Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Minelab CTX 3030 vs Equinox 800

Posted by virginia digger 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: Minelab CTX 3030 vs Equinox 800
October 25, 2018 02:37AM
go-rebels Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Used CTXs on EBay fetch $1200-1300; NOX gets $725-
> 750. Detectorists still feel that the CTX is wort
> h $500 more.
>
> I don’t understand it.

I understand it completely,but we are likely two very different hunters. I hunt nothing but junky turf and need the best ID on the market. Someone else might relic hunt,or beach hunt,or something else...or they dig everything they hear anywhere they go...but there’s no time in my schedule for all that. To be successful at what appeals to ME, I need the features of the CTX. Oh yeah...it has a freakin’ CLOCK!smiling smiley
As soon as I feel all angles have been exhausted on the CTX,I’ll look to see what’s on the market at that time. But I do feel the CTX is worth the extra cash in build quality,features and ability to coinshoot,and do it extremely accurately.
October 25, 2018 02:50AM
go-rebels Wrote:
> Used CTXs on EBay fetch $1200-1300; NOX gets $725-
> 750. Detectorists still feel that the CTX is wort
> h $500 more.
>
> I don’t understand it.

Those $1200 and $1300 CTXs are probably off warranty. Ones on warranty get a bit more.
What is the NOX going to be worth when it's off of warranty and the next button push could be a $400 or $500 bill for a new control pod,,,,$100?
Doesn't make any difference really because about then the EQ 1500 will come out and it will have the CTX smart screen and FeCo VDI system. If they leave off the GPS you might be able to get it for less than 2 grand and you can keep the unsellable NOX for a backup if it still works.
I hope they keep the clock...........
October 25, 2018 09:31AM
There are so many iffy signals out there that just need to be investigated by being dug up. Yes the CTX is probably the best at identifying good coin targets. Those targets are only a portion of what we encounter. The old saying still has merit......."If you don't have trash in your pouch you left coins in the ground."
October 25, 2018 10:59AM
goodmore Wrote:
> There are so many iffy signals out there that just
> need to be investigated by being dug up. Yes the C
> TX is probably the best at identifying good coin t
> argets. Those targets are only a portion of what w
> e encounter. The old saying still has merit.......
> "If you don't have trash in your pouch you left co
> ins in the ground."

Absolutely true,and that is COMPLETELY understood. It’s just that someone ELSE is going to dig those up,and that is the game I play. Life is chance,it’s how we manage that chance to be the most effective and efficient at what we do. Personally,my coin to trash ratio is so high because there is a set of “rules” in place that are applied to EVERY potential coin target. The hunters who repeatedly exceed 100 silver coins per year will tell you that they also hunt with a set of rules in place,much like a QC process in manufacturing. The CTX is PHENOMENAL at giving me a signal with certain information(the “product”) and then it’s up to me (the QC inspector) to determine if that product passes muster as I go through my examination. After thousands of targets dug in just under 3 years with the CTX,there’s been no need for me personally to start digging targets that don’t “pass muster”. Ive come to the conclusion that the person who came up with the term “iffy” didn’t know what the hell they were doing. Either I’m going to dig a target that has a VERY HIGH potential to be a coin or I’m not. Example....an OLD village park close to my home with VERY DEEP coins (10-11”) where the modern trash layer STOPS at 6-7” with NON-MINERALIZED SOIL. 3 out of 4 factors the machine has no idea about, so it’s up to ME to pay attention to these additional factors and with the information supplied by the CTX to come up with a “yes or no”. Because the information from the machine is incredibly accurate to a very high degree,it becomes less of a game of chance and “iffy” signals, and more of a tried and true method of finding old coins.
Don’t get me wrong,I dig some trash at times. But without the Smart Screen,FECO display and an accurate depth meter,I’d be out of business.
October 25, 2018 12:28PM
The bells and whistles are for those want to pull coins and rings out of the non-ferrous trash. For that you need complicated discrimination and complex Target ID processes.

