Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Gary's UK Forum

Posted by Sven1 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Gary's UK Forum
October 21, 2018 06:25PM
Was just told by a friend in the UK, Gary has stopped charging a Gold membership fee to view forums. Its opened up as Free once again.
For those who want a different perspective on detectors and detecting, worth a visit. I have just logged in for the first time in 3? years and I can read all forums.
[www.garysdetecting.co.uk]

DeepTech Vista X with 3 search coils.
Works for me
Re: Gary's UK Forum
October 21, 2018 10:15PM
They're wanting login for me, in the U.K.
October 21, 2018 11:29PM
No go from me in the USA. Wanting login and claims my old user name is nonresistant so guess I wont be viewing after all.
October 21, 2018 11:53PM
Ah, so if I were to register, for free, I would see all the Forums, including the previously-hidden 'Gold member' ones.
I thought you meant they were viewable without logging in at all. The indexes are, but not the actual content.
October 21, 2018 11:53PM
I used my old email that I originally registered with and I had my password on file. Then updated my email, rec'd an email confirmation that I need to follow a link to finalize the change. When I did that a sign-in came up and auto populated my user name then just had to enter my password.

So not sure if your issue was using your email or user name when signing in. You may have to register or inquire about your original password or user ID?

Works for me
October 22, 2018 12:52AM
I can log in but get this message when I click on anything - An Error Has Occurred!
The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you.
October 22, 2018 01:01AM
I had a look at the dates in the sub forums for the last posts - a few in 2018, then 2017. Looks like not much going on. Maybe the “paywal” dried up participation?

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold
October 22, 2018 12:39PM
working fine for me with my old not used account for 2 years plus
October 22, 2018 05:29PM
HMMMM??

I joined that forum once then got my account deleted my admin.

said not enough post???

I had been posting.. I wasn't just going in posting to be posting on every thread..But I got a notice not enough participation..

Too bad it was a good site in my opinion and liked the UK info...Probably some of the best info I had seen for a UK forum...

Gary had a lot of multi brand machine info.but I think that maybe he has lately got tied up with XP exclusively ????I dont know as I cant read the forum..

I liked that Rogers relics site too...not sure its still up though??Long time ago...Pre Deus days he was the GMP souce for us here in the states.

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
October 22, 2018 10:15PM
Gary is all XP.
October 23, 2018 01:39PM
Like Tex said, Gary has turned into XP. No Deus, no joy.

HH
Mike
October 24, 2018 01:28PM
lytle78 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I had a look at the dates in the sub forums for th
> e last posts - a few in 2018, then 2017. Looks li
> ke not much going on. Maybe the “paywal” dried up
> participation?

yes indeed when he started charging a fee visitors fell off a cliff .looks like he has changed his mind about fees

rogers relics just stopped dead
October 24, 2018 04:31PM
Rogers is still going strong
October 25, 2018 11:23AM
[rogers-relics-uk.com]

nothing going on here .its dead
October 25, 2018 12:31PM
Diggers: Is it dead in the free section only, or are you an " 8 Pound a year" member that sees it all ?
October 27, 2018 03:45PM
we was a 5 pound member then it went up so didnt rejoin again
October 27, 2018 07:29PM
diggers Wrote:
> [rogers-relics-uk.com]
>
> nothing going on here .its dead

i am on there now browsing [rogers-relics-uk.com]
October 28, 2018 09:08PM
Hi Ski,
I had the same problem and emailed Gary.
Apparently one has to make 5 posts before the full forum opens up to them.
Cheers,
Drew.
October 28, 2018 09:12PM
With due apologies to all the Brits who read this - and all the wonderful folks from there who I worked with for so many years in Arabia...

What the Brits love is to start a club and then start planning who shall be kept out and what sort of torture those let in will have to endure first.

I present this not as an opinion, but as a fact - based on 40 years of working with those lovable, creative, cantankerous and overall wonderful folks.

Edit - I need to point out, this is NOT a class thing - Brits make rather more of their class issues than, IMHO, thy should. No, THIS is universal...If there had been a rag pickers’ club in Dickens’ time, certain rag pickers would have been let in - others shunned. If there were two rag pickers’ clubs, to join the one, you would have to sign an document promising to have nothing to do with the other. This is all TRUE. My dear friend who moved from the US to Oman not long ago (edit - I thought that happened to her in Lisbon - they moved there later - my wife corrected me - that’s what they are for - isn’t it?), wanted to join the local (started by Brits) dramatic society. She had to sign a pledge not to have anything to do with the other (also started by Brits) dramatic society in Lisbon.

As evidence of my qualification to opine on the matter, I can offer nothing more solid that what my postal address was not so many years ago...

Richard Kempf
The British Club
Abu Dhabi
United Arab Emirates

Pretty Posh - eh? Well....

Your mail would be in a little rack in reception - that way everybody could see what sort of people you were corresponding with.

Lovely country Britain - lots of wonderful people - wish I could afford to live there comfortably - I’d move ...

But their clubs......

Rick Kempf

Edited 9 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2018 10:37PM by lytle78.
October 29, 2018 01:28AM
I lived in UK for 2 years.
Seemed some there carried a chip on their shoulder towards Americans.
They thought their autos were better than ours, their beer, their darting skills and pool playing skiils.
Enter Tn sharpshooter to the UK, I changed more than a few folks minds as far as their darting and pool playing skills.
I would suspect this same attitude would be found in the detecting world there to as far as how they view and American as a detectorist.
And I think they link this (wrongly) I will add to the fact their country has significant older history than than ours.

Some folks there and likely even in the USA try and link detecting skill with actual age of items located and dug.
This correlation not necessarily congruent.
October 29, 2018 02:07AM
Oh well

Rick Kempf

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2018 03:43AM by lytle78.
October 29, 2018 03:43AM
on second thought - have fun everybody

Rick Kempf
October 30, 2018 10:16AM
rednecks are out in force on here ,i hear the sound of dueling banjos played by mountain men with no front teeth..have fun
October 30, 2018 05:18PM
There is an active, free UK metal detecting site at [www.metaldetectingforum.co.uk]. Quite comprehensive (if not overwhelmingly active) and worth checking out if you want to see what the Brits are doing with their detectors.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2018 05:29PM by Dubious.
October 30, 2018 10:00PM
Dubious Wrote:
> There is an active, free UK metal detecting site a
> t [www.metaldetectingforum.co.uk]. Quite co
> mprehensive (if not overwhelmingly active) and wor
> th checking out if you want to see what the Brits
> are doing with their detectors.

Registering is a nightmare unless you live in the UK, outside the UK such as the US and Canada you may never get a confirmation that you have been approved to post etc.
I got lucky with the help of an influential member I was approved. Then after a long while, could never log in again. After numerous requests etc., I gave up. At least the forum is open to read.

Works for me