security guard on a Saturday - gun gone early the next week to be “unloaded”.

Rick Kempf
July 04, 2018 03:43AM
I get over to Gettysburg quite a bit. I live in Carlisle PA. I actually took part in one of the battle walks they put on pcn years ago. We helped repulse Pickett's change lol. It's a nice park for sure.
July 04, 2018 04:03AM
If you like Gettysburg related stuff, a neat book to get that coincides with our hobby is "Gettysburg Battlefield Relics & Souvenirs" by Mike o Donnell. It has green covers.
July 04, 2018 02:55PM
Nice pic, but shouldn't you (Sickles) be missing a leg?

Enjoyed your post and the linked article was outstanding. Thanks.

My dad had a civil war 'bug." He took our family to Gettysburg many years ago when I was in my teens. I'm sure it would make a much bigger impression on me today!

Wayne
July 04, 2018 07:19PM
After I (Sickles) advanced he lost the leg. I dutifully hopped back to “Cemetery Ridge” on one leg, but my wife missed the dramatic moment.

Rick Kempf