Relic hunters on the other hand, dig every non-ferrous target so their machines can be simpler and less expensive. All I need a machine to do is separate ferrous from non-ferrous and locate deep targets. Target ID gives you the enjoyment of suspense that it might be a coin but it isn't entirely necessary.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2018 11:57PM by Badger in NH.
October 25, 2018 02:09PM
With me it is just the opposite. Nothing I like better than hunting an area that someone hunted with their top end detector and pulling some good stuff. For some reason that brings satisfaction. To be honest except for crown caps in the dry sand area of a beach.....I really dont dig any more trash with the Equinox than I did with the CTX. And the only reason I am digging them is because I am after any VDI number looking for gold, and the digging is easy. In dirt those signals are passed by.
October 25, 2018 03:38PM
Gold? There’s no way I’d do what I’m doing looking for that! You’re right on IMO,being able to receive a hit at ALL in that situation would be way more important than TID. It goes to show that certain machines will excel at certain things,and a lot of it has to do with how the machine and operator gel. Weight seems to be a big factor with many also....it’ll be interesting to see if they try to meld the two in some way. I don’t know how the internals work or if it’s even possible. As long as things are working out for the individual it’s all good!
October 25, 2018 04:20PM
Weight is a real issue for me. If not I would still have the CTX and an Impact.
October 25, 2018 04:46PM
I find it a bit humorous watching people debate TID accuracy. It follows the same path every time a new detector is released. This thread has been about EQX vs CTX, but the same comments were said about the CTX vs the E-Trac, ad nauseum.

I really like the FECO display of the FBS detectors, but like Goodmore said, I'm not digging any more trash now than before. Its more about learning the detector's language. Honestly, the best TID I've seen in 36 years was the Garrett MH-7. But for the great TID, it sucked in heavy trash and its depth sucked (and was heavy and a battery hog). I'd rather have the EQX with its depth, speed, lightweight and "waterproofness" and simply learn its language than use a something with lowered abilities but more accurate TID.

As far as comparing the CTX to the EQX, they have differing abilities. With the CTX, it gave a very solid ID for copper and silver coins, but with low conductors that ID was apt to be much more variable. A jumpy low ID was very likely to be a wad of foil or canslaw although obviously solid targets like nickels were also equally jumpy (because I rarely dug those). Now look at the EQX. It uses a different set of primary frequencies which "flips the script" Low conductors like nickels tend to dead accurate, and much deeper. My nickel and gold count is incredible compared to anything before. I have also seen that deeper targets like silver dimes can be much more erratic compared to the CTX. But here is the difference. An erratic high conductor is much more likely to be a good target with the EQX. An erratic low conductor is much more likely to be trash with the CTX.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2018 04:48PM by silverfiend.
October 25, 2018 08:53PM
The Nox being the new hot and tasty flavour has the upperhand and the CTX is the one we just love to hate.

I’m a beach guy and at the moment pretty much in love with the Nox at the high tide line.

But give me an extra low spring tide with an offshore wind pushing the water even further out.
I want iron ID, GB, pinpoint button located in the wright spot, deep on mens gold rings, full enclosed headphones and a sturdy build.
And most and foremost, something that doesn’t beep at me, something that gives me a much more telling audio response.

And something mostly never talked about on metal detecting forums. Acurate tidal and weather/waveheight forecasts!

HH
Johnb
October 25, 2018 11:48PM
Different strokes for different folks

Next year will see at least two new alternatives for the beach. Will it change folks minds about the best tool for real treasure - gold?

None of the multifreaker detectors now available for salt water use are PARTICURLARY strong on gold.

Maybe this spring we will have new choices - we’ll see.

My Nox on wet black sand in San Diego last weekend managed only 7 to 8” on a nickel in beach 2. ID was 3. On the surface, ID was 13.

I don’t have a TDI anymore, but I’m pretty sure it could have done 10” with no problem.

Of course, maybe I’m over optimistic, but I want at least 15” in the same scenario.

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold
October 26, 2018 12:37AM
But then there really isn't another non PI detector that would do any better in that scenario.
October 26, 2018 12:43AM
thanks Mr. G - you nailed it...

You want deep gold (or small gold at depths greater than VLF’s (of any kind) can reach - up to now - you need a PI.

Of course, there all all those fishhooks, Bobbie pins, nails, nuts, bolts, steel bottle caps...

