Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Coastal detecting help

Posted by Edct 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Coastal detecting help
October 21, 2018 08:26AM
Recently moved to the shoreline, looking to do mostly beach detecting come spring. Currently have only the red racer.
What detectors should I look at that can do well on the beaches of New England?
I’m very intrigued with the up coming Fisher Manta and the MDT8k but cost might be an issue
Thanks in advance for suggestions.
Re: Coastal detecting help
October 21, 2018 12:11PM
Minelab equinox. Probably the best east coast beach detector out right now.

Nox600, CTX, CZ21, Excal II and White's DF with 920i stealthscoop...I live and hunt at the beach in Wilm NCsmiling smiley
October 21, 2018 03:10PM
If cost is a factor CZ's and Sov's work well and have for years even though so called old technology...Frequently come up on classifieds at decent prices...
October 21, 2018 03:14PM
+1 for the Equinox 600 or a used CZ.
October 21, 2018 06:10PM
I have both the Equinox 800 and a 20 year old Fisher CZ20.

The Equinox is very light, has super fast recovery speed and performs really well on the wet sand. The EQX 600 is only $650. The 600 is all you really need for the beach. Only consider the 800 if you will be hunting both beach and inland.

The CZ20 goes a little deeper but it is heavy and needs to be hip or chest mounted. Plus the headphones are hardwired and not very comfortable. Still a great detector even by today's standards and well worth it if you can get a used one cheap.

October 21, 2018 07:33PM
Thanks for these suggestions. I Will be looking into them.
October 22, 2018 02:13AM
If you aren’t going to get the control box wet. the Fisher CZ6 or CZ 5 perform the same as the CZ220/21 and weigh and cost less.

I have a CZ6 and an Equinox 600. At the beach, the CZ is deeper on any decent sized targets and ID’s steel bottle caps better.

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold
October 22, 2018 05:39AM
Thanks rick, ID’ing bottle caps will be important, even though my son has already nicknamed us, “the bottle cap hunters”.
I’m liking the price point of the 600, complete waterproof and mentioned on another forum that ML gives 15% off for military.

plenty of time to save for spring and who knows maybe the manta will be available.