Will a PI with a useful level of iron ID ever appear?

If you have followed some of the stuff I have posted since June 2017, you know I have hope we will see one soon.

Rick Kempf
October 26, 2018 02:02AM
That's the bottom line to it. Detectors are just tools and there is not 1 perfect tool for everyone across the board. We have too many different needs. At the end of the day I just want the tool that puts the most goodies in my pouch and gets the job done.

If you really want to see mud slinging fights...and I mean literally and figuratively...go to an ATV/UTV forum and ask which is best and then run and duck for cover cause your post will cause at least a dozen people to be triggered. I've been in the market for a side by side utility vehicle to use on the farm for work. I've been to several dealerships looking at them. Watched dozens of YouTube reviews and comparisons. My conclusion is...95% of the people commenting on them, have never used one for work. Their recommendations comes strictly for trail riding and mudding. I had one Polaris sales guy that just didn't get it. I told him I wanted a 2 to 3 seater side by side with dump bed. And that I wanted it for hauling feed, hay, chainsaw, etc. Work. I was looking at a Ranger 570 XP and he says "if it were me, I'd get this new Polaris Rzr 800...that Ranger will only go 50 mph". It dawned on me that this poor boy had never once worked on a farm and didn't have any earthly idea what I wanted it for. He must have only sold side by sides to people that wanted to trail ride and that sort of stuff. Their needs and mine are totally different.
October 26, 2018 02:23AM
Really well put Daniel,that about sums it up. Only really having intimate knowledge of our OWN situation,it’s hard to accurately determine if something will “work” for someone else,for a variety of reasons. Some just want to sell you something,while others want you to UNDERSTAND what’s going on and how to use the information to your advantage,whether it’s a UTV or a detector. We are all very much “one of a kind”...
October 26, 2018 02:37AM
Gold - funny stuff. Dense, heavy for its size - sinks fast in beach sand, sorted and sifted by wave and tide action.

Want to find it? - get sensitive response from low conductors - at maximum depth that a given object is detectable. That isn’t 20 inches - if you are thinking about a slim engagement ring with a nice 3 karat flawless diamond solitaire - it’s maybe 9 inches - but if your detector can’t hear it at 9 inches, it will wait there for someone who can hear it.

VLF IB detectors have reached their limits on sensitivity - and depth is only a measure of sensitivity.

If we want to find what others have missed we need new tools. I have a Nox, I have a CZ, I have had a BHID, DFPI, TDI - none have changed the status quo - things remain pretty much where they have been since the last century (and we’re all old enough to remember that).

Remember that 7 to 8 inch nickel on my Nox last Sunday in San Diego? A nickel is a pretty good proxy for a gold ring - low conductivity, nice and round...

I want a machine which can reliably hit it at 17” - and ID iron at similar depth.

P.S. I think I know where I can get one - not yet...but hopefully before I get much older than my current 71 years - thanks to a smart and dedicated bunch of guys in Europe and another smart guy who “called their bluff” and “corralled” that “Euroteam” for those “hombres” in El Paso.

Sorry to be “little Johnny one note” but I have become convinced that this is real, its coming, and it will be important. The ultimate beach machine? Heck, I hope not...always there much be more to come...!

Rick Kempf

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2018 03:14AM by lytle78.
October 26, 2018 05:00AM
If you’re looking for a workhorse UTV.
Then get one of those John Deere 3 cilinder gasoline gators.
Has a suspension that is doable when unloaded, great when loaded.
A tranny geared to hauling stuff and a trailer if need be.
A chassis that can get stuck and survives being pulled out of the mud.
Beafier electrics and a mechanically activated rear difflock. The electric ones tend to seize up when not in use.

Polaris is at the forefront of new ideas in the UTV market and except for their millitary issue UTVs. Nothing that has been to Hell and Back.
John Deere knows their customers are all about hauling and dumping stuff and servicing the unit.
Canam is geared towards the fun part of it. Usually the most expensive part of it as well. But they are just so darn nice to drive.
And wrenching on them is a hobby for these people.

JD nothing new, nothing complicated, get’s the job done in comfort and survives it to tell the tale.

You local Stihl, JD, Polaris dealer :-)

Daniel Tn Wrote:
> That's the bottom line to it. Detectors are just t
> ools and there is not 1 perfect tool for everyone
> across the board. We have too many different need
> s. At the end of the day I just want the tool tha
> t puts the most goodies in my pouch and gets the j
> ob done.
>
> If you really want to see mud slinging fights...an
> d I mean literally and figuratively...go to an ATV
> /UTV forum and ask which is best and then run and
> duck for cover cause your post will cause at least
> a dozen people to be triggered. I've been in the m
> arket for a side by side utility vehicle to use on
> the farm for work. I've been to several dealershi
> ps looking at them. Watched dozens of YouTube revi
> ews and comparisons. My conclusion is...95% of the
> people commenting on them, have never used one for
> work. Their recommendations comes strictly for tr
> ail riding and mudding. I had one Polaris sales g
> uy that just didn't get it. I told him I wanted a
> 2 to 3 seater side by side with dump bed. And that
> I wanted it for hauling feed, hay, chainsaw, etc.
> Work. I was looking at a Ranger 570 XP and he say
> s "if it were me, I'd get this new Polaris Rzr 800
> ...that Ranger will only go 50 mph". It dawned on
> me that this poor boy had never once worked on a f
> arm and didn't have any earthly idea what I wanted
> it for. He must have only sold side by sides to p
> eople that wanted to trail ride and that sort of s
> tuff. Their needs and mine are totally different.

HH
Johnb
October 26, 2018 04:27PM
Fascinating, now, about this metal detector stuff......

Rick Kempf
October 26, 2018 04:50PM
lytle78 Wrote:
> Fascinating, now, about this metal detector stuff.

Oops :-)

HH
Johnb
October 26, 2018 05:49PM
lytle78 Wrote:
> Fascinating, now, about this metal detector stuff.
> .....

I don't see the original poster complaining. We do veer off on occasion.....nothing wrong with that.
October 26, 2018 06:15PM
Daniel Tn Wrote:
> That's the bottom line to it. Detectors are just t
> ools and there is not 1 perfect tool for everyone
> across the board. We have too many different need
> s. At the end of the day I just want the tool tha
> t puts the most goodies in my pouch and gets the j
> ob done.
>
> If you really want to see mud slinging fights...an
> d I mean literally and figuratively...go to an ATV
> /UTV forum and ask which is best and then run and
> duck for cover cause your post will cause at least
> a dozen people to be triggered. I've been in the m
> arket for a side by side utility vehicle to use on
> the farm for work. I've been to several dealershi
> ps looking at them. Watched dozens of YouTube revi
> ews and comparisons. My conclusion is...95% of the
> people commenting on them, have never used one for
> work. Their recommendations comes strictly for tr
> ail riding and mudding. I had one Polaris sales g
> uy that just didn't get it. I told him I wanted a
> 2 to 3 seater side by side with dump bed. And that
> I wanted it for hauling feed, hay, chainsaw, etc.
> Work. I was looking at a Ranger 570 XP and he say
> s "if it were me, I'd get this new Polaris Rzr 800
> ...that Ranger will only go 50 mph". It dawned on
> me that this poor boy had never once worked on a f
> arm and didn't have any earthly idea what I wanted
> it for. He must have only sold side by sides to p
> eople that wanted to trail ride and that sort of s
> tuff. Their needs and mine are totally different.

I’ll give my 2cents worth here.
Have bought Kubota, Polaris and Can Am all new.
For strictly work with little mudding kuboata tough as nails. You won’t wear one out. Maybe if you put 11,000 hours on it then you might.
John Deere, I have a cousin who has a SXS all models repair shop. They are the hardest to work on by far according to him. You have to do a lot of dissembling to do simple things.
Can am- gets my vote for work and play. Probably best belt clutch system out there.
I have the 1000 defender unit. A bud of mine has one too. He is very hard on his and it’s still ticking. He has had his for 2.5 years. Running same belt. No problems.
Mine I baby moreso but it works well.
A can am defender model with 800 cc engine will do nicely for work.
They have sizeable beds too.
Also they have a hot belt indicator and the engine goes to idle if the belt gets hot.
Only saw this one time with my buds when with him. He was riding gas pedal holding machine on real steep grade.
He has pulled some big loads with his too. Even up steep grades. And believe it or not he was in high range. I was with him a few times . It was unbelievable to see the rig climb so slow and steep in high gear and he has not burned or broken a belt yet.

A person down the road from me has one of those new AC and heat gators. So far so good, His last one had the same engine. Only problems he experienced was broken belts. He rides but he’s checking on cattle. Both faster speeds on the road and off road.

I will never buy another Polaris.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2018 06:17PM by tnsharpshooter.
October 26, 2018 10:16PM
lytle78 Wrote:
> thanks Mr. G - you nailed it...
>
> You want deep gold (or small gold at depths greate
> r than VLF’s (of any kind) can reach - up to now -
> you need a PI.
>
> Of course, there all all those fishhooks, Bobbie p
> ins, nails, nuts, bolts, steel bottle caps...
>
> Will a PI with a useful level of iron ID ever appe
> ar?
>
> If you have followed some of the stuff I have post
> ed since June 2017, you know I have hope we will s
> ee one soon.

The PI problem is the same with all detectors. PIs suffer from saltwater like all of them. When you change the sampling and pulse rates to compensate for saltwater, you lose sensitivity to gold. SO FAR there has been no PI that is both usable in the surf and highly sensitive to small gold. Large targets like mens rings are a different story. I'd like to see some head-to-heads between multis and PIs in the surf.
October 26, 2018 10:22PM
In the actual surf.......I would like to know how people dig deep holes. I can't. In the wet sand it is a different story.
October 26, 2018 10:28PM
goodmore Wrote:
> In the actual surf.......I would like to know how
> people dig deep holes. I can't. In the wet sand it
> is a different story.

I'm sure there a some on here that are far better than I am. Best I can manage is to use the biggest scoop possible, time my scooping to a slack in the waves and dig fast. I really dont like the surf zone, it plain sucks if the target is deep and when you have a good gold zone target and you know you are chasing it deeper and deeper until you cant detect it any more, it stinks. Wet sand, fine. wading depths fine. wash zone, work fast and hope for the best.
October 26, 2018 10:32PM
The common belief that PI detectors can’t run at short pulse delays in wet salt and or surf is apparently - as SF said - a matter of “SO FAR”. But maybe not anymore.

Carl Moreland, Chief Engineer at First Texas has reported that the Manta PI - soon to be Fisher PI - runs just fine in the surf at 6.5 microseconds delay. Seems it was just a matter of careful design and construction preventing PI’s in the past from doing it - not some iron law of physics. Here’s his post.

“I've taken the Manta out on Oregon beaches at 6.5us, with surf running over the coil. Surprisingly stable. Yes, if you pump the coil up & down a lot you will hear the salt, but with a normal swing very little salt noise.”

[www.treasurenet.com]

Rick Kempf

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2018 10:38PM by lytle78.
October 26, 2018 10:45PM
lytle78 Wrote:
> The common belief that PI detectors can’t run at s
> hort pulse delays in wet salt and or surf is appar
> ently - as SF said - a matter of “SO FAR”. But may
> be not anymore.
>
> Carl Moreland, Chief Engineer at First Texas has r
> eported that the Manta PI - soon to be Fisher PI -
> runs just fine in the surf at 6.5 microseconds del
> ay. Seems it was just a matter of careful design
> and construction preventing PI’s in the past from
> doing it - not some iron law of physics. Here’s hi
> s post.
>
> “I've taken the Manta out on Oregon beaches at 6.5
> us, with surf running over the coil. Surprisingly
> stable. Yes, if you pump the coil up & down a lot
> you will hear the salt, but with a normal swing ve
> ry little salt noise.”
>
> [www.treasurenet.com]-
> labs/576493-new-detector-fisher-soon-2.html#post58
> 03441

Yes, its a very exciting time! I have seen the testing videos of the manta unit and they are truly impressive. Now we have the detector soon to be released by Tom and his associates which may be equally capable. If I lived on the coast, I'd be throwing money to have one of the first ones.
October 27, 2018 02:10AM
For me, the incredible irony of all this is that the platform Alexandre and friends have developed will someday make a great relic/gold nugget machine. Meanwhile, I have good visibility for the program - for an outsider, since I spotted the original posts over on Geotech a couple of years ago and wouldn’t let go of the thread.

Now I will probably find that a wonderful new beach machine will come out - I can probably “finagle” an early example - but then I’m 7 hours from Sand Diego - then hotels - nice lunches to keep my wife happy ($80 with tip- based on last weekends experience) - crap.

Oh well, the land version will be along eventually, then I can resume my hunt for boot tacks, birdshot, bullets and - oh yes - maybe a nugget or a prized Arizona Territory token.

Rick Kempf
October 27, 2018 10:51AM
I think the biggest factor between them for salt water hunting comes down to price and weight. I dont believe anyone can really say how much difference there is once these machines hit the water. My beaches dont really require that extra recovery speed....... thus like was mentioned it depends on location. If im getting falsing on the CTX..... i can quickly see where its coming from on the smart screen and fix it. That nickel...... the CTX would have seen and given a good ID on. Nox IMO hits on the smaller higher K gold....... but many dont seem to care about those. Depth.... out there on larger gold..... its a coin flip to me... depending on how much depth the Nox looses over the CTX. Sorry...... but in the water..... i believe the CTX is more refined and gives a better ID.
October 28, 2018 12:06PM
Again, thanks for all the replies. As we all know, detector owners are passionate about their purchases. My initial question was only about the differences between the Nox and CTX as it related to relic and coin hunting. My thought was did Minelab incorporate new technology the CTX didn't have, thus making it as good as the CTX. With marketing set aside, does each machine when tuned to optimal settings, have the same capabilities for depth and discrimination. As technology advances, did Minelab borrow from their FBS machines all the great features and update them to bring us a new machine called the Equinox? Of course most folks who spent 2500.00 on a CTX would be inclined to say the Nox is as good because this is human nature. Its like comparing a SnapOn wrench to a Craftsman wrench. They will both tighten/loosen a bolt or nut. But the SnapOn wrench is made with better steel and cost 5 times as much. I think the bottom line is to own both if you can afford them. This is why we all have a closet full of unused machines and assorted equipment, myself included.
October 28, 2018 03:47PM
virginia digger Wrote:
> Again, thanks for all the replies. As we all know,
> detector owners are passionate about their purchas
> es. My initial question was only about the differe
> nces between the Nox and CTX as it related to reli
> c and coin hunting. My thought was did Minelab inc
> orporate new technology the CTX didn't have, thus
> making it as good as the CTX. With marketing set a
> side, does each machine when tuned to optimal sett
> ings, have the same capabilities for depth and dis
> crimination. As technology advances, did Minelab b
> orrow from their FBS machines all the great featur
> es and update them to bring us a new machine calle
> d the Equinox? Of course most folks who spent 250
> 0.00 on a CTX would be inclined to say the Nox is
> as good because this is human nature. Its like com
> paring a SnapOn wrench to a Craftsman wrench. They
> will both tighten/loosen a bolt or nut. But the Sn
> apOn wrench is made with better steel and cost 5 t
> imes as much. I think the bottom line is to own bo
> th if you can afford them. This is why we all have
> a closet full of unused machines and assorted equi
> pment, myself included.

Well, threads do tend to drift, sooooo to answer your specific points....
Minelab has stated the Equinox is a completely new platform. The "smart-IQ" tech is NOT an update on FBS, its completely new.

For capabilities, from my experience both are equally deep for silver coins but the EQX is superior on low conductors which was always a weakness for FBS.
I completely disagree that it's "human nature" to equate the EQX to the CTX simply because the CTX is more expensive. I use what works best, and would swing a $50 bounty hunter if it gave superior results. If you are strictly a silver hunter, I would call them equal in abilities.
Why would someone need to own both? I do own both and the CTX doesnt get used any longer. The EQX is lighter, packs smaller, easier to charge, has a better waterproofing design, has a true wireless headphone design, is superior on low conductors AND vastly cheaper. Why do I need to own both?

Only downsides of the EQX (in my opinion) is listening to huge volumes of tiny foil bits and digging crown caps. But all the gold this year makes up for those things.